Is bigger better?

VexsteVexste Lost in the depths Join Date: 2017-05-23 Member: 230715Members
Ok, so please be gentle with me, I'm new hear and don't know a lot.
Anyway, I know people have had this idea in the past, but I felt it really deserved its own discussion. I feel Subnautica needs something.... bigger. The Sea Emperor is great and all but, it's just not enough for me.
To me, there are three things that make the ocean scary:
It's a vast open space where despite that fact, visibility is terrible. (At least underwater)
The "fish tank effect" where a fish will grow to fit it's environment. (Which may or may not be true)
And the fact that humans weren't designed/adapted to life underwater.
Now Subnautica has don't a pretty good job on the visual range, but the other parts.... well I feel they could do better. The game needs a creature that could swallow the Cyclops like a horse pill. It needs something that can instill the proper sense of dread. When you see a Sea Emperor, something deep in your brain is still telling you, "with a big enough stick... I could kill that." I want a something half or even a fourth the length of the Aurora, that, when you see it, all you get from that little part of your brain is the sound of it $#!+ing it's pants.
Now I'm no game designer, so this could have ramifications on frame rate or some such, and if that's the case, please tell me.
Also, the game needs something FAST. Something that's truly hard to escape from, that can take advantage of the limited visibility of the ocean and the low maneuverability of a human underwater. Everything I've seen in Subnautica is either slow, or you can see it coming from a good way off. Essentially, I want whatever left that skeleton in the Lost River...... Please?
Now. I should state for the record that I really enjoy Subnautica, and am not trying to criticize the creators. I'm a huge supporter of creative freedom. I'm simply saying that, to me, Subnautica is a good game, but it has the potential to be a GREAT game.
Sorry for the minor wall of text. Have a marble melon.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    A lot of the sizes don't come across right because of the FOV in the game. So, have a look:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    3ldul17yz6fz.png
    YIIXD0Y.jpg
    latest?cb=20160416163759&path-prefix=ru
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    ^ What he said. The creatures in this game are colossal, but the way that the player's camera works makes everything look really small. Maybe they should work on that...
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Look apparently outside of partners with particular tastes it's less the size of the boat as it is the motion of the-

Oh, um, you weren't talking about... Er, nevermind.
  • VexsteVexste Lost in the depths Join Date: 2017-05-23 Member: 230715Members
    Well. I must say, Ox6A7232, that those pictures were quite educational. And in fact, I feel they help prove my point. As shown in your picture, the main body of the Sea Emperor is about the same size as the Cyclops. Where-as the Cyclops can relatively easily fit inside the MOUTH of the skeleton.
    So in short, thank you for responding, I can't tell you how happy that made me. And I DEFINITELY want them to put a LIVING version of whatever left that skeleton into the game.

P.S. OMG, Kyman201, you made me laugh SO HARD!
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    [quote="Vexste;c-2353260". And I DEFINITELY want them to put a LIVING version of whatever left that skeleton into the game.[/quote]

Perhaps they could make it the void guardian?
  • zimmymzimmym Australia Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225102Members
    Vexste wrote: »
    Ok, so please be gentle with me, I'm new hear and don't know a lot.
    Anyway, I know people have had this idea in the past, but I felt it really deserved its own discussion. I feel Subnautica needs something.... bigger. The Sea Emperor is great and all but, it's just not enough for me.
    To me, there are three things that make the ocean scary:
    It's a vast open space where despite that fact, visibility is terrible. (At least underwater)
    The "fish tank effect" where a fish will grow to fit it's environment. (Which may or may not be true)
    And the fact that humans weren't designed/adapted to life underwater.
    Now Subnautica has don't a pretty good job on the visual range, but the other parts.... well I feel they could do better. The game needs a creature that could swallow the Cyclops like a horse pill. It needs something that can instill the proper sense of dread. When you see a Sea Emperor, something deep in your brain is still telling you, "with a big enough stick... I could kill that." I want a something half or even a fourth the length of the Aurora, that, when you see it, all you get from that little part of your brain is the sound of it $#!+ing it's pants.
    Now I'm no game designer, so this could have ramifications on frame rate or some such, and if that's the case, please tell me.
    Also, the game needs something FAST. Something that's truly hard to escape from, that can take advantage of the limited visibility of the ocean and the low maneuverability of a human underwater. Everything I've seen in Subnautica is either slow, or you can see it coming from a good way off. Essentially, I want whatever left that skeleton in the Lost River...... Please?
    Now. I should state for the record that I really enjoy Subnautica, and am not trying to criticize the creators. I'm a huge supporter of creative freedom. I'm simply saying that, to me, Subnautica is a good game, but it has the potential to be a GREAT game.
    Sorry for the minor wall of text. Have a marble melon.

You and I think very alike. I've just always wanted a bigger fish. Why? Because it's completely awesome and who knows, maybe I want to s**t myself. You don't own me.
    I think that this should be a serious focus for the devs. This is Subnautica, a survival in an alien ocean. We want to see what it has to offer us, and what separates it from other survivals.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @nesrak1 Could you mod a Sea Dragon with a mouth as big as the one in the Lost River skeletal remains and post a video clip?
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    edited May 2017
    So this is what you want. Spoiler free.
    75MWrsTr.jpg
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    I've seen this picture before but I just now realized
    Is that a harpoon o-o

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    Yep, also that pic cracks me up every time. It's like the big dude is going:

"Yo, what's up!? You following me boi and what are you gonna do with that...?"
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited May 2017
    Omg that is a harpoon! QUICK GET RID IF IT BEFORE SOME TRIES TO USE IT FOR AN IDEA SAYING ADD A HARPOON SINCE IT IS IN THIS PICTURE
    *the following account has been banned for caps spam*
  • McBooMcBoo Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230513Members
    edited May 2017
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    Perhaps they could make it the void guardian?

It would be cool if they did something that kills you and destroys your vessel instantly when it attacks. The game Spore has something similar. If you swim too far from shore a huge sea monster breaches the surface, swallowing you whole in the process.

Maybe add a little warning like some massive fin or a wall of giant scales crossing in front of the Cyclops just at the edge of your lights to give you an idea of the scale of the creature. You get two passes then a bump that does significant damage and if you don't head back...

HI-GOTCHA!

They could even cut to a video from outside the Cyclops so that you can see the creature in all it's terrible glory.

• VexsteVexste Lost in the depths Join Date: 2017-05-23 Member: 230715Members
    edited May 2017
    I love ALL these ideas!... well except for the harpoon. Despite the breaking of my suspension of disbelief that springs from being able to fabricate anything EXCEPT a way to defend yourself, I find that the absence of weapons is part of what give Subnautica it's charm.
  • McBooMcBoo Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230513Members
    edited June 2017
    Maybe giant tentacles that reach up from the blackness, slowly encircle the Cyclops and then pull it down into the depths in the blink of an eye? You never see the creature or even hear anything outside of the skin of the Cyclops creaking as the creature tightens its' grip before pulling you to your death.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    McBoo wrote: »
    Maybe giant tentacles that reach out from the blackness, slowly encircle the Cyclops and then pull it down into the depths in the blink of an eye? You never see the creature or even hear anything outside of the skin of the Cyclops creaking as the creature tightens its' grip before pulling you to your death.

"And now you're dead. I told you that you should turn around, but noooooooo-" -The PDA AI, probably
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    Having ghost leviathan guarding the void, far enough to not aggro when not in the void.
    If anyone still pass beyond them then a gigantic creature should attack the player.
    The tentacles idea from @McBoo is awesome but facing a creature that can swallow the cyclops is great too.
  • HenningHenning Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230815Members
    edited June 2017
    It won't make any hugh (no pun intended) difference before the perception of scale and depth has been improved. First person view is tricky that way. But, something the size of Aurora... yeah, that would probably fix that ;)
  • MuovipulloMuovipullo Join Date: 2017-03-24 Member: 229158Members
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    Having ghost leviathan guarding the void, far enough to not aggro when not in the void.
    If anyone still pass beyond them then a gigantic creature should attack the player.
    The tentacles idea from @McBoo is awesome but facing a creature that can swallow the cyclops is great too.

I agree 100%
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    edited June 2017
    I can kill anything with a big enough stick. Especially if that stick is nuclear powered, weighs thousands of tons, spends most of it's time in space, and is covered in dakka.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    I would like to see the void explorable as a pre-endgame type thing