Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 157 released

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812759:date=Dec 2 2010, 09:08 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 2 2010, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finished downloading the patch, started it, crash...
    Closed Steam, re-open Steam, new download, now is 66.6 MB. Don't start.
    Closed Steam, re-open Steam, new download, now is 29.7 MB. Don't start.
    Verifying integrity... Looking some videos on youtube while I wait.
    1 file failed and will be reacquired. 17.2 MB.
    Just in case I do a new verify, more videos to watch...
    1 file failed again... lol to steam... 386 KB (yes, KB)
    Now that I know there could be more problems, I verify again...
    New download, close Steam, re-open... Verify, 1 file again. Delete content and download it again.

Yeah, Steam broken my game. Let see if I can play it tomorrow.

By the way, is not the first time this happens to me with steam and with other games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah. Steam sometimes has a bad habit of completely corking the patching process. They claim it's a known and working on issue.

I like how I've re-downloaded TF2 about 5 times due to this.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--QuoteBegin-"progress"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("progress")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Can't join a server after leaving one
    Fix "connection problems" when first connecting
    Fix timeout due to long pauses during connection<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

These were my biggest issues - I hope they have been obliterated!

I hope I now get my 40 <i>bugs </i>worth.

Plus:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade blink ghost model no longer warps and no longer orients to face targets unless very close to them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew it! You all thought I was mad!
    <!--QuoteBegin-"Bernard"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Bernard")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do... to create a new strain of super-wine in a half an hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. "Bernard Black, he's mad," they'd say. "He's insane. He's dangerous." Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812805:date=Dec 3 2010, 07:19 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 3 2010, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It just wasn't NS anymore, so they say :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know it wasn't, it was <i>better</i>.

If I wanted NS I would still be playing NS, but I got bored of NS largely because of stupid stuff like having to spend half my time building things and having to use whatever weapons the commander felt like distributing.

I want a better game, not the same old game I played ages ago.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    The 100 personal res cap needs to return. And a slower personal res intake.

Right now, two minutes into the game and you never need to worry about having enough res again.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1812652:date=Dec 2 2010, 10:07 PM:name=Mr. Epic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Epic @ Dec 2 2010, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It will be interesting to see how NS2 feels with the marines being the primary builders again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

feels good, like a first into third.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Another fast update - good job!

One typo in the homepage update news item btw
    "The next patch will be focused on more optimizations as well as making it much easier for the Commander and marines <b>to find together</b>,"
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812809:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:28 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 3 2010, 10:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want a better game, not the same old game I played ages ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would start with leaving these forums and finding other game instead of waiting for one.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    Initial thoughts:

servers seem to chug a bit more than usual. obviously there are new graphics glitches that have been already mentioned. Shotgun feels great now, very powerful. GL is hard as hell to use now. Flamethrower feels just about right, the view obscuration still happens but it seems to have a shorter duration. MAC change feels very drastic - it's almost impossible to build a forward base with macs alone now, which should be a change for the better. However, I feel like they should retain their old build speed around powered CC's - marine opening game feels very slow with only 1 mac at the start, and you barely get an IP up in time for a skulk rush if you hop out of the CC and assist-build. (btw IP bug is still present - after marines lose, subsequent games they don't start with an IP). Marine building feels a little slow. Could use a bigger/taller detection radius too, you really have to crouch or get right up to an IP to build it. Visual and auditory indications of building would be nice.

funny bug, if you build sentries with more than 1 mac, multiple buildings spawn in the same location. you can stack a bunch of sentries together using this bug (looks hilarious, and makes it so you can cover multiple angles from one point). Sounds playing twice bug is not entirely squashed, on some laggy servers it still pops up.

Kharaa - bite was slowed down a bit which is an interesting change. Very hard for marines to win now. Whips still feel too powerful for tier 1. Haven't played too much with the higher life forms yet, so not too much to comment on about them.

*edit* resources still come in way too fast, but starting res is very low - barely enough to set up an initial base (i.e. armory, 1 or 2 ip's, and either 1 upgrade or a 2nd extractor/harvester). Limit resource node upgrades by tier? I.e. tier 1 CC/hive = 1/3 node upgrades available, tier 2 = 2/3, tier 3 = 3/3 etc. Personal res is still out of control.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812806:date=Dec 3 2010, 04:22 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Dec 3 2010, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah. Steam sometimes has a bad habit of completely corking the patching process. They claim it's a known and working on issue.

I like how I've re-downloaded TF2 about 5 times due to this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did what I have left to do, reboot computer.
    After that Steam downloaded again the Engine.dll and now all works perfect. Looks like Steam was corrupting the file when downloading it due to who knows.
    Just played on 2 servers and looks great.
    Right now Marines can recover from losing 1 CC, a real push back and forward, and games could last forever this way but is because of the few players on each side (6). With more players will be more easy for any team to win once you manage to dominate a large part of the map.

The new GL behaviour is really great, I managed to kill myself. The FT with less power is great too, specially when you play as alien.

There are still problems with lag related to hydras and sentries.
    Anyway, a lot better.

Oh! and I did the nice Lerk silent fly... Now I need a bind to fast change weapons (last selected) and we are ready to rock.
  • SatireSatire Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75016Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812701:date=Dec 3 2010, 04:23 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Dec 3 2010, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->are the MAC's getting anything to compensate for marines taking their building job now? an auxiliary offensive upgrade perhaps?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go have a look at some of the upgrades in the Com Station ; ) They've been there since the last patch ~
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if I missed any single specific element in building as a marine, but what I really missed is how every situation is extremely dynamic and can be tweaked and replayed with so many ways. Building stuff adds sort of a branch to that decision flow. Who build and when and how do they build makes a world of difference.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812668:date=Dec 3 2010, 03:25 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Dec 3 2010, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome, but if Marines start with no MACs, do Commanders still need MACs to place "ghost" buildings?

Still wondering what ARC stands for...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome Rocket Cannon.

Anyhow, seems like a really sweet patch! Now i just have to wade past this Blizzard that has struck Sweden so i can get home and try it out!
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I like this as a marine I went comm, dropped a turret in base, hopped out, and built it myself without having to have a mac do it since skulks were attacking the base and I knew a mac would just get killed anyway in this situation so a real player building was a much better situation. A MAC makes a good base tender and is also useful to assist in node capping. I don't feel it has become insignificant at all. It just now has an appropriate role as the assistant and not vice versa.
  • SimpsoidSimpsoid Join Date: 2010-12-03 Member: 75417Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812825:date=Dec 3 2010, 07:19 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Dec 3 2010, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if I miss any single element in building as a marine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To you and many others that have comments on this change I say this; I always loved how whilst building as a marine you were always on edge of insanity... wary of any and every noise nearby. With your back facing out to the world it always felt that at any moment a skulk or something much worse could sneak up and surprise you. And since you were sitting there like a fresh bag of meat you had to react quickly.
    In the dark of night playing years ago this was my number one fear. I had many, many times listening on loud headphones where the munch of a silent skulk awakened and startled me and made me jump out of my chair as I was building something.
    I am thankful for to have building in again. This really means that the marines have to stay in the light and cover each other if not for the suspense of the whole ordeal.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited December 2010
    Aliens dominated every server I joined. The marines are so slow to get started, and with the starting res the aliens can drop down hives right at the start to lock marines in. The hives quickly finish and heal kharaa near it to defend. The marines really can't do much since skulks take down marines so quickly. Even if the aliens somehow let the marines take a point, they can quickly swarm an area and take it down (through IPs or power node) while the marines have to slowly hack away at the hive and hope a skulk doesn't spawn next to them. It gets a little more even with flamethrowers (which destroy skulks and lerks, if they stay in range), but the flamethrowers themselves don't actually hurt a hive, so it still takes forever to take them down.

Granted, these are with 4v4 - 6v6 teams, all on rockdown (whose map design heavily favors kharaa for control point placement, in my opinion)

Edit: Okay, I played on tram, and we were actually winning as marine when the server crashed. I guess it's more of a rockdown issue.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812831:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:45 AM:name=Simpsoid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simpsoid @ Dec 3 2010, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To you and many others that have comments on this change I say this; I always loved how whilst building as a marine you were always on edge of insanity... wary of any and every noise nearby. With your back facing out to the world it always felt that at any moment a skulk or something much worse could sneak up and surprise you. And since you were sitting there like a fresh bag of meat you had to react quickly.
    In the dark of night playing years ago this was my number one fear. I had many, many times listening on loud headphones where the munch of a silent skulk awakened and startled me and made me jump out of my chair as I was building something.
    I am thankful for to have building in again. This really means that the marines have to stay in the light and cover each other if not for the suspense of the whole ordeal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please don't take the first sentence out of context. If anything, I'm happy that the building ability is back.

I think the first sentence can be a bit misleading. What I really meant is that I don't particularly need the very specific element of building in the game, but I happily welcome the effect it has on variation and options in marine play.

Edit: Clarified my first post sligthly.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    Pretty solid patch, but the vision blocking Flamethrower remains a big issue. Whilst the vision remained fine when you're on fire, as soon as you're in the line of, well, fire from a flamethrower you can't see anything. This makes attempting to take out a Marine using one virtually impossible.

Also bring on the Onos! Just played a 6v6 where the Alien team had the entire map, but we just couldn't penetrate marine spawn due to flamethrowers and shotguns.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a HUGE improvement in network play over build 155 and 156. It's really night and day, before it was always choppy and soemtimes laggy, now its great fully playable 50% of the time. If they can make another jump like this in build 158 I dont know If I would be able to stop playing it!.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-"thecowsaysmoo"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("thecowsaysmoo")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing a HUGE improvement in network play over build 155 and 156. It's really night and day, before it was always choppy and soemtimes laggy, now its great fully playable 50% of the time. If they can make another jump like this in build 158 I dont know If I would be able to stop playing it!.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you please elaborate?

Has the FPS increased? Do you mean that the graphics are choppy or just the Internet latency / lag?
    Can you also connect to a server every time? Have you or anyone had a connection time out? Or, Server Reset?

And what do you mean by "50%" of the time? What issues crop up (in the other 50%)?
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    Amazing stuff UWE, keep it up.
  • BitPonBitPon Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75104Members
    Whoa... I went from 12-15 fps to 30 in this patch... It still drops pretty heavily while traversing the map though. Haven't had the chance to try a real game yet though, good work UWE!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited December 2010
    Played 1 round on tram (12 players).

It's hard to judge balance because the aliens were being useless and just messing about, the marines refused to join our team so the numbers were unbalanced. Still, the <b>marines won by all having flamethrowers</b> and then their comm spammed med packs as they ran around the hive areas. When the hive died and my skulk was thrown out into the map the game crashed.

Aliens compained that they were <b>still being blinded by flamethrowers</b>, and that <b>flamethrowers were shooting through walls</b>. I saw one door in the map was set on fire and kept burning for the whole game, and it may have been setting fire to a nearby whip. What are we supposed to do as aliens against all the flamethrowers?

Then I played as marine for a while in another server. Similar problems. The comm asked us to go to defend spawn. Out of 6 marines only 2 of us went there and were killed by 2 fades and a lerk. <b>Make it much easier for the commanders to give way points, and make it much more obvious to players what the commander wants them to do. </b>

One bug I found playing marine; suddenly the map would vanish and I would see the background only. Walking around for a few seconds brought it back to normal. That happened a few times in about 10 minutes.

As an alien comm I've found <b>more problems in this patch with getting drifters to build.</b> 80% of the time the drifters would sit on res nodes, or the spot where I told them to build crag/whip. It means building structures takes 10 times longer than it should.

Another problem is organising the alien players. I have no way to show them where to go. They don't have any visual clues about what should be defended. There is nothing to encourage them to defend the structures I was trying to build, it was really frustrating. We had 4 players, and I was the comm, so when 1 or 2 of the aliens sit around shooting an unimportant marine structure for 5 minutes we have basically no players. When I click on players who are not helping, the game doesnt tell me the player's name.

PLEASE give the alien comm more abilities to coordinate the team. Right now I had to rely on people reading and following my requests in chat. This doesn't work well when you've got people who just want to fly around and do what they want.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I joined a couple servers and people were complaining about aliens dominating. Honestly I think it is just the little bits of lag that make it hard to shoot the skulks and that is why they are so overwhelming early game (mainly just rockdown). Otherwise I think the new balance is quite nice and the game feels much more like teamwork is encouraged.
  • bassportbassport Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25656Members, Constellation
    What about gorges acting as fire extinguishers?

I love that you put marine building back in, thank you!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1812830:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:43 AM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Dec 3 2010, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this as a marine I went comm, dropped a turret in base, hopped out, and built it myself without having to have a mac do it since skulks were attacking the base and I knew a mac would just get killed anyway in this situation so a real player building was a much better situation. A MAC makes a good base tender and is also useful to assist in node capping. I don't feel it has become insignificant at all. It just now has an appropriate role as the assistant and not vice versa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhm... and how exactly is this better than having the MAC build it while you're killing the skulks?
  • elmo33elmo33 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68377Members
    Changelog seems great, especially whit player building back in, and no more replicate buildings. Good work.
  • WalhallaWalhalla Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43506Members
    I try to play a round, but it was sooooo fu... laggy without Hydras.
    thats all what i can say after the first try
    grenades don't seem to always detonate...?
  • danshyudanshyu Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2105Members
    Right now the biggest problem with game balance is still the fact that when fades started appearing and the marine still doesn't have tier 2 weapons. The game turns into a slow and boring decline for the marines. And as soon as marines get to tier 2 equipments they instantly out class every alien units out there.

Any alien team who isn't retarded would know that they just have to lock down the hive loactions early with hydras and whipes and they're pretty much set.

Basiclaly the outcome of a match is generally decided within the first 15 minutes of playing. The moment one of the team reaches tier 2, the victor is already decided. As soon as the marines get 2nd command console, it's marine victory. And as soon as alien got fade befoe marines have 2nd console, it's alien victory. There's pretty much no point to play the match any further than that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1812898:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:17 AM:name=danshyu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danshyu @ Dec 3 2010, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right now the biggest problem with game balance is still the fact that when fades started appearing and the marine still doesn't have tier 2 weapons. The game turns into a slow and boring decline for the marines. And as soon as marines get to tier 2 equipments they instantly out class every alien units out there.

Any alien team who isn't retarded would know that they just have to lock down the hive loactions early with hydras and whipes and they're pretty much set.

Basiclaly the outcome of a match is generally decided within the first 15 minutes of playing. The moment one of the team reaches tier 2, the victor is already decided. As soon as the marines get 2nd command console, it's marine victory. And as soon as alien got fade befoe marines have 2nd console, it's alien victory. There's pretty much no point to play the match any further than that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's not true. quite a few times aliens have won decisively even after GL/flamethrower upgrades.