Cool (concept) tech: The D-Mask may be the high-tech future of diving and snorkeling

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 5,241 Advanced user
UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear | Increase Subnautica view distance | Useful info to post with error reports | Recovery of corrupted saved games | How to easily update your drivers
Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with Want more frames? Try adding this to your launch options: -window-mode exclusive | Solve options not saving or black screens by deleting options file | Possible workaround for Pause / Menu Bug | Rescue a trapped Seamoth / PRAWN
Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server ← swing on by! | SuspensionRailway's Modding Emporium Categorized list of mods, including 1st playthrough-friendly Hey, look, mods! ReShade mods Subnautica NexusMods
Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
Forum BBCode Rainbow text generator
CaptainFearlessAnomalyDetectedJamezorgnarfblat

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members Posts: 767 Advanced user
    When can I buy one I will give my soul for this
    ================Anom================
    "Open windows, closing doors,
    God can't help us anymore!
    Souls forever, come and go,
    Burn all the bridges and fire in the hole!"
    ================Anom================
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members Posts: 961 Advanced user
    Wouldn't the mask get clouded as you breathe onto it, like what happens in paint balling?
    I am currently writing a fantasy novel which I plan to be the beginning of a six-seven book series.
    To sate my thirst for people to read my stories, however, I write one on the forums in the meantime: FE . DC .
  • berossmberossm Join Date: 2019-03-23 Member: 251929Members Posts: 1 Freshly registered user
    Designers are not engineers.

Several problems:
    It will fog. There is a reason existing full fact scuba masks have a breathing cup over your mount and nose.
    Get weather under water... NO wireless signals make it about 20cm through water depending on the frequency.
    There is no way on earth the battery life would be more than 10 minutes in cold water. (less if you actually use the light)

And in the attempt to do so this would probably start around $3500 with all the things the 'designed into it'
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members Posts: 562 Advanced user
    The linked article does mention there being hurdles, especially fogging. Really cool concept, but doubt it will be doable any time soon.
    How to clear your Cache, by 0x6A7232.
    How to use console commands. (Currently PC only, sorry)
    Stuck, and just want to most recent base/Cyclops? Use "Warpme" command. Want to get out of the ceiling? Press F1 and note your camera postion. First number is North/South, second number is up/down, and third is East/West. Reduce the 2nd number by 10, then use "warp x y z" (where x, y, and z are the position you want to be).
    0x6A7232
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members Posts: 629 Advanced user
    edited March 24
    berossm wrote: »
    There is no way on earth the battery life would be more than 10 minutes in cold water. (less if you actually use the light)

Good thing battery tech is constantly being improved though for it to be viable along with several other kinds of technology like having exo-suits for civilian and military purposes they really need to develop something akin to a Ironman miniature arc reactor or at least a very, very long life battery that would take quite a while to drain.

It's a cool concept but the reality is is that it's going to be quite while before it even becomes a viable product/technology to use with the current pace of things, unlike computer technology which is basically every 6 months that new chip/card is outdated by the new model on the market.
  • General_MagnumGeneral_Magnum Join Date: 2019-03-24 Member: 251936Members Posts: 5 Fully active user
    berossm wrote: »

Good thing battery tech is constantly being improved though for it to be viable along with several other kinds of technology like having exo-suits for civilian and military purposes they really need to develop something akin to a Ironman miniature arc reactor or at least a very, very long life battery that would take quite a while to drain.

It's a cool concept but the reality is is that it's going to be quite while before it even becomes a viable product/technology to use with the current pace of things, unlike computer technology which is basically every 6 months that new chip/card is outdated by the new model on the market.

Good thing there's ION BATTERIES!!!!!!!
    Not in real life, though. Only in SUBNAUTICA!!! THE BEST GAME ON EARTH!!!!!!!
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members Posts: 77 Advanced user
    Well maybe if you have a heater or something built into(I’m no scientist so don’t quote me on this) the battery life will last longer it also might help with the fogging.