"Error loading SNUnmanagedData\Build18" after getting stuck on "Preloading Base" for > half an hour

2»

Comments

• DarkexxodDarkexxod Join Date: 2017-07-29 Member: 232126Members
    Every single one of you is a god-send; just got the new CPU installed (paste came in 2 days early), and lo and behold, SN loads without a hitch! Thank you all a thousand times!
  • spacecore214spacecore214 Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232271Members
    at least your game starts
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    at least your game starts

Does your at least put something into the output_log.txt? If so, post both that and the output of dxdiag
    edited August 2017
    So, I have been looking into a better cooler, because... well, why not, really. The CPU still isn't getting that hot, but I figure if i can make it better I might as well. Problem there is, up is about the only direction I have ample space in. I've attached a few pictures of Frankenstein's Monster, as I lovingly address this thing; any recommendations on something that would fit?
    4cff8a51beb54de8f44e03c7cd523218.jpg
    abaf747c9e8eb4c200dd86294bfb4bde.jpg

@spacecore214 0x is right, you know, they can't help you if you don't give them anything to work with.
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Before changing anything (it'll be hard to do with that box as it's custom built), be sure you need to. Try leaving prime95 running for a couple hours and if the CPU doesn't throttle from heat you're fine (optionally choose to ignore throttling due to AVX). Same with the video card - try leaving furmark running for a couple hours and see if it throttles or turns into a jet engine. The top clearance of the video card is where I'd expect a problem as it vents from there.
    @Belgarel Who said it was custom built? The PC was bought as a whole thing, and I've since added and replaced things.

Haven't done anything with prime95 yet, but speedfan says the CPU still isn't getting very hot. Despite that, the fan aimed at the heat sink is going pretty much constantly, and it's fairly loud. The GPU I've never noticed a problem with.
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Custom as in the case and cooling is HP's own design rather than a standard midtower. HP 6000 or 6005, right? It's set up more like a rackmount where you pull air hard from the front and depend on that airflow for all the cooling rather than have multiple fans spread out on things that get hot. For example, they're not using a fan attached to the CPU heatsink and they've got the plates oriented vertically to use the case airflow rather than an attached fan. Such cases tend not to be very friendly to cooling that vents towards the case door or requires fans, like generic heatsinks that vent up and that video card that vents from the top, which is why I was recommending not changing that heatsink unless you're really sure you have to, and monitoring the video card's temperature to be sure it's ok like that.
    Darkexxod wrote: »
    Despite that, the fan aimed at the heat sink is going pretty much constantly, and it's fairly loud.

That's pretty much how it goes with that design. All the air the box uses comes from one fan and vent that has to work hard.
    Oh, that's what you mean. Ok. Yeah, it's 6005 Compaq Pro, though what it's a professional of is a mystery to me. Would I be able to just get a better fan for it, then?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Measure the clearance that you could fit a heatsink / cooler combo in (how much space do you have in that slot, start from the center and measure to the closest edge, then double that, as the package will be centered).

Once you know that you can figure out what kind of cooler you can put in by reading the dimensions (you don't have to worry about the height as the lid's off).
    Sorry for disappearing for like a month, now that everything's working I... kinda forgot about this thread. I'm here again figuring someone might want some kind of resolution to this, or something.

I couldn't find a cooling solution that would fit in my case (there's not enough horizontal space, even with limitless vertical), but I spoke to a more local friend of mine who has experience working with computers. According to him, the highest I've noted my CPU reaching via Speedfan isn't anything to worry about (I believe my exact question was "what's the 'oh shit' threshold?"). Subnautica runs perfectly fine now, and I've noticed improvements across the board, as you predicted. Thank you all once again for helping me with this issue; if I ever find another problem, I certainly know who to come to!