Why Are Old Sea Bases Rusty?

AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members
I Dont know if any body payed attention in school but. Titanium does not oxidize in water or chlorine. are the old sea bases made of steel? Just wondering if any body knows why and no hate. but yes i realize this is a game but it needs to apply these facts to the game. Feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks!

Comments

• AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members
    @phantomfinch Yes thats the only thing i can think now xD
  • AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members
    Perhaps there are iron particulates in the water that have formed a shell covering the bases?
    Or maybe it was left behind as the waste products of bacterial colonies living on the titanium?
    Then again, There could just be traces of iron in the degassi bases as they used the materials of their ship to build them if i recall.

There that was genius that actually fixes everything in my head good job!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Biofilm is your buddy, alright. :)

There are few materials on which biofilm cannot form, and when it does, it opens the door for colonization by everything from bacteria to barnacles. (The red paint you see below the waterline on many ships isn't there for decor; it's antifouling paint which inhibits the development of biofilm and the subsequent flora and fauna which will screw up the ship's fuel economy.)

An active seabase probably keeps a light electrical current running through the skin to disrupt the development of biofilm, but once the power's dead for a few weeks, the hull could easily be colonized. Give those seabases another few years and most of them will probably be barely-recognizable reefs. :)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Fish pee...

:*

Gasopod farts...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Just how long have we've been unconscious though and not found by them other "survivors"? While bobbing around in plain sight of the Aurora...

Something doesn't quite add up here39.gif
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Just how long have we've been unconscious though and not found by them other "survivors"? While bobbing around in plain sight of the Aurora...

DEADLY Gasopod Farts ...

:s
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

DEADLY Gasopod Farts ...

:s

I think that goes without saying, their flatulence is stuff of legends :D
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited March 2017

I figured that being unconscious was what kept you alive. While you were quietly lying in the pod gently bleeding from the head, the hunter-killers were homing in on all the stronger, conscious mental signatures. Ripping holes in their pods and killing them.

Then, once they had killed every conscious human, they missed the one unconscious guy and shut down until the next incident wakes them up again.

Then, you wake up and only have to deal with the background defenses. Which is a pretty good deal for you.
    A pretty good deal apart from losing everyone you know and love :worried:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    A pretty good deal apart from losing everyone you know and love :worried:

You could have been a friendless loser on the ship. (which the stereotypical janitor is.)
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    edited March 2017
    If he had friends on the ship I would have thought he would have been with at least 1 in his pod.
    As to why he was not ripped from his pod, could it be the fact it was in the "Safe Shallows" and not in a normal hunting ground for whatever ripped the other pods apart?

Seems we have wandered a bit OT
    edited March 2017
    But something out there knows that there is still a lone survivor.
    It's talked about in one of the communiqués.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    We technically don't know whats in this water so........
    The lone wanderer has a buddy it seems? The lone swimmer...

But that would explain why no one came to rescue him in that obvious escape pod bobbing on the water, oh it's Jan Itor, no one likes him, just let him snooze :D
  • winerdarwinerdar Join Date: 2017-02-22 Member: 228141Members
    I Dont know if any body payed attention in school but. Titanium does not oxidize in water or chlorine. are the old sea bases made of steel? Just wondering if any body knows why and no hate. but yes i realize this is a game but it needs to apply these facts to the game. Feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks!

calwju51ww6h.jpg
    winerdar wrote: »

calwju51ww6h.jpg

a96f8b0ca7674eee400ed0efe707f3d1.jpg

B)

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members

calwju51ww6h.jpg

a96f8b0ca7674eee400ed0efe707f3d1.jpg

B)

edited March 2017
    We sure told them, now let's get back to enjoying the "rusty conversation" :tongue:
    Im totally a nerd and im proud of it xD
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members

As titanium is used in deep sea because it doesn't rust, we have these possibilities:
    • Overgrown wasn't enough to make the bases look old. Rust on titanium might be stupid, but serves its optical purpose.
    • Too much radiating ion crystals near the bases corroding everything. But the devs forgot to place the ion crystals at the bases.
    • Precursors are jealous. No one should match the beauty of their bases. They send warpers to downgrade other bases.
    edited March 2017
    zetachron wrote: »

As titanium is used in deep sea because it doesn't rust, we have these possibilities:
    • Overgrown wasn't enough to make the bases look old. Rust on titanium might be stupid, but serves its optical purpose.
    • Too much radiating ion crystals near the bases corroding everything. But the devs forgot to place the ion crystals at the bases.
    • Precursors are jealous. No one should match the beauty of their bases. They send warpers to downgrade other bases.

God only knows what is in the assorted Alien Fish Pee, perhaps on this planet it manages to break down Titanium in some manner. (or even is some kind of metal corroding acid)

Maybe even the combination of the alien flora and fauna detritus is what is causing the reaction.

It's not all that farfetched.
    B)

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Titanium DOES rust, it just does very slowly. In 100,000 years (not a typo), the titanium in your laptop will finally begin to corrode.
    edited March 2017
    Im totally a nerd and im proud of it xD

Fair enough, but can you...

kingkuma wrote: »
    Titanium DOES rust, it just does very slowly. In 100,000 years (not a typo), the titanium in your laptop will finally begin to corrode.

But can it run Crysis...
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

True. Except titanium rust - AKA titanium dioxide - is one of the whitest substances known to science. If anything, those seabases should look cleaner.

I'm sticking with biofilms. (No pun.)

calwju51ww6h.jpg

Okay, you got us. We're nerds. Since you disapprove of us so much, I would suggest not associating with nerds or nerd-spawned things - you know, things like medicine, computers, communications other than your voice, construction materials, electronics, electricity overall, agriculture, domestic animals...you know...nerdy stuff.

Gonna make running Subnautica interesting. ;)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Titanium rust is what causes its corrosion resistant properties. Also, Titanium oxides are not reddish in color. However, putting Titanium in the Active Lava Zone will cause corrosion to occur. A form of bacteria like the Carar would be a reasonable explanation for why the abandoned bases look like they are rusted. There is also the starfishes in the abandoned seabases that could cause corrosive effects on Titanium that looks like rust.