Creature Suggestion Thread! (Add Yours!)

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Hm. Although I have heard of the spike trap, I never looked it up. I would come up with something that's been done already. :(
  • rockboilerrockboiler Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221950Members
    Hmmm... how about the Vacuum Gaper?

The Vacuum Gaper is 2x larger than the Reef Back. It has a gaping wide mouth in which it sucks in anything that fits down its throat (hence the name). The Vacuum Gaper would be a spherical shape with a circular mouth with no teeth, it would also have a spider-esk bum in which it stores its food. It would have four tentacles that it uses to put creatures into its mouth, other than that it just floats around and does not swim unless absolutely necessary.

If you let the Vacuum Gaper swallow you, you will slowly start to die and a hud effect like when you are burning will appear but green like acid. If to get to the back you will find a bunch of open and closing holes that - with the drill arm on the Prawn - you can take. These will be Pumpers. The Pumpers are a separate creature that works with the Vacuum Gaper. It uses its opening and closing body to help the Vacuum Gaper suck in its prey. The Pumper can then sap energy and nutrients from the Vacuum Gaper's blood. Other than that, you can find randomly generated items in the belly, including eggs, creatures, scrap metal and occasionally PDAs. There will also be a story driven Vacuum Gaper which has a Life Pod in its belly with PDAs on what happened.

To get eggs of the Vacuum Gaper you must go into the belly and on the ceiling of the belly you will find huge eggs hanging. These eggs you cannot hold in your inventory but must carry home. While carrying you cannot hold anything else in your hands. You can either place one of these eggs in a normal creature containment unit to get a miniature version of the Vacuum Gaper which you can harvest for acid as an alternate way to obtain batteries etc. or you can place them in a large creature containment unit which is a seperate building which is large enough to hold about three full sized reaper leviathans. This unit can be used to tame creatures, or for harvesting them differently. If the Vacuum Gaper egg is placed in a large creature containment unit, when fully grown (yet still not as big as a natural Vacuum Gaper) can be tamed and used as a sort of fishing net for fish and items or it can be used as an infinite source of Vacuum Gaper eggs, acid and Pumpers.

Later on, when you meet the larger leviathans, you can find Vacuum Gaper-like creatures sucking on them like leeches or bloodsuckers, these are Leech Gapers which are slightly smaller and will slowly kill the leviathans. You can tame these to make an army in which you can use to wage war against the leviathans and hopefully destroy them. They are pretty much the same as Vacuum Gapers except smaller as in you have to go inside to get eggs, etc. Leech Gapers are a fainter floater-pink whereas Vacuum Gapers are a greyish-blue.

Using the Pumpers you can:

- Create a Cyclops Suction Upgrade Module which allows you to suck in items and fish to put in storage placed in it (or if all storage is full/there is no storage it will go directly into the inventory of the player). If wall lockers are used then certain labels will only store certain items. If you have a fish tank it will store fish in there, and the sucker is controlled by activating cameras and going to a new camera in which you move forwards and back using scroll and look and turn using the mouse. You can press f to drop items directly out of the Cyclops too.
    - Create a Prawn Suit Vacuum Arm which does pretty much the same as the Cyclops Suction Upgrade except instead of just dropping items with f you can shoot them out with f, this also doubles as a torpedo bay but you must have the torpedoes in your inventory or the Prawn's storage.
    - Take eggs from them by hitting them with the knife in which you can use to grow your own Pumpers. These can be tamed to help you move fast through the ocean as they will push you forwards when pressing shift. They can also be used to get out of a Vacuum Gaper straight away, but you will lose the Pumper.
    - Create a Cormorant vehicle (A Cormorant is a bird that can dive down to about 200m to catch fish!) which doubles as a shallow water submarine and a flying vehicle to get to places faster than any other vehicle. The Cormorant comes with various upgrades including its own Suction upgrade, a speed upgrade, a height upgrade and a wind energy upgrade which allows for charging all items in the players inventory while flying. The Cormorant will also be compatible with the common upgrades that both the Prawn and Seamoth can use. The Cormorant will be slightly larger than the Seamoth and contain a storage on either side of 4x5 without upgrades. It will also be created using a Propeller which can be used to create both the Wind Energy Power Generator and the Current Energy Power Generator.
    - Finally, the pumper can be used to create a Vacuum suit which, when equipped, allows you to change your buoyancy and depth by pressing - and +. When pressing plus, you will get lighter and start floating upwards using helium. The more you press plus the faster you will float. This does not allow you to float in the air and at maximum buoyancy you won't be able to swim as your suit will be like a flipping balloon. When you press minus you will start to get heavier and drift to the bottom. At maximum weight, you will have a depth of 1000 and will not be able to jump, you will fall just slightly slower than you fall in the air. Changing the helium capacity of your suit will use up 1 oxygen, no matter which way you use it.
    - Also, with the vehicle upgrades, you can grab larger creatures but they will block the vacuum and stay on the end of it, this can be used to shoot creatures far away or will just be an obstacle that you need to get rid of in order to continue sucking.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Rock Boiler-A creature that lives in a cold environment. It applies great heat to a surface using its natural body heat. It than uses this new hot rock to lure in prey seeking warmth. It than hides and gets the pounce on its victim. Avoid glowing red rocks in cold environments, these are the lure rocks. The creature will try to attack you.
  • rockboilerrockboiler Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221950Members
    Rock Boiler-A creature that lives in a cold environment. It applies great heat to a surface using its natural body heat. It than uses this new hot rock to lure in prey seeking warmth. It than hides and gets the pounce on its victim. Avoid glowing red rocks in cold environments, these are the lure rocks. The creature will try to attack you.

Nice! That would work well in the ice biome that they were planning on introducing. I came up with this design for the creature, which I called the Iceel but I don't know how to upload it can anyone tell me? Anyway, I'll talk about uses and stuff.

The Iceel, a close cousin of the Crabsnake, is a white eel that lives in the Ice Biome. It is just slight taller (length ways) than a human and slightly smaller than the Cabsnake. The Iceel lives in about 200-300m deep. It's not as big as its cousin the Crabsnake because the Crabsnake lives much deeper and carries much more armour to protect itself from predators that the Iceel doesn't have as it lives in a freezing cold area. The Iceel is gives off extreme heat and you will burn if near, this is so it can keep warm in the cool environment. The Iceel uses a large bulge on the end of its tail to direct heat towards objects, it can use this to create a way to attract prey looking for heat, in particular, the Pipefish. When its prey is near, the Iceel jumps from a nearby hiding spot and attack its prey.

The Iceel's eggs also come from the Iceel's backside. The eggs have an adjustable temperature that appeals to the creature inside. On touch, the egg will burn you so you must where the heat resistant suit to not get hurt and return safely to your home. The eggs can be used to create several heat-based items, or can be placed in a creature containment unit or large creature containment unit. When tamed, Iceels will fight for you and keep you warm in the ice biome. If several are tamed, you can have them swim around a Thermal Plant to supply energy for your base.

Iceel eggs can be used for:

- Creating Radiators. Radiators are used to keep your base warm in icy environments, you can survive in icy environments for a while but will eventually freeze up, radiators tackle that and allow you to get warm again in your base. The radiators heat up rooms with a radius of 5, so every room around the room with a radiator in that is within 5 rooms will be heated.
    - Creating the Scald. The Scalder is a weapon that can be used to burn or scald other creatures or destroy flora quickly. On land, it is a flamethrower, in water it just heats up the water in front of you which creates bubbles.
    - Attracting Pipefish. Pipefish, the prey of Iceel, are attracted to any heat source, including your base (with radiators in it), magma, lures created by the Iceel, etc. They are also attracted to the Iceel's eggs.

Pipefish:

The Pipefish is an edible fish, about the same size as any of the other edible fish. The Pipefish is also white with a pipe-like mouth. It uses heat from anywhere it can find to warm itself up, but it also sucks on heated rocks or eggs for warmth and nutrients. It uses what it sucks up to heat up it's body. The Pipefish likes to go up to Iceel eggs and suck on them, tearing apart the egg and sucking in the baby inside. This means that Pipefish are the predator of baby Iceel and eggs. Iceel have to protect their newborn from Pipefish while also hunting them! You must keep Pipefish away from thermal plants as they will suck on them and take away heat and energy. However, if you are using a thermal plant in the middle of the ice biome, either you have Iceel swimming around it and guarding it or it doesn't work anyway!
  • ScrabquidScrabquid Germany Join Date: 2016-09-05 Member: 222092Members
    edited September 2016
    I would like to see more small to medium (roughly rabbitraysize) sized fauna not neccesarily hostile to add more variation in different dephts, creatures like the vampire squid, dragonfish, anglerfish, and a hell lot of different jellyfish to populate the deeper regions. they wouldn't even be that hard to tweak with the designs because lets face it almost all actual deepsea creatures do look like they come from the other end of the galaxy and in some way they actualy do, considdering their habitat.

(edit) oh oh...I almost forgot Ammonites. I would love to encounter Ammonites.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Bubble Crab-Creates a bubble out of a water resistant substance and uses the bubble to travel and defend itself.
  • Depth46Depth46 Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222167Members
    Some crazy ideas here!

I was think maybe we need a stealth fish that can change its transpancy like those lizards do! Maybe call it ghost Ray or something
  • ChickenlyChickenly Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222188Members
    cg8Lkw5.png

Decided to doodle some super quick designs after I noticed the distinct lack of fauna on the Floater Island. You can see the designs in the spoiler, and I've posted some potential PDA entries below.

Glizard [Based off of the Gliding Lizard, obviously].

1. Coloration helps it blend in very well with the foliage of the island.
    2. Capable of gliding short distances using the flaps of skin across it's body.
    3. Their bones are hollow, which makes the lightweight and lets them glide much easier.

Assessment: Edible, but not very sustainable.

Flye

1. Flyes lay their eggs deep underground, where they attach themselves to the roots of plants and absorb the nutrients. A year later, they emerge as adults, mate, and die within a week.
    2. Despite having an eye that is very large in comparison to the rest of it's body, it can't see very well.
    3. Easy to catch and high in protein.

Assessment: Annoying, but edible and an important part of the ecosystem.

Seafrog

1. Amphibious, spend their time both on the island and in the waters surrounding.
    2. Tongue is covered in sharp spines, likely evolved as a defense mechanism against Camingoes and other predators.
    3. If a potential threat comes near, the Seafrog will stick out it's vibrant red tongue slightly as a warning. Getting any closer will result in it attacking.

Assessment: Observe at a distance.

Camingo

1. Omnivorous, though it's favorite food items appear to be Glizards and the sludge within Grub Baskets.
    2. Spends most of the day in one area, standing completely still and waiting for prey to come close. At night, they roam the island.
    3. Will peck anything that comes too close, including other Camingoes. Their sharp beak is something to stay away from.
    4. Can fly, but not very well.

Assessment: Avoid

• CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    Chickenly wrote: »
    cg8Lkw5.png

Decided to doodle some super quick designs after I noticed the distinct lack of fauna on the Floater Island. You can see the designs in the spoiler, and I've posted some potential PDA entries below.
    [
    Glizard [Based off of the Gliding Lizard, obviously].

1. Coloration helps it blend in very well with the foliage of the island.
    2. Capable of gliding short distances using the flaps of skin across it's body.
    3. Their bones are hollow, which makes the lightweight and lets them glide much easier.

Assessment: Edible, but not very sustainable.

Flye

1. Flyes lay their eggs deep underground, where they attach themselves to the roots of plants and absorb the nutrients. A year later, they emerge as adults, mate, and die within a week.
    2. Despite having an eye that is very large in comparison to the rest of it's body, it can't see very well.
    3. Easy to catch and high in protein.

Assessment: Annoying, but edible and an important part of the ecosystem.

Seafrog

1. Amphibious, spend their time both on the island and in the waters surrounding.
    2. Tongue is covered in sharp spines, likely evolved as a defense mechanism against Camingoes and other predators.
    3. If a potential threat comes near, the Seafrog will stick out it's vibrant red tongue slightly as a warning. Getting any closer will result in it attacking.

Assessment: Observe at a distance.

Camingo

1. Omnivorous, though it's favorite food items appear to be Glizards and the sludge within Grub Baskets.
    2. Spends most of the day in one area, standing completely still and waiting for prey to come close. At night, they roam the island.
    3. Will peck anything that comes too close, including other Camingoes. Their sharp beak is something to stay away from.
    4. Can fly, but not very well.

Assessment: Avoid

@Chickenly Wow those are really impressive for sketches. I especially like the Glizard! :p
    Great sketches @Chickenly! My favourite is the Camingo.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    A crab the size of a sand shark that eats metal and lead and poops uranium crystals so uranium recycling
    @ReaverMachete, could you add a variants segment or are you just going to add variants to their respective lists (i.e. Fauna, Flora)? I've got a few variant ideas that I would like to share and just wanted to know if you were going to add another list.
  • 747snoodles747snoodles United States Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222259Members
    A small animal that lives in holes in the rocks, if you get close it scuttled back to safety, only way to scan it is it you time freeze it
    @747snoodles, I think you mean Stasis Rifle it.
    As I said earlier, I have a few variant ideas. So im just going to post one as an example (I'm going to include one for both fauna and flora):
    Fauna: Lava Puncher: ILZ/ALZ variant of Rock Puncher. Differences include new colour scheme, different PDA entry and veins of what appears to be lava running over its back and up its punchers
    Flora: Lava-Shroom: ILZ/ALZ variant of acid mushroom. Black base and orange top, veins of lava run through the black. (Not actually lava)
    These are just 2 of the many variant ideas I have!
    PS: Your welcome for reviving the thread!
    Ball fruit =fruit that grows in shape of balls on sides of a tree that gives protein and sweet taste of fruit a popular genetic made fruit used as candy in the galaxy
    Smoker- A plant that grows around smoke stacks. The plan sucks up the smoke and ash from the stacks and feeds on the tiny microbes in the smoke or on ash. It than funnels out the ash out of a whole on the top. Sometimes it will spit out extra ash or even a bit of fire because of internal combustion.
    Sinker-Sinks anything it attaches to. (Basically opposite of Floater, dont add the text in brackets)
    (Another Variant, Fauna) Lost Peeper-A peeper that lives in the Lost River Biome.
    (variant, Fauna) Lost Boomerang-Boomerang that lives in the Lost river biome
    Bone Biter- A variant of the biter that lives in the lost river biome. Its underside is partially see-through. Dwells near the rib-cage of the skeleton.
    Thanks man o and to help you out yes lots of animals in the ocean live in/on volcanic smoke stacks kinda colony thing
  • Jennie_TaliaJennie_Talia USA Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210807Members
    I'd like to see the developers expand on the smaller fish. Peepers and Garryfish are cool and all, but in a real-life reef, there are thousands of species of fish swimming around. While I don't expect a thousand new fish models before the final release, it would be amazing to see them expand on the smaller fish. All these larger sea monster type fish are gonna have to have something to eat (or at least what they eat is going to have to have something to eat [that made sense]). Just do a quick google images search for "ocean fish" and look at all the inspiration. Think of the possibilities (but also think of the framerate....yeesh...)!
    Unknown-A fish that lives in the void eating anything that comes into its territory. (This creature would solve every bodies want for a creature in the void)
    (Variant) Grand Reef Back-An even bigger version of the Reef Back. This Reef Back has special fauna and flora living on it.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    I always liked art to back up a post.
    Can someone clarify this for me; will reef backs have different biomes on their backs or will it just be one pre-set biome. What I mean is will reef backs have different biomes on them instead of just one biome for all to share.
    Does anybody think that any of these will even be added into the game. 'Cause the sad truth is that none of these will be added or even have a chance to be considered :'( .