We love you UWE

AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">Lets show them some love :)</div>Hey, with all those negative comments currently because some people have problems with the current "beta development release" the devs might need some cheering up, and they deserve it!

I had my first 2 real games with 155, sure, it took many tries until i got into a server and it crashed after 10 minutes, but those 10 minutes where really fun!

The game has progressed so much since the first alpha release. I'm not saying its perfect or anything, its in develepment. But there is tons of content and it looks just great. With every patch the game gets better.

So i would like to encourage the UWE team, don't let the negative comments get you. Perhaps try to make a news posts linking to the NS2HD videos to cheer up the people? Not everybody is subscribed to his channel.

Sol, let this thread be reserved for happyness and praising, there are enough other threads already.

Comments

• kinkoskinkos Join Date: 2004-01-30 Member: 25762Members, Constellation
    I completely agree. I don't understand why so many people don't understand the concept of an alpha or beta release. Go to wikipedia and read up on it so you won't look like an idiot with all the comments you feel you need to share. Suggestions and bugs are fine to post in the appropriate place but just going off and ranting on how horrible the game is at its current state is completely useless.
    Good job UWE, you have my full unconditional support and love.
    <3
    Nicholas aka k1nk0s
  • VodkaGorblaskyVodkaGorblasky Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72838Members
    This beta actually restored my faith in the team, the game was barely playable for the longest time and going into the beta I was pretty skeptical and was almost sure it would be the same old thing but to my surprise it was actually playable! sure I'd get disconnected from a server after 10 minutes or so, but I was actually having fun.

Goodjob UWE! I know it's only going to get better from here on out.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    NS2HD: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD</a>
    I love the videos he does.

Regarding the game, solving this memory leak will be a blast. So far I can play flawless until this issue crash the server. And the hydra problem, which I think is related to the memory leak, or it makes it worst and faster.

Joined a game as alien, capped 4/3 of the map almost with no effort (sadly crashed). On another server I joined marine (with a friend), I go commander and in about 3 minutes I capped half of the map, 1/4 was free and the aliens got 1/4.

I do really love the new dynamic of the game. It has all I wanted on NS 1.

One thing I enjoyed the most to see was a Fade blinking in front of me, it is amazing. I'll try the Fade next time I join a server as alien.
    I read some people saying that perhaps no one will play gorge, but I love to play as a gorge, support my team, slide down the stairs... tongue out. Call me silly but I love the gorge, my favourite Kharaa.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2010
    Guys, hang in there. It's going to be legen... wait for it... dary!
    Can't wait to convince the people at my GAMING university (oh yes living the dream or something) to buy, join in on the fun and create mods and whatnot!
    I have already managed to raise quite a few eyebrows with the editor which is miles and miles ahead with the user friendly interface, so honestly you're doing a thorough job AND you're this small company pulling it all off!

*thumbsup*
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Hey I wouldnt be coming back if I didnt love you and your work am I right?, keep it up and your hard work will pay back in the end!
    Sadly this community could be harsh with their comments despite that 99.99% of them dont know the first thing about making games, they probably learned the words game engine when they got into the alpha.
    March on guys!
  • ArakashArakash Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69954Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i also love you! :)
    keep it up!
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807608:date=Nov 20 2010, 11:38 PM:name=kinkos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kinkos @ Nov 20 2010, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I completely agree. I don't understand why so many people don't understand the concept of an alpha or beta release. Go to wikipedia and read up on it so you won't look like an idiot with all the comments you feel you need to share. Suggestions and bugs are fine to post in the appropriate place but just going off and ranting on how horrible the game is at its current state is completely useless.
    Good job UWE, you have my full unconditional support and love.
    <3
    Nicholas aka k1nk0s<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tell you why people are so upset, because they are used to have almost perfect "betas" these days. It's a new trick done by quite some companies to release such "betas" (which are in fact nothing but demos) and give their customers the illusion they would participate in the development of their favourite game, when in fact they already know what to do themself and don't care at all about what they say. What we have here however is a "real" beta.

Also keep in mind, that we had the same moaning and complaining when the alpha was released, because some people just wont get it.

So for all those people (like it has been said dozens of times):

><b>A Beta doesn't simply mean that you get to play the game before others. It means that there are still problems lingering around, some may even be larger and game breaking. By participating in such a beta you try to help the developers of getting the game to a level where it's enjoyable for you as a customer. Throw out your thoughts all day long, but don't go around and rage like a retard, that doesn't help anyone. Help them get the game to the level where you can fully enjoy it. </b><

Sadly I haven't gotten around too much to test out the current version, but to me it seems, compared to previous versions that the game has made some huge jumps in the right direction. I can't say too much else about it, but I like where this game is headed, it's going to be amazing.

Keep on going UWE, I will definitely support you because you guys are on hell of a team :)
  • SappSapp Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75099Members
    Just wanted to chime in after playing NS2 for the first time! Considering the circumstances I'm really impressed and I'm sure, the game will get better and better. Thanks for your work!
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you UWE, you guys are the best, rock on.

NS2 is amazing and will only get better. :)
  • lagarto_fmplagarto_fmp Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75116Members
    Hello.

I've just registered on the forums even tho I played a lot of NS until the TacticalGamer servers died. After reading the last couple blog entries I wanted to make a UWE Support Thread, since I think it's fairly needed. I guess this thread fits, so my point is: Most of us have been really frustrated and questioned NS2's progress; myself lost a lot of interest after the fall 2009 let down, but I'm still really curious so I've been checking the blog quite often. Now, I haven't preordered yet -shame on me-. And I know I'd been pissed off if I had after the bunch of delays and problems with the game.

Nevertheless just now I realized that this game is probably not about us as much as the devs'. They've spent the last 4+ (?) years working on it, and if the game didn't get to see the light of day due to lack of funding or whatever, it's their loss and not as much as ours. After all, for us there are plenty of games out there (even tho none as awesome as NS), and we've all spent 40 dollars on really worthless things a couple times (Left 4 Dead anyone?). The devs in the other hand would see the last 4 years of their life being wasted into something that never came to be.

Now I know we are customers, and those who never got to play NS1 might not see my point; but truth is (and I've read it quite often here in the forums) most of us have had a lot of fun and even personal growth playing NS1. That alone pays for the 40 dollars they are charging us for the preorder. So why don't we give the devs a break and hold our negativity back for a couple months? Even tho I've felt rather pessimistic about the game's progress, I never registered to spit it on the devs' faces, and I dont think I would have even if I had preordered. That helps no-one other than your hurt ego and illusions.

In short, and as the thread says... let's show UWE a little love. I'm sure that'll help the game's progress a lot more than raging day and night about how the game is late and still mostly unplayable from what I've read. Myself I'll preorder as soon as I can and even if I don't post everyday some cheer words for the team, I sure as hell won't be annoying them and killing their enthusiasm.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Another problem is, ppl love to talk about negative stuff and forget about positive.

<b>
    Its easier to blame than to make complements.
    </b>
    (and you also get more attention - sadly thats what we do everyday [shes a ######, hes an ass, windows is crap, osx is crap, linux is crap, nvidia is crap, amd is crap, intel is crap, your country is crap, your religion is crap, you re a noob, whatever - and only the loudest will win right?])

UWE did a great job so far, sure its not perfect yet - but <u><b>i've had a LOT fun games already</b></u>
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Give me a U!
    Give me a W!
    Give me a E!

Whats that?
    Unknown Worlds Entertainment! *cheering like mad*

Cant wait to get my hands on the beta, and for the record - i havent been this worked up about a game since HL2 was first announced.. Though honestly i think im gonna squeeze some more fun out of this game than hl2!
  • SoulzzSoulzz Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71597Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807937:date=Nov 21 2010, 12:00 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 21 2010, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another problem is, ppl love to talk about negative stuff and forget about positive.

<b>
    Its easier to blame than to make complements.
    </b>
    (and you also get more attention - sadly thats what we do everyday [shes a ######, hes an ass, windows is crap, osx is crap, linux is crap, nvidia is crap, amd is crap, intel is crap, your country is crap, your religion is crap, you re a noob, whatever - and only the loudest will win right?])

UWE did a great job so far, sure its not perfect yet - but <u><b>i've had a LOT fun games already</b></u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Great way of putting it :).
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    After all these years I still regard NS as one of the greatest online games ever, and some of the most enjoyable online gaming experiences I have had.

I know with being older, and things in life changing, goals, priorities, views etc. I can't expect, or shouldn't for NS2 to bring those back. But what I do expect is new experiences that will come with NS2 and I am sure they will be good in their own way as well.

UWE has made one amazing game already, here is to number 2.

Thank you guys.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    I don't love UWE, but I do admire them. They've chosen a very difficult road, one many teams run away from screaming in terror, and for what? Us. The fact they've made their engine so easy to mod is proof they haven't forgotten their roots. As someone who got their start in modding teams, that sits well with me. And I really can't think of a better company goal than to unite the world through play. They also get bonus points for the awesome art pipeline Spark uses.

To be perfectly honest though, putting Charlie in charge of Twitter is like PR suicide some days. Asking for help with a programming bug over Twitter is just tasteless, and acting surprised when players experienced connection issues after "testing with 4-6 people over LAN" embarrassed me just by reading it. I know they like having a close and open relationship with the community, and that is FANTASTIC, but there are some things that do not belong in the public eye. Poorly delivering the right words will do more harm than good. I feel like they are crippling themselves with some of the PR decisions they make, and as someone interested in playing NS2 with other people at some point in the future, this leaves me distressed.

That said, they've been getting a lot right, lately. Making a public statement about the current build's major problems, how they are being fixed, and what issues still need to be addressed is SPECTACULAR. The tracker is a grand idea, too. The community needs to look at the development team and see skilled individuals working to alleviate their problems. Anything less will cause people to lose faith, and worse yet, respect. We'll ask for a honest and open report of the development process, but in truth, we just want to hear you're on top of things. Asking for help over Twitter is exactly not that.

I feel like the PR ball has been fumbled around over at UWE, and it's causing a lot of undue negativity for NS2 that is starting to show up on the forums. Which brings me to the last point I have to share: Stop reading the damn forums so much, UWE. (I'm looking at you, Cory.) Your forums are nothing more than a portal through which disgruntled people may slap you. The people who love and admire your work are not flocking here to tell you, they're lurking in the shadows, watching you, while remaining pleasantly pacified with your progress. It is no wonder you're losing moral, the forums is quite literately a collection of people who have a problem with you. If you want to feel good about yourselves, go play your game with the fans. That's where the real joy comes from.

My little rant ends here.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    Played a bit yesterday with a friend and some <i>randoms</i>, and while I had average 25 FPS, got one-hit a lot because our commander didn't know how to buy upgrades and I crashed a few times, it still was more fun than most all games I've played in the past 5 years (bar TF2). So...no matter what people say, they're most likely going to release a great game and I'll be there. I'll be here. Waiting.

Keep rockin' UWE.
  • ownosownos Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75124Members
    Well said Watchmaker!

You rock UWE, and I really don't want to quote christina aguilera here, but, you are beautiful, no matter what they say...... (damn that was ######!) and the awkward tension consumed the forums!
  • MilitarizedMilitarized Join Date: 2005-05-08 Member: 51216Members
    Thanks UWE!!! If I wasn't a broke college student I'd definitely donate/buy more copies of NS2, especially since I never donated for NS1 and had so much fun with it.

MUCH LOVE!!!
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    edited November 2010
  • -Leviathan--Leviathan- Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72603Members
    edited November 2010
    Now i feel like i have to jump on this train.
    Playing games for about 20 years now and fps games for about a decade i eventually got bored of the usual stuff the big studios release. I guess i've circle strafed enough, drove tanks way too often and have seen too much CoD/UT/BF/whatever in general. Beside i'm not actually pleased how the big guys handle their games/community support and i don't expect any of them to develop any innovative new game. Atm it feels more like the games i've been playing for the last 10 years just with achiements and some grind factor. And i bet a lot of the guys around here felt at some point the same. So i started voting with my wallet a few years back, buying games produced and released by indie devs because i believe these are the guys beeing able to pull something great off, buying engines like torque to support the development of those and donating whenever i felt it was worth it.
    Thats how i actually ended up buying NS2, even though i've never played ns1, and i have to say this was the single best investment over the last years even if the game isn't finished yet. I think, in opposite to some others, its been a great move to develop spark because in the long run it will give UWE so many more options even after ns2 will have been released. Beside, the stuff they've got in there is truly amazing, let it be the content pipeline with the editor or the renderer. And the problems that occour now in the beta are just a minor annoyances when you look at the bigger picture. I think its been a great move to stay independent and make the game UWE wants to make not what some marketing guys and analysts think will sell good. I love the communication with the devs over here so much more than watching another pr video with some random lead desinger/CEO/artist telling everyone how great/innovative/"never seen before" their ###### is.
    And the best thing is, i enjoy the game so much more than most of the games i've played in recent years.

//Levi

<!--quoteo(post=1807983:date=Nov 21 2010, 12:04 PM:name=FluffyM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FluffyM @ Nov 21 2010, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stuff<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey Fluffy :)
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Minus the server memory leak which will get fixed on Monday hopefully, the game is totally beta worthy and it deserves a lot of respect looking at what has been fixed between build 154 and 155.

Good job! :)
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807939:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:18 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 21 2010, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Give me a U!
    Give me a W!
    Give me a E!

Whats that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unknown Worlds Entertainment! Raa raa raa!

<3, Devs.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808021:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:48 PM:name=-Leviathan-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Leviathan- @ Nov 21 2010, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Fluffy :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heya, good to see you!
    Been a while :D
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks guys!

--Cory
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The game still doesn't work very well for me but I watched the NS2HD videos and it actually looks really cool. Fighting in the dark is pretty awesome and the lighting effects from the flamethrowers and flashlights are really good looking.

So yeah, pretty cool, looks like it will be good once all the bugs are ironed out.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <3 UWE and NS(2) 4EVER!
  • Cam1Cam1 Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31059Members
  • QuelTosQuelTos Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16313Members, Constellation
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I would just like to say, as someone who writes some rudimentary graphical code and scientific simulations... Max is my programming hero :D
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    The engine is great; changing graphics in-game isn't self-evident those days.

We can see every step they are working on, <i>before</i> the patch is coming out.

They <b>trust</b> the community.

They listen to the community.

We have the chance to see a complete new game and engine growing. I for myself had never the chance.

They share their knowledge, so that we can learn from them and together with them, if we want to make an own game sometime.

With this early Beta we are not gamers who play a finished game with less content and say "ye, well, quite cool and all...glad to be the first one who played it...".
    No, here we are part of the developing team. I don't say that because they try to make it look like this, I say that, because they prove it with every patch. We are the testers and they listen to our results.

I like this way of developing.