Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 158 released

Comments

• ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited December 2010
    The guys above me are beating the dead horse. ;)

I've not had a chance to properly test the game yet but the patch sounds nice. I've had a big issue with the Flash-based *anything* though. They're causing extreme lag for me. :(
  • spamilatorspamilator Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71283Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813302:date=Dec 4 2010, 02:43 PM:name=alphz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alphz @ Dec 4 2010, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this actually what you're going to say someone looks stupid over?

Beta refers to testing, the product is not finished.

We are testing an unfinished product. If you expect it to be up to some imaginary bar that you have decided to set based on your own personal interpretation of a reasonably subjective term; then Im sorry, come back later when the game meets your standards. If you don't have constructive feedback then noone cares. Come back later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should read more carefully before posting. My point was about the definition of beta and all the misunderstanding and talk about it.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens are generally a pain in the arse in bases because they still have no useful defence. Sentries are still god awful. Yet you can run into the red light alien district and get killed in one second by a couple of crags... crazy.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Hum I just played a game and when one of the marines had the flamethrower well game went really hard for us kahraas, because, well I don' t know what "on-fire flamethrower effects" it's suppose to do but any of the transformations I went every single time that I get burned I was blind until I died. And it seems like the flamethrower is really powerful I mean with only one, a marine was able to burn down a room full of oc before I could spawn back and defend
  • doomed.marinedoomed.marine Join Date: 2007-09-07 Member: 62196Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have just two issues:
    #1 servers still seem unable to handle a regular game of 10 players with normal building spread
    #2 first person flame effect still blocks too much of your view
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813260:date=Dec 4 2010, 08:30 AM:name=Snougar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snougar @ Dec 4 2010, 08:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're right. Email the team for your refund and come back when its all polished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately refunds are no longer available I believe after you add the game to steam
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111781" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111781</a> - This is a thread much similar to how my game plays, tell me that's playable. Don't say that's it's only me that gets that, as the thread itself proves that I'm not the only one.

Also, I'm not surprised to see the ###### storm that has been brought down upon me, I imagine you all payed $40 for your game too but unlike me you're trying your hardest to pick out its best points and defend it to the bone to make it seem like that wasn't wasted money. I get that. So I understand why you're all so aggressive towards my opinions, but remember, it's an opinion that's unlikely going to be changed until the game is actually playable. As for the idiots talking about what is an alpha, and what is a beta, a beta is playable - please have a look at any definition to confirm otherwise. This game is not playable. None of this UWE is a small development company rubbish, that has nothing to do with the fact that what they've released is not a beta, this is what I'd expect an engine test to look like. This is my opinion.
  • googleeyesgoogleeyes Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75018Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1813322:date=Dec 4 2010, 10:14 AM:name=jamieshepherd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamieshepherd @ Dec 4 2010, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111781" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111781</a> - This is a thread much similar to how my game plays, tell me that's playable. Don't say that's it's only me that gets that, as the thread itself proves that I'm not the only one.

Also, I'm not surprised to see the ###### storm that has been brought down upon me, I imagine you all payed $40 for your game too but unlike me you're trying your hardest to pick out its best points and defend it to the bone to make it seem like that wasn't wasted money. I get that. So I understand why you're all so aggressive towards my opinions, but remember, it's an opinion that's unlikely going to be changed until the game is actually playable. As for the idiots talking about what is an alpha, and what is a beta, a beta is playable - please have a look at any definition to confirm otherwise. This game is not playable. None of this UWE is a small development company rubbish, that has nothing to do with the fact that what they've released is not a beta, this is what I'd expect an engine test to look like. This is my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I paid $40 dollars for a game yes, but guess what champ... the game isn't done yet. What's that you hear? This isn't the full release? Hmmm wow that's a shocker coming out of my mouth too. Wait it's not completely polished yet? Oh dear what shall I do? I want my money back! rawr angry face! It's not fair grrrr.

Christ... f you are so so so unhappy with the beta... contact the dev team, explain your situation and see if they will give you your money back.

You say the game is unplayable.. I beg to differ. I have played in countless games with no lag, maybe you are just joining the wrong servers. Idk what to tell you man... it's not working well for some and it's working okay for others...

Why don't you wait till the next patch where they say they are going to work on hydra/sentry gun and performance optimizations before you jump to conclusions about how the finished product is going to be.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813322:date=Dec 4 2010, 07:14 AM:name=jamieshepherd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamieshepherd @ Dec 4 2010, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111781" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111781</a> - This is a thread much similar to how my game plays, tell me that's playable. Don't say that's it's only me that gets that, as the thread itself proves that I'm not the only one.

Also, I'm not surprised to see the ###### storm that has been brought down upon me, I imagine you all payed $40 for your game too but unlike me you're trying your hardest to pick out its best points and defend it to the bone to make it seem like that wasn't wasted money. I get that. So I understand why you're all so aggressive towards my opinions, but remember, it's an opinion that's unlikely going to be changed until the game is actually playable. As for the idiots talking about what is an alpha, and what is a beta, a beta is playable - please have a look at any definition to confirm otherwise. This game is not playable. None of this UWE is a small development company rubbish, that has nothing to do with the fact that what they've released is not a beta, this is what I'd expect an engine test to look like. This is my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol nub

LOL
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813322:date=Dec 4 2010, 03:14 PM:name=jamieshepherd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamieshepherd @ Dec 4 2010, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111781" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111781</a> - This is a thread much similar to how my game plays, tell me that's playable. Don't say that's it's only me that gets that, as the thread itself proves that I'm not the only one.

I would tend to agree, the quality is far lower than what usually gets advertised as a beta, if you go into it thinking it's going to be like the starcraft beta or the dawn of war 2 beta or any other beta test you'll probably be very disappointed, it is quite probably entirely unplayable on many computers, mine runs the actual game qute well but still the poor server performance and non-existant balance means that you can't really do anything resembling 'playing' the game, although you can mess around with the stuff in it.

The game certainly is not even close to the quality level most end-users with previous 'beta' experience from other companies would expect. While this has been sort of stated in some of the news releases it is not widely advertised, so I wouldn't be surprised if people buy it and then wonder what the hell they bought.

If you want some unsolicited advice I'd say just wait, progress has been made in each patch and it will probably continue to be made, I'm sure eventually it will be playable. Until then you might not want to read the forums too much, forums for games are always terrible, popular game forums are full of people who make one or two posts without reading anything, and forums for more niche games are full of perpetually angry fanboys who apparently hate everything. In either case it's better for your mental health to take at least a day's break every two days of browsing.

Post any benefits or problems you have with a patch, try not to let your eyes focus on the thread too much while doing so, and report any particular bugs you have (like a repeated crash under a specific instance or whatever) to getsatisfaction, and wait. Not really much else you can do.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    2 issues but need to play on more servers and maybe update drivers.

x Grenades play neither sound nor explosion animation
    x Armorys get bugged now and then and you step thru em and cannot buy from them. You need to build extra armorys when this happens..
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Well....

I dunno, I am a firm believer that it's the clients connected that drag servers down not the hydras/turrets. I come to this conclusion after a little...well....lengthy test we ran with only 2 of us in the server. The big lager was the red circles in comm view.

We just completed a game with over 100 turrets/hydras while doing a server stress test and it flew through surprisingly well for a beta.

The test went 5 hours for a single game that ended with a spawn bug but noon the less we put it through it's paces as far as hydras are concerned, a few connection errors and rubber bands when the red circles flew across the screen showing the 10 places that turrets and hydras where battling it out.

Video of the final moments before the spawn bug.....gorge barricade anyone?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KciZPH_lgWg" target="_blank">You Tube Video of hydra Spam-a-thon aftermath</a> A little choppy, as i was running,steam,fraps,remote desktop,bitmeter, and TS3 but all in all it went well, the server is still up and running hours after we finished.
    <!--quoteo(post=1813327:date=Dec 4 2010, 03:26 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 4 2010, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would tend to agree, the quality is far lower than what usually gets advertised as a beta, if you go into it thinking it's going to be like the starcraft beta or the dawn of war 2 beta or any other beta test you'll probably be very disappointed, it is quite probably entirely unplayable on many computers, mine runs the actual game qute well but still the poor server performance and non-existant balance means that you can't really do anything resembling 'playing' the game, although you can mess around with the stuff in it.

The game certainly is not even close to the quality level most end-users with previous 'beta' experience from other companies would expect. While this has been sort of stated in some of the news releases it is not widely advertised, so I wouldn't be surprised if people buy it and then wonder what the hell they bought.

If you want some unsolicited advice I'd say just wait, progress has been made in each patch and it will probably continue to be made, I'm sure eventually it will be playable. Until then you might not want to read the forums too much, forums for games are always terrible, popular game forums are full of people who make one or two posts without reading anything, and forums for more niche games are full of perpetually angry fanboys who apparently hate everything. In either case it's better for your mental health to take at least a day's break every two days of browsing.

Post any benefits or problems you have with a patch, try not to let your eyes focus on the thread too much while doing so, and report any particular bugs you have (like a repeated crash under a specific instance or whatever) to getsatisfaction, and wait. Not really much else you can do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has helped somewhat, thanks.
    It's depressing being the only person who thinks your idea is right so I figured I'd speak up.
  • CzTCzT Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75447Members
    Hey there, I've preordered game long time ago, because of the special edition...

But I can't play the game. No, I can play NS2, but with 10-15 fps in game... I really love NS1, and want to play NS2, but it's too heavy to handle for my computer :(

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3000+
    2 GB 1066 MHz RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 220

And with these specs I have 10-15 fps...
    Is anything I can do to handle NS2 more smoothly?
    What computer do you have to handle this game? :(
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I never tested build 157, but 158 is deffinitelly worse than 156. I played 11 player games /(rockdown) in 156 without lag, while when i joined a server so we were 2 players (tram) in 158, I lagged bigtime. Sure, in 156 tram was laggy aswell, but i did play on a 6 player (tram) server on 156 and not get anywhere near the same amount of lag.

Also, once my screen just went black for half a second while i was fade (which cant hit in this lag), which confused me alot.

It seems like all the aliens are weaker now, takes a long time for me to kill a mac, especially if it moves and im a skulk (need 4 bites i think, and it move almost as fast as me, and i lagged so much i couldnt hit when it looked like i could).

The flamethrowers on fire effect seem to be much better now, except i still cant see ###### while they fire at me, or at times when the old overlay seems to suddenly come back for some seconds.
    It also still fire trough walls.
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1813338:date=Dec 4 2010, 04:08 PM:name=CzT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CzT @ Dec 4 2010, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey there, I've preordered game long time ago, because of the special edition...

But I can't play the game. No, I can play NS2, but with 10-15 fps in game... I really love NS1, and want to play NS2, but it's too heavy to handle for my computer :(

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3000+
    2 GB 1066 MHz RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 220

And with these specs I have 10-15 fps...
    Is anything I can do to handle NS2 more smoothly?
    What computer do you have to handle this game? :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's probably your specific hardware not being entirely compatible yet, although that processor might be off the ark. I'm not very up on processors but my last processor from about 5-6 years ago was an athlon X2 4200+, I don't know if yours is a newer series or something but that could be your stumbling block. The graphics card also isn't great, modern series but low number, with nvidia a 280 or a 480 or a 9800 would be the middle grade card for that series, a 20 is probably some strange niche card or something, possibly a laptop card, not sure. Newer series don't neccesarily mean better performance, it's the second number you usually want to pay attention to.

Give it time, if it doesn't run on your current setup you can't really do much to improve it other than wait.

<!--quoteo(post=1813339:date=Dec 4 2010, 04:08 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Dec 4 2010, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never tested build 157, but 158 is deffinitelly worse than 156. I played 11 player games /(rockdown) in 156 without lag, while when i joined a server so we were 2 players (tram) in 158, I lagged bigtime. Sure, in 156 tram was laggy aswell, but i did play on a 6 player (tram) server on 156 and not get anywhere near the same amount of lag.

Also, once my screen just went black for half a second while i was fade (which cant hit in this lag), which confused me alot.

It seems like all the aliens are weaker now, takes a long time for me to kill a mac, especially if it moves and im a skulk (need 4 bites i think, and it move almost as fast as me, and i lagged so much i couldnt hit when it looked like i could).

The flamethrowers on fire effect seem to be much better now, except i still cant see ###### while they fire at me, or at times when the old overlay seems to suddenly come back for some seconds.
    It also still fire trough walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They buffed mac health, but they build slower now.
  • slowhandslowhand Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70866Members
    edited December 2010
    As a marine:
    <ul><li>Can't change weapons while reloading - a major disadvantage for marines (been killed too many times while reloading...)</li><li>Can't shoot aliens behind a buildings - a prime example - skulk behind an IP, it looks like bullets won't go thru visible space of IP (hitbox is wrong?).</li></ul>
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1813322:date=Dec 4 2010, 05:14 PM:name=jamieshepherd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamieshepherd @ Dec 4 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111781" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111781</a> - This is a thread much similar to how my game plays, tell me that's playable. Don't say that's it's only me that gets that, as the thread itself proves that I'm not the only one.

You just know nothing about game dev and programming
    Most of the games that you could have tested are based of already existing game engine and most of the BIG company use the same engine for most of their games: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines#Game_engines_and_games_using_them" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_...ames_using_them</a>
    Half-life 1 was Quake engine based, Aion is farcry engine based, lineage 2 is unreal engine etc... : <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games</a>
    Take a look at this <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The process of game development is frequently economized by in large part reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here it's a team a 4-5 guys creating everything from scratch, as a student programmer I know that is a huge work for such a small team, so yes game doesn't seems perfect for a beta compared to others game betas but that because like I said above most of the "other" games didn't have the test their engine because they had already a long time stable released engine so they just have to test whatever they added to it.

So look for the engines of the games that you have beta tested and you will see that most of them didn't started their games from scratch as it's made with NS2
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1813339:date=Dec 4 2010, 04:08 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Dec 4 2010, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never tested build 157, but 158 is deffinitelly worse than 156. I played 11 player games /(rockdown) in 156 without lag, while when i joined a server so we were 2 players (tram) in 158, I lagged bigtime. Sure, in 156 tram was laggy aswell, but i did play on a 6 player (tram) server on 156 and not get anywhere near the same amount of lag.

It also still fire trough walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    THe main problem is the fact we do not know the server specs. It could've been a lower specced server as I find it weird that you're experiencing lag issue like this. I can actually play the game now with 12+ players, something I couldn't on 155-156-157
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    My screen still went black once, this time it didn't fix itself and I had to bring up the console and type 'kill' to see things again.
  • levelelevele Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61978Members
    Just played tram. There is a huge gaping gap you can fall through in the map when you leave the marine base and go right.

Also, after getting killed, the game froze and crashed.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Server performance seems much improved, however a dozen or so hydras renders gameplay impossible.

--Scythe--
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Lag is worse than ever for me now. Unplayable.
  • yenningComityyenningComity Join Date: 2007-04-01 Member: 60541Members
    Game is unplayable. Not whining, but that is the truth. The patch is a leap forward though. The game is now playable until sentry/hydra spam happens after the first few minutes. From that point on you can't aim and its just a matter of time until either the FT/GL's kill the hive or the aliens hit the ip.

What I would like to see is the dev team cap hydra's/sentries or just remove them from the game from the time being.

Bugs
    Noticing that alot of grenades register hits on structures, but never show the explosion animation or sound when I shoot them. Closing out on the armory usually causes the gun to fire off a round.
    Sound looping.
    Sound changing in volume. Example my lmg will go from quiet to loud randomly.

What I see that is fixed.
    Connection Issues are gone.
    Network improvement. I can entry 12 player games that play fine until hydra/turrets spam.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Tester... Another excuse to play. :)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Played another server on rockdown 6v6 and performance was better than ever before. Still laggy as hell towards the end game.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    just played on a single server 5v5-6v6 for about 45 minutes. tickrate stayed around 12-15 which was enough to make it playable, even with turrets and rebuilding destroyed bases. great game until the marines had a constant supply of FlameThrowers. just wasn't fun anymore.
  • levelelevele Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61978Members
    Just played a 5v5. Great game, push and pull, i thought we (marines) had it when we got GL, but some sneaky fades destroyed comm chair and we lost game. This is coming out to be great!
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813199:date=Dec 4 2010, 06:03 AM:name=riuthamus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riuthamus @ Dec 4 2010, 06:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any hope of address the lag with turrets and hydra? can we just remove the ability to place them? servers are fine without them and then some ###### places down 2 and the entire servers take a ######. Would be nice to remove it until the netcode for it is more solid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is really true, it is VERY annoying when 1 person ruins the whole game for everyone else just because he refuses' to lilsten to everyone. This also kills servers, no one wants to play when its all laggy, so hydras= no game testers, I stopped playing 155 and 156 because of this.

ona side note: THANK YOU UWE, a hotfix wow, very cool didnt know you guys had it in you, the ahrd work you guys put in is REALLY showing.