Energy in Subnautica

gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
In another post, I did a quick calculation on what one energy unit might be equivalent to in Subnautica.

To summarize the calculations, per the PDA description each ion crystal supposedly can store the equivalent energy of a small nuclear detonation. An ion power cell requires two ion crystals and stores 1000 energy units. Using an extremely conservative estimate of 1 kiloton, we get one energy unit having the equivalent energy of 2 tons of TNT, or 2.3 MWh.

A standard battery holds 20 energy units, or 46 MWh of energy. The flashlight loses one percent battery about every 8 seconds, for a total runtime of 13.3 minutes. Assuming the planet has close to a 24 hour day (the player's hunger/thirst needs seem to support this), which in the accelerated timescale lasts 35 minutes of real time (correct me if I'm wrong), the flashlight lasts about 9 hours of game time. This means that the flashlight is putting out 5 MW of constant power. For comparison, the strongest light beam in the world (the Luxor Sky Beam) uses 0.315 MW of power. This would be a weapons grade light that could easily cook fish in a sizeable cone in front of the player (and would permanently blind them from the first use animation, not to mention the danger reflections would pose).

A sonar pulse uses 10 energy units. This is the equivalent energy to 20 tons of TNT. Depth charges in WW2 used about 200 pounds of TNT. This would be quite deadly to anything nearby, including yourself.

According to the Subnautica wiki, the Cyclops can travel 4450m on 1200 energy units. This means that it uses 3.7 energy units per meter, or about 8.5 MWh of energy per meter. Maximum speed is 7.4 m/s, which means the Cyclops will completely drain its batteries in about 600s, for an average constant energy use of 16.5 GW. According to Wolfram Alpha, this is 1.4 times the energy rate as the Space Shuttle at launch (main engines plus boosters). Despite this incredible energy usage, the Cyclops can only manage a top speed of 14.4 knots. This means that the Cyclops engine is incredibly inefficient. Not to mention the energy usage of the lighting.

A solar panel produces 25 energy units per minute, or 3.45 GW. To have the solar energy density to produce this kind of power, you would need to be much, much closer to a star. Close enough that you wouldn't be on an ocean planet anymore, much less a habitable one. On earth, we get about 1kW per square meter on a perfect sunny day near the equator. Solar panels in Subnautica look like they have an area of about 0.5 m^2. At most they could produce 500W when placed on the surface. Underwater, the available sunlight drops off very rapidly.

The only way this might make even the slightest bit of sense is if we assume that the PDA description is complete hyperbole to the point of being absurd, or the fabricator was extremely inefficient at utilizing the ion crystals and was only able to capture a very small fraction of their potential in the ion power cells and batteries.

I understand that games often take liberties with reality for gameplay and simplicity reasons, but it does bother me when they do so to this extreme and throw any notion of reality completely out the window and use impressive sounding descriptions of things ("stores the energy of a small nuclear detonation") without actually thinking about what that means in the game universe.

Comments

• MasaGeirevaMasaGeireva Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 225015Members
    I think the fabricator not being able to utilize the full potential of an alien battery makes the most reasonable explanation. As for the hyperbole... most certainly it is hyperbole. Unless Alterra nukes are incredibly weaker then normal, real life nukes.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    First and foremost a big kudos for your calculations.

I think you nailed it with the "description" part of the ION crystals. Maybe they should rewrite it with something still impressive but not Nuke-impressive or extend it, like you suggested, that we can only hope to harness a fraction of the stored energy with our in comparison simple technology OR they could rework the whole energy balance. :wink:

My bet would be on the first or second solution.

I think the more you know the more must video game logic and its necessities seem a bit dull. I think and hope all knowledge and logic aside, that you still have a good time playing Subnautica. Because in the end that is all that matters. If a game fails to entertain you despite it's edges and little flaws then there's something wrong. As long as we talk about a game which theme interests you...not all players like all kind of games of course. :wink:
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited May 2017
    @ThePassionateGamer

Thanks for the compliment. I get a bit nerdy at times with physics calculations (wolfram alpha makes them relatively simple with all the built in constants and unit conversions).

Editing the description would fix a lot of this issue. Most people don't have any real comprehension of how much energy nuclear weapons contain so I can understand the devs overlooking this and thinking they were being clever with the description. Hopefully they'll notice this thread and rethink some of these things.

I wouldn't mind a full energy rebalance (maybe later I'll do some analysis of the relative energy usage of different systems), but given the stage of development I don't see anything more than a few tweaks happening before 1.0.

I still do have fun playing Subnautica and other games, but I do cringe when I see certain liberties taken. The worst offender is sci-fi tech that somehow manages to be significantly worse than what we have IRL without any real reason or explanation. That and internal inconsistencies.

My hope is that we'll get decent mod support after release so I can tweak the game closer to my liking if needed.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Good, of work out the size of the planet using the gravitational acceleration from 100 meters in the air to sea level
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    I tend to just..., you know..., Enjoy playing a video game..., rather then completely destroy the illusion of FUN by over thinking its processes.

One could thoroughly drive oneself crazy with trying to constantly use logic to justify science fiction/fantasy video games...

Or at the very least, eventually end up going back to just reading a good book.

B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    Besides, if we take the science out of science fiction, what're we left with?

8568230e7e1bf774973446e132281607f192a2438ec95ae0054232f7c7dc235e.jpg

...so, Voltron?
    ... more like Power Rangers.

B)
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Or star wars, or the later episodes of DS9, or WH40K......

On topic-ish, have I mentioned that a stock cyclops is worse in every metric than a U-boat from WWI? Yes, that's right, not even the second world war, but the first. Back when photographs were still a weird new thing, a lot of ships still ran on cylinder-expansion steam engines, and penicillin was still just bread mold, they had better submarines than they have in subnautica. Because logic.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    This was more fun to read than it should have been.
    sayerulz wrote: »

On topic-ish, have I mentioned that a stock cyclops is worse in every metric than a U-boat from WWI? Yes, that's right, not even the second world war, but the first. Back when photographs were still a weird new thing, a lot of ships still ran on cylinder-expansion steam engines, and penicillin was still just bread mold, they had better submarines than they have in subnautica. Because logic.

That's not entirely true about the Cyclops. According to wikipedia, WWI U-boats are slower (9.5 knots for the U-boat, 17.3 at flank speed for the Cyclops) and the Cyclops can dive MUCH deeper (the WWI U-boats could only go down 50m).

However, the Cyclops can only manage about 4.5km with standard power cells, but the U-boat could travel 150km underwater on batteries (which is pretty impressive considering the archaic battery technology that was available 100 years ago).

Your point is still valid though, the Cyclops is pretty terrible compared to real life subs despite the supposedly advanced technology in the game.
    edited May 2017
    It's almost like, They don't really want us to actually use the thing...

... ... ... ???

Naaaww, that couldn't be it.
    B)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The cyclops is a gimmick I rarely use.
    I use it sometimes when its the sub which, currently for me, can dive the deepest.
    But most often im just better of grabbing the seamoth.

The cyclops power usage is beyond madness, its visibility is utter lacking, and it takes far to long to get any new power cells going. I dont wanna travel with a enormous load of powercells in stock.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »

That's not entirely true about the Cyclops. According to wikipedia, WWI U-boats are slower (9.5 knots for the U-boat, 17.3 at flank speed for the Cyclops) and the Cyclops can dive MUCH deeper (the WWI U-boats could only go down 50m).

However, the Cyclops can only manage about 4.5km with standard power cells, but the U-boat could travel 150km underwater on batteries (which is pretty impressive considering the archaic battery technology that was available 100 years ago).

Your point is still valid though, the Cyclops is pretty terrible compared to real life subs despite the supposedly advanced technology in the game.

This was before the new update.

Doing some more researching, I found that most of them seem to have pretty much the same speed as the cyclops flank speed when surfaced. Since the cyclops moves at the exact same speed wether surfaced or submerged, it's fair to compare the cyclops to the speed of a surfaced U-boat, and so they are roughly equal in speed.

Where depth is concerned, the only available information on those wikipedia articles says test depth, not
    max depth. Doing some more research, it looks like maximum depth was closer to 80 meters. That still has the cyclops winning, but not by quite so much (If I recall correctly, default crush depth used to be 150 meters, no idea if that's been changed).

And finally, I am 100% certain that no WW1 U-boat was ever lost to a shark attack.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »

Doing some more researching, I found that most of them seem to have pretty much the same speed as the cyclops flank speed when surfaced. Since the cyclops moves at the exact same speed wether surfaced or submerged, it's fair to compare the cyclops to the speed of a surfaced U-boat, and so they are roughly equal in speed.

Where depth is concerned, the only available information on those wikipedia articles says test depth, not
    max depth. Doing some more research, it looks like maximum depth was closer to 80 meters. That still has the cyclops winning, but not by quite so much (If I recall correctly, default crush depth used to be 150 meters, no idea if that's been changed).

And finally, I am 100% certain that no WW1 U-boat was ever lost to a shark attack.

Agreed. I'd be happy if they made the Cyclops either only vulnerable to larger creatures, or be able to scare away smaller creatures with the horn.
    edited May 2017

I saw the surface speed listed in the wikipedia article and intentionally didn't list it since we're comparing them as submarines, so the submerged speed made more sense to compare.

The Cyclops crush depth without any upgrades is 500m, which is still much more than 80m.

There's no dispute on the point about shark attacks. I'm not fond of the current Cyclops damage system either.

To help keep this thread on topic, we can continue the Cyclops vs real world subs discussion here: Cyclops vs Real World Submarines
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I tend to just..., you know..., Enjoy playing a video game..., rather then completely destroy the illusion of FUN by over thinking its processes.

One could thoroughly drive oneself crazy with trying to constantly use logic to justify science fiction/fantasy video games...

Or at the very least, eventually end up going back to just reading a good book.

B)

Do you know that for some these calculations are part of the fun and they can still have fun with the game? And do you know that just because they enjoy things you don't they're not becessarily worse than you?

The more you know
    edited May 2017
    Do you know that I was doing the exact same thing with Star Trek when it first came out...,

... back probably before most folks around here were born.

And that my whole post was a joke, that the "...Just Reading A Good Book" ending, was supposed to indicate.

"The More You Know..."

... the less ya pay attention.

B)