Mass Extinction Event?

JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
So we already knew the Precursors destroyed themselves with the Carar, but NOW we're getting word of ANOTHER extinction event from terminals in the Thermal Plant...

It really intrigues me that the Precursors were doing exactly what we were doing but with different creatures; it just makes me so happy. And all we see of this ancient world is pretty much the Emperor, which adds a whole new layer to it's eggs hatching and stuff (and we see skeletons in the Secondary Research Facility). So, here's some conversation starters:

1. What was this extinction event? Was it Carar?
2. Are there any other creatures that we see that survived this extinction event?

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Well, it states the extinction event as occurring approximately 1,000 years ago. When did the precursors go extinct again? If my memory serves me correctly, it was about 1,000 years ago. If this is the case, it would make the most probable answer the Caraar bacterium. Also, 10,000 to 1,000 years ago seems like very recent fossil evidence. I'd love to see what Subnautican life looked like however many millions of years ago, or whenever it first formed.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    edited January 2017
    The extinction event that the terminals suggest the meteor crash, it can be found in the dunes in experimental with the third precursor.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Icremun wrote: »
    The extinction event that the terminals suggest the meteor crash, it can be found in the dunes in experimental with the third precursor.

I've read it and it seems like it's just suggesting Carar.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited January 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

Maybe the meteor was carrying the Carar?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Skope wrote: »

No, I think the precursors developed the carar for use as a weapon.
    Skope wrote: »

No, the Carar was created by the Precursors.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Does it actually state that anywhere in the game?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Does it actually state that anywhere in the game?

As far as everyone is aware of we the 'players' have assumed that the Precursor's were wiped out, granted the physical body form of them and not the digitized form of them.

We all know that the Carar was created by the Precusor's there's enough inside the game to support that fact. Wikia link http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Carar

• starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    We know that the Precursor brought the Carar to Planet 4546B for research purposes to find a cure, but there is no ingame confirmation that the Precursors created the Carar only dev confirmation. Apparently, the Carar is a possible link between Subnautica and Natural Selection 2. Subnautica has green cysts from its version of the Carar and the antagonists in Natural Selection have yellow cysts from their version of the Carar.
  • Xxcookid123xXXxcookid123xX USA Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224587Members
    edited January 2017
    But didn't the precursor base in at the meteor specifically say they uploaded themselves to the ion crystal holders because they failed to get a cure for the disease and they didn't want to die?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I was under the impression that the Carar disease was a natural disease, and the Precursors were having outbreaks within their network of planets. They selected a planet that looked promising for research, and created safeguards in case their research went awry.
    So what we know:

1) there were two extinction events the meteor and the carar, which the thermal plant terminal is talking bout is unknown.

2) The precursors created the carar for unknown reasons.

3) The purpose of the research is to find a cure.

4) The carar has killed over 140 billion.

5) The resident precursors of 4546B stored themselves as data when there was a breach in containment.

Have I got anything wrong or missed anything relevant?
    edited January 2017
    So what we know:

1) there were two extinction events the meteor and the carar, which the thermal plant terminal is talking bout is unknown.

2) The precursors created the carar for unknown reasons.

3) The purpose of the research is to find a cure.

4) The carar has killed over 140 billion.

5) The resident precursors of 4546B stored themselves as data when there was a breach in containment.

Have I got anything wrong or missed anything relevant?
    I'm pretty sure there was only one extinction event 1000 years ago (the Carar), not two.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Just going to put this out there:

The meteor had to do at least some damage to nature. Maybe that's why the Dunes is so barren? Or did it do more damage than that?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    There was only a speculation by the terminal of a meteor being a potential cause of the former mass extinction. The reason was stated as unknown.

We must rather assume it was the Carar. There was some bioresearch going on when a breach caused an outbreak and thus the planet had to be put in quarantine. The natural immunity of the Emperor could be a hint that the former extinction was an earlier Carar outbreak.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »

The meteor had to do at least some damage to nature. Maybe that's why the Dunes is so barren? Or did it do more damage than that?
    Considering how small the crater is and that the meteor is still intact, it didn't do much damage at all. Also it uprooted some of the Precursor installation, so it must have hit after they build that.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Fathom wrote: »

Considering how small the crater is and that the meteor is still intact, it didn't do much damage at all. Also it uprooted some of the Precursor installation, so it must have hit after they build that.

Is it possible that all of the caches were underground and have just been revealed by natural things happening? The Dunes one was revealed by the meteorite impact, the Sparse Reef one could be from the Floating Island lifting up from the biome, and the one in Blood Kelp could have been revealed by the Under Islands and the Blood Kelp.
    Ok one extinction event, the carar.

I'm no meteorological expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

How big is the meteorite in the dunes? For example, the meteorite that affected the K-T (cretaceous) extinction* was estimated to be about as big as a city (6miles/10km wide, by some estimates). If the impact of the meteorite was large enough, it could have spread a large enough ash cloud to affect the entire dunes biome. Once we get the size of the meteorite we could hypothetically calculate the size of the fallout it would have caused. It is always possible that it had a negligible effect on the dunes, as well.

*(one of the most accepted theories for the extinction, anyway)
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Non if I know my exstinctions the meteorite in the creator was too small for a mass extinction event, it's about the size of a cyclops so the worst it could do was make a large creator. A bacterial exstinction could also be crossed f if we know how the bones were positioned, if it was a virus the. Large shoals of fish would slowly die of one by one but not in large groups. Also if this was the case there would also be a lot of methane gas pocket where decomposing tissue has been buried in the rock. The most likely source would actually either be the lava zone erupting and contaminating the water with soot and ash or the precursors going halo on the planet.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members

I'm no meteorological expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

How big is the meteorite in the dunes? For example, the meteorite that affected the K-T (cretaceous) extinction* was estimated to be about as big as a city (6miles/10km wide, by some estimates). If the impact of the meteorite was large enough, it could have spread a large enough ash cloud to affect the entire dunes biome. Once we get the size of the meteorite we could hypothetically calculate the size of the fallout it would have caused. It is always possible that it had a negligible effect on the dunes, as well.

*(one of the most accepted theories for the extinction, anyway)

You're missing out on two factors there, how fast the object is going and the displacement of the seabed and water. Last two would slow the object down but you'd still get quite the large amount of damage done by it, speed and mass matter. Take a meteorite the size of a car or a bus for example, both sizes has enough energy to be as destructive or more destructive as our currently most powerful nuclear weapon devices.
    Non if I know my exstinctions the meteorite in the creator was too small for a mass extinction event, it's about the size of a cyclops so the worst it could do was make a large creator. A bacterial exstinction could also be crossed f if we know how the bones were positioned, if it was a virus the. Large shoals of fish would slowly die of one by one but not in large groups. Also if this was the case there would also be a lot of methane gas pocket where decomposing tissue has been buried in the rock. The most likely source would actually either be the lava zone erupting and contaminating the water with soot and ash or the precursors going halo on the planet.

That meteorite is a bit larger than a Cyclops, you are probably only seeing half of it or even a 3rd of it, a good deal of it would be buried under the surface.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    On a second thought the meteor impact didn't directly create the mass extinction, but held some lifeforms inside that got released by the impact on Subnautica. This caused the Carar virus and with it the mass extinction through the Carar.