Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 156 released

Comments

• FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809222:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:44 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Nov 23 2010, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its really nice to see that the biggest problem now are balance issues :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are they really, though?
    NS2 still performs pretty poorly in comparison to other games, even recently released ones. If you can't attain stable 75++ FPS with an i5/7 and a HD5* GPU then it's not running very smoothly as far as I'm concerned (and what about people with 125 Hz or higher monitors?).
    I really hope they can streamline the game more after balancing some of the broken weapons because in-combat FPS drops below 60 on an above-average rig aren't really cool.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    well, before people had as the biggest issue that they could not join the game, now it seems like GL/Flamethrower is the biggest.

And its a beta, so the real engine optimizations will come later. I mean, i'm able to play (on rockdown) with my geforce 140M, which is a REALLY bad GPU.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    And others with highend equipment cant crack 20fps. So its completetly understandable that they want their share of gameplay too, just at least to be able to participate in balance discussions.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809226:date=Nov 23 2010, 10:50 AM:name=Bobby is going home)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobby is going home @ Nov 23 2010, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its just as annoying as early Hydra+Crag spam ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I haven't been on the receiving end of this yet, but on rockdown it wasn't all that difficult to lock marines down to one control point.

Also, with the lag gone in smaller servers (and when people don't drop sentries/hydra) the skulk bite is remarkably easy to hit people with. I really like the hit detection compared to the original NS.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1809316:date=Nov 23 2010, 11:17 AM:name=Stele007)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stele007 @ Nov 23 2010, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I haven't been on the receiving end of this yet, but on rockdown it wasn't all that difficult to lock marines down to one control point.

Also, with the lag gone in smaller servers (and when people don't drop sentries/hydra) the skulk bite is remarkably easy to hit people with. I really like the hit detection compared to the original NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, skulking is fairly easy. Aiming the rifle as a marine is very difficult with the FPS/lag, and I can't land many shots at all.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    It's really starting to feel like a <b>game</b> now. Brilliant work.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gotta say, server stability is outstanding!

My servers just ran for 9 hours without a single crash! And no sign of a memory leak so far.. good job on fixing the issues!
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809329:date=Nov 23 2010, 07:56 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 23 2010, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809329"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's really starting to feel like a <b>game</b> now. Brilliant work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ScoobyScooby Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33125Members
    Steam is downloading the update now. Great job with the updates.
  • pitchblack00pitchblack00 Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75220Members
    Great job, i could connect and actually play yesterday. I still had few "connection problem detected" messages after which all players would disappear and i would run around on empty map :)
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809275:date=Nov 23 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Fellblade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fellblade @ Nov 23 2010, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just thought that it was interesting that the positions of the eggs was implied to be procedural, and wondered how it was being implemented, as it could prove to be a significant frame time hit once kicked off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's really no need for it to be procedural during the round though...they could easily get around this by generating X egg spawn points at the beginning of the map, and selecting one of those points from a list to distribute to the clients for each spawn

Not that I have any idea how they're doing it or if there are any plans/need to optimize this area...
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    The game is a lot more stable, but the server still crashes from high numbers of sentry/hydras/whips/crags. Perhaps a cap on the number of structures that can be built. This would force prioritizing of primary structures (IP/Armoury) for Marines, and with aliens (who need less structures anyway) they can't just send out a gorge to spam 20 hydras on the map. Which is easily done atm, and a pain in the ass too.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809478:date=Nov 24 2010, 05:53 AM:name=pitchblack00)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pitchblack00 @ Nov 24 2010, 05:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great job, i could connect and actually play yesterday. I still had few "connection problem detected" messages after which all players would disappear and i would run around on empty map :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. But also, I had a timeout error when connecting to a near empty server (3/8 players) with a ping of about 90.

Game loads a lot faster, which is great. But still a lot of jerkiness, and only 20 fps with 1024 x 728 with everything low.
    For an idea into what that's like: I can run TF2 at 1024 x 728 at medium-high at 40-60fps (will drop a little in huge fights -
    but still very playable)
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    HIVE IS UP, this is so awesome, I am praying that on saturday(when I get paid) There will still be a beta copy available for me.
  • BitPonBitPon Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75104Members
    edited November 2010
    Just had a couple of (ok, perhaps 3 then...) hours of pure joy playing this game! It's actually a lot of fun playing this terribly unbalanced beta. I guess in a few years players will get nostalgic about things like "the yellow screen of death" from this early build of the game :)
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I've been thoroughly enjoying the beta today as well. There've been hard times (when the marines all went flamethrower of doom), but all in all I loved to fade vs one or two marines with smg/shotgun and blink behind them, slash, blink away etc. Fade already feels really balanced!

There's still a lot of issues to resolve when it comes to performance and balance, but man, are you guys on-track - it's amazing!
  • superNoidsuperNoid Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75117Members
    156 fixed a ton of issues for me. Now I can connect and play, latency is spotty but its been good today. A few servers I've played on have crashed periodically though. But 156 is a step in the right direction for sure.
  • SkyrageSkyrage Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20249Members
    Now if only the inverse mouse issue would be fixed......

I for one would be very happy >p
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah in 3 years we'll no longer reminisce about the jp/hmg rush, it'll be the flamethrower/grenade launcher rush
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    Excellent work!! Servers are up and people are playing. I was able to play a full game yesterday which was pretty exciting.
  • pr0xymoronpr0xymoron Join Date: 2009-09-22 Member: 68844Members
    Timeout and Server Connection Problems seem to occur if you join a game while its changing maps I'm guessing.
    Had my first real game on an oz server and although theres still plenty to polish up, I'm sensing something special... :)
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Played my first full few games and had a blast. 6 v 6 ran pretty well, but it seemed like hydras(?) seemed to slow down the server
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I fired up the beta last night, and had a pretty good time!

Will HMGs, teleporters, siege canons and heavy armor make it's way into NS2? Hope so, I loved that stuff!

Flamer seemed a bit over-powered maybe.

Also, the level was really cramped/small. Hopefully this isn't reflective of the other levels in the game.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809853:date=Nov 24 2010, 01:20 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Nov 24 2010, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will HMGs, teleporters, siege canons and heavy armor make it's way into NS2? Hope so, I loved that stuff!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes to all :D

Phase gates might be coming back in a different way. Maybe they'll come back just like in NS1.
  • g_million_02g_million_02 Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63305Members
    everytime i try to get into a server i get a (connection error detected)
    i dont know what the problem is
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808983:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:11 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Nov 23 2010, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome patch.

I played as commander and we had a 6v6 game going.

We were down at the start but managed to move to another CC to recover, got a 2nd and 3rd and GL/FF combination and just overpowered the alien hydra spam and won.

First game I've been able to play from start/end; great stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was in this game (and many more) with Plasma! Ohhh boy was it mad fun. I was really worried build 155 was called 'beta' but with build 156, you deserve to call it beta. What a fantastic run of quick patches with the culimnation of 156 you've left us with a completly playable game.

I hope the next priorities are further optimization of netcode/serverlag/clientlag etc and tha ability for server hosts to host a server without having a steam account. There are already not enough servers and while the server binaries are linked to steam, this will become more and more of a problem.

I waited 7 hours, checking about every 20mins (using a spare PC) and spamming refresh on the one and only Australian server - Ausgamers servers. If there ins't a non-steam server don't expect enough servers for launch.

Great job UWE, you deserve your R&R. Fingers crossed for some further optimization and decoupling of server from steam before xmas break.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    Great patch, thanks.
  • newsunnewsun Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75257Members
    edited November 2010
    I am seeing "connection problem detected" while connecting to the server yet still get in.

I have seen this a few times where I am looking at the options while in game and get killed, then I no longer have my mouse and it just looks around, typing quit in the console works, but I don't know any other way to get unstuck from this.

I think the choice of servers should be double click to join instead of requiring the mouse click on the button below.

All the menus should be keyboard sensitive instead of requiring the mouse too.

I thought the same thing on the evolve menus as well.

A brightness setting I could not find to make it easier to see during the day, since it's so dark.

was only able to get about 20 FPS with my 7800m on my 2.5g core2duo 4gm ram machine, would really like to see this move higher and be able to run at my native 1920x1024 rez.

oh, I also had a spawn as an alien where it was in a room I could not get out of on rockdown
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1810136:date=Nov 25 2010, 02:12 AM:name=newsun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (newsun @ Nov 25 2010, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am seeing "connection problem detected" while connecting to the server yet still get in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The message pops up during load, Tram is a very detailed map so it leaves you on a blank screen for a bit and it does spurt those massages while everything is still loading. give it 2 mins. Rockdown loads a lot faster for obvious reasons.

If you have a continuous problem the read <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=111496&view=findpost&p=1807498" target="_blank">Post#2 of the sickeh</a>
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    Great Patch, no doubt, but PLEASE keep focusing on the Performance and FPS issues. Gameplay is imho secondary!