Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 158 released

124»

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i was not reading through the other comments, but today it was the first time really playable (ignoring balance)
  • JohnnykeyJohnnykey Join Date: 2004-04-07 Member: 27768Members
    Thanks UWE for "stepping down" on the new bugs that the build 157 brought, in less than 24 hours.
    As for build 157, the only thing left to do was to nerf Lerks (as critical balance elements), though i don't mind waiting till rines can get HA or w/e that grants gas immunity.
    Can't think of anything else to point out, just hope that the performance gets better (and eventually, at least stable 30fps ALL the time) on my HD5850 someday soon.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Amazing work you are doing there !

Thanks UWE :)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    People are still assuming that every server is the same... A lot of them are just laggy, regardless of ping. Hard to say if it's the game's fault or the servers are no good.
  • JosemiteJosemite Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17770Members
    edited December 2010
    A couple observations:

Flamethrowers still blind and basically there's little to nothing an alien team can do against flamer spam... even without blinding the damage still feels a little to high, skulks die super fast to flamers.

Aliens have no real way to finish off marines if marines get tech, however that will probably change once the onos shows up (plus rockdown MS is crazy easy to defend). It seems like if aliens have 1 hive left they're completely screwed, if marines have 1 base left then it doesn't really matter.

Resources are way out of control, not sure how bad team resources are as I never really command.

Belly slide physics seem a little off, needs more friction and sliding uphill doesn't seem to have much effect

Lerks seem to float a bit too much, way to easy to gain altitude and hover there, can't really dive and such, still doesn't feel as crisp as NS1 was with the lerk

I think most of the other problems I have atm are really due to server and fps issues making it really hard to play/figure out where you are in combat situations

Overall showing great progress though, and with what I've seen so far I'm remaining rather optimistic about NS2.. .just hope the money holds out long enough that you can release it in a proper state :/

EDIT: oh and looking at a previous post, lerk (and possibly fade) abilities feel like they don't cost enough energy, you can spam a ridiculous amount of spores before it gets depleted
  • JohnnykeyJohnnykey Join Date: 2004-04-07 Member: 27768Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813491:date=Dec 4 2010, 10:51 PM:name=Josemite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josemite @ Dec 4 2010, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: oh and looking at a previous post, lerk (and possibly fade) abilities feel like they don't cost enough energy, you can spam a ridiculous amount of spores before it gets depleted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...while at the same time, the Lerk sniping consumes too much.
  • TestosteronTestosteron Join Date: 2006-12-29 Member: 59299Members, Constellation
    I had not followed the discussion regarding the issues with the previous versions so I joined the server today and thought "lets spam some hydras". Kinda ruined the game for everyone. Sorry bout that.

Regarding balance: I still think that the flame-thrower is too powerful. Playing as Skulk vs flamethrower is no fun at all.

By the way, I did a video interview with another playtester: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNCNQtQY_8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNCNQtQY_8</a>
  • spamilatorspamilator Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71283Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813646:date=Dec 5 2010, 09:15 PM:name=Testosteron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Testosteron @ Dec 5 2010, 09:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had not followed the discussion regarding the issues with the previous versions so I joined the server today and thought "lets spam some hydras". Kinda ruined the game for everyone. Sorry bout that.

Regarding balance: I still think that the flame-thrower is too powerful. Playing as Skulk vs flamethrower is no fun at all.

By the way, I did a video interview with another playtester: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNCNQtQY_8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNCNQtQY_8</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha genius! :D
  • DRagonDRagon Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18833Members, Constellation
    is ns2 copy required?
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813338:date=Dec 4 2010, 05:08 PM:name=CzT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CzT @ Dec 4 2010, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey there, I've preordered game long time ago, because of the special edition...

But I can't play the game. No, I can play NS2, but with 10-15 fps in game... I really love NS1, and want to play NS2, but it's too heavy to handle for my computer :(

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3000+
    2 GB 1066 MHz RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 220

And with these specs I have 10-15 fps...
    Is anything I can do to handle NS2 more smoothly?
    What computer do you have to handle this game? :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It may be your graphics card slowing things down - NS2 is pretty heavy on the shaders for the real-time lighting. One thing that might help is a free program called "Game Booster", just google for it. I have similar specs to yours but with a Geforce 8800XTX - GameBooster plus the latest patch optimisations have made the game playable for me at last!
  • WalhallaWalhalla Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43506Members
    <!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->- If you'll attackt by a Flamer, you can´t see anything and getaway is just luck
    - On Rockdown you have big problem´s with respawn on alien side. Yesterday we had a long long match and i was spawn more than 10 times in a Wall or so.
    - Hydra/ Turrent lags better but still too much.
    - Fade is too powerfull, if the mariens have just "normal" Guns and just lvl 2 Amory ect. you don´t get the Fade down.
    - Is´t rigth that you can bulid 5-6 Turrents on exact the same position? Turrent in a Turrent ????
    - Amory, sometimes the Amory in the first (main) Marinebase doesn´t work. You canßt buy wapons or regenerate your life or mun
    - Mac´s stuck in Walls, so you can´t move tham or attack

for now it´s all :)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
    edited December 2010
    i sent you an email UWE. You should pick me to be dedicated tester. I am bored of SC2. I got laid off for winter. I have sooooooo much free time. Also, I LOVE finding bugs. I find it fun. You guys really should pick me if you want someone on your dedicated team of testers to find a TON of bugs. Also, I would report them so neatly!!!!

<b>BUG REPORT</b>

<b>GAMEPLAY</b>
    <i>none, because I haven't been picked</i>

<b>OTHER</b>
    <i>you didn't pick me to be a dedicated tester yet</i>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1813850:date=Dec 6 2010, 02:48 PM:name=Walhalla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Walhalla @ Dec 6 2010, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->- If you'll attackt by a Flamer, you can´t see anything and getaway is just luck
    - On Rockdown you have big problem´s with respawn on alien side. Yesterday we had a long long match and i was spawn more than 10 times in a Wall or so.
    - Hydra/ Turrent lags better but still too much.
    - Fade is too powerfull, if the mariens have just "normal" Guns and just lvl 2 Amory ect. you don´t get the Fade down.
    - Is´t rigth that you can bulid 5-6 Turrents on exact the same position? Turrent in a Turrent ????
    - Amory, sometimes the Amory in the first (main) Marinebase doesn´t work. You canßt buy wapons or regenerate your life or mun
    - Mac´s stuck in Walls, so you can´t move tham or attack

for now it´s all :)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wheeee will rage at you :D

<!--quoteo(post=1813407:date=Dec 4 2010, 08:10 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Dec 4 2010, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really hated people who said turrents. always raged.
    also, this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wOQKYEgoY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wOQKYEgoY</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • asdhasdh Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67874Members
    just say try to play is imposicle have loads of lag with 60 ping <,<! same with you have 100 loss and choke ftw .
    is totally imposible hit another with realism melee same ,
    y have GTX 470 and i7 920
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    I was happy to see I made the video on the main page! It was a fun game and I had been working on these tactic for a few days and this game went flawlessly. A few issues I am having in this new build are.

1.If you are looking at serverlist while in a empty game and it is started the server screen will not drop and you can not move around and have to close out the game!

2. Mac will not drop task so if you send mac out to build then try to drop a armory he changes jobs you can click on other buildings to try to get it un locked from this task but is very difficult.

3.Mac will not track to his spot in a direct line

4. Mac has a hard time finding the power node in marine start and keeps #@@#@# going to the roof.

5. Marines need MINES!!!! it is a must.
    I will track more.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I dont know how some feel about it, but man I'd love some servers with people in them running something other than rock. Tram would be awesome, rock feels like the size of what you would expect for the combat game mode from NS1 rather than standard NS mode.
  • SirpokSirpok Join Date: 2005-03-15 Member: 45355Members
    This game will never take off like NS1. I think you lost the feel now not being on source engine. Finally after months I have been ab le to connect to a server. This game is no where near ready and I am not feeling anything about it other than the fade blink looks awesome. At this point I wish I could get a refund but ohhh well. I normally would post something longer and with more detail but my energy and time is depleted with NS 2. I had my hopes up and feel like this is a huge disappointment & a massive let down. Good luck unknown worlds, I think you are going to need it for the hope of this even being half as good as NS1.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1814289:date=Dec 8 2010, 02:22 AM:name=Sirpok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirpok @ Dec 8 2010, 02:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game will never take off like NS1. I think you lost the feel now not being on source engine. Finally after months I have been ab le to connect to a server. This game is no where near ready and I am not feeling anything about it other than the fade blink looks awesome. At this point I wish I could get a refund but ohhh well. I normally would post something longer and with more detail but my energy and time is depleted with NS 2. I had my hopes up and feel like this is a huge disappointment & a massive let down. Good luck unknown worlds, I think you are going to need it for the hope of this even being half as good as NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

beta test etc.
    it's pretty sad that you're giving up after one try, instead of helping to make the game get better. i bet you liked ns combat too.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814296:date=Dec 8 2010, 06:57 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Dec 8 2010, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i bet you liked ns combat too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No need for that, just let him vent and then slink away quietly.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814289:date=Dec 8 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Sirpok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirpok @ Dec 8 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game is no where near ready<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is why it is still in beta testing :)
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814302:date=Dec 8 2010, 09:09 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Dec 8 2010, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is why it is still in beta testing :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A lot of people dont understand that though lol.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1814296:date=Dec 8 2010, 02:57 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Dec 8 2010, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i bet you liked ns combat too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol'd
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814289:date=Dec 8 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Sirpok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirpok @ Dec 8 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game will never take off like NS1. I think you lost the feel now not being on source engine. Finally after months I have been ab le to connect to a server. This game is no where near ready and I am not feeling anything about it other than the fade blink looks awesome. At this point I wish I could get a refund but ohhh well. I normally would post something longer and with more detail but my energy and time is depleted with NS 2. I had my hopes up and feel like this is a huge disappointment & a massive let down. Good luck unknown worlds, I think you are going to need it for the hope of this even being half as good as NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And making final statements about an unfinished game is really pro.

Thats like saying a loaf of bread tastes awful when you're actually chewing the dough.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    <!--quoteo(post=1814289:date=Dec 8 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Sirpok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirpok @ Dec 8 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game is no where near ready<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You nailed it.
    And then you screwed it up.
  • chopperchopper Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67537Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814791:date=Dec 10 2010, 09:50 AM:name=Bobby is going home)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobby is going home @ Dec 10 2010, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You nailed it.
    And then you screwed it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the idea he was trying to get to was that after being sold in summer 2009 (I pre-ordered in June 2009) with an announced release of Fall 2009 this game is still so so far away from "finished" now that we're entering 2011.
    Just saying, most of you don't see past your narrow point of view.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814811:date=Dec 10 2010, 02:00 PM:name=chopper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chopper @ Dec 10 2010, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the idea he was trying to get to was that after being sold in summer 2009 (I pre-ordered in June 2009) with an announced release of Fall 2009 this game is still so so far away from "finished" now that we're entering 2011.
    Just saying, most of you don't see past your narrow point of view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    have anyone noticed this about Sirpok?

Did you all noticed there are 1 guy creating multiple accounts during the last year and saying the same things? (some accounts are banned)
    And no, he don't mean anything, is just a troll doing the only thing he knows.

NS2 is not the first game delayed more than a year. Take into consideration the size of UWE as company, then go and see how big are the companies that delayed a game for that long. Now you can see that NS2 is not so delayed.
  • spawnyspawny Join Date: 2004-02-12 Member: 26448Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1814811:date=Dec 10 2010, 12:00 PM:name=chopper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chopper @ Dec 10 2010, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the idea he was trying to get to was that after being sold in summer 2009 (I pre-ordered in June 2009) with an announced release of Fall 2009 this game is still so so far away from "finished" now that we're entering 2011.
    Just saying, most of you don't see past your narrow point of view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whilst I totally agree with that statement there are other factors around this that ultimately will lead to our benefit.

I wouldn't class this as having a narrow minded view, I think people are frustrated at some peoples expectations of an alpha release. Yes it's going to run like a dog, crash, hang not look right etc that's the whole point of testing something. It's when the wild statements such as 'This games going no where, It wont run on this that and the other and have now given up all hope for NS2' peoples backs are got up because it's an alpha release. UW are only allowing us to play this to speed the process up and give them a better understanding of what 'us' the player want from the next release.

NS is a very unique game, it's trying to retain that uniqueness and this will take time to perfect. Bare with it and we will all be rewarded with a game we can be proud of.

Here's to 2011!