POLL: Crafting time

Comments

• ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    All those mint accounts only made to vote here make the validity of this poll highly dubious, no matter which way it will turn out.

I'm one of those new accounts. I'm a lurker on many boards. I felt strongly enough about this to create an account, just to vote in this poll. I've submitted bugs and opinions in game, but this was a divisive and disruptive enough change to gameplay for me to participate in a poll like this that might sway devs. The changes so far that I've seen have been positive, or minor enough inconveniences that they don't break the gameplay. I feel that this will indeed break the gameplay. That's why I've created an account for this poll.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I'm extremely surprised how many people are in the "yes" camp. Coming from that other thread I really felt like a minority. Guess not.
    Manufacturing a false consensus by vote brigading and dog piling (with and without fake accounts) isn't that uncommon on the internet.

I even got my very own fanboy, who went through all my posts to put a disagree on every single one of them. So much effort, just to be petty.

Wow, he even disagreed with what you named your Cyclops. That's just rude. I think that thread really just fucked the numbers of some of our profiles, cause it makes you look like someone nobody likes.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I'm extremely surprised how many people are in the "yes" camp. Coming from that other thread I really felt like a minority. Guess not.
    Manufacturing a false consensus by vote brigading and dog piling (with and without fake accounts) isn't that uncommon on the internet.

I even got my very own fanboy, who went through all my posts to put a disagree on every single one of them. So much effort, just to be petty.

Wow, he even disagreed with what you named your Cyclops. That's just rude. I think that thread really just **** the numbers of some of our profiles, cause it makes you look like someone nobody likes.

This is hilarious. I just checked my account and 90% of my "disagrees" come from the same 4 or 5 people on every single post I made in that other thread.

Not that I care, but it's telling.

I find the agree/disagree system pretty pointless and inflammatory, this is the reason Facebook never made the "dislike" feature.

Wow, he even disagreed with what you named your Cyclops. That's just rude. I think that thread really just **** the numbers of some of our profiles, cause it makes you look like someone nobody likes.

This is hilarious. I just checked my account and 90% of my "disagrees" come from the same 4 or 5 people on every single post I made in that other thread.

I find the agree/disagree system pretty pointless and inflammatory, this is the reason Facebook never made the "dislike" feature.

Same for me. There's some merit to it to see if people like certain posts, but I see 0 reason to keep track of it on your profile.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Realism in regards to time is already thrown out the window in this game unless you start making night and day take many real hours instead of the time it takes now.

Realism is a sliding scale, not black and white. (The day/night cycle needs to be made longer, and I hope it will be in the future.)
    Also, what about when you are working on a big crafting project and you have to process tons of materials? That already takes a significantly notable amount of time, even just doubling the time from current would make that ridiculous.

This is exactly what needs to happen. I don't know why you would claim "takes a significantly notable amount of time"...
    Even on my very first play through I remember being amazed at how fast I had a base and Seamoth.

Currently the immediacy with which you can craft an entire base, be self sufficient, and be half way towards a cyclops is absurd. 3 hours with a little meta-gaming knowledge and you can experience crafting every single thing possible at the moment.

If you aren't willing to see this based on realism (which is always going to be a pointless discussion anyway, it's the dev's game, not ours... though it's a massive weight behind the mod support argument) then how about play through length?
    If you can experience everything (sans perhaps seeing every biome in detail, exploring every cave etc.) the game has to offer in a mere few hours, where's the enticement for a second play through?

As the game currently stands, the end-game scenario would have to be 10+ hours long to get a 15 hour length rating on HLTB.
    edited August 2016

Yes. That's a mean thing to do. But why post it here except as a character attack? These posts are hardly on topic.
    edited August 2016
    Realism in regards to time is already thrown out the window in this game unless you start making night and day take many real hours instead of the time it takes now.

Realism is a sliding scale, not black and white. (The day/night cycle needs to be made longer, and I hope it will be in the future.)

While realism can be a sliding scale, this fabricator doesn't exist in real life. There's no real life comparison to make, except maybe 3D printers, which are getting faster all the time. Realism doesn't come into play because it's already off the scale.

The comparison I make in my head is to Star Trek teleporters, which are a similar speed to what the fabricators were originally. They deconstruct something, and then construct something, particle by particle.
    Also, what about when you are working on a big crafting project and you have to process tons of materials? That already takes a significantly notable amount of time, even just doubling the time from current would make that ridiculous.

This is exactly what needs to happen. I don't know why you would claim "takes a significantly notable amount of time"...
    Even on my very first play through I remember being amazed at how fast I had a base and Seamoth.

Currently the immediacy with which you can craft an entire base, be self sufficient, and be half way towards a cyclops is absurd. 3 hours with a little meta-gaming knowledge and you can experience crafting every single thing possible at the moment.

If you aren't willing to see this based on realism (which is always going to be a pointless discussion anyway, it's the dev's game, not ours... though it's a massive weight behind the mod support argument) then how about play through length?
    If you can experience everything (sans perhaps seeing every biome in detail, exploring every cave etc.) the game has to offer in a mere few hours, where's the enticement for a second play through?

As the game currently stands, the end-game scenario would have to be 10+ hours long to get a 15 hour length rating on HLTB.

Artificially lengthening the game by adding wait time doesn't add fun.
    Thosar wrote: »
    While realism can be a sliding scale, this fabricator doesn't exist in real life. There's no real life comparison to make, except maybe 3D printers, which are getting faster all the time. Realism doesn't come into play.

Sure it does. When you're talking about realism in this context, what you really mean is "suspension of disbelief."
    And for many players, it's much easier to grasp the small suspension of disbelief with regards to a fabricator taking a while when compared with the huge suspension of disbelief when a fabricator is almost instantaneous.

z8c54zsd7f9e.jpg
    edited August 2016

z8c54zsd7f9e.jpg

Indeed it is. However, you can wait if you want to, even if the devs don't make you. I can't skip the wait if the devs make me wait.
    While realism can be a sliding scale, this fabricator doesn't exist in real life. There's no real life comparison to make, except maybe 3D printers, which are getting faster all the time. Realism doesn't come into play.

Sure it does. When you're talking about realism in this context, what you really mean is "suspension of disbelief."
    And for many players, it's much easier to grasp the small suspension of disbelief with regards to a fabricator taking a while when compared with the huge suspension of disbelief when a fabricator is almost instantaneous.

And describing one suspension of disbelief as small, and the other as huge...
    z8c54zsd7f9e.jpg
    Yeah, exactly, that's kind of my point. :/

Indeed it is. However, you can wait if you want to, even if the devs don't make you. I can't skip the wait if the devs make me wait.
    Well, sometimes there's going to be choices you don't get to make. Such is life.

Well, sometimes there's going to be choices you don't get to make. Such is life.

Life is indeed that way. That's why I play games. Escapism.
    edited August 2016

And since the game is being made in real life, the choice of whether to have the timer (and thus the wait) or not isn't ours.
    edited August 2016

And since the game is being made in real life, the choice of whether to have the timer (and thus the wait) or not isn't ours.

Agreed.
    However.
    1. I can still make my voice heard.
    2. The devs can accommodate more people by eliminating the timer, because as I've said, you can still wait if you want to, even if they don't implement the timer. Without the timer, the people who want to wait and are of the opinion that waiting is fun can wait, and the people who are of the opinion that waiting isn't fun, don't have to. And accommodating the most people makes them a more popular developer, and popularity increases profits.

You're right. The choice is out of my hands. Doesn't mean I can't do my best to influence it.

Agreed.
    However.
    2. The devs can accommodate more people by eliminating the timer, because as I've said, you can still wait if you want to, even if they don't implement the timer. Without the timer, the people who want to wait and are of the opinion that waiting is fun can wait, and the people who are of the opinion that waiting isn't fun, don't have to. And accommodating the most people makes them a more popular developer, and popularity increases profits.

I personally think there just needs to be an option to tweak when you make the save. Like in Space/Medieval Engineers. You can tweak how long things take from REALLY long to nearly instant. Also, I don't believe the people campaigning for it think waiting is fun. We can just see certain benefits it can add. But some don't see them as benefits, and that's fine. Just give us the option to tweak it to our liking.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Ok, I am tired of these arguments about this feature. I no longer give a damn what the devs decide. Its their game, they can do what they want, I am fine either way. I am only saying we should give this idea a shot.

Agreed.
    However.

I personally think there just needs to be an option to tweak when you make the save. Like in Space/Medieval Engineers. You can tweak how long things take from REALLY long to nearly instant. Also, I don't believe the people campaigning for it think waiting is fun. We can just see certain benefits it can add. But some don't see them as benefits, and that's fine. Just give us the option to tweak it to our liking.

That's probably the best road at this point, considering the split in the community.

Agreed.
    However.

I think this is absolutely right. If they want to implement timers then make it optional, so everyone's a winner.

Agreed.
    However.

That's probably the best road at this point, considering the split in the community.

Agreed.
    However.

I think this is absolutely right. If they want to implement timers then make it optional, so everyone's a winner.

szojbz6245iw.jpg
    In case anyone hasn't played either of those, this is what that menu looks like.
    Ok, I am tired of these arguments about this feature. I no longer give a damn what the devs decide. Its their game, they can do what they want, I am fine either way. I am only saying we should give this idea a shot.

Regardless of what happens, this divide is never going to completely heal. Either the pro-timer crowd will be disappointed, the anti-timer crowd is going to be disappointed, or (least disappointing) the timer option will be implemented, and people will still argue over which one is better.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    the split in the community.
    Exaggerating much?
  • Jim_Jim_ Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219811Members
    I think crafting times could eventually be a good game mechanic. It would add some strategy to when you build stuff.

However, as it is now, it falls flat. The times are short enough to be an inconvenience, but not long enough to be a major problem or alter strategy.

It's a hassle with no with no real gameplay benefits at the moment.
  • EreiErei Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221324Members
    edited August 2016
    All those mint accounts only made to vote here make the validity of this poll highly dubious, no matter which way it will turn out.

I'm one of those new accounts. I'm a lurker on many boards. I felt strongly enough about this to create an account, just to vote in this poll. I've submitted bugs and opinions in game, but this was a divisive and disruptive enough change to gameplay for me to participate in a poll like this that might sway devs. The changes so far that I've seen have been positive, or minor enough inconveniences that they don't break the gameplay. I feel that this will indeed break the gameplay. That's why I've created an account for this poll.
    New account to, I'm a new player since about a month. My vote is just as valid as anyone else.

Voted no. The game is unrealistic as it is, not to mention we have no idea how a nano fabricator would work, and how long it takes to build something from it. Also, it doesn't add any kind of interesting gameplay mechanic, just tedium. If you enjoy so much waiting, then you can always pretend crafting takes whatever amount of time you like. Me ? I don't want to wait several minutes alt tabbing everytime I want to craft something.

BTW, for everyone screaming for realism, here is a non exhaustive unrealistic things of the game :
    -night and day WAY too fast. The planet spin like crazy.
    -night and day not equal in length. I guess spinning that fast makes you want to slow down from time to time.
    -can't make glass out of sand, which is very likely to be quartz.
    -I can't take a teeth from a dead stalker. I need to let him drop it. In a next update, you'll have to ask politely.
    -pretty much no minerals behave or look like that IRL. If you see quartz that look like the one ingame, that's not quartz. And don't say that's an alien planet, quartz is the same everywhere in the universe. Quartz was an example, I mean, I don't think there is a single mineral which is accurate in the game.
    -water being almost always the same temperature.
    -light under 1km. In real life, that's forever darkness. The fact that's an alien planet doesn't change some elementary physical laws.
    -using diamond to enhance a knife ? How does that even work ? Just a reminder, diamond is pure carbon, same atomic composition than graphite (the stuff pencil lead are made of), so that's not at the atomic level. That's just doesn't make sense.
    -So many biomes in such a small area, how is that even possible ?
    -a very small area surrounded by... the void. The Aurora was very lucky, I guess.
    -floating island. Cool looking place and everything, but yeah...
    -no decompression and anything related. Not that I would enjoy spending hours in a decompression chamber ingame (or RL for that matter).
    -I can build a giant base, with only one "tube" connected to the ground, yet, it will not break. I know, I did it.
    -I can run on the ground with fins on my feet.
    -no fall damage
    -I can repair some kind of nuclear reactor (radiation) with a wielder.

Ok that one was the first I saw, and it made me smile.
    -this celestial body in the sky is way too big, unless we are on a small moon of a big celestial body (see Jupiter's moons), but then, where are the massive tides ? Where are the massive geological and gravitational effect ?

But yeah, I guess adding absolutely arbitrary crafting time on how long a piece of hardware yet to be invented takes to create stuff is realism. Top priority.
    Exaggerating much?

Yeah. This legit split the community more than weapons has, which is odd, because a lot of people who argued for weapons stating that its more realistic to have weapons are saying we shouldn't have timers because realism doesn't make things better. I'm gonna be honest, and I'm sorry if this offends some people because I'm sure I'll get much hate. This seems less like realism and more like people wanting an easier game.
    Exaggerating much?

Yeah. This legit split the community more than weapons has, which is odd, because a lot of people who argued for weapons stating that its more realistic to have weapons are saying we shouldn't have timers because realism doesn't make things better. I'm gonna be honest, and I'm sorry if this offends some people because I'm sure I'll get much hate. This seems less like realism and more like people wanting an easier game.

It has been explained earlier why we don't think timers make the game harder. Because you can just sit there waiting for things to complete. We just think it makes the game less fun. For the record, I have never claimed to be on the side of realism. (Though I do enjoy realistic physics when I can get them. Not a topic I want to get into in this thread though. There's good physics and bad physics both in this game in different places.)
    Exaggerating much?

It has been explained earlier why we don't think timers make the game harder. Because you can just sit there waiting for things to complete. We just think it makes the game less fun. For the record, I have never claimed to be on the side of realism. (Though I do enjoy realistic physics when I can get them. Not a topic I want to get into in this thread though. There's good physics and bad physics both in this game in different places.)

Its just my outlook on the situation. I know I'm not some omnipotent being. I'm just giving my take.
    It has been explained earlier why we don't think timers make the game harder.

Nobody has claimed it makes the game harder.

It has also been explained numerous times how "realism" is only part (and probably the least important part) of why people think the timer is good.

And yet it's all the anti-timer arguments talk about.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Why not just have crafting times for bulk crafting? Like assigning a large amount of scrap metal to turn into titanium?
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    edited August 2016

I wish this had been the stance taken by the individuals who complained until this "feature" was implemented. It turns out this wasn't just a dev decision, but the result of people complaining about something they didn't like - how it worked was, from all appearances, how they wanted it, and they changed it in response to player feedback.

So it's pretty ludicrous how insistent all of the pro-timer folks that we now give in to what the devs wants, considering the impetus for this worthless change was them complaining about what the devs wanted...

If you want to give the idea a shot, it's simple! Just do all of the things this change could possibly do (waiting, doing something else after each craft, whatever floats your boat). And leave the rest of us out of it...
    Nobody has claimed it makes the game harder.

Yes they did.