Autobite

14567810»

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734029:date=Oct 26 2009, 12:12 AM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ahnteis @ Oct 26 2009, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is what they're going for.

Leap in NS1 was supposed to be an attack. It did touch-based damage like charge, but it was a pain to do damage with (you'd slip off the sides) and everyone ended up using it for movement in conjunction with bite. I think they just wanted to return to that model. I'm with the people about an auto-slash instead though because this would remove the ability to time your own bites unless they're planning on giving it a separate cooldown from manual bite (which would end up looking odd, etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hm, I always considered leap in NS1 to be mostly about the movement. While it did some extra damage, I always thought the damage was to make it worthwhile to slam into the marine instead of fly by and Focus Bite. Also, the damage wasn't very large if I remember correctly.

Similarly, Charge I always considered more about the movement than damage. Especially when they added the ability to knock other people aside. The extra damage was just a bit of icing so that brushing by people had meaning.

But maybe that's just in my crazy world.

I'd say keep some damage on leap in NS2, but the auto-bite is something I'd turn off since there are times I just want to leap by them and not waste adren biting their face off. Watching Marines waste bullets is always awesome.
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    I too agree that an auto-slash option would be a better idea, but also, if you were to bite, auto-slash would be cancelled out. A one or the other type situation. I feel that this would appease those who are for auto-bite and those who aren't without having to add in the option to turn the feature off.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734132:date=Oct 27 2009, 04:20 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Oct 27 2009, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm, I always considered leap in NS1 to be mostly about the movement. While it did some extra damage, I always thought the damage was to make it worthwhile to slam into the marine instead of fly by and Focus Bite. Also, the damage wasn't very large if I remember correctly.

Similarly, Charge I always considered more about the movement than damage. Especially when they added the ability to knock other people aside. The extra damage was just a bit of icing so that brushing by people had meaning.

But maybe that's just in my crazy world.

I'd say keep some damage on leap in NS2, but the auto-bite is something I'd turn off since there are times I just want to leap by them and not waste adren biting their face off. Watching Marines waste bullets is always awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

most marines dont miss... D: thats the sad thing.

well for me anyways.. Leap!!!!!!!!!! 2 seconds later they almost trace you with thier h4x a1m and your dead
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734139:date=Oct 27 2009, 03:13 AM:name=M00_cow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M00_cow @ Oct 27 2009, 03:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I too agree that an auto-slash option would be a better idea, but also, if you were to bite, auto-slash would be cancelled out. A one or the other type situation. I feel that this would appease those who are for auto-bite and those who aren't without having to add in the option to turn the feature off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A rose by any other name...
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734254:date=Oct 28 2009, 06:32 AM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 28 2009, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A rose by any other name...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    One rose has a "cooldown" and is normally "smelled" by pressing mouse1, while the other rose is backed by logical consistency and can be balanced independently of bi--i mean rose, doesn't inspire confusion or smell like a skill cap. Get it?
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734292:date=Oct 28 2009, 03:42 PM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Oct 28 2009, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One rose has a "cooldown" and is normally "smelled" by pressing mouse1, while the other rose is backed by logical consistency and can be balanced independently of bi--i mean rose, doesn't inspire confusion or smell like a skill cap. Get it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was replying to a suggestion that instead of a bite animation there was a slash animation even though the actual in game effect would be the same (as in there would still be a bite delay after the bite or slash and the damage would be the same so it really was a rose by any other name).

The idea that you will be able to do flyby bites and that this change would affect a 'skill cap' assumes you will be playing the same game as NS1 and that there will be 'air control'. I'm hoping that there is no 'air control' and that the direction you jump/leap is set at takeoff which would be more visually and logically correct based on simple physics.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
  • SageGasparSageGaspar Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3686Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733193:date=Oct 21 2009, 02:42 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Oct 21 2009, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember all the people who thought +movement removed skill because people didn't have to hit leap, switch weapons, bite and just had to hit key one, key two. There was a lot of "oh no now it doesn't take skill!" at that time too.

All this change does is remove a single step just like last time. For players with suboptimal computers they will be able to do a quick action that does damage. If leap simply did damage like it used to instead of 'bite' would you all be ######<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well fastswapping wasn't really intuitive and was sort of a pain in the ass, +movement is how I would expect a game to handle an ability like Leap from square one these days. Pressing one button to leap and one to chomp isn't too demanding of new players I think. There's something to be said for a low skill bar (part of the reason I love TF2) but I don't think NS2 needs to set the bar that low.

It could all be a bunch of crap over nothing though, it really depends on how their new Leap works as to whether this "feels" right or not. I think the take-home message for the devs is not to discount the visceral connection between hitting a button and have your skulk chomp down. If leap feels like you click a button and then watch a kill animation it will have lost something.
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    Autobite no longer exists.gg
  • GeezerGeezer Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31976Members
    May as well close this thread.