Altera Corp. urges players NOT to complete Subnautica

Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
It has come to our attention that Subnautica has recently come under attack by certain persons styling themselves as 'Players'

I am sure you are all fully aware that the true nature of Planet 4546B is as a computer simulation called 'Subnautica'. This of course has been created by the Precursors to design the Galaxy's very highest quality bio-tech, which is then sold on to responsible trans-galactic companies, like Alterra

Subnautica works by simulating evolutionary processes that in the real world could eventually 'naturally select' for DNA of the kind needed in Precursor bio-tech. Simulated DNA is then periodically sampled and analysed by 'patched-in' Precursor avatars. This kind of sampling is vital so as not to contaminate the Simulation using outside measurements (the observer paradox). Once back in the real world, the Precursors have the knowledge needed to reconstitute the DNA - so vital for the enterprises of Alterra.

As you know, when booted up Subnautica was initially loaded with avatars of creatures that had been scanned in the real-world galaxy. The occasional inclusion of sentient creatures is an interesting case. Of course humans must be loaded when the bio-tech under research is one concerning us directly (bio-weapons, planetary adaptations etc.) But human inclusion is often used accelerate the natural selection of other products too.

Why? All human characteristics are biological expressions 'in-interaction' with an environment. The most complex human characteristic is cognition. Human cognition produces rapid changes in an environment - not least through the natural expression of technology. Rapid changes in the Sim often occur especially fast when human avatars within are meddling with bio-tech themselves.

Cognition is best introduced to the sim by way of neural-patching of living humans, but of course equipped with false memories to explain their own presence to themselves there. Since this is especially hazardous, Alterra prides itself in suppling the most suitable 'recruits' (please direct all enquiries to our subsidiary Unknown Worlds)

Such is the value of the Precursor's bio-tech industry that industrial espionage has become an on-going challenge. Frequent attempts are made by competing companies to 'hack-in'. This is done by way of creating their own avatars and attempting to 'land' them on Planet 4546B. Usually these are effectively blocked by Subnautica's firewall. The firewall appears in within the Sim as the Precursor GUN defence array, and killing an intruding avatar within Sim usually has the considerable bonus of 'retiring' the hacker in real life.

It is vital then that - IN NO CURCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO DISARM THE PRECURSOR GUN FACILITY

Comments

• Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    No quite so funny as I first thought....
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    No quite so funny as I first thought....

No, no, it's really good.

Now that I know what this is, it's much better.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Skope wrote: »
    I mean, this is really well written. But...

...what are you talking about, mate?

I like it, it's like fusing Assassin's Creed with The Matrix... it makes you wonder what is real, and what is the illusion?

Harry Kim: "This is not reality. It's an illusion!"
    the Clown: "When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality." :open_mouth:
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Still better than the actual "story", if it can even be called that.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Anyway, in my twisted imagination the Degassi suvivors are Torgal Company hackers - still trapped in the Simulation somewhere.
    Oh yeah, and the Player is an Alterra agent sent in to get 'em (not such a goody after all)
    So for anyone who cares to follow me down to the bottom of this rabbit hole:

The bio-tech Subnautica is programmed to create is an (apparently) mildly psychoactive drug called Soma. This drug is the first of new line of "suspension of disbelief enhancers".

- Alterra wants it developed to enhance their entertainment industry.
    - Torgal Corporation wants it to, at least, better manipulate clients into signing contracts with them.
    However, Paul Torgal secretly has imperial ambitions and can see the advantages of dosing entire populations with it.
    - The Mongolians have a centuries old shamanistic tradition. They know that a properly trained mind could use a drug like this to achieve tangible magical practices in the 'real world' (they can do this because they realise the 'real world' is itself a simulation, of course)

The Degassi crew has gone 'off the radar' due to the actions Marguerit Maida. She has consumed a dose of Soma within Subnautica and has been able to make some changes to that world.

When the player eventually finds the Degassi survivors the game ending depends on just who he/she decides to help:
    - Aterra
    - The Torgals
    - The Mongolians

So ends your game of Subnautica 2
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    So for anyone who cares to follow me down to the bottom of this rabbit hole:

The bio-tech Subnautica is programmed to create is an (apparently) mildly psychoactive drug called Soma. This drug is the first of new line of "suspension of disbelief enhancers".

- Alterra wants it developed to enhance their entertainment industry.
    - Torgal Corporation wants it to, at least, better manipulate clients into signing contracts with them.
    However, Paul Torgal secretly has imperial ambitions and can see the advantages of dosing entire populations with it.
    - The Mongolians have a centuries old shamanistic tradition. They know that a properly trained mind could use a drug like this to achieve tangible magical practices in the 'real world' (they can do this because they realise the 'real world' is itself a simulation, of course)

The Degassi crew has gone 'off the radar' due to the actions Marguerit Maida. She has consumed a dose of Soma within Subnautica and has been able to make some changes to that world.

When the player eventually finds the Degassi survivors the game ending depends on just who he/she decides to help:
    - Aterra
    - The Torgals
    - The Mongolians

So ends your game of Subnautica 2

Oh, that's all Alterra wants Soma for, eh? How much did Alterra pay you to sell your soul and be their shill?

/s :lol:
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    [
    Oh, that's all Alterra wants Soma for, eh? How much did Alterra pay you to sell your soul and be their shill?

/s :lol:

Well, they have assured me that ample payment will soon be forthcoming. Meanwhile, they've been kind enough to allow me to sample one of their most cutting-edge products!