Small farfetched theory about the precursors (spoilers?)

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
Is it possible that the precursors are the Borg from Star Trek? Their structures' interior is vaguely similar, with the green/black theme and straight surfaces. Also the portals are similar to the Borg transwarp hub.

Most likely if they have anything to do with each other the Bprg are just a source of inspiration

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    Is it possible that the precursors are the Borg from Star Trek? Their structures' interior is vaguely similar, with the green/black theme and straight surfaces. Also the portals are similar to the Borg transwarp hub.

Most likely if they have anything to do with each other the Bprg are just a source of inspiration

I would say rather, if that were the case, that the Precursors weren't the Borg, but might have been one of the first species the Borg assimilated. But I don't think the two universes match that well.
  • DotBatFileDotBatFile Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227316Members
    edited January 2017
    Nobody really cares about your small far-fetched3b453b7ubzmm.jpg
    theory get off this game now XD
    DotBatFile wrote: »

Congratulations! You new profile picture has been selected ▲ . Please apply it now.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Congratulations! You new profile picture has been selected ▲ . Please apply it now.

My profile pic or his?

Why stop playing an awesome game when I made a random post in a forum (which has even more random posts)?
    edited January 2017

I would say rather, if that were the case, that the Precursors weren't the Borg, but might have been one of the first species the Borg assimilated. But I don't think the two universes match that well.

Well, references exist. But as I said, the theory IS pretty farfetched and if the Borg have anything to do with SN it's just a source of inspiration at best.
    What if it turned out that the precursor are what made and became the Borg? I'm not sure if that's what you were going for with the precursors being one of the first species to be assimilated or if you mean that the Borg started off as a skynet-style AI that started assimilating others.
    But think about it. Additionally to the points made before, the precursors have obviously meddled with cybernetics (warpers), and pretty much everything they build appear to be nearly cubical in shape. This architechture could've evolved into the perfectly symmetrical architechture used by the borg after they started enchancing themselves. Both use materials that are descrbed as "unknown".
    The backstory of the Borg is never revealed in Star Trek, and nobody really knows where they came from. Could it be that the precursors started turning themselves into cyborgs as a last resort to survive the carar? Also they could've linked their minds and created the collective to develop the cure faster.
    They don't fit in this universe, but thinking about it, they don't really fit in the ST universe either; they're like nothing else in that universe, and nothing is known about their history and no historical artifacts have been found.
    Maybe the precursors created the borg to survive the carar. Maybe after that, when they first tested their transwarp technology something went wrong and they ended up in another dimension, the one ST takes place in. That would explain why nothing is known about the Borg and nothing that would tell about their history can't be found. It's because their history took place in another universe. That's also why there's nothing like them in the ST universe. Also that would explain one problem created by this theory; why they haven't F'd up the SN universe.

But as I said, this is farfetched. Maybe I'm trying to force these two together. But the more I think about it, the less farfetched it seems.

I dunno, I'd just like it if they were connected.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    My personal theory is that the Kharaa from Natural Selection 2 is the infected Precursors. The ones that escaped from the Carar uploaded their minds into computers until a cure is finally developed. Architecture is not enough reason to conclude that the Precursors are like the Borg.
    edited January 2017
    starkaos wrote: »
    My personal theory is that the Kharaa from Natural Selection 2 is the infected Precursors. The ones that escaped from the Carar uploaded their minds into computers until a cure is finally developed. Architecture is not enough reason to conclude that the Precursors are like the Borg.

Did you read my latest comment? But anyways, It's pretty much confirmed that the NS2 and SN share the same universe. Could it be possible that only a portion of the population turned themselves to cyborgs? That portion connected their minds for faster development so they could develop a cure. The ones that altered themselves survived as a collective, while the ones that refused to accept cybernetics became the Kharaa

Also, I doubt it's you personal theory. It's a rather popular theory, and to be your personal theory, wouldn't it have to be invented by you?

My profile pic or his?

The user I quoted from.
    I doubt this theory is anything close to correct, but I'd like to see the storyt updated so we get to know the precursors better. What happened to them? Where they came from? Where did they come from, where did they go, where did they come from cotton eye Joe? who are they? How do they look? How do their ships look?

What we currently know is that they are super advanced and presumably dead people that create massive guns capable of destroying ships thousands of kilometers away, turn lifeforms to cyborgs (probably against their will) and create bioweapons (the Wiki says that the carar was creted By them for unknown reasons, and the only reason I can imagine for creating a super-lethal quickly spreading disease apparently good for nothing else is weaponry)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    It's not all that farfetched, just not in the way you really want it. The similarities are definitely there, so maybe UW took inspiration from the Borg for the Precursors.

It's not as cool, but a connection nonetheless.
    Skope wrote: »
    It's not all that farfetched, just not in the way you really want it. The similarities are definitely there, so maybe UW took inspiration from the Borg for the Precursors.

It's not as cool, but a connection nonetheless.

Well, I did say twice that they might've been source of inspiration only
    edited January 2017
    From another thread:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147630/mass-extinction-event#latest
    But didn't the precursor base in at the meteor specifically say they uploaded themselves to the ion crystal holders because they failed to get a cure for the disease and they didn't want to die?

That kind-of confirms some parts of my theory but also means I'll have to change some.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    The Borg? why would the Borg be interested in aesthetics witch is the reason for the precursors design on the walls.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    But they do like there cubes.
    Icremun wrote: »
    The Borg? why would the Borg be interested in aesthetics witch is the reason for the precursors design on the walls.

Looking at the borg cubes, there are some pretty odd and probably hard to build structures made that complicated to be aesthetic, while they could've been more practical. And they have lights in their ships too; probably aesthetic as well, I doubt they have any problem seeing in the dark. Also, why hide most of the tech behind wall panels? Not all human military ships have their tech hidden, since wall panels are a waste of resources.

And why wouldn't they care? It's a hive mind, not a computer. It probably has a sense of aesthetics with a taste that's a mixture of the tastes of the assimilated individuals. Even a sentient computer would probably have a sense of aesthetics, and the borg hive mind is a mixture of once-individual minds, most of which had a sense of aesthetics (that is, pretty much everybody but the vorta)
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2017
    They don't have the legal rights to do this, so no. They could make it a Borg-like species, but never the Borg. As for an inspiration, I could definitely see the ART style as an inspiration.
    include wrote: »
    They don't have the legal rights to do this, so no. They could make it a Borg-like species, but never the Borg. As for an inspiration, I could definitely see the ART style as an inspiration.

Just wait a few decades until the copyright expires
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Well, just now when I accessed the first data terminal on the island, I got a
    "Resistance is futile." message and a saxophone track
    instead of the normal voice over.
    edited February 2017
    Fathom wrote: »
    Well, just now when I accessed the first data terminal on the island, I got a
    "Resistance is futile." message and a saxophone track
    instead of the normal voice over.

Really? If this is true this is awesome.
    Talking about the Borg, here's a quote from Trump:

"We have to have assimilation — to have a country, we have to have assimilation”