We're looking for some new Subnautica Playtesters!

ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
crqniqeit9ar.jpg

We're looking for some new Subnautica Volunteer Playtesters! :smiley:

Successful applicants get to help squash bugs, talk to devs, complain about framerate in-person & give suggestions to help us finish the game. Not to mention learning secrets before anyone else!

Apply here: tinyurl.com/subnautica-pt

Don't forget to join the Discord community here: discord.gg/0TYSaqpNv6wffpB1

Comments

• GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    Pay me $5 an hour and I'll play it 8+ hours a day for you! That's less than minimum wage. I don't need benefits, or a 401k. I'll even test on sick days. No paid vacation days is fine. BUT, I draw the line at free. I like Subnautica and all, but I also like Burger King, and I'm not going to work there for free to help them out. More humor than snark is intended here, but also, the trend of the game Industry basically making everyone beta testers doesn't settle well with me. The lack of quality assurance has been evident over the last decade. Do companies simply not play test enough, or not hire enough play testers? I don't know. Can't your team afford to hire one dedicated, qualified guy/gal to play the heck out of it? I'm thinking of developing a game, any devs out there want to create the game for me for free?
  • crimsontwilightcrimsontwilight England Join Date: 2014-03-30 Member: 195051Members
    edited November 2016
    I understand where you're coming from, but politely disagree. The thing is the devs have access to a pool of very committed, loyal and (often) helpful fans, to whom making the game better is all the payment they need. Therefore it doesn't really make sense for the devs to pay to get (potentially) less committed people to help - supply and demand and all that jazz.

The only issue I can see it creating is that people may overlook faults with the game, just because they love it, but the community here seems to be able to give and take criticism better than many fanbases, so I'm not too worried about that.

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I understand where you're coming from, but politely disagree. The thing is the devs have access to a pool of very committed, loyal and (often) helpful fans, to whom making the game better is all the payment they need. Therefore it doesn't really make sense for the devs to pay to get (potentially) less committed people to help - supply and demand and all that jazz.

Exactly this. I'd love to playtest just for the chance to get more involved with the game. I don't need anything else, especially not money.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    edited November 2016
    I sent you my application. Filled out all the little extras too :) Kind of wondered if this comment was directed right at my whiny behind :smile: LOL

"complain about framerate in-person"
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    I thought we were all already playtesting...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Thosar wrote: »

There's a difference between playing and reporting bugs when you see them, and playing with the purpose of finding things that could go wrong.

Basically the difference between 'see something, say something' and 'looking for trouble'
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Play "Testing" is not just about playing the game,

You may have a list of bugs / fixes that need to be tested, You will spend a lot of time replicating bugs, and reporting back, Play testing is amazing, as you get to be apart of the games development process, no play testers would mean a lot less time for Dev's to spend on implanting new and exciting features. - and this is just a little tiny bit of the puzzle.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    edited November 2016
    Having dedicated "staff" to work out certain pieces can really speed development. When you have a rapport with people, know their capabilities and feedback is 100% on it can greatly accelerate the process. Instead of getting just general "this sucks or doesn't work".

Here's how I would hope they'd use my expertise from some past development gigs. They make a change to x, send out temp build and say "What did this do to performance". I report back with x framerates over x time, with a man/min and average of x, and latency/lag spikes of x. It is a definite improvement/no change/worse. Right now its just throw out mostly stable update and people give general impressions. While that aggregate data is nice, it doesn't provide much detail nor flexibility for the developer. The other piece is having people who know development and code so when ideas or solutions are presented they know they're not wasting the teams time since it will be in scope of what is actually possible.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    As Long As There Is Good Content And I Get Payed 4 Dollars A Day I Will Play Test The Game.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    As Long As There Is Good Content And I Get Payed 4 Dollars A Day I Will Play Test The Game.

Sorry, no pay for playtesting.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

There's a difference between playing and reporting bugs when you see them, and playing with the purpose of finding things that could go wrong.

Basically the difference between 'see something, say something' and 'looking for trouble'

I thought we were already playtesting... You guys don't go looking to break the game?
    Sorry I had to. But yes, I get the difference.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    I'd just like to do it for free, I don't know who on earth thinks their ability to play a video game warrants them getting paid
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I thought we were already playtesting... You guys don't go looking to break the game?

Some of us do.
    Fluffers wrote: »
    I'd just like to do it for free, I don't know who on earth thinks their ability to play a video game warrants them getting paid

If you're actually playtesting and not just reporting bugs as you come across them / if you feel like it, the game probably stops being as enjoyable and perhaps even an outright chore, I would guess.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Chore is an understatement. I'll pass, I want to still like subnautica when it releases. Best of luck to those who are applying.
    Alright, for anyone thinking about this, I actually looked at the application, and encourage everyone who might be interested in helping Subnautica succeed to do the same --

They don't have a requirement for hours available, you just fill in what you would be able to do. So if you already play say 10 hours a week, why not devote a quarter or half of that to playtesting?

Just food for thought. :)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    Pay me $5 an hour and I'll play it 8+ hours a day for you! That's less than minimum wage. I don't need benefits, or a 401k. I'll even test on sick days. No paid vacation days is fine. BUT, I draw the line at free. I like Subnautica and all, but I also like Burger King, and I'm not going to work there for free to help them out. More humor than snark is intended here, but also, the trend of the game Industry basically making everyone beta testers doesn't settle well with me. The lack of quality assurance has been evident over the last decade. Do companies simply not play test enough, or not hire enough play testers? I don't know. Can't your team afford to hire one dedicated, qualified guy/gal to play the heck out of it? I'm thinking of developing a game, any devs out there want to create the game for me for free?

>Implying play-testers have ever done a good job.

AAA games are generally way, way more buggy than indie games that have had early access.

In fact, you could make an extremely good argument that in the last few years, with early access being so prevalent, the quality of games (at least non-AAA games) has improved at all in a general sense.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited November 2016
    Wha? I guess the F8 feedback form is so buried in idiotic feedback that they mostly gave up on it?

We already paid money into an EA title. I'd gladly try and repro specific issues. But applying for something seems like work. :p

Oh, here's a notion: make a sticky locked thread for people to check. Post in it when you need something weird reproduced, any repro steps, and what to do with any data required, then edit each post to "done" when complete. No forum-posting spam, just dev posts for issues that internal testing is having trouble with, and such?
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Wha? I guess the F8 feedback form is so buried in idiotic feedback that they mostly gave up on it?

We already paid money into an EA title. I'd gladly try and repro specific issues. But applying for something seems like work. :p

It's a really simple form, would take like 2 minutes, max.

Eh. Here:

Subnautica Volunteer Playtester Application
    Please fill out all questions to the best of your knowledge. Your application will be reviewed and scrutinized - so please be honest.

There is a fixed upper limit to the number of play testers admitted to the PT Groups. Your details will be kept on-file - please view our privacy policy here: http://unknownworlds.com/privacy/. If the PT group is full, you will be considered in the next round of applications.

* = Required

What is your full name?*

What is your email address?*

Please link us to your Steam profile or XboxID. Your profile cannot be private*
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/<customURL> or http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656119xxxxxxxxxx http://live.xbox.com/Profile?Gamertag=<Your Gamertag Here>

What is your UWE forum username?
    This is your username on both the Subnautica and Natural Selection 2 forums

How old are you?*
    • 13-17
    • 18-24
    • 25-30
    • 31-40
    • 40-51
    • 51+

What country are you from?*

What language(s) do you speak?*
    Please note that English is required

Are you or have you beta tested any other games?

Do you know any current UWE Playtesters?

Do you have any programming experience?*
    • No
    • A little
    • I'm John Carmack
    • Other:

What system do you play Subnautica on?*
    (Check all that apply)
    • XboxOne
    • Windows
    • MacOS
    This is a required question

If you own Subnautica on PC/Mac, what operating system do you use?*
    • Windows
    • MacOS

If you play on PC/Mac, what are your system specs? (Xbox Users please put in your Xbox Model)*
    Please keep this brief - CPU/RAM/Graphics card

Do you have any experience with open world games?
    Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, Terraria, etc. are all good examples

How many hours can you devote to Playtesting UWE Games each week?*

What do you think makes you a good candidate for being a Unknown Worlds Playtester?*

Do you have any special skills that could be helpful in future game development?

Is there anything else you'd like us to know?

Never submit passwords through Google Forms.