Arctic Biome?

2»

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    Would it be annoying of me to bring up the concept of "void islands" again?

Not that I don't think the other ideas of precursor teleportation or geological cold traps can't work or aren't cool ideas. Void islands just seem fairly relevant and another option on how to believably implement these "not like the others" biomes; and I am not a fan of retyping stuff.

That actually could work. But something fundamentally an issue with theoretical void islands is the void part. The void isn't canon, it's merely the side-effect of having hand-crafted terrain and the fact that it's limited terrain. No planet realistically would have a normal terrain but is mostly a void with islands. Add that to how combining manual generation with procedural could be a daunting task, especially in time for 1.0. Otherwise, that is a good idea.

This is assuming my interpretation or whatever it is of the concept being basically islands floating in the void, similar to how the floater islands is only connected to water (thanks, floaters!).

Or they could be "islands" of diversity in just an infinite dunes biome.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Arctic doesn't have to be bland, there are a fair number of fish, corals, anemone, urchins and the like that live in arctic conditions deep beneath the ice. Being completely blocked off from the surface and sunlight and effects from the cold could very well make it one of the more challenging regions in the game. Add in navigational hazards like ice spikes travelling downwards from the ice shelf If we could get unique corals that have valuable effects, perhaps through the transfuser item, something adorable like a puffin and a unique predator I'm all for it.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Arctic doesn't have to be bland, there are a fair number of fish, corals, anemone, urchins and the like that live in arctic conditions deep beneath the ice. Being completely blocked off from the surface and sunlight and effects from the cold could very well make it one of the more challenging regions in the game. Add in navigational hazards like ice spikes travelling downwards from the ice shelf If we could get unique corals that have valuable effects, perhaps through the transfuser item, something adorable like a puffin and a unique predator I'm all for it.

It'd be cool to have a place where reflections and whatnot can come into play too. Could be quite dramatic looking possibly!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited November 2016
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I just want to see the vertical drop-off replaced by an abyssal plain that sinks gradually below 1700m

Like SOMA! I loved the feeling of paranoia and utter isolation walking across the abyssal plain whilst a torrent caused by faultline activity stirred up detritus and slowed you down. You couldn't see further than a few metres in any direction and had to stay close to lights or unspeakable deep-sea monsters would get you. Something like that in Subnautica would appeal to me, but then I'm pretty keen on horror.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The idea of an arctic biome used to appeal to me, but now when I look at it I just don't see how you could benefit from it. Maybe some custom resources, but as convenience goes we've got pretty much every base covered. Sure, we've got some biomes there solely for decoration but they're usually fitted into the landscape quite well, for example the floating islands. But I'd assume the arctic biome would be quite large, and would have to be quite deep, and would have to be awkwardly stapled onto the side of the map. I'd love to see it, don't get me wrong, but with a bit of story behind it that hasn't been covered yet.
    I imagine it on the northern edge of the map (the don't look to tropical, so it would be perfect) so I reckon that maybe we could find the ruins of the Sunbeam there on the glaciers.
    What I'm saying is I don't want a biome for the sake of having a biome. Make it awesome, give it some story, don't just have it, know what I mean?
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited November 2016
    No thanks, no Arctic, it doesn't make any sense at all to have a cold patch on this planet, at least not anywhere near where we are.

Besides, it's unoriginal, boring, bland and no, just no.

Do you even know what game you're playing?

Boring? Just because its arctic? What world you living in? Because it ain't the world of Subnautica.

And how does a colder part of a planet not make sense?...

Earth... the place which can sustain life... has a north and south pole. Those are full of... guess what.... ICE! Cold artic waters.
    No thanks, no Arctic, it doesn't make any sense at all to have a cold patch on this planet, at least not anywhere near where we are.

Pretty sure if someone pitched the Lost River idea to you you'd think it would be boring. There's a way to make everything original, awesome, vibrant, like every biome in Subnautica has proven. They've only talked about implementing an arctic biome, and without even concept art (as far as I know) you're ready to assume that the idea's bland and unoriginal.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members

Do you even know what game you're playing?

Boring? Just because its arctic? What world you living in? Because it ain't the world of Subnautica.

And how does a colder part of a planet not make sense?...

Earth... the place which can sustain life... has a north and south pole. Those are full of... guess what.... ICE! Cold artic waters.

Sure if they make the map thousands and thousands of square miles, then you might have a point. But it isn't, and you don't.
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Pretty sure if someone pitched the Lost River idea to you you'd think it would be boring. There's a way to make everything original, awesome, vibrant, like every biome in Subnautica has proven. They've only talked about implementing an arctic biome, and without even concept art (as far as I know) you're ready to assume that the idea's bland and unoriginal.

The lost river never sounded boring, and an arctic biome still does. It's just my opinion, I don't get why everyone's so defensive over this. I find it extremely unoriginal and nothing will change my mind unless it's absolutely freaking spectacular if it gets made.

Applicable;
    unv66sdssgo2.jpg
    It's just my opinion, I don't get why everyone's so defensive over this.

Not getting defensive, I really like listening to other people's opinions. It's only healthy to counter them with your own thoughts, though, and that's all I'm trying to do. Still got a lot of respect for you, just don't agree with you on this one :smile:
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    We do have teleportation in this universe though... great DLC potential, no?
    It's just my opinion, I don't get why everyone's so defensive over this.

Not defensive, I just think you're wrong :P (intended as silly)

Seriously though, just thought perhaps there was something that you might not have considered when making the post so I brought it up for consideration. If it still sounds boring to you then we just think differently and there's not a problem. Cheers.

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Sorry, there will be no Arctic biome, or any other whole new biomes (such as Lilypad Islands) added for 1.0, as we have our hands full finishing and polishing up the existing ones. But, there's always the potential for future updates post 1.0, depending on how things go.

I would still personally love to add an Arctic Biome. I think there's quite a bit we could do to make it interesting.

If you guys ever put out DLC for the game in the future, I'd tooootally snap it up like the minute it goes up on the store. If a frigid biome does make it in post-release, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Sorry, there will be no Arctic biome, or any other whole new biomes (such as Lilypad Islands) added for 1.0, as we have our hands full finishing and polishing up the existing ones. But, there's always the potential for future updates post 1.0, depending on how things go.

I would still personally love to add an Arctic Biome. I think there's quite a bit we could do to make it interesting.
    Rezca wrote: »
    If you guys ever put out DLC for the game in the future, I'd tooootally snap it up like the minute it goes up on the store. If a frigid biome does make it in post-release, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

+1, would also buy pretty much any DLC that has an actual in-game use.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited November 2016
    Count me in for DLC. I am most interested in the free DLC setup spoken of here so everyone can get it and it doesn't have to conflict with possible other DLC (I hate when two DLC packages do not interact with each other, which too often happens because of the optionality). Not a money thing for me personally, I assure. Subnautica is, imo, a $60 game going for only $20, so there's another $40 UWE can have from me even if the game's development stops at V1.0, let alone if there'll be more.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    The idea of an arctic biome used to appeal to me, but now when I look at it I just don't see how you could benefit from it. Maybe some custom resources, but as convenience goes we've got pretty much every base covered. Sure, we've got some biomes there solely for decoration but they're usually fitted into the landscape quite well, for example the floating islands. But I'd assume the arctic biome would be quite large, and would have to be quite deep, and would have to be awkwardly stapled onto the side of the map. What I'm saying is I don't want a biome for the sake of having a biome. Make it awesome, give it some story, don't just have it, know what I mean?

I don't imagine anyone wants a biome just to have a biome. And I might be able to give an example of a resource/feature that isn't covered by the current game. One of the things I put forth as a polishing feature are some floating resources, such as alien ambergris to use as wax for veggie preservation, as we can currently only preserve fish (which is a bother for peeps wanting to rp as vegetarian). I was thinking reefback-produced, but an Arctic-specific wale-like creature (I'm partial to the purple whale from the concept art) being used might work better. I'd still like alien ambergris to be available "everywhere", but a hotspot in the Arctic would have merit.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

So out of curiosity, what will become of the current "unassigned" biomes? You're not going to leave them as empty unpolished space are you?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members

As others in the thread have mentioned, if you add post-release DLC I would pay extra for a truly customizable game. Let us change stuff like O2 consumption, power consumption, add Nitrogen sickness, things like that. New areas are fun to explore, but I'd like to customize new playthroughs and alter stuff each time, such as increasing difficulty or making interesting things happen.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If you add full-out modding support, you'll probably get insane replayability + future sales of the game for who knows how long.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    I want the arctic biome (I love winter) I would just love to put my base there I have some ideas about it like special cold water reefback (kinda like arctic whales) and maybe just more special biome based adapted creatures like the lava boomerang and eyeye that would be nice and just like put it in the world twice (yea im starting to ramble now) One in the northern end of the map and one in the south like poles but they would it where the void is and maybe instead of just a lush coral reef changing to ice mabye just make the transition slow and subtle (yea im right) it would be an OK biome and the caves is another comment for another day (my fingers are too tired :tired_face: )
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members

Proplem is that the part of the planet we are on apopears to be quite equatorial. It would just be dumb to find one or more arctic zones within a ten minute swim from the lifepod. It would need to have some type of warp anomaly that would transport us from owner end of the planet to another instantly. I do like the idea of an arctic biome, but it would stupid to have a sudden change from tropical/equatorial to arctic simply by swimming for a few minutes.
    Add me onto the list of folks who would snap up a DLC as quickly as finances allow.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    maybe put like the southern artic biome I mentioned earlier far past the floating island
    Proplem is that the part of the planet we are on apopears to be quite equatorial. It would just be dumb to find one or more arctic zones within a ten minute swim from the lifepod. It would need to have some type of warp anomaly that would transport us from owner end of the planet to another instantly. I do like the idea of an arctic biome, but it would stupid to have a sudden change from tropical/equatorial to arctic simply by swimming for a few minutes. yea your right but as I said earlier just make the coral slowly dissaper then none left then the arctic biome
    I could figure out how to do this person said
    Proplem is that the part of the planet we are on apopears to be quite equatorial. It would just be dumb to find one or more arctic zones within a ten minute swim from the lifepod. It would need to have some type of warp anomaly that would transport us from owner end of the planet to another instantly. I do like the idea of an arctic biome, but it would stupid to have a sudden change from tropical/equatorial to arctic simply by swimming for a few minutes. yea your right but as I said earlier just make the coral slowly dissaper then none left then the arctic biome

I've explained in the other Arctic biome topic that the water of an Arctic biome would only need to be some 7 degrees colder than the Lost River, which is 4 degrees and sits comfortably next to the ILZ which is 40 degrees. The game world as it is fits an Arctic biome just fine.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I've explained in the other Arctic biome topic that the water of an Arctic biome would only need to be some 7 degrees colder than the Lost River, which is 4 degrees and sits comfortably next to the ILZ which is 40 degrees. The game world as it is fits an Arctic biome just fine.

Although ice floats... so, you know... it'd have to be that cold near the surface (unless you just wanted ice-lined caves.

Of course, according to science the open magma shouldn't be there in ILZ now should it?
    Avimimus wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Although ice floats... so, you know... it'd have to be that cold near the surface (unless you just wanted ice-lined caves.

Of course, according to science the open magma shouldn't be there in ILZ now should it?

Some other suggestions I've put forth are a somewhat enclosed biome a la a reverse island and a cave system with cold trap structure for ice caves that stretch out towards the water. Cold water below can also be used in combination with a Purple Brain Coral variant. I forgot the name, but there's a type of floating ice circles that are formed by frozen bubbles reaching the surface and bursting open. I quite like that idea, tbh. Right now, the only "creature foreshadowing" we have are rock-holding floaters for island-holding floaters. Could be something to have PBCs "foreshadow", hmm, White Brain Coral and this time it would be advised not to touch the bubbles unless you're out of air and got health to spare.

And yeah, pretty sure the ILZ and ALZ aren't scientificially possible and someone already ranted about the Sea Dragon once. And that's saying nothing of the patchwork structure of the biomes. I think my general stance is that science in a game like Subnautica should be an inspiration far more than a justification.