So Mack "Worthabuy" did a revisited review on Subnautica.

Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
And while I know this is a bit late, he makes some pretty good points and put forth some excellent praise. Do you agree with him?

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    He said qwop so many times it's burnt into my brain.
    Qwop
    Qwop
    Qwop
    Qwop
    Qwop
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2017
    I've been a fan of Mack and WAB since the early days of his youtubery, and I have to say you guys just aren't getting Mack and what he does. It seems your taking out your frustration at the multiplayer conversation out on him and that's not even remotely valid.
    Mack takes great pride in telling it how he sees it, and he's not the first or the last who will want multiplayer. As frustrating as it is, this elephant isn't going to leave the room. Not ever.

Saying he wants multiplayer on his own video is nowhere near like spamming the forums, so don't pretend it is.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    The very first thing one notices, is that he HASN'T really been paying attention to what the Dev's have been saying.
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    It takes next to no time to look at Dev statements or check the forums to find out if they're doing anything with Multiplayer, find out that oh, no they're not, and oh, that's the reason why.

He knows what the devs have said, and I know he knows, for a fact, because I regularly watch his streams and I've told him myself (more like broke the news to him gently) they have no plans for multiplayer. That doesn't mean he doesn't still think it should have multiplayer. He's just disappointed.

Again, voicing his opinion in his own video on his own channel which he specifically has because he wants to give his opinion, and because many people value his opinion (or at least enjoy hearing it) is nothing like coming on the forums and complaining about it.
    I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect the only reason he's not been on here complaining is because

1. He knows multiplayer won't happen so what's the point?
    2. He has his own videos to voice his opinion, he doesn't need to come on here.
    3. He's got better things to do and can't be arsed.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Also, the rant about his feelings toward Controllers, really wasn't necessary in a GAME REVIEW video

To quote the man himself, what the actual? Of course it is. The only better place for it would be here on the forums. You don't want him to talk about his feelings towards controllers when specifically talking about being frustrated having to use a controller when playing a game he otherwise really enjoys? He always mentions how he hates controllers, console ports, third person games, x-ray vision, low FOV, DLC, etc, etc, etc because these are the issues he runs into on a regular basis. His hatred runs deep and that's what's so awesome about him.

You have to understand that Mack is no ordinary reviewer. He caters for a very specific type of gamer. And you have to realise that Mack doesn't give a damn about what you or I or anyone thinks, he tells it like he sees it and that's his whole thing. He really appeals to jaded, middle aged men like me who are sick of all the crap in the gaming industry, and if he can complain about controllers, believe me he will. He's PC master race through and through, hates console peasants, and will make sure you know it. He's your grumpy old Granddad and you'd better get used to him because he won't change.

He's also a really lovely, genuinely funny (but not to all tastes) and highly entertaining man. I often, often disagree with the guy, and I know I'm coming across a little fanboy-like, but I feel you're being unfair to him.

If you're going to criticise him, at least criticise him for valid reasons. He's most definitely not lazy, he knows multiplayer won't be a thing, he's just voicing his (and many other people's) opinion.

If you actually knew anything about Mack, you'd know that he gave Subnautica some of his highest ever praise in his video. He said it was worth a buy, for God's sake. Not many games get that.

And he said "it's one of the most atmospheric games ever made".... that's the equivalent of Subnautica winning GotY and a million awards.

Anyway, just, before you judge, understand what you're judging and don't have a knee-jerk reaction.
    Take it from a long time fan, this video, coming from WAB, is probably the best endorsement Subnautica will ever have.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    @EnglishInfidel - It's not so much that he mentioned Multiplayer, it's the phrasing.

The "screaming out for" is what clinched it for me. The phrasing he used made it sound like the devs CAN put Multiplayer in, they just don't, in defiance of what the fans want.

He could have phrased it like... "I know we'd all like multiplayer but the developers have noted that they can't put it in, more's the shame". Because it always boils down to this:

Player: There should be coop or competitive multiplayer.
    Dev: We cannot put that in because [link explaining reason]
    Player: But you don't understand, I really want it.
    Other Player: But no they can't do that in the game's current form, they'd have to basically remake it from scratch.
    Player: I don't think I'm making myself clear. I REALLLLLLLLY want it.

Were I him, I probably would have done one of the following things concerning Multiplayer.
    1. Not mention it. Like, at all.
    2. Literally phrase it ANY OTHER WAY to address that no, there's not going to ever be Multiplayer, it's because they cannot do it, ah well

Because right there, at the start, the way he talks about "Coop being an intended feature" is misinformation. While yes, the game was conceived of as a cooperative game, the devs realized their limitations and came up with the statement of they cannot put in coop.

He said that at this point of development they could put in coop-

Except NO THEY CANNOT! That's what gets me riled up! It's not possible without literally scrapping the game and the people asking for coop and multiplayer don't seem to understand this! He should be more responsible with this! He should be something halfway resembling responsible!

Yes, I'm happy for the plug, and glad that the game's getting exposure. But for fuck's sake he shouldn't put in false expectations! He shouldn't even be even entertaining it as a possibility! He shouldn't be putting the idea out! He should have, at most, said "Well shucks and gosh darn, looks like despite how I'd like it, they can't do it. Well it's a great single player game anyway-"
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Yes. An intended feature. Doesn't mean that they would put it in.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned his views about guns in the game. For me personally, a simple speargun would suffice.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2017
    I'm not about to get dragged into another debate about it, to be honest, but I will say this...
    The "screaming out for" is what clinched it for me.
    But the game is absolutely "screaming out" for co-op, in many people's eyes. Not mine, and I happen to disagree with him, but whatever. He's entitled to his opinion on his own video regardless.
    All this complaining about people wanting multiplayer is becoming almost as annoying as people complaining there isn't multiplayer.
    That's what gets me riled up! It's not possible without literally scrapping the game and the people asking for coop and multiplayer don't seem to understand this! He should be more responsible with this! He should be something halfway resembling responsible!

Sorry, but he doesn't owe you anything, including being responsible.
    the way he talks about "Coop being an intended feature" is misinformation.

That's down to your interpretation I guess, but you may actually have a point. Perhaps he was speaking about the past, or present, it really isn't clear. I interpreted it as the past. But I don't know where he got his information, perhaps he read some long ago, outdated thing, I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time he made a mistake but this is just pure speculation.

It seemed obvious from "multiplayer isn't going to happen... at least from what I've read" that he understands the situation perfectly and isn't spreading any misinformation. It couldn't be clearer, he says very clearly, multiplayer won't happen.
    If somebody watched his video and came away with the idea that it will be multiplayer, then they mustn't have been watching the same video I did.
    Anyway, I think getting quite so irate about it isn't helping any situation. The fact is that the multiplayer issue isn't going away, so we have to get used to it.
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned his views about guns in the game. For me personally, a simple speargun would suffice.

I agree with him that games are not a place for making statements. They can be, but personally, I never care about the statement so it doesn't bother or affect me either way.
    I do however like the non-gun approach Subnautica has taken, purely because it does make a very easy game a little bit harder. A speargun would be good, and realistic, for fishing and stuff. But whatever. I can respect the devs decisions even if I think it's nonsensical.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    "It's never goin' to 'ave moltiplaya from what I've read"

"But coop is a desired feature, the developers would like to put in this game"

Hmm, that is exactly what he said and it is simply not true... Or did I miss something... Also isn't multiplayer the same as coop, just with more players :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Hmm, that is exactly what he said and it is simply not true... Or did I miss something... Also isn't multiplayer the same as coop, just with more players :D

O.o The developers would love to put co-op in. It's just not at this time feasible, and lot likely to ever be feasible. You have to live with reality, and make the right decisions, or you go belly-up, and no one wants that!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

O.o The developers would love to put co-op in. It's just not at this time feasible, and lot likely to ever be feasible. You have to live with reality, and make the right decisions, or you go belly-up, and no one wants that!

Alright, fair enuf. BUT Coop is still a form of mulitplayer dammit
    21191112075_95596a3e77_o.png

On another note, the reason for "no guns" is a bit American in this case. I mean, the devs are American so the shooting hits close to home for them. But the thing is, they are creating a game for the international community and as a result this message of solidarity with that particular shooting is lost to the world populous for the most part. Not matter how well meant the idea is :) The world doesn't revolve around America, even though from an American point of view it does look like that, it's a bit of that isolationism from outside media/cultures me thinks that causes this

BUT, from a game design standpoint I do believe not having guns in this game versus mostly melee creatures, does definitely add to the game's suspense and aids in the their design goal (disconnected from the "no guns" policy or message they're trying to get across). And we also do have those torpedo's soooo.

I'm more amazed there's no fishing. I mean what gives :D
    Alright, fair enuf. BUT Coop is still a form of mulitplayer dammit

You're absolutely correct, of course, but it does make me wonder about the perceptions we have.
    When I hear "co-op" I think of sitting on the couch, playing on the same screen as my brother like this...
    wjoxvwci95mn.jpg

... but when I hear "multiplayer" I think of sneaking on to his WoW account and getting ganked online, like this...
    4bwi0xp0c8jt.jpg
    GAH! I totally forgot about that console couchfoolery :D

4 player NES Wordcup o/
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Maybe we will get Co-op in 5 years, but that all depends on how much post-launch support Subnautica receives. Most games are lucky to get even 2 years of support.
    BUT, from a game design standpoint I do believe not having guns in this game versus mostly melee creatures, does definitely add to the game's suspense and aids in the their design goal (disconnected from the "no guns" policy or message they're trying to get across).

True, but...

While I might not agree that restricting gun use any further will help anything, I can certainly understand where this thought is coming from. However, to play devil's advocate, Subnautica is a perfect example of what restricting access to weapons ends up doing: putting innocent people (in this case, you as the sole survivor in Subnautica) in harm's way. The question everyone is up in arms about is whether restricting does more harm than good, or if it's the other way around (Obraxis Prime, remember?). I think restricting access to weapons does more harm than good -- how did Obraxis Prime even happen if everyone had access to weapons?! Was everyone sleeping? That's starting to go down the rabbit hole suited for another topic, though.

The developers think that access to weapons does more harm than good. *shrug* And I'm ok with that difference.
    I'm more amazed there's no fishing. I mean what gives :D

Quite.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    starkaos wrote: »

Maybe we will get Co-op in 5 years, but that all depends on how much post-launch support Subnautica receives. Most games are lucky to get even 2 years of support.

NO..., we are not going to get Co-Op in SUBNAUTICA in 5 years, or in any other time frame you wish to imagine. (PERIOD)

Stop trying to put words in the Dev's mouths.

They have said innumerable times now that the way the base-game coding is set up,
    IT IS NOT FEASIBLE...,
    IT IS NOT PRACTICAL...,
    and
    IT IS NOT MONETARILY ADVISABLE to do so.

They have said in the past, that when they first were designing the game, they would have liked to have been able to achieve that goal, but it didn't work out that way.

That does not mean that they are considering in any way, shape or form, actually doing it at some time in the future.

If there ever is a Multi-Player Subnautica Game, it will be a COMPLETELY NEW GAME, designed from the ground up, to be a MULTIPLAYER Game.

I know some folks love to live on the bank of Denial River, but this is getting ridiculous.

smh
    edited February 2017
    For those who don't understand the other side (and mods, please feel free to move this as well as my previous post if you think it's not suited to this thread):

I guess the huge deal is, that while firearms are indeed a very terrifying weapon in dangerous hands, they are also one of the greatest defenses and deterrents to a dangerous person(s).

I used to find military rifles frightening. I grew up in South Korea in the 90s. Literally armed ROK military guards with M-16 rifles standing at the entrance to the expressway when tensions with the North were running high. Also, when we visited our American friends on US military bases, of course the US guards had M-16s as well.

I also used to find driving a motor vehicle frightening.

I am no longer afraid of firearms, or of driving motor vehicles. However, I am very cautious, respectful, and mindful when I'm around them (decidedly more so with the weapons, of course, although a vehicle in the wrong hands makes an almost equally terrifying weapon, see the Nice, France attack of 2016). The difference? In both cases, training. As a member of the USMC Reserves, I was taught how to safely handle a firearm. The reason I brought that up, is that I think a lot of the stigma people place on firearms is simply a lack of proper training as to their proper, safe handling, whether you actually use one or not.

Remember also, Sandy Hook was by law a firearm-free zone. There could be no defense; it was not lawfully allowed. If the entire nation had a firearms ban, and a twisted psycho with a weapon walked into Sandy Hook, precisely the same thing would have happened as what did happen. Or, you could end up with something like this.

If you could guarantee that humans would not take forceful advantage of each other through threat of violence, then you would not need firearms for defense. However, if you get to that point, you really don't need to ban them any more, do you? You would have eliminated the entire reason for weapons to exist, at least as far as human to human interaction is concerned.

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I think this community has hit a little bump.

Yes, I understand why we crush people who talk about multiplayer, because it's not going to be added and its not worth taking about. But I feel as though the line between wanting multiplayer and talking about it on the forums has become very blurred, next to not existing at all. I want multiplayer quite badly. I think it would add to the game in a lot of ways, but I don't talk about it because it would be a waste of my time since its never going to happen. I feel like a lot of us on the forums (and I mean long-term, OG people on the forums) still want multiplayer, but have just accepted it is never going to happen.

But Youtube's a whole other realm. He's allowed to say what he wants to say, and if he thinks the game would be better with qwop (even though he's read it won't be added) he can say that. We shouldn't annihilate him just for bringing it up.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I think this community has hit a little bump.

Yes, I understand why we crush people who talk about multiplayer, because it's not going to be added and its not worth taking about. But I feel as though the line between wanting multiplayer and talking about it on the forums has become very blurred, next to not existing at all. I want multiplayer quite badly. I think it would add to the game in a lot of ways, but I don't talk about it because it would be a waste of my time since its never going to happen. I feel like a lot of us on the forums (and I mean long-term, OG people on the forums) still want multiplayer, but have just accepted it is never going to happen.

But Youtube's a whole other realm. He's allowed to say what he wants to say, and if he thinks the game would be better with qwop (even though he's read it won't be added) he can say that. We shouldn't annihilate him just for bringing it up.

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Ah, I see we're still arguing about multiplayer.

I wish @Obraxis would see one of these threads, and bring down the hammer of the devs wishes, so that we wouldn't argue about it anymore.

Something like this...
    vyrhhh0ld4pe.jpg

Is this another multiplayer argument? It's about multiplayer, but it isn't about whether it should be added or not, just about how much it should be brought up... but it's about multiplayer so technically it is a multiplayer argument?

Either way, it's more civil than if a sheep was dropped in a pen of hungry tigers so I'm okay with it.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Is this another multiplayer argument? It's about multiplayer, but it isn't about whether it should be added or not, just about how much it should be brought up... but it's about multiplayer so technically it is a multiplayer argument?

Either way, it's more civil than if a sheep was dropped in a pen of hungry tigers so I'm okay with it.

Yeah its another one of those Buffet-for-all ''Multi-gun-ImRightSoShutTheF***Up thread'' .....
    Im one of those that likes a good debate but this topic has been debated too many times that we can count to, so wer going in circles here.
  • Niil945Niil945 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227321Members
    -His point about multiplayer and coop seemed to differentiate the two in categories where the former isn't going to happen and the latter is on the list. Clearly that's wrong.
    -The point he made about controllers I actually feel has bearing on the game. I don't have a VR capable setup so I haven't tinkered with it, but the complaint about having to use a controller might be specific to this game. Is there some limitation built into VR where you absolutely HAVE to use a controller? If not, if that was a design choice and not a universal limitation on VR, then I'm right there with him. I have zero desire to play any game on a controller. The keyboard and mouse are simply far superior in my eyes and I will never seriously play a game on controller again (the only cases I can think of in the past 15 years where I have is visiting relatives and my nieces and nephews want to play some kids game for a bit so I'll grab a controller to entertain them).
    -Overall he seemed entertaining and I'm very happy he wasn't constantly doing camera filters and playing weird sounds. So annoying when folks making videos do that. I also really liked that he tried to show as much of the gameplay as he could while keeping it as spoiler free as possible. He seemed very conscientious about that. While I didn't agree with him on everything, he gets a thumbs up from me.
    One caveat: A controller is actually better for flying and driving. But it isn't precise enough if you have to aim while doing that. (If you disagree, kindly remember that most console FPS games have auto-aim for precisely this reason, so you don't aim as well as you might think. Try shutting the auto-aim off, then we'll talk.)

What controllers could really, really use is an easy way to switch sensitivity settings on the fly, like most gaming mice (which are already extremely accurate even without this) have.