[BUG]INVISIBLE BARRIERS ON "GUN ISLAND" PREVENT PROGRESS[44744]

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
KK, so I have just been to "Gun Island" and I am unable to access any of the caves, either above ground or below sea level, due to what appear to be invisible barriers. When I approach a cave I seem to rise in the air as if I am climbing an invisible rock, and I am unable to progress further. I also see cave crawlers seemingly walking up into the air, so it affects them too.

I found a purple alien artefact on the ground in one of the underwater caves but I could not get near enough to it to pick it up, again due to some invisible barrier. I tried to explore the underwater cave and guess what? Yep, invisible barrier.

I have re-Christened this game "Sub-Hydra". In mythology a hydra was a monster who grew two new heads for every one you cut off. The devs seem to introduce two or three new bugs for every one they "fix" in this game. :disappointed:

@Squeal_Like_A_Pig

Comments

• Terik92Terik92 Spain Join Date: 2015-02-05 Member: 201219Members
    I can confirm this. I was looking for Crash Powder and I couldn't reach the nests because of the "barriers". After a Crash, that couldn't get out of its nest, exploded, the terrain opened and I could finally reach the powder.

Conclusion: The terrain voxeel has become invisible in several points of the map.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I note that I also cannot pick up resources or smash limestone etc that are on the mountains near "Gun Island".

Devs, I think this should be classed as a major bug and needs fixing before you release the next stable update.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    that happens in the experimental branch of the game but not in the stable build, at least thats my experience of it. it'll get fixed in the following updates i bet and be fixed before the next big update of February ... at least i hope
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I wonder if @ant_fio has run across this bug yet.
  • PonderPonPonPonderPonPon Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228024Members
    I'm also having these issues on experimental build Feb-2017 44811. I found a cave with an invisible wall in the safe shallows at -192, -28, 0 and I have found several resources that could not be picked up either by having an invisible bubble around them not letting me get close enough or by not having a pick up prompt no matter my distance or the angle I looked at them.

Several different things such as lithium, magnetite, quartz and uraninite as well as limestone/sandstone outcrops, red table coral and acid mushrooms are what I have found so far with these issues.

I have only looked around in the Safe Shallows, Mountains/Mountain Island and Grand Reef areas and the problems are in all of them, so I'm going to assume the other areas will also have these problems.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Right now until its fixed its probably better to go for the Stable build if the goal is to do a regular playthru. cuz its impossible to go around normally in the Shallow more specifically, with this affecting almost all biome if not all of them
    edited February 2017
    I am trying so hard not to lose patience with the devs. Now I cannot access the Alien Prison because of the invisible barrier bug that seems to be rife throughout the game. I have two choices: 1) go back to stable build with it's awful duplicated wrecks and lags, or 2) stick with experimental and not able to progress any further.

I see no acknowledgement of this gaming breaking bug in the Trello map (please, somebody point it out if it is there. I see on the checkins page that the devs are wasting time making "new sayings for the Cyclops" or fixing typos, yet no work on the invisible barrier bug.

Feeling really urinated off right now. Grrrrrr :s

@Squeal_Like_A_Pig @any_dev_that_gives_two_hoots
    Myrm wrote: »
    the devs are wasting time making "new sayings for the Cyclops" or fixing typos, yet no work on the invisible barrier bug.

Have you ever seen a voice actor try to code? Or a modeler? They don't do code. Those are code bugs, and the programmers need to work on them. If your transmission mechanic is up to his ears in a problem that is preventing your car from driving, would you like the rest of the crew to twiddle their thumbs instead of fixing your turn signal relay and heater blower? Unless one expert is going to get in the way of or hamper the work of another in some way, it makes more sense for everyone to continue doing what they do best. This is why they're working on the Phantom Leviathan. The modelers had some time and the rest of the team was busy with other stuff, so they could work on it for possible use later, to occupy their time.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a voice actor try to code? Or a modeler? They don't do code. Those are code bugs, and the programmers need to work on them. If your transmission mechanic is up to his ears in a problem that is preventing your car from driving, would you like the rest of the crew to twiddle their thumbs instead of fixing your turn signal relay and heater blower? Unless one expert is going to get in the way of or hamper the work of another in some way, it makes more sense for everyone to continue doing what they do best. This is why they're working on the Phantom Leviathan. The modelers had some time and the rest of the team was busy with other stuff, so they could work on it for possible use later, to occupy their time.

I just would like to see the game-breaking bug fixed, or at least an acknowledgement from the devs; "Hi guys, yes we are aware of this game-breaking bug. We are working on it, I promise!" would be nice.

This is my urinated off self speaking right now. Yes, I know different devs have different roles but for flips sake lets see acknowledgement of this bug and not "Ooo, look the Cyclops now sings the theme song to Sesame Street!" :p:D

I just would like to see the game-breaking bug fixed, or at least an acknowledgement from the devs; "Hi guys, yes we are aware of this game-breaking bug. We are working on it, I promise!" would be nice.

This is my urinated off self speaking right now. Yes, I know different devs have different roles but for flips sake lets see acknowledgement of this bug and not "Ooo, look the Cyclops now sings the theme song to Sesame Street!" :p:D

They probably have devs that are good at PR. Problem is, if you're good at PR, you are also probably good at things like grammar and spelling. So you're going to be tasked with fixing the dialog and / or coming up with new dialog. (And perhaps if your voice is decent, dubbing voiceovers.) You can always page @Obraxis but he seems to be very busy lately.
    edited February 2017
    They probably have devs that are good at PR. Problem is, if you're good at PR, you are also probably good at things like grammar and spelling. So you're going to be tasked with fixing the dialog and / or coming up with new dialog. (And perhaps if your voice is decent, dubbing voiceovers.) You can always page @Obraxis but he seems to be very busy lately.

I know. I'm just talking through my frustration, that's all. I know the devs work hard, it's evident from their Trello and Checkins pages. It's just that this game seems, of late, to becoming more and more broken. It's a shame as I love playing this game. I'll calm myself down by playing Osiris.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    hey, everyone... bug is everywhere, its oversimplifying collision on geometry from what I can tell. we need to wait this one out until its re-optimized
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    hey, everyone... bug is everywhere, its oversimplifying collision on geometry from what I can tell. we need to wait this one out until its re-optimized

Yes. I see lots of people on the F8 feedback page reporting it.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    I found way too many instances around the world, couldn't get into the lava castle, was that bad
    From what i gather they're currently trying something which is to prevent stuff from going thru the floors 'n walls, more specifically the larger things like the reaper, sea dragon and the like. I dunno how that works, it seems theyre trying to put invisible barriers everywhere to prevent them from going thru i guess

Experimental is where they try things. Since its a given that things dont always go as planned its a given that it often dont work on the first try. Lets all be patient, let them work on this and give them time to do this right.

We'll all be happy that that the Reapers dont go thru the land anymore once thats done :smiley:
    Thought I'd try and get a small drone camera past the invisible barrier that is blocking the entrance to the cave in which the Alien Thermal Plant is located, but unfortunately it too can't breach the barrier. So now I am stuck here without being able to progress any further. I believe we have a stable update being released this week. Let's hope the devs fix it for that. Not holding my breath though.
    Thought I'd try and get a small drone camera past the invisible barrier that is blocking the entrance to the cave in which the Alien Thermal Plant is located, but unfortunately it too can't breach the barrier. So now I am stuck here without being able to progress any further. I believe we have a stable update being released this week. Let's hope the devs fix it for that. Not holding my breath though.

The stable update might not include any of that. Stable could be based on a previous revision, if the changes in experimental right now are not ready for stable. Or they might push stable back a few days to get it working right.
    The stable update might not include any of that. Stable could be based on a previous revision, if the changes in experimental right now are not ready for stable. Or they might push stable back a few days to get it working right.

Well, then they need to pull their fingers out. It's a game-breaking bug that is preventing people from progressing. In many areas we can't access caves, complexes such as the Alien Thermal Plant, and in many areas we cannot pick up resources, all due, it appears, to invisible barriers. It's no good updating a broken game if you're not going to fix it.

We will see what happens. Hopefully the devs are reading this and somebody in their team will motivate them to fix it. :smile:
    Hopefully the devs are reading this and somebody in their team will motivate them to fix it. :smile:

Highly doubtful. However, since fixing bugs in the game is part of their job and the bug has been reported, thus making them aware of it, and they are professionals, doing their job will motivate them to fix it. (Sorry if that came off a little snippy.)
    Hopefully the devs are reading this and somebody in their team will motivate them to fix it. :smile:

Highly doubtful. However, since fixing bugs in the game is part of their job and the bug has been reported, thus making them aware of it, and they are professionals, doing their job will motivate them to fix it. (Sorry if that came off a little snippy.)

True, but sometimes you see the same bug occurring over multiple stable updates and you do ask yourself is anybody listening? I know they are but it does get frustrating. :)
    edited February 2017
    From the point of view of a coder, there's different things you can spend your time on: hammering out new things, or fixing things, that you know how to do and can accomplish, or make progression accomplishing, right now. Then there's things that are on the back burner. You don't know what's causing the bugs, or, you don't know how to fix it. Do you choose to twiddle your thumbs for hours with the coder's equivalent of writer's block, trying to figure out how to fix bugs, or do you implement 5 of the new features that are on the "must implement before next update" list? Especially considering the clock is ever ticking towards release, and you know you've got at least an entire month dedicated to bug squashing before v1.0?

I can't speak for the devs, but I can paint possible scenarios. Here, have an informative read (there's 43 answers, be sure to peruse at least the first few).

EDIT: Just for a "simple" example:

• TheMerricatTheMerricat St. Louis, MO Join Date: 2017-02-02 Member: 227541Members
    This isn't a bug that is occurring in multiple stable updates, it's a bug that just showed up late last week.

And the bugs that are occurring in multiple stable updates are apparently sufficiently complex that they don't have a quick way of fixing them or haven't found the root cause yet. Hence things like this bug which as others have suggested, might have been an attempt to keep stuff from clipping through the map.

I realize you are speaking from the depths of your love for the game, but you are rapidly devolving into just bitching about the dev team.

As a reminder, this isn't a AAA game, it does not have a hundred coders sitting behind it with a company worth billions funding it.

At last check, there are a total of 20 employees working for Unknown Worlds Entertainment. They aren't going to have instant response times, especially if the person who can fix something is tied up trying to meet some other milestone in the game and wants to finish that before going back to troubleshoot something.

That's why we aren't pushed to use the unstable branch for our 'real' games in the first place, because there is no guarantee that the game will even be playable at times.

Maybe it's time for you to just let it go and play something else for a little while, let them have time to fix the game and give you time to chill over this.
    edited February 2017
    I realize you are speaking from the depths of your love for the game, but you are rapidly devolving into just bitching about the dev team.

Hey, I am quite entitled to state my opinions. If I want to moan about a game-breaking bug then I will. Just because a game is great (which it is) it doesn't mean you have to suck up to the devs.

Hopefully it will get fixed quickly. This isn't a little bug that doesn't really matter, it's a huge bug that really is affecting the progression and playability of the game.

It takes a lot of work and play hours to get to the stage where you can explore the Alien Thermal Plant. When you finally reach it only to discover a bug is preventing you from progressing any further then, yes, people will get upset and are right to do so. I am sure the devs are thick-skinned enough to accept criticism. What I imagine is what they don't find helpful is when fan-boys are too scared to say anything negative. The devs are not made of glass; they're not going to break into pieces when somebody expresses a negative opinion. So, if I do find bits I am unhappy with then yes I will complain. :)
  • TheMerricatTheMerricat St. Louis, MO Join Date: 2017-02-02 Member: 227541Members
    It takes zero hours to get to the point where you can explore the Alien Thermal Plant if that's all you care about, you enable the dev console and type freecam. If you don't want to fly there, you can probably even warp there if you know the coordinates, hell it might even have a named location already.

Look, I GET being frustrated that you can't play the game 'for real', it wasn't just you. Everyone playing on experimental this week was basically kept at a stand still (and that was especially frustrating now that the scanner room has had it's range dramatic increased and could finally be played with as something useful), I spent hours trying to get at all those sandstone chunks that I could see on my hud finally.

But there is a difference between pointing out something is broken and spending the rest of the thread bitching about the fact that it hasn't been fixed yet and complaining that the game keeps getting more and more broken when playing the version of the game that is explicitly intended to be where they try out new stuff that might break things.
    It takes zero hours to get to the point where you can explore the Alien Thermal Plant if that's all you care about,

BS!!! Clearly somebody who has no idea what they are talking about. Perhaps you use cheat modes to get that far, but I don't. Regardless of how long it takes you to get there, it took me a great many hours of play to reach that far, and that's why I got frustrated about not being able to get any further. Perhaps you're better at the game than I am. Well good for you.

All I care about? Grow up! I love this game and have put a great deal of time into it through the various updates since I first started playing it. I am trying to bring this to the attention of the devs, and to find ways around it. So when I try different things to get around the bug and it doesn't work the I will keep putting my findings here. For example; trying to use a drone to see if it can get past the barrier. Perhaps something I do or say will help the devs to fix this.

If you are not adult enough to allow me to say what I wish to say, then please do not read this thread anymore.

Thank you.

Myrm, my first computer was a ZX81 Sinclair. I wrote my first program on it to track the gold and XP my party earned in D&D on the reciept printer that we got to go with it.

I appreciate your fervor in stating your opinion, but perhaps the person who keeps throwing aspersions at the devs and other folk isn't the person who needs to tell others to grow up but the person who needs to actually grow up.

Again, there is a difference between reporting a bug and bitching, and you are doing an awful lot of the latter while attempting to do the first. If you can't handle people pointing out that the bitching isn't being helpful, then I'm sorry, but that's your issue. Not theirs, or mine.
    Myrm, my first computer was a ZX81 Sinclair. I wrote my first program on it to track the gold and XP my party earned in D&D on the reciept printer that we got to go with it. .

Good for you, you must be awfully proud.

Anyway, that's enough of that. I am going to continue to post my findings. Like I said, if you can't handle that then please do not read this thread.

KK, devs. Interestingly I have been able to progress past the barrier by using item 514 to remove terrain. None of the visible terrain was removed but clearly something invisible 'terrain' was 'removed' as I seemed to create a 'hole' in which I was able to pass through. I'll progress and see what happens and report my findings here. :smile: Ill also explore other invisible barriers throughout the game and see if the same 'fix' occurs, or whether it was just coincidental.
    edited February 2017
    Okay, it must have been a coincidence, or the hole I made with item 514 closed behind me as I cannot get back though the tunnel. And Item 514 won't make another 'hole'. Guess it must have just been a fluke that allowed me through. Anyway, I had a swim around the Thermal Complex and I was able to explore it fully with no proplems, though I didn't access the locked area even though I had the artefacts on me as I had used a 'cheat' (item 514) to get here. So I swam back to the hole I made and that's when I discovered that I can't get back.

Considering the last safe place i visited was the base I have created at the entrance to the cave with the Thermal complex in it, I was rather hoping that I would re-spawn in there when I allowed myself to drown. Noes! Unfortunately it re-spawn me in Lifepod 5 which has drifted 6000m out from anywhere. All my subs and Prawn are far too deep for me to dive down to. Looks like I'll have to find my sub making machine, wherever that is floating now :lol: and build another prawn. Oh noes! All my resources are in my base, 900m+ down. Going to need to do same basics now and find ore resources and create another Prawn. Oh well, at least it gives me something to do whilst the devs fix this invisible barrier bug.

Once the next stable upgrade comes out I'll drop back out of experimental and start afresh with the new update. :smile:
    I have just deleted and reinstalled SN, this time sticking with stable in preparation for tomorrow's (?) update. I guess it probably won't come until Thursday as it seems to be the norm (usually earmarked for a Tuesday release but normally delayed by a day or two). I'll start a new game and hopefully by the time I get back to where I am now, the barrier bug may have been fixed (I'll switched to Experimental once I get this far).