Worked at first. Now crashing every time. Dirextx 11?

CastMeAwayCastMeAway Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235288Members
Hi everyone!

I bought the game a few weeks ago and the game worked fine for the first day. No issues. Playing at high quality. Then I tried loading it again the next day and suddenly, within a minute to five minutes, the game would freeze and either crash my computer or force me to hard reset. There is no clear cause. I can be looking at the PDA, going up and down the stairs, or just standing/floating still looking at the scenary doing absolutely nothing. There is no drop in frame rate, no choppiness in quality. The game runs and looks perfect and then suddenly freezes. I've tried changing the settings. High quality, low quality, resolution, etc... nothing matters. It still crashes. My computer is not overheating. My computer is actually brand new as of a month ago.

Specs:
Alienware 13 R3
CPU: Intel (r) Core(TM) i7- 7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 16256 Megabytes
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
GPU RAM: 6046 megabytes

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I tried verifying the game through steam. I wanted to wait until full release to see if it had any affect and just tried the game again and it froze within 2 minutes of loading.

Any ideas? Could it be that Windows 10 uses Directx 12 instead of 11 which is a requirement for the game? Has anyone else had this same issue? I'm at my wits end so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Drag0nDrag0n Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235753Members
    Same but I click play, and it comes up with a black screen. The cursor and the music load but that is it. I have tried uninstalling the game and verifying the integrity of the game files twice and still it doesn't load.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Both of you, post your \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt
    Also, run dxdiag (type it in the start menu and hit enter when it shows as "run command") and hit "save all information" and save it as dxdiag.txt and post that as well.

You can either use Google Drive / Dropbox / OneDrive and post a sharing link to the files, or you can use pastebin.com and post the link to that.
  • CastMeAwayCastMeAway Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235288Members
    Ah my bad! Here is a link to the two mentioned files. Let me know if the files/drive won't work and I will try dropbox instead.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cFw3G3Hjk8cUfllryspZNgX68ObdkPnH?usp=sharing
    @CastMeAway Is that crash log after a crash / freeze, or a successful exit?
    @0x6A7232 I've not been able to successfully exit since the first time I loaded up the game weeks ago. Its always a freeze now.
    @0x6A7232 should I continue to post crash logs each time it happens? I was able to play a little longer than usual the other day but it again froze randomly when I stopped my characters movement. A few additional side notes: I don't have any other programs running in the background and it happens regardless of if I am using my keyboard/mouse or a controller. Its also a total freeze, i've never had audio come through after the freeze. Thank you for your help by the way!
  • CrouchingPumaCrouchingPuma Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235915Members
    edited January 2018
    I'm having the same problems. I purchased the game on Tuesday, and it ran perfectly fine on max settings for 3-4 hours. Every time after that first day, it's crashed within 15-30 minutes. Yesterday it was within 10 minutes. Now it's within 30 seconds, every single time, without fail. It is exactly as you describe. No performance drop, no screen tear, no anything. Just a freeze, and crash to desktop. It's really frustrating because I love this game, but I'm not going to start over as I'm 6 hours in, which isn't even really all that much but I'm still not going to do that, at least not for a very long time.

I also have a GTX 1060 6 GB GPU, in addition to 8 GB of RAM and an i5-6500. This is the only game affected. I believe I have had two crashes since I built this PC almost 18 months ago, and neither crash was ever repeated. This game has crashed 25+ times in the last 72-ish hours and I'm reaching the end of my patience.
  • CrouchingPumaCrouchingPuma Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235915Members
    edited January 2018
    I do really love this game. My comment came off as a bit harsh. I'm just very frustrated.
  • DarkDvrDarkDvr Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235921Members
    edited January 2018
    Crashing all the time, losing progress on a regular basis.
    Such a DAMN SHAME that such an awesome, immersive game is killed by horrible stability problems. Playing tons of games, and it's been years since I played a game that crashes all the freaking time.

Intel i5 6600K no overclock
    GTX 980Ti no overclock, latest drivers
    Samsung SSD 850
    12GB RAM
    Win10 latest update

It's been reported so many times by so many players, it's embarrassing it's not fixed yet.

I've uploaded my crash reports here, if developers even care:
    drive.google.com/open?id=1oSKonpfqo0QjXBQ1fSSh1tYuPSbEU7QX

My output_log.txt:
    pastebin.com/2NaUkk6E
  • Parabola357Parabola357 Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235765Members
    edited January 2018
    Have the same issue. Played for ~60 hours and had some crashes before but now it's unplayable.
    Tried -force-d3d9, reinstalling and clearing CellsCache. After loading I have a few seconds before the crash.
    Here's my dxdiag, output log and error log from subnautica folder:
    www.dropbox.com/s/u5nhfuzm6nbftzp/error.log?dl=0
    www.dropbox.com/s/l2pufhw2pzd59pi/DxDiag.txt?dl=0
    www.dropbox.com/s/9ducild9399pptl/output_log.txt?dl=0
    Will be grateful for any help
  • DeusionDeusion United States Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235979Members
    edited January 2018
    I am also having the same issue. I bought the game yesterday and played for about 11 hours straight (yeah I know binge time). Tried playing today multiple times and I can maybe at most get 30 minutes sometimes. There are times I load in and take a step to just crash. It doesn't just crash the game though, it actually crashes my whole computer. I think only once did it just crash the game and not affect the computer at all. I've been playing new indie games recently that aren't even optimized fully and they don't do this and require higher system requirements to run it, so I am confused as to what is going on. Cleared the cache and even reinstalled. Watched splattercatgaming not only just do live streaming of this game, but also youtube videos of this. So I was super excited, but can't even play anymore. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
    Dxdiag File = s://1drv.ms/t/s!ApQucFo5SxMri2GRWN0Vhu1AhOTl (Took out the http from the far left side since supposedly I can't add links)
    Output log File = s://1drv.ms/t/s!ApQucFo5SxMri2A8mE6KzPIDofBE (Took out the http from the far left side since supposedly I can't add links)

If I need to do anything else let me know. Thanks for your time and help.
  • erythroerythro Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235787Members
    edited January 2018
    I have the same problem, it was switching to opengl delayed crash but didn't fix it (adding -force-opengl to my launch options in steam).

I'd rather have dx11 graphics though!

here's my pastebin ID, devs: itu9FsN3 (not allowed to post direct links)

Also underclocking my gpu helped delay the crash.

edit: my drivers are up to date and I've reinstalled subnautica and verified game integrity
    @0x6A7232 and @nesrak1 Here is my most recent file as of today. Game froze right after I
    jumped into the water after first coming out of the life pod for the first time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-iceCHse3px-DXc89DQjTO3Wdl_TrVpW/view?usp=sharing
    Just tried again and the end affect was different this time. Loaded up my game from the beginning, jumped into the water and was swimming around fine collecting fish. Suddenly the game freezes. Instead of having to hard reset, the game fully crashes to my desktop. Never had this happen before. My computer then seemed fine but nothing on my desktop would work and suddenly my computer blue screened. Newest log is here...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a460MXB7PyDc_ziGYuIE0Xj-D2TVohiH/view?usp=sharing
    I think at this point you need to look at updating graphics drivers, testing memory (Windows has a tool, look for memory diagnostic in the start menu).

Subnautica had crashed and exited, and your PC Blue Screened. Try also updating audio drivers.

Also, try blowing out your PC or laptop with compressed air (careful not to spray it upside down and have it come out as liquid though)

From an elevated command prompt: (start, type in
    cmd

and then right-click Command Prompt in the results and click "Run as administrator")

Run a chkdsk of all hard disks:
    chkdsk c: /f

(replace c: with drive letters until you've checked them all)

Check your source file repository for errors:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Check your system files for errors and replace them if necessary using
    sfc /scannow

@0x6A7232 Sorry wrong word choice. My computer did not blue screen. It simply had an error and had to restart as part of the Windows 10 operating system due to the game freezing.

I clean/blow out my computer on a daily basis as I live with animals and want to keep any and all hair out of my system (i'm always careful to not accidently cause liquid to form when using the compressed air cans). I have already double checked all of my drivers for their integrity and updated them when needed. I also have already tested the memory. I did all of this a few days ago. I just performed all of the checks you listed above in Command Prompt with no issues found.
    Nuts. OK, what Antivirus do you use? Try this for Windows Defender, or, if you prefer another antivirus, search for how to do an offline scan using that instead.

Did you try using the startup option
    -window-mode exclusive

as well?
    @0x6A7232 I use McAfee Antivirus and have already tried running multiple scans offline. I just tried it in window mode, had it running for a few minutes and so far haven't seen a freeze. Its only been about 2 minutes though and the longest I've been able to go before a freeze was about 10 minutes (that only happened twice). So I'll see how the window mode fares. Is this a known issue (windowed vs fullscreen)?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I had an odd repeated crash experience yesterday that made me think some crashes are related to waterproof lockers (only as you get a ways from them). It might be related to method of dropping, as I had originally dropped from pda screen, but equip-and-drop without bumping each other seemed to fix my crash. I will have to test further if issue returns.

(Part of my though on this is that lockers are now saved different than previously, to prevent their loss on game updates; maybe the way it remembers is slightly messed up)
    CastMeAway wrote: »
    @0x6A7232 I use McAfee Antivirus and have already tried running multiple scans offline. I just tried it in window mode, had it running for a few minutes and so far haven't seen a freeze. Its only been about 2 minutes though and the longest I've been able to go before a freeze was about 10 minutes (that only happened twice). So I'll see how the window mode fares. Is this a known issue (windowed vs fullscreen)?

-window-mode exclusive forces true fullscreen, vs the normal "full-screen window" Subnautica uses.

They only use Window mode because of a bug in the older version of Unity. They updated to the newer version of Unity but haven't removed the full-screen window thing.

So, if that fixes your problem, then your computer doesn't like running in full-screen windowed mode.

Downside: alt+tab won't work. Upside: better performance as your PC doesn't have to worry about the Windows environment in the background (hence it being "exclusive")

You might be able to go into your graphics settings and find something that wasn't playing nice with full-screen windowed mode if this fix works.
    It was always in 'fullscreen.' Never 'full-screen windowed mode.' I switched it to window mode though (just unclicked the fullscreen option in the settings of the game), kept it at the highest resolution so it still filled my screen, and I haven't had a crash since.
    @0x6A7232 I apparently spoke to soon..... It worked perfectly yesterday and the day before for more than two hours. I started it up today.. exactly the same as yesterday and after a solid 20 minutes it randomly froze and then crashed. Decided to try it a second time, got in for like maybe 5 or 10 minutes then it froze and crashed. Also had an interesting graphical tear in the second freeze/crash. I took a picture of it before it crashed my computer.

Files linked below.

Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EYf0Sh11VFmuonVJbK2PkXTZdISE0YuE/view?usp=sharing

Crash log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x0AATWfVW2Jxv84czQgib6haHA2m4dKq/view?usp=sharing

I was so exited that it was finally working too :'(
  • jimmybee1108jimmybee1108 Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236352Members
    i believe im getting the same problem.
    mine just wont open at all though. had no problems in-game when it was working. now just no launch at all
    @all try looking in your graphics settings (nVidia Control Panel, AMD Settings, some with dual nVidia or AMD + Intel integrated GPUs have reported they had to go into Intel's settings) and look for options to disable scaling, or it might be called maintain aspect ratio. You want scaling off / aka maintain aspect ratio.

Not sure if this will help at all, but it's solved some problems.

have a read down this thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/
  • AlberichtAlbericht Brasil Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236342Members
    I'm also getting constant Crashes can you check on me please?
    drive.google.com/file/d/15vBqDsy7iPa1C1kCc4475mTVizDnxC7y/view?usp=sharing (Error Reports, Output_log and DxDiag file of my PC)
    I already reinstalled the game; runned sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f; began a new campaign; lowered the graphics;reinstalled and updated the Nvidia Driver. Possible causes: Overheating, Directx error or something related to frameworks or C++ packages or a incompatibility with Win 10, i loved that game and i nreally want to play it free of fear and losing progress for Crashing, its very random, can take 1 hour, or 5 minutes playing time for crashing, usually the game closes suddenly and other times a warning box telling subnautica.exe has stopped working.
  • bitRootbitRoot Switzerland Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236481Members
    Just posting so I can create my own crashreport...
    @Albericht you've already upgraded your video drivers to the latest directly from the manufacturer (nVidia, AMD, or Intel)?
    I upgraded via Nvidia Experience software, i also checked my temperatures during crash my CPU reaches 91ºC and GPU 80 Cº that is acceptable.