What Holidays themed stuff would you like to see in Subnautica?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
Just curious here. Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing Holiday Creepvines. With colored clusters. :)

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Oh man....
    Where's the facepalm emoji.

How about NO holiday stuff, at all?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Oh man....
    Where's the facepalm emoji.

How about NO holiday stuff, at all?

40.gif
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Oh, good grief. If you made it an optional thing that you could switch on with a console command, that would be cool.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited December 2017
    Where's the candy cane knife mod?

Like literally I can't remember what post it was in.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members

Hope you find it. That would be intereting to see. :)
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »

Hope you find it. That would be intereting to see. :)

Turns out I misspelled candy as "cadny"

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146665/subnautica-candy-cane-knives-and-other-mods
  • wallygatorwallygator Join Date: 2017-12-11 Member: 234375Members
    I just joined to post my non-support for ANY holiday themes. Grrrr...
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I've always hated holiday-themed events in games.
    how-the-grinch-stole-christmas.jpg?w=320
    wallygator wrote: »
    wWPJpoCGNq3cDYbFqPTWtvJSzqs.jpg

Oh, and welcome to the forums. nod.gif
    grinch_.jpg

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    how-the-grinch-stole-christmas.jpg?w=320
    wallygator wrote: »
    wWPJpoCGNq3cDYbFqPTWtvJSzqs.jpg

Oh, and welcome to the forums. nod.gif
    grinch_.jpg

Might need these
    8830743740446.jpg
    I've always hated holiday-themed events in games.

TBH, they did it in a pretty neat and none intrusive way with NS2
  • EmptyPepsiCanEmptyPepsiCan Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234350Members
    I'd like to see a cool new submarine, which users could paint red and green if they were into that kind of thing.

Or how about this -

Add a mirror so we can see our guy's reflection, then have all of the bases and subs and such change their greetings from "Welcome aboard, captain" to "Welcome aboard and happy holidays, captain." Then we could go to the mirror to see our guy looking sad.

Or perhaps a map feature...?
    Hehe I keep forgetting people want to call it "the holidays"

It's bloody Christmas, silly PC culture :D
  • BlackyNoirBlackyNoir Join Date: 2017-03-06 Member: 228656Members
  • Sky_The_FoxSky_The_Fox Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233065Members
    how about the reaper leviathan in a winter sweater, or maybe a santa hat on the cutefish?
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited December 2017
    I think UWE should just add in red robes and not comment on it further.

What? Not like you can restrict the distribution of red robes for some unnamed and uninfringing event. :)

Kouji_San wrote: »

What was done in NS2?

It's being polite, something done in a civil society. And it's inclusive, as there are different holidays over the season.

But let's get really traditional and call it what it should be called.

Yule.

Yuletide greetings all! :)
    I've always been of the opinion that if someone greets you with a specific holiday, it's meant in good will (Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Merry Christmas). Somehow people started getting a little edgy, and Happy Holidays is a rather bland, generic "happy whatever seasonal celebration you celebrate". I could see that coming from someone who doesn't celebrate anything, so I guess it makes sense that companies do it.

I just don't see why Merry Christmas can't be taken in the spirit it's meant. If you celebrate Hanukkah you can still have a Merry Christmas, it's meant as a well wishing for that day, not an insistence that you participate in it.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Deck the Seabase with boughs of holly
    Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la
    'Tis the Update to be jolly
    Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la Don we now our gay dive-suit Fa-la-la, la-la-la, la-la-la.
    Troll the ancient Yule-tide carol
    Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la.

See the blazing cyclops before us.
    Strike the carar and join the chorus.

Follow me with merry cutefish.
    While I tell of Xbox Updates.

Fast away the old changeset passes.
    Hail the new Version, lads and lasses
    Sing we joyous, all together.
    Heedless of the bugs and Leviathans.
    Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la!

I was sure there was something about a meade cup in there.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I have way too much free time on my hands this holiday season... not sorry, though. :wink:

emfh8l3i5849.jpg

If, for some ungodly reason, anyone wants a big version of this... get it here.
    edited December 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    I think UWE should just add in red robes and not comment on it further.

What? Not like you can restrict the distribution of red robes for some unnamed and uninfringing event. :)

What was done in NS2?

It's being polite, something done in a civil society. And it's inclusive, as there are different holidays over the season.

But let's get really traditional and call it what it should be called.

Yule.

Yuletide greetings all! :)

They added small Christmas/Halloween decoration throughout the maps. And you can throw candy at each other on Halloween

And being polite for the sake of "not offending" is highly overrated, it was never a problem until overly sensitive dipshits with too much time on their hands started whining on behalf of people who never had any issues with it.

I just want a magical man on a sleigh bringing joy to the world and kids. Christmas delivers, where the rest are just lacking! Santa is just like a more flamboyant and flashy Sinterklaas, who is the OG of these kinds of celebrations!
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    [ In NS2 UWE ] added small Christmas/Halloween decoration throughout the maps. And you can throw candy at each other on Halloween.
    That sounds real cool! Come to think of it, seasonal specials make more sense for a multiplayer game.

Though they still could throw in a set of red robes.

I appreciate your thoughts on having someone like Sinterklaas bring gifts and joy.

But oft times I think Krampus is the more apt spirit to invoke for the season. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of gifts and joy in my season.
    edited December 2017

People have been using "Merry Christmas" and "Happy holidays" interchangeably forever. It didn't become an issue until some people, in an effort to be polite and acknowledge that Hanukkah also existed, made a point of using the latter. For some reason that led to outrage in certain circles, and now we have people saying "Merry Christmas" like it's a threat and whining about "PC culture" like there's something wrong with being polite. Anyway, way to be petty.

Beyond that, let's talk about accuracy -

Even if you're Christian (and apparently closed-minded), you've got to admit that the "holiday season" includes Christmas and the New Year. That's two - count 'em - two holidays. 'Grats on finding a way to be even more petty!

And finally, let's remember that the holiday that we're discussing was originally Saturnalia. If the pagans aren't whining then you shouldn't either.

Happy Holidays!

Whining about PC culture, by calling it out for the bullshit that it is? Well now, you're missing the point entirely...
    PC culture is no longer about being polite, it might have started out as such in idea only. However even socially forced politeness and language policing are a bad idea and there always was the danger of it evolving into what we have now. Politeness is a form of respect you earn and common courtesy up to a point for initial encounters mostly.

However, lo and behold how PC culture has indeed been predictively hijacked and is now entirely based on language and behavior control through social pressure, smells kinda like religions. And do you really think I'm religious, just because I'm defending a magical person called Santa and him spreading joy to the world for kids? I'm not and I've got nothing against religious folks. But this is a perfect example of what PC culture is doing to us. I'm now forced to say stuff like that, apologizing for a view I do not hold, just because someone might misconstrued me as a religion hater. Except the person drawing that conclusion is at fault here, there is a reason we use the innocent until proven guilty defense in our courts. And I will even take it one step further, I see it as me insulting your intelligence simply by apologizing for it, as if assuming you're unable to draw that conclusion on your own as the logical choice.

BTW, we do have a name for new years eve... It's called, new years eve or heck let's get fancy and call it Sylvester, so that was jab was uncalled for...

So here's the point I was making... It is simply a bad idea having people rethink their language use for things they grow up with or having to constantly keep an eye on what and how we say things. I mean, if I want to say "merry Christmas", I will damn wel say that and not be forced into something else... I don't want to "mind my language", because there is some arbitrary chance of someone, somewhere getting offended. You take childish nonsense like that and put it with the rest of the children toys. Now what we should do is own that shit and say whatever festivity we damn well want to celebrate, for example "Happy Hanukkah" (is that what they say?) or as you want to say "Happy Holidays". I'll defend your right to say whatever you want as an utterance of celebration. But don't you dare come in here, telling me your "Happy Holidays" celebration slogan is better than mine. Now, I will definitely take a jab at it, because of it's dubious or even well-meaning origins. That is called satire and well deserved satire at that :tongue:

So, I just don't get offended by these one bit and neither should anyone else who is celebrating something else. The petty part, of which you're accusing me, actually comes from the idea, this is somehow an issue and imagining that people get offended by this. Without actually checking to see if they are offended. Hell and even if they get offended, that is entirely their own damn problem.

Offense it taken, not given and frankly my dear, feeling offended doesn't make someone correct!

Now here's something we could take away from this!

NEVER EVER think for other people and definitely don't take offense on behalf of others, just to make yourself look good. That shit will and has already turned into all the crappy policing we're currently seeing in our media, games, movies, internet and even politics. Groups who require our protection are of course excluded from this "thinking for them" like kids and people with mental conditions like dementia, parkinson. You know, people who have actual conditions or aren't mature enough to make their own decisions...

The only thing that PC culture has achieved is that people are now afraid to have proper discussions, because as soon as someone is offended, the discussion either stops or get's sidetracked into, "You're mean! No u!" territory... That is so damn unproductive and it can actually be dangerous where politics are concerned!

Oh this rant... Well crap, it was mostly about me being entirely against PC culture and the policing that lurks at it's core. This holiday is a very tiny part of it, but it is one of many fine examples of how it all started. And you just really ticked me off by spouting nonsense and trying to use the same shaming tactics, PC culture has thought us so well by calling people whiners and petty, automatically dismissing their points... I actually used "whiners" in the correct context, just sayin'

And I'm very open-minded or at least try to be as open-minded as possible, while taking responsibility for when I do fuck up. HOWEVER being open-minded does not mean accepting any old bullshit like PC culture, which has burrowed it's way into our society. It makes us unproductive and weak minded or rather afraid to speak our mind.

So, Merry Christmas everyone and a waaaaaay too soon preemptive Happy New Year, don't blow yourself up in them countries where you're allowed to have your own fireworks :tongue:
    edited December 2017
    Also on topic, a Christmas tree for your base with decorations is kinda a must have right? Perhaps craft-able, although it is already quite late for that option... Maybe to make it easier, get some of NS2 Christmas stuff in there if this is even an idea being considered. I mean, the models are rather universal in terms of Christmas, you can even test how easy it is to port between "Spark <-> Unity" :D
    edited December 2017
    And I'm very open-minded or at least try to be as open-minded as possible, while taking responsibility for when I do fuck up. HOWEVER being open-minded does not mean accepting any old bullshit like PC culture, which has burrowed it's way into our society. It makes us unproductive and weak minded or rather afraid to speak our mind.

It's interesting that you assumed, immediately and with no evidence whatsoever, that my use of the phrase "Happy holidays" had anything to do with political correctness. Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings, and Happy Holidays are all common statements this time of year, and predate "PC culture" by decades, yet you went straight there. Go figure...

Honestly, I don't understand the bitching. People are enduring social pressure to avoid saying Merry Christmas? Bullshit. No, they're not.

If you work in retail or a service industry you might be expected to use one of the non-specific seasonal platitudes, but that's got nothing to do with political correctness. That's a business decision based on the realization that many American consumers do not celebrate Christmas and that Christmas is not the only holiday this time of year. Sure, "Happy holidays" is a bit bland, but offensive? A sign that a dark, Orwellian future is nigh upon us? Please.

Anyway, if you don't work in one of those jobs there's no reason whatsoever not to use whatever holiday greeting you feel like. Almost nobody gives a damn. Just don't use Happy holidays. That one brings out the crazies.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited December 2017
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    I have way too much free time on my hands this holiday season... not sorry, though. :wink:

emfh8l3i5849.jpg

If, for some ungodly reason, anyone wants a big version of this... get it here.

This would make for some great Windows 10 desktop wallpaper at this time of year. However, there's this image in my head of a "ho ho ho" Cuddlefish with a beard... O_O
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited December 2017
    I want the Lantern Trees to have Red and Green glowing fruit that blinks.

Ho, Ho, Ho... BAH HUMBUG!!

CHERRY MIST-MASS !!

CHAPPY HAN-A-KA-SOLO !!

and KWAN-ZOO-TIGHT BLESSINGS...

UPON YOU ALL.
    (and to all a good fight)

B)

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited December 2017

Twas the night before Obraxmis, when all through the Seabase
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a Cuddlefish.
    The stockings were hung by the bioreactor with care,
    In hopes that @Obraxis soon would be there.

The stalkers were nestled all snug in their aquariums,
    While visions of peepers danced in their heads.
    And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
    Had just settled our reapers for a long winter’s nap.

When out on the plateau there arose such a clatter,
    I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
    Away to the window I flew like a flash,
    Tore out the builder and used up some glass.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen sand
    Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below.
    When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
    But a miniature cyclops, and eight tiny peepers.

With a little old driver, so lively @Obraxis.
    More rapid than Reapers his coursers they came,
    And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now, Hugh! now, Kalina! now, Charlie and Max!
    On, Cory! On, Brian! on, Michael and Oliver!
    To the top of the moonpool! to the top of the Corridor!
    Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
    When they meet with a reefback, mount to the sky.
    So up to the seabase-top the coursers they flew,
    With the sleigh full of Toys, and @Obraxis too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
    The prancing and pawing of each little Fin.
    As I drew in my builder, and was turning around,
    Down the chimney @Obraxis came with a bound.

He was dressed all in green, from his head to his foot,
    And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
    A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back,
    And he looked like a hoverfish, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
    His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
    His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
    And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
    And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
    He had a broad face and a little round belly,
    That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
    And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
    A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
    Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
    And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.
    And laying his finger aside of his nose,
    And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!

He sprang to his Cyclops, to his team gave a whistle,
    And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
    But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
    "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"