Autobite

M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
edited October 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Begin Discussion</div>For it? Against it?

How it will change the game? What it means for everyone?

My feelings?

It's early in the game, but I'm not feeling great about this bit of information.

I think that this will lower the skill level that one needs in order to be good at playing Skulk of course.

Comments

• MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    Really makes no difference to me, I'd always bite marines heads off as I leap over them. Just makes it easier.. meaning skulks are becoming easier to play.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I never really found it hard to bite while mid-leap.

Especially once they gave us +movement, it became even easier. fastswapping in the olde days was seriously high skill.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I can't say I'm excited to see this. Having a player time their own bite was just another skill for a player to learn/become better at.

They've cited TF2 several times. One really <i>crappy</i> thing about TF2 is that the game has so little skill. It becomes dull and boring. I don't think this single feature is itself bad, but I hope that NS2 doesn't wind up like TF2 and this is on small step toward that direction.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    You still have to leap in the right direction and hit the dude, which might involve a new type of skill you have no idea about. The 'skill' involved here is just biting at the right time, nothing to do with movement. From this makes me realize they are putting more emphasis on movement skills.

I don't really understand your point about reducing the skill level. Skill is mastering a technique. As long as you can practice it deeper and deeper, there is no limit to skill.

Whatever they give us, there will be skills to master, and a good player, who has mastered the skills will always be better than a new player. And if the system is simple but open, than even the master can get better.

To me there is no easier on an infinite scale, and on top of that, the easier it is to do, the harder it is to master.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733046:date=Oct 20 2009, 11:11 PM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ Oct 20 2009, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You still have to leap in the right direction and hit the dude<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's true. If a marine is in front of you, you have to know to leap forward and not to the right.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To me there is no easier on an infinite scale, and on top of that, the easier it is to do, the harder it is to master.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Somehow I think this makes even less sense than the sentence I quoted above. But hey, that could just be me.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    I agree with the auto-bite after leap. But only is it isn't based solely on contact. The skulk must have their crosshairs pointed at the marine hitbox for the bite to go off.

And perhaps instead of a bite, it should be a claw slash (as it is in NS1), but deal much more damage. Perhaps 50%-75% of bite damage instead of the paltry 20 or so it does nowadays (which amounts to what? 7 actual damage to HP due to armor-health calculations?) That would give an "auto-bite" feature, but <i>also</i> reward skilled players for being to leap and connect the actual bite.

From the Skulk reveal video, leap in NS2 seems much more slow/theatrical, instead of the "rocket leap" is now in NS1. Putting auto-bite after leap in NS1 would probably make things too easy, but I'm confident things will fit together in NS2.

I can't see it hurting "skilled" players who can simply turn this feature off with a click in a box in the options, and it could only help "newbies" who have the survive the baptism of fire anyways. It can only help.

So clanners and "veterans" have their "skill ability" and newbies have their "chance to kill anything at all ability".

And to all those naysayers for auto-bite after leap: Guess what? Being a skulk really sucks in NS1. It's the lowest of the low. Maybe *this* is Unknown Worlds' way of beefing up the skulk in terms of combat ability in NS2. I hope this isn't the only thing, but it should help.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733047:date=Oct 20 2009, 10:20 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Oct 20 2009, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Somehow I think this makes even less sense than the sentence I quoted above. But hey, that could just be me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey I'm an 'artist' so i bet people don't understand me much :p!! I've got skills I constantly study and constantly learn to master as well, so these things are obvious to me, maybe not to everyone...

It's like painting for example. Taking a brush, dip in paint, and wipe it on canvas. That's pretty easy to do right? Does that make mastering painting an easy thing? You can be Picasso, you still evolve and still get better as time goes by.

Another example, playing an instrument, Hitting a drum ain't a hard action is it. Does that lower the skill level of drumming?

Another example, of a game I really like and should be an important influence to gamers. Chess. Such a simple game with simple rules. But so much of a challenge because of your opponent. What should be a challenge is beating your opponent. Not learning the mechanics of getting your thing to work.

Is skill for you getting to work something that is hard to handle? Or doing crazy stuff with something easy to handle? I hope I have made myself clear this time.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is this going to replace the ability to bite manually in mid-air, or be a handicap feature for people who don't want to have to do that? Actually having to hit the marine can be more challenging than biting them, especially against a jetpack, and I think it would be annoying having to rely on the automatic mechanism going off instead of being able to control the attack yourself. I like the idea of just triggering a normal bite on contact if they haven't already done it though.
  • SgtPrinnySgtPrinny Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68526Members
    Once NS2 launches try playing with autobite for a while. If you don't like it, wait for someone to make a server with it disabled (you'll probably see one come up pretty early) or just change it yourself.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Autobite sounds significantly less intuitive.
    In fact, I see no benefit at all.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I am going to wait to see it in action before I make my decision on it.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Thumbs down from me...

Prefer it the old way.
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    One of the difficult things for new players (sad I know) was leaping and biting. switching between wep 3 and wep 1 was very difficult for new players.
    Now that leap is alt-fire for bite, it should help newer players getting used to the skulk. THAT ALONE removes some skill gap between players (and it's a big one)

But why the autobite? I know you guys are trying to make it more newb-friendly, but it isn't necessary to completely dumb it down. now everyone can excel in a game merely by leaping? where is the skill?

and what about the fact that we didn't always WANT to bite... leaping into a base with a marine was a great strategy to leap around and prevent the com (and other marines) from seeing a blinking red structure. you get hit a little yes, but the marine is left shooting aimlessly while his ammo is - depleted. then come in with the real attack. with autobite it might AUTObite the structure because of it's range and thus remove some element of surprise.

leaping with silence prevented any sound from bite being heard. so you could literally leap between marines and some marines would literally be unsure that there is even a skulk around. no sound when you didn't bite (not the bite itself but the sound that accompanied a bite hit would be heard w/ silence)...

I dunno... I might be overreacting but that is just my initial response.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    I don't get it. If leap is the alt fire for bite why does this need to be automated?

Are we going to get auto fire when I swing my crosshair over a skulk also?
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    My comment from the twitter thread:

autobite? Isn't the point of actually implementing simultaneous bite/leap capability so that you can bite after leaping? Seems not only redundant but a little patronizing. I vote for a dump, after all if lerks could still bite would you guys implement auto-bite for them too?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1733035:date=Oct 20 2009, 06:12 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Oct 20 2009, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->autobite? Isn't the point of actually implementing simultaneous bite/leap capability so that you can bite after leaping? Seems not only redundant but a little patronizing. I vote for a dump, after all if lerks could still bite would you guys implement auto-bite for them too?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1733074:date=Oct 20 2009, 08:39 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Oct 20 2009, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An auto-bite, with the in-mouth cam, will just serve to disorient players unfamiliar with the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I was never in favor of leap secondary fire, but that's another discussion I suppose. My initial reaction to the auto-fire was something like "What? That takes skill away!"

On second though: Biting on contact really does not take that much skill anyway... The more skilled players will likely bypass this feature by flying OVER the frontiermen and biting them WITHOUT making contact, which increases survivability for the skulk in situations where stopping on a marine to bite him will surely get you killed by another marine.

HOWEVER, I agree that it's best if the auto-attack would be a stab (or slash) that's a little less effective than the bite. Therefore there is a reward for doing the manual bite right before contact(but close enough to connect). Or right after contact... to do stab/bite combo.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If my gorge would auto heal I could eat milk and cookies, and never have to even play the game! :D
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    Autobite? But I <i>like</i> to bite things. Why automate something that is fun to do? Don't see why this is necessary, but I can't imagine it really hurting that much either.
  • Alurcard2Alurcard2 Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18614Members
    There is nothing wrong with simplifying the controls, but automating attacks and such... meh...
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    Autobite? Surely this is a joke? If its true, and tehy are headed towards the whole "the bottom line is making it more accessible for all players" the way TF2 became, then, to be honest, Im probably not gonig to play NS2, ever. Perhaps ill watch some videos of it, but autobite is a dealbreaker in a game that I wouldnt want to be part of or a community i would want to be a part of. Hope my views arent too extreme, I just think autobite is horrifying idea.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am in very much disagreement with this function as well. It's just far too "simple", and I will feel like I'm not entirely in control of my character as I used to be. This also fails to factor in when a skulk DOESN'T want to bite people, as already mentioned above me a couple times.

Another fellow inquired about its usefulness against jetpackers too, and how actually touching a marine was generally harder than just biting them, which had a little bit of range.

And I'm not even happy with setting leap as the alternate fire for bite! What if we want to xeno and leap? Which now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they even announced xeno...
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733054:date=Oct 21 2009, 02:10 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Oct 21 2009, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Autobite sounds significantly less intuitive.
    In fact, I see no benefit at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

eh, i think your just a bit scared of change.

What i posted on twitter thread

lolling at the flaming of an ability that they haven't seen just because they think it takes away skill from a game they haven't seen anything in game of yet.

So you never want the game to auto reload for you when you run out of bullets? just because it takes the skill away, you saying that the auto crouching when going into vents for left 4 dead isn't good just because it does a thing you should do for you? Its so much more well lets just say something that the game does for you, but you never really thought about it, as a skulk they made it just walk up to a wall and you run on it. There probably are many more of these things, small but affecting your gameplay experience(most of the time- for the better).

If they throw this idea away just like they did with the tazer jsut because you guys didn't see it ingame and it wasn't a replica of the ns1 sniper pistol.(which i admit was good-served useful even at late game) i donno this game will turn out to be a flop because the developers never got to try much new. And that's a lot of the times a bad thing.

The skulk, will instinctively bite the enemy- you are a untamed beast, with a threat on your hive, The player should feel instinctive and i think thats the approach that they might be taking with this.
    Simply put, leaping and timing a bite is one of the most satisfying techniques in NS.

No one wants to frantically leap around hoping to automatically tag a marine, especially because the new leap is suppose to be even more of a standard movement mechanic than NS1 leap.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733087:date=Oct 20 2009, 10:01 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Oct 20 2009, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply put, leaping and timing a bite is one of the most satisfying techniques in NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Totally agree.

They might have thought autobite is good because it makes it more accessible to new players, but I really think automating attacks with an in-mouth camera will just serve to further disorient players. I know when I hop back into NS it takes some getting used to to lose my vision for a split second when I attack. Imagine if that wasn't even under my control.
    So, it doesn't really help the new players.

As you said, the timing is extremely satisfying. I am all for alt-fire being leap, because that's what I had set up in NS1 anyways (+movement was bound to mouse2), but I don't see the point of adding the automatic attack. If you're going to add it onto leap, why not also make the skulk automatically bite whenever you run by a marine?
  • Alurcard2Alurcard2 Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18614Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733084:date=Oct 20 2009, 09:47 PM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Oct 20 2009, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I'm not even happy with setting leap as the alternate fire for bite! What if we want to xeno and leap? Which now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they even announced xeno...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Might as well just make alternate fire for skulks leap ,) ... maybe not, but I cant imagine imagine it being anything other than leap for xeno.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733086:date=Oct 20 2009, 10:00 PM:name=Tha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tha @ Oct 20 2009, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->eh, i think your just a bit scared of change.

What i posted on twitter thread

lolling at the flaming of an ability that they haven't seen just because they think it takes away skill from a game they haven't seen anything in game of yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you incapable of critical thinking? You don't have to see something in action to conceptually imagine it.

<!--quoteo(post=1733086:date=Oct 20 2009, 10:00 PM:name=Tha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tha @ Oct 20 2009, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you never want the game to auto reload for you when you run out of bullets? just because it takes the skill away, you saying that the auto crouching when going into vents for left 4 dead isn't good just because it does a thing you should do for you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bite timing is a key component of the NS1 movement minigame between opponents. Bite timing changes depending on your opponent's decisions; it is a game mechanic. Auto-reloading is not a game mechanic nor is auto-crouching into vents. An opponent's decisions does not affect a players decision to reload once they are empty or crouch when entering a vent. Your argument is totally irrelevant.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    I agree with the people who suggested it be a leg-blade slash instead of auto-bite. It's consistent with NS1 (although the damage would certainly be much greater), and it's just intuitive that a creature with knives for feet would do its damage with those when it jumps on you.
  • CricketCricket Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67603Members
    I don't think I mind an autobite on contact when leaping. I wonder if you can still bite manually while in the air, though. So that if you kind of skim past a marine, you can still turn in the air and have a chance of biting him. Otherwise, I don't have so much of a problem with it. Personally I WAS always expecting there to be some kind of animation in NS1 for colliding with a marine while leaping and would generally forget the secondary of input of biting. Having the bite occur on contact seems kind of natural to me.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733087:date=Oct 21 2009, 01:01 AM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Oct 21 2009, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply put, leaping and timing a bite is one of the most satisfying techniques in NS.

No one wants to frantically leap around hoping to automatically tag a marine, especially because the new leap is suppose to be even more of a standard movement mechanic than NS1 leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT

Bite timing is fun to get better at, and would seriously dull gameplay (as a skulk anyways) and possibly make it too easy if taken away. Even so, it's not like bite timing was too hard in the first place to warrant something like this.