What To Do With the Aurora?

AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron. Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members Posts: 186 Advanced user
Alterra's ship, the Aurora, is MUCH bigger than we can explore. Why must we be limited to one area? I want some expansion, how about you? (By the way, yes I mean make it almost fully searchable)
================Anomaly================

Subnautic Memer Inbound!

Anomaly Detected on the Radar!

I'm a nerd who likes subnautica. Fight me.

What To Do With the Aurora? 47 votes

Expand the Aurora, but make it take a long time to traverse.
57%
JarinCalarand77cdaragornWheeljackDrownedOutSkopeCasual_PlayerDaveyNYphantomfinchCaptainFearlessthe_marinerAviator1945bradgillapscifiwriterguyBossblasterShuttleBugprototype464Jackegamer1000kTrooperTK_0421 27 votes
Expand the Aurora and leave it as open as it is now.
23%
TheLordEternalkingkumagunmetal563Rezca0x6A7232Hammy2211OjakokkoWiirlaksupertiger2340joshmiller83comanandrei1993 11 votes
Keep the Aurora the same.
19%
LordDerpRainstormGimboidAvimimusSnailsAttackmatijas_06CerebeusVoxelTheSwiftStrike 9 votes

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 992 Advanced user
    Not entirely sure what the difference between the first two options are; but I think it'd be cool to see more to explore; even if it's just for extended universe stuff (Lore and all that) that doesn't necessarily impact the story. Like, they mentioned carrying all terrain vehicles; it'd be awesome to see what other vehicles might have been on it.

Exploring the whole thing would be impossible, given its size. But I'd like to see some more of it down the road, perhaps after 1.0.
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

CaptainFearless
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron. Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members Posts: 186 Advanced user
    Rezca wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what the difference between the first two options are; but I think it'd be cool to see more to explore; even if it's just for extended universe stuff (Lore and all that) that doesn't necessarily impact the story. Like, they mentioned carrying all terrain vehicles; it'd be awesome to see what other vehicles might have been on it.

Exploring the whole thing would be impossible, given its size. But I'd like to see some more of it down the road, perhaps after 1.0.
    The difference is that the option you chose means it takes barley any backtrack and few restrictions. The other option was to make it take longer and more detouring.

Subnautic Memer Inbound!

Rezca
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members Posts: 1,055 Advanced user
    Always wanted to explore the banger under the bridge.
    The election is comming back, and with it the GCSC.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 15,059 Advanced user
    ~1.5Km in length, there must be more to that giant Suzuki...

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

0x6A7232
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members Posts: 97 Advanced user
    A bigger Aurora would be neat. (More content is always neat.) Maybe if what we have now is whats first accessible as you go through, But once you get the Exosuit you can open new entrances leading deeper within. Heck, Lets use the claw arms to pick up rubble and move it away.
    (Also, I may have misunderstood the wording of the poll. Whoops!)
    scifiwriterguy
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members Posts: 337 Advanced user
    Maybe this is part of what the devs will do in the expansion pack?
    Beanboy Delivery
    You may also know me as Tipoff Giggots
    scifiwriterguy0x6A7232Tarkannenadel_50
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members Posts: 449 Advanced user
    Maybe this is part of what the devs will do in the expansion pack?

Possible DLC?
    We secure. We contain. We protect.
    — The Administrator
    0x6A7232CaptainFearlessadel_50
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members Posts: 763 Advanced user
    While large chunks of it would probably be inaccessible from crash and/or explosion damage, the explorable area of the Aurora has always felt a little...constrained. I'm hoping along Fearless's lines that it might appear in an expansion. :)
    The poor mesmer. Beautiful fish. Too bad it's named after a jerk.
    0x6A7232
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron. Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members Posts: 186 Advanced user
    I want to give a suggestion: freecam into the aurora after the explosion and look at the space used.

Subnautic Memer Inbound!

0x6A7232
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 4,256 Advanced user
    I want to give a suggestion: freecam into the aurora after the explosion and look at the space used.

This. If you haven't done it, do so now.
    UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server <- swing on by! | <a href="http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147726/p1" rel="nofollow" class="bbcode_url"">Subnautica mods <</span>- Hey look! Mods! | Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
    I know, I know, I'm bumping this from a loooooong time ago.

But I've got some new ideas.

Lets start:

After the Aurora explodes, a large panel on the side slides off. Maybe it happens during the Drive Core Re-Enable. It doesn't matter.

After you exit the Aurora, you notice a new giant hole in the side of the Aurora. It's mostly full of fire and stuff, but the panel made a convenient pathway up to the Aurora. It allows you to walk up into a large, destroyed room. Rubble is everywhere, but weaving your way through the fire, you can get into a door leading to a hall.

From here, i'll post another comment of a Map of my idea.

Subnautic Memer Inbound!

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members Posts: 425 Advanced user
    What do you do with a problem named Aurora...
    The snowmoth. Wonderful sub. Pity it only works in cold areas.
    0x6A7232JackeDaveyNY
  • CappYCappY China Join Date: 2018-01-13 Member: 235007Members Posts: 4 Fully active user
    Not feasible for 1.0, but I always thought it would be neat if the game started on the Aurora before the crash. Getting to meet some of the crew, seeing some tech in action through a window, or even making a coffee would all add meaning and purpose to going back to explore the wreck or look for survivors in pods.
    It could also remind the player that there's a home to go back to. Imagine getting a radio message from your family before crap hits the fan and later going back to find your bunk and retrieve a photo... the possibilities are endless.

Heck, if done well, with enough content, I think it could make a good first expansion.
    JackeJarinRainstorm
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members Posts: 292 Advanced user
    let the fires go out x days after you fix the black matter drive
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members Posts: 248 Advanced user
    What To Do With the Aurora?
    Turn the Aurora into a theme park and water ride. An Alterra's original entertainment, fun for the whole family. With a free cure for your new disease.
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64bit,
    Republic of Gamers Asus Rampage Formula Motherboard (old but holding strong)
    CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 logical processors) OC 3.0GHz
    UPGRADED to 8 GB ram for Subnautica
    UPGRADED to GTX 960 2GB DDR5 RAM for Subnautica
    Cooler master Case 850si, 1000w Corsair PSU
    kingkumaGourmet_Guy
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members Posts: 556 Advanced user
    edited January 15
    I never thought of this before: Why are the fires still burning when you get to the Aurora in the first place?

By the game clock/calendar, it almost certainly is weeks or months since the explosion and even more since the crash. What's the source of fuel to keep the fires burning? This isn't some underground landfile, coal seam, or petroleum well. And it certainly isn't volcanic in nature at least on the Aurora.

It's totally a gameplay mechanism.
    Post edited by Jacke on
    The 'e' is silent. BRING BACK "Great job not dying." !!!
  • TheSwiftStrikeTheSwiftStrike Join Date: 2018-01-08 Member: 234894Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    Keep the Aurora the same.
    If you expand the Aurora what would that offer? I guess you could put more fragments in there, but people have gone far in the game with the fragments at hand. They should only expand it if they add new tools or vehicles.
    A Subnautica player that get scared too often by the reaper leviathan.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 4,256 Advanced user
    Jacke wrote: »
    I never thought of this before: Why are the fires still burning when you get to the Aurora in the first place?

By the game clock/calendar, it almost certainly is weeks or months since the explosion and even more since the crash. What's the source of fuel to keep the fires burning? This isn't some underground landfile, coal seam, or petroleum well. And it certainly isn't volcanic in nature at least on the Aurora.

It's totally a gameplay mechanism.

Because the skin of the Aurora is coated in an energy-absorbing material which is still (at least partially) working -- no that's not official, it's just a shout out for Downward Spiral.
    UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server <- swing on by! | <a href="http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147726/p1" rel="nofollow" class="bbcode_url"">Subnautica mods <</span>- Hey look! Mods! | Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members Posts: 154 Advanced user
    What to do with the Aurora?
    Nuke it from orbit as you're leaving the planet.
    SkopekingkumaGourmet_Guy
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members Posts: 988 Advanced user
    What to do with the Aurora?
    Nuke it from orbit as you're leaving the planet.

jpd1w2n269gr.gif
    Deceased leader of the UCR
    Subnautica Veteran (yet still scared of the Reaper Leviathan)
    Maker of positive comments
    Author of Subnautica fan stories (Dawning has finally begun!)
    I still have no idea what's going on
    Gourmet_Guy
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Venus Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members Posts: 584 Advanced user
    Nuke the Aurora!? HOW COULD YOU?!?!

THINK OF THE CAT POSTERS!!!!!!!!!! YOU MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -TerranHawk
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members Posts: 76 Advanced user
    I think with a ship so big, there is still more room for improving. It should take longer to traverse, maybe even multiple trips. Room should also be put in appropriate spots, because it makes no sense to have living quarters right next to the hyperdrive, or drive core, or quantum tunneler, or whatever that that thing is called. I originally thought the living quarters were for engineering staff, but the Captain has quarters in there. The Captains quarters should be near the bridge. Logic.
    NUKE UGANDAN KNUCLES AND OTHER CANCEROUS MEMES! (FROM ORBIT)
    kingkuma