Cool (concept) tech: The D-Mask may be the high-tech future of diving and snorkeling

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    When can I buy one I will give my soul for this
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Wouldn't the mask get clouded as you breathe onto it, like what happens in paint balling?
  • berossmberossm Join Date: 2019-03-23 Member: 251929Members
    Designers are not engineers.

Several problems:
    It will fog. There is a reason existing full fact scuba masks have a breathing cup over your mount and nose.
    Get weather under water... NO wireless signals make it about 20cm through water depending on the frequency.
    There is no way on earth the battery life would be more than 10 minutes in cold water. (less if you actually use the light)

And in the attempt to do so this would probably start around $3500 with all the things the 'designed into it'
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    The linked article does mention there being hurdles, especially fogging. Really cool concept, but doubt it will be doable any time soon.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited March 2019
    berossm wrote: »
    There is no way on earth the battery life would be more than 10 minutes in cold water. (less if you actually use the light)

Good thing battery tech is constantly being improved though for it to be viable along with several other kinds of technology like having exo-suits for civilian and military purposes they really need to develop something akin to a Ironman miniature arc reactor or at least a very, very long life battery that would take quite a while to drain.

It's a cool concept but the reality is is that it's going to be quite while before it even becomes a viable product/technology to use with the current pace of things, unlike computer technology which is basically every 6 months that new chip/card is outdated by the new model on the market.
  • General_MagnumGeneral_Magnum Join Date: 2019-03-24 Member: 251936Members
    berossm wrote: »

Good thing battery tech is constantly being improved though for it to be viable along with several other kinds of technology like having exo-suits for civilian and military purposes they really need to develop something akin to a Ironman miniature arc reactor or at least a very, very long life battery that would take quite a while to drain.

It's a cool concept but the reality is is that it's going to be quite while before it even becomes a viable product/technology to use with the current pace of things, unlike computer technology which is basically every 6 months that new chip/card is outdated by the new model on the market.

Good thing there's ION BATTERIES!!!!!!!
    Not in real life, though. Only in SUBNAUTICA!!! THE BEST GAME ON EARTH!!!!!!!
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    Well maybe if you have a heater or something built into(I’m no scientist so don’t quote me on this) the battery life will last longer it also might help with the fogging.