Experimental 51864+ will have...experimental...i/O optimizations. Please test.

2»

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    That's weird.
    Is it a BUG or some new fangled Dev experiment to test our reflexes?
    B)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Nvidia put out an updated driver (385.28) on 8/13 (Sunday).
    It might fix the problem, but I'm not on Experimental so I can't say for sure.
    B)

No it doesnt. We've made a work-around fix ourselves.

Yeah-heh, way to go @Obraxis and @TeamUWE! You guys manage to do what even the 'big fish' programmers can't get done. Thanks for keeping up with this issue and fixing the problem; now I can update to the latest video driver again. You guys ROCK! :blush:
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Best bet is to get an SSD and put your OS + Subnautica on it. I'm running a similar setup (i5-6600, HD 530, 16GB RAM, 2 TB WD spinny disk) - difference is, I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD with the OS and a few games on it. (Be sure to move the storage location for your download, documents, videos, pictures, and music to the spinny disk to save room on the SSD, the more room they have, the faster they are.)

I think you misunderstand me-- I'm fine with the way the game runs; the only thing I'm complaining about is the Seamoth's new handling (seriously, why does it do that??). Feedback from spinny HDs was requested though, so I gave it. I'm fine with some pop-in (except where Reapers are concerned, but that is extremely rare for me).

FWIW, the only reason I don't have an SSD (or a video card, for that matter) is because although I can afford the expense, I cannot justify the expense. (I'm waiting until I finish some writing, edit it into a publishable state, and make at least enough money to have some left over after buying both. By the time that happens, though, 1.0 will definitely be out, and possibly the expansion too.)

What's the change with the Seamoth?

I noticed it myself after the first optimization update on Experimental. When you piloted the Seamoth before August 2017, it felt "floaty" when you moved around, as if you were actually piloting the vehicle underwater. After the update that improved gaming performance, the Seamoth navigation was frustrating. As @baronvonsatan said, it felt like any tiny movement of the mouse while going in a direction caused the Seamoth to spazz out and go off on tangents. I had to constantly move my mouse around to re-adjust the heading of the Seamoth whenever I was navigating about. :(

However as of Experimental 52251, I've noticed the jerky mouse movements of the Seamoth are gone, and I no longer have to make minor corrections every 10 meters when piloting around. Buuut... apparently my savefile was slightly bugged from the previous Experimental update to the latest 52251. Now when I find either Quartz or Basalt Outcroppings, this entity appears which instead has merged into some mutant form of mineral. Behold... the Quasalt!
    And no before you ask, no it's not a Diamond (check the tooltip!) :tongue:
    1502938881-b05064494d88f636.jpg
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited August 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Best bet is to get an SSD and put your OS + Subnautica on it. I'm running a similar setup (i5-6600, HD 530, 16GB RAM, 2 TB WD spinny disk) - difference is, I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD with the OS and a few games on it. (Be sure to move the storage location for your download, documents, videos, pictures, and music to the spinny disk to save room on the SSD, the more room they have, the faster they are.)

I think you misunderstand me-- I'm fine with the way the game runs; the only thing I'm complaining about is the Seamoth's new handling (seriously, why does it do that??). Feedback from spinny HDs was requested though, so I gave it. I'm fine with some pop-in (except where Reapers are concerned, but that is extremely rare for me).

FWIW, the only reason I don't have an SSD (or a video card, for that matter) is because although I can afford the expense, I cannot justify the expense. (I'm waiting until I finish some writing, edit it into a publishable state, and make at least enough money to have some left over after buying both. By the time that happens, though, 1.0 will definitely be out, and possibly the expansion too.)

What's the change with the Seamoth?

I noticed it myself after the first optimization update on Experimental. When you piloted the Seamoth before August 2017, it felt "floaty" when you moved around, as if you were actually piloting the vehicle underwater. After the update that improved gaming performance, the Seamoth navigation was frustrating. As @baronvonsatan said, it felt like any tiny movement of the mouse while going in a direction caused the Seamoth to spazz out and go off on tangents. I had to constantly move my mouse around to re-adjust the heading of the Seamoth whenever I was navigating about. :(

However as of Experimental 52251, I've noticed the jerky mouse movements of the Seamoth are gone, and I no longer have to make minor corrections every 10 meters when piloting around. Buuut... apparently my savefile was slightly bugged from the previous Experimental update to the latest 52251. Now when I find either Quartz or Basalt Outcroppings, this entity appears which instead has merged into some mutant form of mineral. Behold... the Quasalt!
    And no before you ask, no it's not a Diamond (check the tooltip!) :tongue:
    1502938881-b05064494d88f636.jpg

O M G !!!

IT'S A BOWSER EGG !!!
    aw7jk3j864pa.png

B)
    Minor update here... I'm now running Experimental 52347 version, and I'm noticing more hitching and minor lag when swimming around the world now. :( Specifically when I swim around an area, I can see parts of the terrain that don't completely load properly (spiky featureless ground or 'holes' in the terrain) but will finally load when I stop for a second. Also related: sometimes I'll swim into an area where the ground looks normal, but it will be empty of fish, collectibles or doodads - only when I stop for a second will everything 'pop' into existence and run normally then.

I recently restarted a new savefile after having to deal with moving lockers and locker contents across bases - so I know it's nothing related to previous file contents. I also did finally upgrade to the newest version of nVidia drivers (385.28 Aug 3 2017) but as per Obraxis' previous post, the drivers shouldn't be the issue as UWE fixed the problem that nVidia caused. On the plus side, the UI wiping and artifact issue of before is no longer present - the game looks as great as always.

I'm not sure what could have changed in the last few updates, but I am slightly sad to see that the stellar performance the game had before has vanished. It's absolutely still playable, and I'm not really complaining... but it feels sad that I'm taking a step back in progress from the previous advances in performance boosts we just got. I'm sure UWE will keep hammering out the dents and keep things moving along properly. :blush:
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Minor update here... I'm now running Experimental 52347 version, and I'm noticing more hitching and minor lag when swimming around the world now. :( Specifically when I swim around an area, I can see parts of the terrain that don't completely load properly (spiky featureless ground or 'holes' in the terrain) but will finally load when I stop for a second. Also related: sometimes I'll swim into an area where the ground looks normal, but it will be empty of fish, collectibles or doodads - only when I stop for a second will everything 'pop' into existence and run normally then.

I recently restarted a new savefile after having to deal with moving lockers and locker contents across bases - so I know it's nothing related to previous file contents. I also did finally upgrade to the newest version of nVidia drivers (385.28 Aug 3 2017) but as per Obraxis' previous post, the drivers shouldn't be the issue as UWE fixed the problem that nVidia caused. On the plus side, the UI wiping and artifact issue of before is no longer present - the game looks as great as always.

I'm not sure what could have changed in the last few updates, but I am slightly sad to see that the stellar performance the game had before has vanished. It's absolutely still playable, and I'm not really complaining... but it feels sad that I'm taking a step back in progress from the previous advances in performance boosts we just got. I'm sure UWE will keep hammering out the dents and keep things moving along properly. :blush:

Performance in Experimental will go up and down as we develop the game. The stable releases are what we need to measure from, as that's the tested baseline. We use experimental at specific times to test new code's effects on the game. Generally it will get better over time.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Just popping in to say thanks for fixing the Seamoth's handling! It drives normally again.
  • LAIGLEDEFEULAIGLEDEFEU VANNES Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230111Members
    edited November 2017
    bonjour !!
    je viens vous demandé si il est possible de mettre la carte graphique a jour ou de resté encore en 382.33 ???

Hello !!
    I just asked you if it is possible to update the graphics card or stayed in 382.33 ???
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    bonjour !!
    je viens vous demandé si il est possible de mettre la carte graphique a jour ou de resté encore en 382.33 ???

Hello !!
    I just asked you if it is possible to update the graphics card or stayed in 382.33 ???

Maybe you should ask the GPU's manufacturer?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    He's probably talking about that nVidia texture bug.

@LAIGLEDEFEU Yes you can update, UWE worked around their driver bug.