What To Do With the Aurora?

AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
Alterra's ship, the Aurora, is MUCH bigger than we can explore. Why must we be limited to one area? I want some expansion, how about you? (By the way, yes I mean make it almost fully searchable)

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Not entirely sure what the difference between the first two options are; but I think it'd be cool to see more to explore; even if it's just for extended universe stuff (Lore and all that) that doesn't necessarily impact the story. Like, they mentioned carrying all terrain vehicles; it'd be awesome to see what other vehicles might have been on it.

Exploring the whole thing would be impossible, given its size. But I'd like to see some more of it down the road, perhaps after 1.0.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what the difference between the first two options are; but I think it'd be cool to see more to explore; even if it's just for extended universe stuff (Lore and all that) that doesn't necessarily impact the story. Like, they mentioned carrying all terrain vehicles; it'd be awesome to see what other vehicles might have been on it.

Exploring the whole thing would be impossible, given its size. But I'd like to see some more of it down the road, perhaps after 1.0.
    The difference is that the option you chose means it takes barley any backtrack and few restrictions. The other option was to make it take longer and more detouring.

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Always wanted to explore the banger under the bridge.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ~1.5Km in length, there must be more to that giant Suzuki...
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    A bigger Aurora would be neat. (More content is always neat.) Maybe if what we have now is whats first accessible as you go through, But once you get the Exosuit you can open new entrances leading deeper within. Heck, Lets use the claw arms to pick up rubble and move it away.
    (Also, I may have misunderstood the wording of the poll. Whoops!)
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Maybe this is part of what the devs will do in the expansion pack?
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Maybe this is part of what the devs will do in the expansion pack?

Possible DLC?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    While large chunks of it would probably be inaccessible from crash and/or explosion damage, the explorable area of the Aurora has always felt a little...constrained. I'm hoping along Fearless's lines that it might appear in an expansion. :)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I want to give a suggestion: freecam into the aurora after the explosion and look at the space used.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I want to give a suggestion: freecam into the aurora after the explosion and look at the space used.

This. If you haven't done it, do so now.
    I know, I know, I'm bumping this from a loooooong time ago.

But I've got some new ideas.

Lets start:

After the Aurora explodes, a large panel on the side slides off. Maybe it happens during the Drive Core Re-Enable. It doesn't matter.

After you exit the Aurora, you notice a new giant hole in the side of the Aurora. It's mostly full of fire and stuff, but the panel made a convenient pathway up to the Aurora. It allows you to walk up into a large, destroyed room. Rubble is everywhere, but weaving your way through the fire, you can get into a door leading to a hall.

From here, i'll post another comment of a Map of my idea.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    What do you do with a problem named Aurora...
  • CappYCappY China Join Date: 2018-01-13 Member: 235007Members
    Not feasible for 1.0, but I always thought it would be neat if the game started on the Aurora before the crash. Getting to meet some of the crew, seeing some tech in action through a window, or even making a coffee would all add meaning and purpose to going back to explore the wreck or look for survivors in pods.
    It could also remind the player that there's a home to go back to. Imagine getting a radio message from your family before crap hits the fan and later going back to find your bunk and retrieve a photo... the possibilities are endless.

Heck, if done well, with enough content, I think it could make a good first expansion.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    let the fires go out x days after you fix the black matter drive
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    What To Do With the Aurora?
    Turn the Aurora into a theme park and water ride. An Alterra's original entertainment, fun for the whole family. With a free cure for your new disease.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited January 2018
    I never thought of this before: Why are the fires still burning when you get to the Aurora in the first place?

By the game clock/calendar, it almost certainly is weeks or months since the explosion and even more since the crash. What's the source of fuel to keep the fires burning? This isn't some underground landfile, coal seam, or petroleum well. And it certainly isn't volcanic in nature at least on the Aurora.

It's totally a gameplay mechanism.
  • TheSwiftStrikeTheSwiftStrike Join Date: 2018-01-08 Member: 234894Members
    If you expand the Aurora what would that offer? I guess you could put more fragments in there, but people have gone far in the game with the fragments at hand. They should only expand it if they add new tools or vehicles.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    I never thought of this before: Why are the fires still burning when you get to the Aurora in the first place?

By the game clock/calendar, it almost certainly is weeks or months since the explosion and even more since the crash. What's the source of fuel to keep the fires burning? This isn't some underground landfile, coal seam, or petroleum well. And it certainly isn't volcanic in nature at least on the Aurora.

It's totally a gameplay mechanism.

Because the skin of the Aurora is coated in an energy-absorbing material which is still (at least partially) working -- no that's not official, it's just a shout out for Downward Spiral.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    What to do with the Aurora?
    Nuke it from orbit as you're leaving the planet.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    What to do with the Aurora?
    Nuke it from orbit as you're leaving the planet.

jpd1w2n269gr.gif
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Nuke the Aurora!? HOW COULD YOU?!?!

THINK OF THE CAT POSTERS!!!!!!!!!! YOU MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    I think with a ship so big, there is still more room for improving. It should take longer to traverse, maybe even multiple trips. Room should also be put in appropriate spots, because it makes no sense to have living quarters right next to the hyperdrive, or drive core, or quantum tunneler, or whatever that that thing is called. I originally thought the living quarters were for engineering staff, but the Captain has quarters in there. The Captains quarters should be near the bridge. Logic.