"Error loading SNUnmanagedData\Build18" after getting stuck on "Preloading Base" for > half an hour

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
Received the following from @Darkexxod via PM since he can't start his own thread yet:
I would have made this a forum post, but I can't do so without commenting on something else for some reason, so I hope this method is ok. I, like many others, have been getting the "Error loading SNUnmanagedData\Build18" issue. In my specific instance, the game starts up fine, begins loading when I start a new game just fine, but gets caught on "Preloading Base"; the game will continue loading in this section for a little over half an hour, where it will then switch to displaying the error and "loading" until I close the game.
I've looked through much of the forums for possible solutions, and have already tried most of the things you've suggested of others. So far, I have tried: chkdsk, Steam validation, restarting the computer, deleting and reacquiring the Build18 folder, running as administrator, and reinstalling the entire game. Nothing has worked thus far, and I was wondering if you could offer any further help. I've attached the game's output log and a dxdiag, and can provide more information as needed.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
-Darkexxod
dxdiag.txt | output_log.txt

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited July 2017
    @Darkexxod did you perhaps have an old Subnautica install and had to re-install Windows and Steam, and re-imported? Might have gotten the permissions borked, (I mean you did re-install but permissions can be funny things) - try the following fix (found on the Steam support pages here):
    Repair Library Folder

The Steam library folder contains all of your installed games on disk. These folders need to be writable by all users in order to update properly. Sometimes these user permissions break and need to be refreshed.

Navigate to your Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders -> Right click on folder -> Repair Folder

Your Steam Library in this case should be F:\Steam\steamapps -- post back what happens / doesn't happen / or if the previous folder isn't mentioned in your Steam Libraries (I think if that was the case it wouldn't show up?)

Reason I'm guessing this (output_log.txt):
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Error: Fatal! Could not mount world, dir = 'SNUnmanagedData\Build18'

• DarkexxodDarkexxod Join Date: 2017-07-29 Member: 232126Members
    Nope, Steam picked up the folder just fine. Attached a screenshot of the window that pops up, stays up for a few seconds, then closes. Nothing else seems to happen, and ~45 minutes of loading later, same error.repair.png
    Darkexxod wrote: »
    Nope, Steam picked up the folder just fine. Attached a screenshot of the window that pops up, stays up for a few seconds, then closes. Nothing else seems to happen, and ~45 minutes of loading later, same error.repair.png

Hnnng. @nesrak1 -- am I missing something? It looks like something is going wrong either reading from Build18 or writing it to the saved game location, leading me to think permissions. Any ideas?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Could be cache files with garbage data - they're stored in the build folder. Either that or a bad savegame file. You could test it by trying to start a new game and see if the world loads cleanly.
    edited July 2017
    @Darkexxod
    If you start a new game, does it work?

If it does, please follow the second link from the second line in my signature regarding clearing your cache directories (for your the save you're trying to load, of course).

@all else: after some discussion, @scifiwriterguy suggested the above. I must be having an off day, someone had to suggest that I suggest the solution would be clearing the cache (if that is indeed the problem, we shall see but I'm betting it is, makes sense).
    @0x6A7232 I don't have any games saved, I've been starting a new one each time.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited July 2017
    I followed the stacktrace and it comes down to the fact that
    System.Environment.ProcessorCount

is returning 0. There are only so many things I can ask you to try, so here's one:
    lmrxzrp.png
    Go into control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> environment variables -> and under system variables, what is your number of processors variable?
    @nesrak1 1. SN recognizes that when it starts up, because it always gives me the little warning box.
    @nesrak1 1. SN recognizes that when it starts up, because it always gives me the little warning box.

He means check and see what your environment variable is set to. Win + the Pause | Break key (Break key if they're separate keys IIRC) will bring that first box up for you. It's above PgUp & PgDn, which is above your right arrow key. If you have a laptop, you might have to also use the Fn key. Once you've got the window on the left open, click "Environment Variables" to get the window on the right open. Scroll down to "number of processors"
    @0x6A7232 Yeah, that's where I got the number from, I was confirming that SN recognizes it as well. Phrasing was a little misleading, sorry. ouo;;
    Sempron 145 is a single-core processor, @nesrak1 would it be safe for him to just hit "Edit" and put 1 in there?
    edited July 2017
    It divides this number by 2 so 1/2 as an integer becomes 0 since it rounds down. For now, try setting that number to 2 and see what happens.
    @nesrak1 Um... what file am I editing? I assume it's not an output log or the variable on the computer itself.
    edited July 2017
    Isn't there a way to set environment variables on a per-application basis? Looks like you'd need a cmd script using the SET command. nesrak1, do you think you could cook up one for him? I think something like the following:
    setlocal
    set NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
    start "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Steam\Subnautica.url"
    exit

Resources I used: https://superuser.com/questions/544402/can-i-change-the-environment-on-a-per-process-basis-on-windows-like-on-unix
    edited July 2017
    If you want to do it in a batch file, since it's a system variable the set command won't work, so you'd have to
    1. put this in the steam folder
    2. run this batch file by right clicking and running as admin
    Something like this:
    @echo off
    setx NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 2 /m
    steam.exe -applaunch 264710
    echo Press any key after game has closed
    pause > nul
    setx NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 1 /m

edited July 2017
    Isn't that what setlocal does? I should have put a pause in there, true, but:
    setlocal /?
    Begins localization of environment changes in a batch file. Environment
    changes made after SETLOCAL has been issued are local to the batch file.
    ENDLOCAL must be issued to restore the previous settings. When the end
    of a batch script is reached, an implied ENDLOCAL is executed for any
    outstanding SETLOCAL commands issued by that batch script.
    I guess if you wanted to you could use setlocal, but that doesn't allow you to modify system variables which are different from regular environment variables.
    @nesrak1 No change, but I suspect I might have put the batch in the wrong folder. Most of Steam's own files are on my C drive, while some of the more... heavy, for lack of a better term, games are on the F drive. Would it need to go in the Steam folder on the C drive, then?
    edited July 2017
    Where the steam executable is, most likely on the c drive,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

I'm having weird problems with running the batch file with admin, so I'd try this instead:
    @echo off
    setx NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 2 /m
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 264710
    echo Press any key after game has closed
    pause > nul
    setx NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 1 /m

@nesrak1 Nope, this hasn't worked either, it's caught on "Preloading Base" again; once the error hits I'll upload a new output log in case the batch changed anything there, but in the meantime, any more ideas?
    edited August 2017
    Hopefully the cmd window doesn't say this does it? (The first line error)
    EHF51Ih.png
    Otherwise if that error isn't there, I'll just wait on your output_log
    It did say that the first time I tried, but that was because I forgot to run as admin; second time with administrator said "Success: Specified value was saved."

This is my first time using pastebin, hopefully this works
    https://pastebin.com/F3gpK241
    In theory that should've worked. I'm not on a computer that can run subnautica atm but running a vs test and checking that value it returned 2.
    Wouldn't be the first time my computer had a problem evade solutions. In fact, it has the habit of finding unique, unsolvable problems. Hopefully the latter can be disproved.
    If you ever wanted an excuse to upgrade your CPU to the max your system can handle, you've got one now.

Looks like the max for that system is the Phenom II X4 B95, which you can get for about $30 USD (including shipping) on eBay. Here's one from a good seller (100% positive feedback out of 4,361 reviews) http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-B95-HDXB95WFK4DGI-3-0-GHz-Quad-Core-Socket-AM3-CPU-Processor-/232157866966

You'll need thermal paste, I'd recommend Arctic Silver 5 ($5) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-5-AS5-3-5G-Premium-Thermal-Paste-Grease-Compound-3-5-g-grams-SALE-/322591230704 DO NOT use more than a thin layer across the top of the CPU - you should completely cover it, but you should also be able to almost read the text stamped on the CPU through the layer. It's better to scrape some back off and start over than leave a big wad of paste that will run down the sides of the CPU and get in the electrical connections. Just start with a small drop and spread it around, and you'll be fine.

If you decided to go through with that, before doing the upgrade, be sure to update your BIOS (select BIOS, get the "786G6 BIOS" "1.17 Rev. A" released May 15, 2012) just to be sure any problems with newer CPUs have been addressed (it's a lot easier than putting the new CPU in, getting a black screen, putting the old CPU in, then updating the BIOS, then putting the new CPU in again).

Also if you want to do that and need any help, just ask. I'm thinking it will fix your Subnautica issue, but, beyond that, you should definitely get a significant performance boost system-wide. (Odds are, if we get Subnautica working, it's gonna have performance issues on a single-core budget CPU).
    Hmm... I don't know much about computer hardware, to be honest, so I'm a little wary of upgrading something as major as the CPU. Installing the new graphics card and second hard drive were fairly tricky for me, though adding RAM was as simple as people said it would be (would you believe this thing only came with 2GB ram?). And I'm not striving for ultra graphics 60 fps gameplay, just something that's playable. I appreciate the suggestion and product links, and I'll definitely keep this in mind; if it comes to it I'll give it a shot, but I'd like to see if there's any way to get it working as-is first.
    Hmm... I don't know much about computer hardware, to be honest, so I'm a little wary of upgrading something as major as the CPU. Installing the new graphics card and second hard drive were fairly tricky for me, though adding RAM was as simple as people said it would be (would you believe this thing only came with 2GB ram?). And I'm not striving for ultra graphics 60 fps gameplay, just something that's playable. I appreciate the suggestion and product links, and I'll definitely keep this in mind; if it comes to it I'll give it a shot, but I'd like to see if there's any way to get it working as-is first.

It's not hard. Just take your time and watch some videos on it. Here's one for your specific socket, by LinusTechTips: (even if you don't want to right now, watch it just to get an idea,
    anyways) AMD AM2 AM2+ AM3 Athlon 64 Phenom II CPU Installation Tutorial Guide Walkthrough Linus Tech Tips
    Yeah, I did a little bit of research on the process myself, and it does seem fairly simple, though having a video for my specific socket will certainly help. After seeing how easy the process looked, I... may have already caved and ordered the things you linked. Both should get here in around a week, but I had to wait that long for my ram as well, so it's no big deal.

In retrospect, the only really difficult part of the upgrades I've already made was getting the graphics card in - it was much bigger than I had expected and didn't fit in the case without getting a little creative. As it stands the damn thing is still taller than the case, so the lid won't fit on anymore xD
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, I did a little bit of research on the process myself, and it does seem fairly simple, though having a video for my specific socket will certainly help. After seeing how easy the process looked, I... may have already caved and ordered the things you linked. Both should get here in around a week, but I had to wait that long for my ram as well, so it's no big deal.

In retrospect, the only really difficult part of the upgrades I've already made was getting the graphics card in - it was much bigger than I had expected and didn't fit in the case without getting a little creative. As it stands the damn thing is still taller than the case, so the lid won't fit on anymore xD

I forgot to link a video on how to replace the thermal paste & heatsink:

If you're interested in a better cooling solution (since you can't put the lid on anyways), I have some ideas there as well (the cooler the CPU is the faster it can run, for longer at a time, before throttling back -- ideally, it will never throttle). Check out the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 and the ARCTIC FREEZER I32 in the reviews here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html ($23.89 for the first, and if you want less noise, $27.99 for the second). You might be able to find those on eBay for slightly cheaper, just look at the number of ratings the seller has, as well as the % (97%+ to be safe with thousands of ratings) -- also, !watch the shipping cost! and add it to the total when comparing.

Also, if you want, you can update your BIOS immediately, instead of waiting (one less thing to do when the parts arrive). If you run into any trouble, ask. Also, if the process freezes, don't reset the PC unless it's been locked up for like half an hour or something. If you burn a CD or DVD, be sure you verify the image is correct (if it's an ISO, your burning software should have this option; if not, let me know and I'll link you to one)
    Heck, if you want a better case... xD I love these cases, here they are, smaller to larger:
    Fractal Design Define Nano, No window ($50) : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352061
    Fractal Design Define Nano, Window ($55): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352062
    Fractal Design Define Mini C, No Window ($65): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352064
    Fractal Design Define Mini C, Window ($70): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352065
    Fractal Design Define S, No Window ($70): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352054
    Fractal Design Define S, No Window ($80): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352055 <-- I have this one

But then you'd need a power supply, probably... eh... here's one:
    EVGA Bronze 80 430W PSU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015

Probably better to just stick with what you've got for now. xD But if you're looking for parts, check Tom's hardware (Google "Tom's Hardware best <component x> 2017) and check prices (price between merchants including their price history) on https://pcpartpicker.com. If you're looking to compare performance check out http://www.userbenchmark.com (eg, 1050 Ti vs RX 560)

Heck, you can even build your own PC on pcpartpicker.com and share the part list easily by choosing the BBCode [BB] link up at the top as the share option, then copy+paste. Result: (my Desktop build)
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $177.98)
    CPU Cooler: Silverstone - TD03-E 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $86.99)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste ($14.39 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $118.99)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $74.89)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $79.99)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $69.99)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($137.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: AOC - e2752Vh 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (Purchased For $149.99)
    Keyboard: Thermaltake - CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $26.19)
    Mouse: SteelSeries - Rival 300 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $39.99)
    Headphones: Logitech - G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Channel Headset ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1162.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-01 16:49 EDT-0400