POV/Perspective Issue - Creatures and structures, bigger than they look. [Spoilers, I guess]

2»

Comments

• ANGRYABOUTELVESANGRYABOUTELVES WITHIN AND BEYOND ALL THRESHOLDS Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207174Members
    edited January 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    IIRC from playing a few days ago NS2 has an FOV adjustment, so maybe Subnautica will too (I hope).
    I share that hope. If a game doesn't have a way to adjust the FOV through an in-game menu, it's not a complete game IMO. Subnautica is still in development, but I feel very strongly that easily adjustable FOV is a requirement for any finished game. Console commands and INI files don't count.
  • HenningHenning Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230815Members
    edited June 2017
    This has been the single most dissapointing thing for me, and (IMO) a missed oppurtunity. Part of the draw (for me at least) is the feeling of being dwarfed by giant alien wonders. I'm not an game dev by any means, but I guess the standard swimming speed might be a part of it. Your caracter is tiny compared to the size off, for example, a reefback. But, you can swim past it in a few seconds. You can almost keep pace with the sea emperors movements, even tho it's gigantic. Creating scale/perspective through camera-angles (like in Shadow of the Collosus etc.) is not an option. In first person the lack of 'depth of field', ajustive focus and periferal vicion of "real eyesight" make the illusion of scale quite tricky. You're looking at a flat screen; your brain "knows." It needs to bee fooled :) Somehow..
  • HenningHenning Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230815Members
  • EkksuEkksu Lost River Join Date: 2017-06-08 Member: 231016Members
    edited June 2017
    Just wanted to drop this here. Went to some places and messed with the FOV to see the difference. You can see it makes it closer to 3rd POV, but it also makes the game nigh unplayable.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    A lower FOV does seem desirable, just from those images, although obviously how hard it is to maintain awareness of your surroundings is the counterpoint to that.
    Tht's why I feel like a FOV slider won't be a fix, just sort of a band aid on the problem. One issue is the lack of reference - there isn't much besides us from IRL so it's hard to tell how big things actually are. Like, you'd assume Peepers were the size of a regular "Hey I caught this" fish, right? They're at the bottom of the food chain and you catch the little guys to cram down your face for a moderate amount of food.

Nope, they're about the size of your torso.
    latest?cb=20160731214543

That combined with the odd way the camera is placed and the overall wonky POV, it messes with the perspective something awful. It feels like I'm looking through a wide-lense camera or constantly looking at a panorama? It's hard to explain, but it's like a view that should be wrapped around a globe is laid out flat.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's easier to see if you climb into Lifepod 4 (the one that's upside down, floating) and drop stuff for size comparisons.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Ekksu wrote: »
    Tht's why I feel like a FOV slider won't be a fix, just sort of a band aid on the problem. One issue is the lack of reference - there isn't much besides us from IRL so it's hard to tell how big things actually are. Like, you'd assume Peepers were the size of a regular "Hey I caught this" fish, right? They're at the bottom of the food chain and you catch the little guys to cram down your face for a moderate amount of food.

latest?cb=20160731214543

That combined with the odd way the camera is placed and the overall wonky POV, it messes with the perspective something awful. It feels like I'm looking through a wide-lense camera or constantly looking at a panorama? It's hard to explain, but it's like a view that should be wrapped around a globe is laid out flat.

Bloody hell, and here I thought our player was going through an insane amount of food BEFORE I knew that. Something that size should feed a person for something like a week at least, assuming that at least some portion of it is inedible (bones, cartlige, some particularly unpleasant organs) but we eat what, two, three of them in a subnautica day? Even if we assume that the game is compressing time that the four or five minuets of daylight is actually more like 24 hours, that is INSANE. What kind of space tapeworm do we have?
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    [ Peepers are ] about the size of your torso.
    latest?cb=20160731214543
    But then you ready one in your hand and they are a lot smaller ?!?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    ...What kind of space tapeworm do we have?

The Carar.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    sayerulz wrote: »
    ...What kind of space tapeworm do we have?

The Carar.

That would go a long way towards explaining the hyperaggresive predator behavior, if they have the same infection. But that raises the question: where is all that energy going? Now, if I were writing a scifi, the vastly increased appetite would be a result of a accelerated metabolism, that granted superhuman strength and endurance, but that would just be stage one. Next would come mental instability and violent behavior, followed by total loss of self, becoming essentially an animal, then finally fully mutating into a kharra organism. But that doesn't seem to be what's going on since we have no discernable superhuman abilities other than hair that is not affected at all by being stuffed in a helmet or constant immersion in seawater.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    In a game where one of the coolest features is that you're a small person in a giant ocean filled with colossal sea monsters, I THINK THAT THE POV MIGHT JUST BE A BIT IMPORTANT
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    [ Peepers are ] about the size of your torso.
    latest?cb=20160731214543
    But then you ready one in your hand and they are a lot smaller ?!?

I was wondering that too... Maybe he has huge hands? Actually, if you've ever gotten the Cyclops glitch.... Well, he's apparently a giant.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited June 2017
    Easy explanation...

The Divers Mask has some kind of an Electronic, Magnifying-Glass Lens in it that makes it easier to see things at a distance, yet doesn't distort close up objects.

In other words..., Subnautic-nology

B)
  • GhoreGhore DE, USA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216642Members

latest?cb=20160731214543

I disagree about the FOV slider thing. It'd be nice to have the option, because judging by this thread it's clearly a noticeable issue, and some people would probably like to decrease the FOV for a more daunting experience. However, there are some like me who get very sick at FOVs lower than ~70. I think a slider would be better, but yes, it may be a camera placement problem.

Also keep in mind that it may have something to do with how the game's set up for VR, or how the player model isn't really finished and might be inaccurate.

All in all, hopefully things will feel better in the final version.
    Ghore wrote: »

latest?cb=20160731214543

I disagree about the FOV slider thing. It'd be nice to have the option, because judging by this thread it's clearly a noticeable issue, and some people would probably like to decrease the FOV for a more daunting experience. However, there are some like me who get very sick at FOVs lower than ~70. I think a slider would be better, but yes, it may be a camera placement problem.

Also keep in mind that it may have something to do with how the game's set up for VR, or how the player model isn't really finished and might be inaccurate.

All in all, hopefully things will feel better in the final version.

I agree that a slider would be nice to have! But it certainly isn't the fix to the issue entirely. changing the FOV just zooms in/zooms out which, while making the scale seem more accurate, also makes it hard to play due to being able to see exactly three feet in any direction. A combination of FOV slider and camera changing would be the only way to really fix it.