Crafting speed

1234568»

Comments

• GarzhadGarzhad Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221442Members
    edited August 2016
    Unfortunately this got rolled back from the hack, but I believe Obraxis made a post about this saying "I made that card, I thought it was too OP, the playtester made a joke after the fact, etc." So the lantern fruit is no huge conspiracy. Take off the tinfoil hat.

Never said it was a nwo conspiracy. Just that it seemed, from that exchange, that they have preferential feedback that, from that exchange, seemed like they were using to push their own vision of how things should be for the game. A wrong assumption, given light of recent discoveries, but im far from the only one led to think that, especially from the steam forums.

So yeah, I never saw Obraxis' post about it. Still doesn't change that the assertion that lantern fruits were 'OP' is false. And I say this despite not relying on them myself at all. I prefer quaffing 3 melons and a vegetable, knifing a fourth melon and replanting. With the stillsuit, its all I need right in the cyclops. If your problem is turning the Cyclops into a permanent base for whatever reason then make the gardens passively consume power(via grow lights, obviously, since without grow lights technically those plants wouldn't grow Anyway) and fix the bug with being able to recharge powercells faster than the Cyclops' own are depleted(which is physically impossible, you can't charge something with more energy than is available to charge it with) Boom. Now we have to periodically return to a dedicated Seabase with power sources and power cell chargers to resupply.

With the purported changes to it(5F,3W) lantern fruits are now more worthless than spore sacks, since at least spore sacks, despite their laughable food/water content, have a future use in aerogel.
  • Demiurge4Demiurge4 Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221460Members
    So I'm another one of those newly minted members who really just signed up to talk about crafting timers and throw in my two cents. I think crafting timers hurt the flow of the game because they were added with no real explanation or any other feature related to crafting. They are both too short and too long, let me explain why.

Crafting in many games involve making tools and ostensibly this is what we're doing in Subnautica, creating better tools and upgrading our basic gear. In other games the time it takes to craft something is extrapolated into processing the resources necessary to make your tool but Subnautica has no such process besides scrap to titanium, kelp to fiber, fruit to lubricant etc. What this means is that all of the time invested creating a tool in Subnautica has already been spent acquiring the necessary resources to craft the tool.

What I suggest is to scrap the timers entirely and go back to instant, and then begin planning to create a set of features post-release that actually improve and build on a coherent crafting system, by adding processing time and passive resource generation. The bio generator is a fantastic set piece, both as a generator that passively gives you power in exchange for a renewable resource and as a visual indicator of your progress. If the developers add a set of machines that deal with automated processing they can lay the groundwork for a better tech gating system that gives more linear progression and prevents a player from making a jump to the floating island with his first seaglide to get infinite fruit food.

Tier 1:

Scrap processing:
    Remove the ability to process scrap into titanium at the crafting station. Instead the player will gather titanium from the ground and invest his early resources into a machine that does this for him. Give the machine a sizeable inventory that can hold 10 or so pieces of scrap metal and takes maybe 3-4 minutes to process one piece. The output is placed into a hopper.

Quarts generation:
    Add a machine that allows you to passively grow quartz in a pressurized chamber.

Tier 2:

The next tier of resources are the ones found in the glowshroom caves and similar depths, add a mining placeable or base machine that passively creates these and outputs to a hopper. Require this machine to be at a certain depth (lower than where you find them naturally).

And so on.

The idea would be to encourage players to automate gathering of resources he has already acquired and progressed beyond in the course of his game. As an added bonus it encourages the player to build several bases at various depth levels rather than one central base he keeps coming back to. The player should be able to place all previous tiers of resource gathering in each new base at increasing depths. This would allow him to use the Cyclops as a mobile base and storage but not as a resource gathering point.