POLL: Crafting time

Comments

• CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    Some of the items that take really long to craft, the fabricator makes its sound for 2 seconds and then it is silent for the rest of the time, it needs sounds for the whole time it is crafting.
  • tokamstokams Las Maliborski Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221370Members
    Primeevi1 wrote: »
    a month in under a min or 2.
    Whats the difference if all the raw materials are in your base, you are stacked either way, I only prepare 2 or 3 fish at a time anyway, and water makes itself. I don't want crafting to become a chore.
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
    I don't mind. I spend the waiting time with harvesting ressources. So *shrugs*
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    The way it is right now you can make all the food and water you need for a month in under a min or 2. With a longer crafting time you wouldn't be making a months worth of food, you would only make what you need making it harder. You cant tell me the ability to instantly craft things is fair.

I'm unsure how fairness enters the picture. Fairness requires a comparison to someone else and this is a single player game.

Second, who cooks a month in advance? Early game it's impossible, you're already cooking and eating everything fairly quickly. Late game I keep 3 salted fish and three water bottles on me and the rest in a habitat/water filter. Making me sit and wait to make them is not making the game harder, just more boring. But if I have to wait to make them, I'm going to have to start having cooking marathons where I fill up a locker to stockpile, so I don't have to wait for cooking AND crafting when I'm between explorations.
  • Primeevi1Primeevi1 canada Join Date: 2016-08-09 Member: 221110Members
    I dont wanna argue over an opinion, and there is no difference if your just crafting what you need the whole point i'm making is that you couldn't just craft lockers full of food with out putting time into it.
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    I dont wanna argue over an opinion, and there is no difference if your just crafting what you need the whole point i'm making is that you couldn't just craft lockers full of food with out putting time into it.

Considering spoilage is a thing that is already pretty difficult. Personally I would have problems gathering all the salt needed for curing unless I went completely overkill with filtration machines and generators.
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members

I'm trying to understand, because you're trying to explain. Why do I need to put time into it? Why is that necessary? What does it add to the game besides boredom? How does it make things harder?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    To the OP - please explain why not wanting to wait is not a valid reason to dislike this idea? When you're playing a game like, say, Starcraft, build times have a purpose - they are balanced proportionally to the value/effectiveness of what you're building. So a marine takes way less time to build than a battlecruiser. It looks like they're implementing similar build times in Subnautica - it's already quicker to build a seamoth than a cyclops, and soon it will be quicker to make an early game tool than a late game tool... the question is why? It doesn't really add anything to the gameplay, and it doesn't need to be balanced like that. I gave an example in the other thread on this topic of Skyrim crafting (I picked Skyrim because it's a purely single-player game that many of us have probably played). If you had to spend actual game hours smithing a sword or a suit of armor no one would want to do it. Now we will HAVE to do it, and that's not really acceptable. Can we walk away and do other stuff? Sure. But why should we have to?

I'd be OK with a few extra seconds for advanced tools, like the cyclops doesn't just materialize instantly it takes several seconds to build, but no more than about 15 seconds. Getting into multiple minutes for build time is just aggravating.
  • waittimeisfailwaittimeisfail the grand reef of failure Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221382Members
    OK here's my take on it. Not everyone has all day to spend grinding away at something. Resource hunting is already becoming a bore and a chore with the laughably small inventory once you fill up with air tanks allowing longer dive times. Having to then wait minutes for things to be created for what reason? To keep people playing the game for longer? That's only a valid tactic for subscription based games where you want your players to remain in the game and playing it for longer.

I'd rather not end up desperately needing water only to find out my fabricator is only half way through building something. What would make more sense would be a cool down period where if you use the fabricator excessively you need to let it cool down. The more you use it, the longer the cool down up to a certain limit. I mean that's kind of how it works anyway if you build one in a base and have a single solar panel powering it, eventually after lots of crafting you run out of power.

Just my 2c and if it gets left in, I hope the cheat codes for spawning items gets left in too.
  • HartzVerHartzVer Germany Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221400Members
    Maybe you could introduce advanced fabricators ie. fabricator mk 1, 2, 3 and so on that reduce the crafting time. Or industrial fabricators. I mean you have a 3D printer in an escape pod to begin with... wouldnt it make sense to build advanced stuff in your base later on?
  • XadieXadie Germany Join Date: 2015-11-06 Member: 209020Members
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    You're gonna spend the 7 seconds between each and every titanium ingot out harvesting resources? Only craft a single item every time you return to base?

[...]

Seems like no matter how you do it, you're ultimately going to be sitting around waiting for the crafter timer to run down.

You don't need to leave base to harvest resources. On these short timers I either do inventory management or tend my gardens.

If you're so concerned about waiting times place another fabricator and you can produce stuff simultaneously.

Problem fixed. :smiley:
  • Wandering_MageWandering_Mage Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221303Members
    The way it is right now you can make all the food and water you need for a month in under a min or 2. With a longer crafting time you wouldn't be making a months worth of food, you would only make what you need making it harder. You cant tell me the ability to instantly craft things is fair.

Who does that? Why do you have to ever do that? Early game you use everything up so fast, mid game you make it as you need it, or make a stockpile. Or I just have a planter with a lantern tree in my base/cyclops and carry a few salted things for deeper exploration. Stockpiling food like that even with instant crafting is a waste of time itself. You have to build all the storage for that too. And lets say I do. What super advantage did I get over making as needed? A little convenience, which is a reward of spending all that time to make a stockpile that big. And again, lantern trees.

Fairness isn't a factor at all. Who is it being unfair to? It is a single player game. Even if it wasn't, everyone would be able to do the exact same thing. So ya, I can tell you it is fair, but it is more accurate to say fairness isn't a quality of the situation at all.
    Xadie wrote: »
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    You're gonna spend the 7 seconds between each and every titanium ingot out harvesting resources? Only craft a single item every time you return to base?

[...]

Seems like no matter how you do it, you're ultimately going to be sitting around waiting for the crafter timer to run down.

You don't need to leave base to harvest resources. On these short timers I either do inventory management or tend my gardens.

If you're so concerned about waiting times place another fabricator and you can produce stuff simultaneously.

Problem fixed. :smiley:

Management isn't harvest. And once my inventory management is done? Inventory management isn't something always to be done and isn't greater than the amount of time this would take.

Having a fabricator tied up I can live with, just build another. But I don't want to sit around waiting. That's not enjoyable. Also, I like to tend to the task at hand. I gather all the materials I need so that I can craft my goals. I don't want to run off in the middle of that.
  • HexivaHexiva The Inactive Lava Zone Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219670Members
    Not a fan of this feature. The fabricator's speed seems pretty low on the list of unrealistic factors in the game, and it seems pretty high on the list of important usability features. All this does is add extra dead space to the game. This is the kind of change that could really kill the game for me.

I'll say what I said in the other thread: realism in a game should not outweigh playability.
  • ChaostosChaostos Latvia Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221403Members
    Cheers. Subbed to vote and so I voted. If there are timers - keep them to minimum please and best of everything to developers ! Love NS2 and this game.
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    edited August 2016
    I am impressed.

I was expecting the Two Vs One handicap match of "Two for KEEPING timers, One for No timers", to split the vote too much for our voices to be heard.

Instead, "No Timers" has more than both combined. Commence Punch Out Music!

Anyways. This game just straight up does not have a robust enough crafting end to even deserve such timers. With them removing terraforming in the near future, crafting/building will have even less emphasis than before.

There is so little to go around for crafting as it is, that they are gating the only basic room that we have. Because there isn't anything else TO gate, but hallways. And they don't even give us any way to put air in them to start with, since we have to go and scan solar panels.

That's how bare bones crafting in this game is. That your undersea survival base defaults are "Air sold separately". IKIEA furniture is as hard to unlock as a nuclear reactor. Does that make Nuclear Reactors too easy to unlock, or beds too hard to unlock?

There is so many legit impressive things about this game. A robust crafting/building system sadly, is not one of them. And adding timers to them just hurts it, because there is no infrastructure of mechanics to make such timers meaningful. Not beyond any token "LOL go do something else I guess!" or insulting people because they think comparing their video game to microwave timers is insulting for such a promising game.

Subnautica is not a smartphone app timer game. Subnautica is better than that, and does not need to try and pad things out with superfluous timers. It is cool enough to stand on it's own without holding progress hostage with a clock. Three seconds, three minutes, either way is an insult to the hard work the Devs put into the rest of the game. Implying it is not worth your time, unless they MAKE you take extra time.
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    edited August 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    I'm extremely surprised how many people are in the "yes" camp. Coming from that other thread I really felt like a minority. Guess not.
    Manufacturing a false consensus by vote brigading and dog piling (with and without fake accounts) isn't that uncommon on the internet.

I even got my very own fanboy, who went through all my posts to put a disagree on every single one of them. So much effort, just to be petty.

Wow, he even disagreed with what you named your Cyclops. That's just rude. I think that thread really just **** the numbers of some of our profiles, cause it makes you look like someone nobody likes.

I had somebody disagree with my post saying "So I noticed you are the only one disagreeing with every single one of my posts, as of now".
  • DoctorFudgeDoctorFudge Rhode Island Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221413Members
    I had a little idea. Why not look into making it so that after the Aurora detonates, the Fabricator on the Life Pod begins to "malfunction", and afterwards that particular fabricator is the only one with the crazy long wait times?

I feel like this would encourage players to leave the comfort of the Life Pod as quickly as possible if this were the case.
  • shadowstitchshadowstitch nunaya Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221355Members
    I don't appreciate games wasting my time. If this change sticks around, I'm just going to stop playing Subnautica.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Subnautica, I can see excessive mandatory crafting wait times making this unplayable for me as well.
    I'm not going to sit on my hands and wait 2 minutes for a tool to print. No thanks. If this addition makes it to Stable without the option to disable it, I'm going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of the game.

Chucklefish decided to spontaneously introduce crafting wait times in Starbound (for similarly "molecular printed" items, no less) and it was not well received. So of course a mod was quickly released that removed the crafting timers entirely.
    I had a little idea. Why not look into making it so that after the Aurora detonates, the Fabricator on the Life Pod begins to "malfunction", and afterwards that particular fabricator is the only one with the crazy long wait times?

I feel like this would encourage players to leave the comfort of the Life Pod as quickly as possible if this were the case.

People find the Life Pod comfortable? I want out of it as fast as possible. Waterproof lockers for storage space are really annoying.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We've decided to reduce crafting times. You'll see this in the next experimental update in about 45 mins from this post. Please leave your constructive...(get it)...feedback :smile: