Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 156 released

Comments

• MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808944:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:02 AM:name=Eldon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eldon @ Nov 23 2010, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marked improvement in this patch, had a 10 player game with no issues.

My own sentry friendly fired me in the back though while aiming for an alien!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey, we played on the same server! I saw you type that in chat.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Much better. The next that that needs fixing is the movement lag and we'll have a real game. It's still too hard to aim with the low updates.
  • FaustinianFaustinian Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73148Members
    I finally got to play a real game with this patch, and I'm impressed so far. I just wish I could actually send feedback - my F1 key either isn't working or nothing is happening when I press it D:!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808969:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:48 AM:name=Faustinian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faustinian @ Nov 23 2010, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I finally got to play a real game with this patch, and I'm impressed so far. I just wish I could actually send feedback - my F1 key either isn't working or nothing is happening when I press it D:!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You need to enable the ingame overlay thingy (and fullscreen I think, but fullscreen was weird in 155, LARGE HUD :P)

However enabling it might decrease performance, just make a getsatisfaction account and post there if you really want to post feedback
  • AfanAfan Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73276Members
    Had a no lag 12 player game.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Great so far!

Wishes for next patch: 5000 frames on my Phenom II x2 2,8 - ATI 5650 mobility - 4GBRAM - Win7 64

plz. Thank you ;)

(Anyone got an idea how to improve the frames right now? I'm still on average 24 FPS with r_shadows and r_flash at false)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited November 2010
    Yes that was a good fix. Still saw warping on occasion online, and still i was lucky to get a kill with the lmg... i think the aliens are a tad overpowered.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Definite improvement, was in a 5v5 that was running pretty well for a long time but eventually started lagging out a bit. Checked net_stats and server was running at <10 frames/second, 30 i think is the norm?
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    30 is supposed to be the norm, yes. It will be in time.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    technical:
    -fps still needs improvement ofc (when an actual game is played, running around alone is almost silky smooth)

-getting "timed out" error in the middle of gameplay, both joining and hosting games.
    on a 14ppl server my fps suddenly improved alot in MS on tram, i then went to the second exp, where a CC was supposed to be, but was no polygons where the techpoint should be, i investigated by "trying to collide with it" but fell through level and got "timed out".
    second time on my 6 slot server, was comming in rockdown MS ~7mins into game, saw skulk moving through base to teammates, then got "timed out". between seeing last movement (then everybody was off-screen so can't know if they still updated), to time-out, was only a few seconds.

-hitreg needs improvement in ~100ms ping 10+ player enviroments

polish:
    -need to make armory menu "escapable" (with "use key", or another one - clicking "close" fires a shot)

-need some indication that a marine is helping to build (a building)

-introduce collision size for macs and drifters

-hit effects (sparks/bulletholes) for shotgun pellets on surfaces

-maybe tracers for bullets like in NS1/cod-mw1-2/bf-bc2

otherwise, congrats on the progress!
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    The Great
    First true playable game.
    Had lots of fun played as marines...even fought a fade...tons of fun
    Huge huge jump from all previous games.

The Bad
    Lag is still present.
    Client prediction needs to be smoother.
    Clipping problems on running models.

The Summary
    Huge jump in progress, great job guys, recharge and Happy Holidays
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome patch.

I played as commander and we had a 6v6 game going.

We were down at the start but managed to move to another CC to recover, got a 2nd and 3rd and GL/FF combination and just overpowered the alien hydra spam and won.

First game I've been able to play from start/end; great stuff.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1808980:date=Nov 23 2010, 05:07 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Nov 23 2010, 05:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->polish:
    -need to make armory menu "escapable" (with "use key", or another one - clicking "close" fires a shot)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They want to use X for that I think, but now we have to pressed it with the cursor and it results in firing our weapon :P

Bug most likely
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    great work guys! u guys are frekin amazing! keep up the excellent work.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    edited November 2010
    Great work guys. I'm didn't expect this game to work on my current machine at all for some time to come, but the latest patch (didn't test 155) have some huge improvements. I get between 10 and 25fps, played my first two rounds and managed to kill several skulks and fades. It's quite laggy on some servers and it's not the ping. And about 50% of the gui graphics is scrambled as before. When scrambled I mean they are usually just a colored square with some noise in them. And status reports cover the tooltips when com. But that's because of the buggy graphics and playing in 800x600 I guess.

Have the late 2006 Macbook Pro with 256MB on the gfx card. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro</a> Running Win XP on awful. Using about 160 texture memory and about 330 Audio memory. Why is the Audio memory so high?

Played both matches on Rockdown. The first server had about 4v4, I had a ping of about 60-120, but it felt like I had 1-5fps. The second we were about 6v6 or more and it was much smoother and where I managed to do some damage. The fps here felt closer to what the stats said I had. My ping was around 60.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Get rid of Armory Menu: Just walk away.
  • SyderoSydero Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67882Members
    Played a game for 30 minutes and it was pretty smooth except for the end when the ticks per second dropped from 30 to about 5. Once marines have grenade launchers, the aliens have no chance.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys need to include server size when you comment on performance. Some of the big servers might not be equipped to handle that many players, or the game might still just not play that well with 16+ people. The game is definitely playable for me on smaller servers.

Also it seems like mass Hydras may still be grinding servers to a halt, but it's hard to say for sure.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <b>A lot crappy servers out there...</b> but i found a good one, played 4rounds... nearly 100% smooth all the time, only at around 20-30 hydras it starts to get laggy(but not as much as before build 155) until you kill them all.
    No good dedicated EU server online anymore :'''(
    <!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro--><b>
    UWE make a deal with some serverhosters (like gameservers.com) so we can get up some cheap gameservers....(and make a real server client that doesnt need steam(for updates) and a full license)</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    I already saw a lot players QQing that nothing changed with this patch, because they play on crappy selfhosted nondedicated servers with crappy internets and 12slots+

<!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro--><b>THIS BUILD ROCKS</b>
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    edited November 2010
    Won my first game!

FLAMETHROWER, HOOOO!

I will be a sad bear when it gets the nerf it so deserves.

People appear to be spawning in walls, I don't believe that was happening before?
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Playable. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Major milestone, UWE wins.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Today my connection sucks, so I get a lot of lag. Anyway, I enjoyed it.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Very nice ! still downloading...
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Just played a 30min game on ns_junction with about 8 players. It was pretty silky with consistent 30-50fps, and was able to kill skulks without any lag problems. ns2_tram still seems to get 1/2 the fps the other 2 maps do, which makes the 'lag' more pronounced even in smaller games. It likely needs a lot of optimization before it performs as well as the others.

Server doesn't seem to crash anymore with lots of hydras, as far as I've noticed so far, although it does get laggy.
  • meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    Patch was awesome, seriously awesome. Played a full game with 10 players with very little lag. The grenade/flamethrowers definitely need to be nerfed but the fact that I can talk about balance shows that there have been major improvements. Good work guys.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1808997:date=Nov 23 2010, 12:44 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 23 2010, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>A lot crappy servers out there...</b> but i found a good one, played 4rounds... nearly 100% smooth all the time, only at around 20-30 hydras it starts to get laggy(but not as much as before build 155) until you kill them all.
    No good dedicated EU server online anymore :'''(
    <!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro--><b>
    UWE make a deal with some serverhosters (like gameservers.com) so we can get up some cheap gameservers....(and make a real server client that doesnt need steam(for updates) and a full license)</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    I already saw a lot players QQing that nothing changed with this patch, because they play on crappy selfhosted nondedicated servers with crappy internets and 12slots+

<!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro--><b>THIS BUILD ROCKS</b>
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not feasible for game hosts to really offer this yet. The resource usage is absurdly high for a game server.. you aren't going to see cheap servers until that goes down significantly. Right now you would probably be looking at $3-4/slot
  • Hot CoffeeHot Coffee Join Date: 2010-11-03 Member: 74744Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    Really enjoyable even with the lag and imbalance. Don't listen to anyone who says nothing changed; not everyone is cut out to be a critic.

Here is what I like best/hopeful for:
    -Flamethrower is fun, at least when you're on the right end of it
    -Fade is awesome, this is the first time I saw one actually in combat. Watched a fade vs marine squad battle through commander view, had our first "WHOOO FADE DOWN!!" moment
    -I can't wait to see how the power node infrastructure adds depth to the gameplay

Here are some things I am not so sure I like:
    -Multiple commanders (on the same team) is a little weird. I suppose there are pros and cons to have 2 commanders
    -Hopefully resource production rate gets scaled back a bit when the game gets balanced.
    -Having played a lot of modern FPS, I have watched the "noob tube" grenade launcher attachment for rifles spread like a cancer... I realize the game is still imbalanced, but I really hope tech to GLs doesn't become the standard marine strategy. I really liked that grenade launchers weren't ridiculously overpowered in NS1; I hope NS2 preserves that.

Once again, great job guys, I hope you have a good holiday vacation.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spawning in while the server browser is open causes the game to get stuck, you can't exit the menu or pick a server.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Great patch, played a 30+ minute game on rockdown and it was NS. Legitimate pushes, sneak sentry drops and then ninja macs to turn on the power, fights over power nodes, lights going on and off, etc.. The power nodes are absolutely awesome, I couldn't imagine ns2 without them.

The one that that needs to happen now that the game is playable is a bunch of smaller maps, like rockdown, where the corridors are tighter and the performance is better. If you guys had a few of the smaller optimized maps that ran really well, then we could use those as the gameplay maps and then leave tram (which is quite a bit slower) as the performance check map.

Anyway, really successful patch. Actual gameplay!!
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1809018:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:25 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 23 2010, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spawning in while the server browser is open causes the game to get stuck, you can't exit the menu or pick a server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah I had that happen too, was going to report it.