Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 156 released

Comments

• obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    OMG OMG OMG, best patch ever! NS2 just went from totaly unplayable to a really cool game NICE JOB!
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added very basic loading progress<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah finaly...a simple Loading.... but thats ok for a beta i guess ^^

And the other fixes i am sure its good playable now.

Edit:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Connection Problem detected...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But ok its working if i host my own server, so its might be fixed now :)

P.S. but its weird, what was the point in buying the pre-order?
    Supporting developer which i don't even know?
    Anyway, i like the game so who gives a fu**!
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    So sad that I'm in the UK and won't get to play this until this evening (it's 9am here).

Enjoy your holiday UWE, you deserve it!
    edited November 2010
    *Edit because of fanboys attack*
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    You are too paranoid.
  • SorelSorel Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809115:date=Nov 23 2010, 05:58 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Nov 23 2010, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come?
    Isn't it a surprise they release a "working" beta right now after they are out of money?
    The alpha wasn't playable, now they "fix" the beta and there not in service this week, so people can buy the beta because they think its playable-
    I feel a bit pranked, i like NaSe 1 but what they did with NaSe 2 to the community is in my mind not nice.
    Why not be serious and say like "ok guys the havok engine cost a lot, we was to slow to did the game right with the alpha (every patch take month...), so now we switch to the beta to get more money to work with the game, so here is the alpha "called beta" oh and sorry for the alpha, it was not realy a alpha it was a pre-alpha, cya we take a brake."

- a old ns fan -<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"The IQ and ignorance in this community amazes me sometimes." Your quote pretty directly relates to your post. Ironic, eh?
    <!--quoteo(post=1809120:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Sorel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sorel @ Nov 23 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"The IQ and ignorance in this community amazes me sometimes." Your quote pretty directly relates to your post. Ironic, eh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh good you have answer yourself, i don't need any more comment.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809115:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:58 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Nov 23 2010, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come?
    Isn't it a surprise they release a "working" beta right now after they are out of money?
    The alpha wasn't playable, now they "fix" the beta and there not in service this week, so people can buy the beta because they think its playable-
    I feel a bit pranked, i like NaSe 1 but what they did with NaSe 2 to the community is in my mind not nice.
    Why not be serious and say like "ok guys the havok engine cost a lot, we was to slow to did the game right with the alpha (every patch take month...), so now we switch to the beta to get more money to work with the game, so here is the alpha "called beta" oh and sorry for the alpha, it was not realy a alpha it was a pre-alpha, cya we take a brake."

- a old ns fan -<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So wait, you actually feel cheated that Alpha was short and bumpy and that Beta is ending up fairly playable? That is what you think isn't nice? I can't say I agree with you, because that is exactly the way the development process is intended to work. You seem to think they were intentionally withholding fixes, which makes absolutely no sense. They would gain nothing from that sort of tactic. (If that isn't you're argument, I apologize. I'll be honest, I can't really decipher most of your post.)

UWE is probably holding a small party of their own to celebrate reaching this milestone, while conspiracy theories like these are brewing on the forums. Kinda sad to see that lack of faith, but then again, it is kinda awesome. Having conspiracy theories is a milestone of its own sort.
  • FellbladeFellblade Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13699Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1809064:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:37 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Nov 23 2010, 04:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The alien eggs are generated automatically. It just needs refining to prevent being spawned in a wall or outside the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you say 'generated automatically', is this an online or offline process? If it's online and doing bounding checks vs level physics mesh and other nearby objects, it probably won't be helping with the server load issues :)

Is the level set up as a single large mesh in Havok, or is it multiple sub-meshes? Or some other set-up?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited November 2010
    well done UWE really nice improvment I actully had a really nice game on first try to connect and guess what we finished the game with everybody saying GG :D, now go take some rest you have deserved it after all this hard work, keep it up guys!

ps
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Could you please nerf the flamethrower in the next patch<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Played for about 4 hours today :x

Far too much fun, such a great time. I think I've gotten the hang of the TSA commander chair by now (very impressive voice implementation too, makes the game much easier to direct).

When this game gets polished I fear for the remnants of my social life.

Great job UWE, thanks for all the hard work... :)
  • ownosownos Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75124Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809141:date=Nov 23 2010, 12:59 PM:name=Fellblade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fellblade @ Nov 23 2010, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you say 'generated automatically', is this an online or offline process? If it's online and doing bounding checks vs level physics mesh and other nearby objects, it probably won't be helping with the server load issues :)

Is the level set up as a single large mesh in Havok, or is it multiple sub-meshes? Or some other set-up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does it make sense to render something on the server side? it's not like it needs to show graphics to anyone. Dunno how this works, just asking =)
    It's not 'rendering' something on the server; it's determining where the object should be. Generally on client/server games, the server will be in charge of certain information to prevent clients cheating - for example, player (or egg, in this case) spawn positions, player or structure health, etc.
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    Awesome patch! Like many predicted if you solve the lag issue the game is actually pretty beta worthy. :) I'm impressed UWE thanks for the hard work on this patch.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great work, had some long games with only one server crash.
  • SirChrisSirChris Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33248Members
    Thank you very much and now get finally some free days!
  • SamaseSamase Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67597Members
    Great news, i'm glad it's more playable now! I'm going to buy myself a copy to enjoy the NS1-moments all over again!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited November 2010
    Steam isn't updating the game for me :(
    No option to force check for updates either. Urgh.

Finally, after some f***ing around with Steam it decided to update. Don't get to try it 'til at the earliest 5pm :(
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809141:date=Nov 23 2010, 11:59 AM:name=Fellblade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fellblade @ Nov 23 2010, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you say 'generated automatically', is this an online or offline process? If it's online and doing bounding checks vs level physics mesh and other nearby objects, it probably won't be helping with the server load issues :)

Is the level set up as a single large mesh in Havok, or is it multiple sub-meshes? Or some other set-up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The server needs to calculate it because otherwise eggs would be in different places for each player, but it only needs to transmit the final location of each egg when it is due to spawn, so it shouldn't affect bandwidth much.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    i'd like to be able to actually play and test things without spawning into a flamethrower. It's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth that you could have such an OP weapon left untouched over 3 builds that essentially ends the game and griefs the alien team until the hives are dead.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    its really nice to see that the biggest problem now are balance issues :D jay! love you UWE
  • rinerriner Join Date: 2010-01-04 Member: 69881Members
    i actualy played a game last night ######kkkk
    good job
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I agree; while balance issues are still far away, the flamethrower is more than annoying, and to quite a similar extent the grenade launcher. The flamethrower not only toasts skulks and gorges in an instant, they also do quick work of lerks, and they blind fades totally to a point there's not much to be done (note: that might just be me sucking)

There are plenty of balance issues, and most don't need to be adressed right now, but it becomes painful for aliens when flamethrowers come into play.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    edited November 2010
    Its just as annoying as early Hydra+Crag spam ;)

Well, still unplayable for me. Even with lowest settings and a Core2Duo and a GTX460 my FPS are down to 20 when fighting starts or there is more than an empty screen. Some lagissues still but would be playable with decent performance.
    Trying to play around a bit with different resolutions.

But, its getting better indead.
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1809055:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:12 AM:name=Sorel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sorel @ Nov 23 2010, 04:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0ofULQb2c&feature=recentu" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0ofULQb2c...feature=recentu</a> Here's a link to NS2HD's patch video.

The game performance looks vastly improved from 155 to 156 in terms of basic performance, I'm pretty amazed by how smoothly it plays. Rapidly approaching the point in time where balance can become the main concern.

We are, of course, not there yet, as there are still other more technical issues, but UWE's progress is quite clear! Well done folks, you're the best <3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a nice movie - because it shows how excellent I am as Marine commander. Patton-esque, really.

Eehhh...
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The shotgun is really buggy I found. Sometimes it reloads without playing an animation, sometimes you fire but there's no indication the gun fired (sound or animation).
  • LooseshooterLooseshooter Join Date: 2010-04-25 Member: 71533Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809236:date=Nov 23 2010, 10:02 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 23 2010, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The shotgun is really buggy I found. Sometimes it reloads without playing an animation, sometimes you fire but there's no indication the gun fired (sound or animation).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you shoot as fast as you can after you run out of ammo the gun will just stop firing and continually begin the animation. I think it should click once and then automatically lock the animation until one round is back in the gun so you can fire again without worrying about animation times.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1809216:date=Nov 23 2010, 07:22 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 23 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The server needs to calculate it because otherwise eggs would be in different places for each player, but it only needs to transmit the final location of each egg when it is due to spawn, so it shouldn't affect bandwidth much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, and it won't affect server CPU usage much either probably because it doesn't happen very frequently.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    There's still a lot of annoying bugs but I think the worst issues have been fixed. I hope they continue trying to fix performance issues because that's pretty much the most annoying thing in the beta. Some limits and balance fixes would be good, like allow servers to limit the amount of sentries and hydras(probably not gonna happen anytime soon though) and tune down the OP flamethrower and GL.
    Just because it doesn't happen frequently on a frame-by-frame basis doesn't mean that it won't adversely affect the playability of the game significantly (obviously dependent on cost). Frame time spike reduction is something that you generally worry about in gamedev once the average frame rate is reasonable. Given the number of players a significant spike in frame time on the server every time one spawns could have potentially serious ramifications for the lag for the other players on the server. If you have twenty players each dying (on average) once a minute, then you're looking at a potential frame (and thus latency) spike once every three seconds.

I just thought that it was interesting that the positions of the eggs was implied to be procedural, and wondered how it was being implemented, as it could prove to be a significant frame time hit once kicked off.