Crafting speed

Comments

• MotiveMotive Belarus Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221406Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    Weak logic to support grinding. If you wanted it to be realistic, you would want the crafting process to be more detailed, not just take an arbitrary amount of time. I wish people would stop calling it realism when that is total BS.
    Topic about "timers", i quoth my opinion about subj. I like it, feel more realistic, like 3D printer (not some shit magic by Harry Potter), and there only a few devices that require "lot" seconds (and you're not stuck at this time to fabricator, you can to do what you want).
    I played summary ~100 hours, where ~last 15 was experimental, and I did for a conclusion for himself. New timers is great idea. I don`t care about opinions other, it matter of personal taste.

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    And it just seems that if you're not willing to wait a mere minute.

It takes less time to create a cyclops than it is to make a seaglide.

Why not just increase the time minimally. Make it so it takes slightly less time to make a seaglide than a Cyclops/seamoth.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    edited August 2016
    edited August 2016
    Again, sorry. On a cell phone
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    This page is full of salt, on both sides.

Let's just remember that some people like these divisive arguments: division and fighting among a fanbase makes them happy and stronger.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I'm visualizing seriously messed-up people standing in front a microwave, pulling their hair and doing the pee-pee dance, while waiting for their cup of sixty second noodles to finish.

+1.

I remember doing similar things to your story of SWG when I used to play Tribal Wars many, many years ago.
    Sending the new blood on lengthy, pointless quests to sort the wheat from the chaff, good times. Elitism is fantastic.

Don't worry, when these peasants are up against against the wall because us NWO members have had enough, once and for all, then we can have a drink and laugh about this.

11 Disagrees from people with absolutely no sense of humour.

How can you possibly "disagree" with something that has no basis in the game and is obviously an attempt at lightening the mood?

Now you're just wielding that button like a pathetic weapon.

I think I might be done with these forums if this is the behaviour we can expect from now on.
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    edited August 2016
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I'm visualizing seriously messed-up people standing in front a microwave, pulling their hair and doing the pee-pee dance, while waiting for their cup of sixty second noodles to finish.

+1.

I remember doing similar things to your story of SWG when I used to play Tribal Wars many, many years ago.
    Sending the new blood on lengthy, pointless quests to sort the wheat from the chaff, good times. Elitism is fantastic.

Don't worry, when these peasants are up against against the wall because us NWO members have had enough, once and for all, then we can have a drink and laugh about this.

11 Disagrees from people with absolutely no sense of humour.

How can you possibly "disagree" with something that has no basis in the game and is obviously an attempt at lightening the mood?

Now you're just wielding that button like a pathetic weapon.

I think I might be done with these forums if this is the behaviour we can expect from now on.

I've been disagreed with by a forums regular with nearly 100 posts and a reg date slightly older than yours for... saying the were the only person disagreeing with my posts at the time (I since had someone disagreed with my edit saying "Wait, I'm being disagreed with for saying someone is disagreeing with me?"). THAT, is baseless slamming of the disagree button. When you are literally disagreeing. with the fact you are disagreeing, BY Disagreeing.

Finding a posts calling people peasants, even "As a joke" in poor taste is much more relatable.

If your sense of humor is to +1 people equating the opinion you do not like with someone about to soil themselves, it is not a sense of humor that reflects well on you.

Particularly if you truly want to actually steer things back into civil discussion. You may have more luck being convincing in that regard with less of that kind of "Joke".

I look forward to you living up to the far more classy content I know you are capable of. I expect normally, you would not applaud bathroom humor and mustache twirling last word exists like the forums are some kind of Adam Sandler movie.

Or, I guess people could disagree with me thinking you can be a better quality of internet poster than that.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    LaserFace wrote: »
    I've been disagreed with by a forums regular with nearly 100 posts and a reg date slightly older than yours for... saying the were the only person disagreeing with my posts at the time (I since had someone disagreed with my edit saying "Wait, I'm being disagreed with for saying someone is disagreeing with me?"). THAT, is baseless slamming of the disagree button. When you are literally disagreeing. with the fact you are disagreeing, BY Disagreeing.

I don't know if I'm deciphering this correctly, but if someone disagreed with you just to annoy you, that's childish and obviously I don't condone it.
    Finding a posts calling people peasants, even "As a joke" in poor taste is much more relatable.

If your sense of humor is to +1 people equating the opinion you do not like with someone about to soil themselves, it is not a sense of humor that reflects well on you.

I'm not here to please you or anyone else. The image he conjured was absurd and laughable, and voiced a serious issue about impatience in gamers these days. Instant gratification and lack of patience is ruining games for many of us.

If people cannot see my reply to him was self-deprecating as hell and made fun of myself and the perceived "realism snobs" then I don't know what to think. Humanity's common sense is dead.
    Particularly if you truly want to actually steer things back into civil discussion. You may have more luck being convincing in that regard with less of that kind of "Joke".

I have lost all hope of that. I've personally extended apologies and desires to move forward without this pettiness twice now, to one person in particular, only to have the hand of friendship slapped away, both times, with the "thinly veiled insults" that he initially had such a problem with. Apologies have only been outgoing, and I'm left in a frustrated place where this game I loved is becoming a cookie cutter bore fest, and the forum I loved is becoming a childish playground. (And I played my part, I admit.)
    It's incredibly annoying, so I hope you can appreciate where this all comes from.

I'll try once more, with you, personally. I extend my apologies if I ever offended you. We have to agree to disagree on certain issues and move forward.

And if the person who deliberately "disagreed" with all this guy's posts is reading this, please don't abuse that feature. I only use it when something really, really makes an impact.
    The more you use it needlessly the more redundant it becomes.

edited August 2016
    Oh go away and get a grip. It is an undeniable fact that I (and many like me) are frustrated and tired of games holding our hands at every step. That's not a dig at you, that's just the way it is. If you enjoy having your hand held, good for you, I don't really care until it starts to ruin otherwise decent games.

It's literally impossible to have a rational conversation with people who take offence at every tiny thing like this, so I give up.

How can you possibly find that a "dig"... unless of course you feel guilty about your own lack of patience.

It's just a stated fact.
    I never said I wasn't a jerk.
    I can be a huge jerk.
    But I was really trying hard not to be.

But you're being ridiculous, you deserve nothing but jerk directed towards you right now for this nonsense.

I tried, again, and you slapped that hand away again with nothing but petty childishness, again. I don't believe for a second you are not intelligent enough to know there was absolutely no "dig" in what I said. You're simply trying to discredit and bait me. Well it's working, because I can't stand this sort of behaviour, it's Fox News level BS and I'm calling you out on it.

This is absolutely impossible and a waste of everyone's time.
  • wmcook32wmcook32 Arkansas Join Date: 2015-06-08 Member: 205328Members
    This particular topic is getting tiresome.

Most everyone has stated yay or nay or i don't care in some form or fashion, but then go on either misreading or misunderstanding or plain out insulting others instead of just keeping an eye on the check-ins and other things the Dev's use to keep us up to date.

again for me I really don't care either way. There are more important things than one part of the crafting system.
    Take some time and reflect on how what you say might be insulting and rude.

Take some time and reflect on how your being offended is nothing but a "meaningless whine" and is your own problem, not mine. You perceive offence where none is intended, and that's a huge problem in anyone's life. This completely springs to mind;
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=O-IX69mjpcA

[quote="ZestyCrabLegs;2307217" I don't need to discredit and bait you. I have no interest in doing that. But you're doing it yourself.[/quote]

The fact you butted in, in the middle of a conversation between me and another person, completely unbidden, completely without purpose other than to annoy and inflame, speaks to the contrary.

Are we done? Can we please just agree to disagree and get the hell over it already? I'm becoming extremely bored and I'm sure you are too. Go ahead, get the last word, then move on. We're finished with this irrational nonsense here.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Well, they made it so its like a maximum of 4-5 seconds now so we can finally stop arguing.
    Well, they made it so its like a maximum of 4-5 seconds now so we can finally stop arguing.

If that is true and timers are really at 5 seconds at Max with no lurking gotchas, that is far more acceptable. 3 seconds fits in with the stable build fabricator animations well enough, for example.

Less satisfied if it later turns out "Oh but modifying charge fins and repulsion guns are still 30-60 seconds-" and the like.
    When the sun rises and sets in about 20 minutes real time, nothing should take a few minutes to accomplish. That's literally hours in game time. It takes long enough to collect stuff.

If you want the game to be successful and sell well then it needs to appeal to the larger casual audience. With the super aggro and fragments being hidden in large maze-like wrecks swarming with sharks and biters, the game is already leaning towards the more challenging end. People are already bailing on the game because they can't deal with Stalkers, how are they going to feel when it took four minutes to craft a welder and four more to craft a sea glide, just to go on and get eaten by sand sharks and biters.
  • mouser9169mouser9169 usa Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221389Members
    This is great :)

Timers are all but gone and we have an automatic hand grab on everything it looks like :)
    mouser9169 wrote: »

Timers are all but gone and we have an automatic hand grab on everything it looks like :)

I have to say, I can understand the problem with timers, but why the hand grab? That was a very minor inconvenience at most.
    edited August 2016

I have to say, I can understand the problem with timers, but why the hand grab? That was a very minor inconvenience at most.

It was an awkward mechanic in general, on top of the fact you could end up getting materials and objects just straight up deleted.

"There, finally made my first propulsion gun. Whoops missclick-oh dear it's been erased from existence in favor of a cooked peeper."

Really all it added was making the interface more obtuse, even ignoring such drastic material loss bugs. Just saying "LOL it's an inconvenience at best!" also sums up why it was so pointless. You have an inconvenience added to the game, for... uh... Inconvenience=realism?

Add an extra mouse click click to everything time you want to follow an internet link, an extra click every time you want to post in a thread, or an third click every time you open a shortcut, etc etc. It adds up as "Why is this even a thing?"

Basically, rather than adding anything, it BROKE immersion by taking your mindset out of the game to ask "Who designed this clunky interface?" Or, worst case scenario "Who thought it would be a good idea to make the fabricator delete objects, EVER?"

Regardless of "LOL just pick it up first!", the fact you could straight up just get items poofed out of existence was ever even implemented... Yeesh.

It was an awkward mechanic in general, on top of the fact you could end up getting materials and objects just straight up deleted.

"There, finally made my first propulsion gun. Whoops missclick-oh dear it's been erased from existence in favor of a cooked peeper."

Really all it added was making the interface more obtuse, even ignoring such drastic material loss bugs. Just saying "LOL it's an inconvenience at best!" also sums up why it was so pointless. You have an inconvenience added to the game, for... uh... Inconvenience=realism?

Add an extra mouse click click to everything time you want to follow an internet link, an extra click every time you want to post in a thread, or an third click every time you open a shortcut, etc etc. It adds up as "Why is this even a thing?"

Because it made slightly more sense (to me at least) that you would actually have to pick bigger things up off of the fabricator. Just a small boost to immersion I thought was cool.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

With the caveat that I don't play on experimental, so I haven't experienced it first-hand, I can only imagine that being forced to pick up everything you craft manually is a pain in the ass. It prevents you from being efficient. If you've gathered a ton of resources for some mass-crafting, you want to be able to just open the fabricator menu and click the appropriate icon until you use up all the resources. Needing to close the menu for each one, then open it back up is a lot of effort for no real gain. It doesn't make the game more fun. It doesn't make the game more challenging. It just makes the game more tedious, and that's a direction a game shouldn't be going.
  • mouser9169mouser9169 usa Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221389Members

Because it made slightly more sense (to me at least) that you would actually have to pick bigger things up off of the fabricator. Just a small boost to immersion I thought was cool.

Which is why I mentioned the hand grab animation as a Good Thing(tm). Now we have the 'realism' of picking things up off the fabricator without messing with the mother beautiful crafting interface that they came up with where you crafted items one at a time but had the convenience of just clicking the same spot to make however many you want.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

But you wouldn't have to pick up small things from the fabricator as well? I've always taken it as a given that you're grabbing the stuff and putting it in your magical inventory (and let's be real here - you have a magical inventory. Scuba Steve or whatever you wanna call him is not wearing a backpack even, yet you can carry as many as 12 decent-sized chunks of the Aurora's hull without even losing mobility, let alone the fact that they're invisible while being carried). I could see the dev's implementing an animation of you grabbing the stuff that didn't interfere with crafting, just the hand reaching out and grabbing the (whatever) you just crafted as you move on to the next thing. That would make it seem more "real" without encumbering the gameplay with bad mechanics.

Which is why I mentioned the hand grab animation as a Good Thing(tm). Now we have the 'realism' of picking things up off the fabricator without messing with the mother beautiful crafting interface that they came up with where you crafted items one at a time but had the convenience of just clicking the same spot to make however many you want.

I was talking about the need to click rather than the act itself, or the animation now added.
  • GarzhadGarzhad Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221442Members
    edited August 2016
    This sounds like it would just make the game even more of a tedious and occasionally boring grindfest than it already is. I just want to make my stuff and go explore more, and occasionally stab a shark to death.
    If I have to deal with 90s+ build times and the like all i'm going to do is 'f3' '`' and 'fast build' 'item <insert name here>'

If you're the type that likes wasting your time doing this than maybe the devs should add a main-menu activated game mode just for them. Like 'the forest' has with typing 'veganmode' on the main menu turning off the cannibals.

Gameplay trumps 'realism'(how friggin realistic are laser fabricators, stasis rifle, the 'cannon' items, transfusers, diving hundreds of meters down with nothing but a dive suit and NOT being crushed to death, unlimited lossless underwater wireless power transmission, 'gravity' tethers, FTL communications and space travel, and every thing else anyway? Seriously? 'Realism'?).

'Go explore' is also moot the majority of the time, not just because I need something NOW, but due to the fact I've already wiped the entire area around my bases clean. Sojourns and exploration are minutes long affairs in transit to the next unexplored location.

Now, i'd be alright if things took more Resources(I literally have over 100 wall lockers full of raw materials, hundreds upon hundreds of gold, copper, lithium, titanium, lead, quartz, glass, silver is somewhat rare in comparison, but I have Tons in storage and nothing to really use it on after systematically exploring and taking EVERYTHING in biomes) which prolongs the time you spend exploring the world(which is kinda the point) but pointlessly further delaying the acquisition of items necessary for exploration(propulsion cannon, for resources in inaccessible places, crashes, ect, stasis rifle for dealing with reapers and other dangerous fauna/flora) is just unnecessary.

My one save has been going for literally two days already. I still havent explored everything. All the people saying that leaving it as is with the near instant building times will make people get bored and quit after 5 hours are smoking crack/talking out of their rear.

Also people saying "I'd hate to see how people handle X game" .... thats /probably why they don't play that game/ and bears absolutely zero relevance to the problem of unecessary wait timers /in this game/. "i'd hate to see how they handle war frame" Thats probably why they dont PLAY War Frame genius! War Frame isn't even in the same GENRE as subnautica. In case y'all forgot, War Frame is a FREE /third person SHOOTER/ not a /Paid/ exploration/survival game. Like other free-to-plays of it's type the wait times are a counter balance to the fact that its FREE.

This juicy tidbit: "Yes, exactly. That's what's so frustrating. It seems a lot of people only want to "help" when they disagree with something. How were the devs supposed to know so many people liked the fabricator's speed when nobody bothered to tell them? "
    Usually if only a Minority of people are complaining about something, that tacitly implies that the Majority is perfectly fine with it. Since most people don't make pointless posts about how they think the fabricators current speed is super awesome thanks for making it that way. That /just doesn't happen/. In EA feedback is all about pointing out things that need fixing and suggesting new changes not pointlessly commenting on how super awesome things that are working fine are.

Instead of more time, take more power. I have ridiculous amounts of power. Absurd. I'll have like 4-8 thermal plants around a vent generating ridiculous amounts of power with nothing to really use it on. It can power 4 filtration devices simultaneously and not even lose ground. Make complex tools take lots of power. After all, atomically assembling a complex device is, by the laws of physics, obviously going to take enormous amounts of power. It can accomplish much of the same without requiring you to wait around. I.e. you'll now have to build several more power generators(which require, More exploring! which is exactly what we want to do.) and crafting said item would deplete your energy reserves to the point you cant do much else for a little while. Maybe cook some fish but it'll take enough time for your power to fill up before you can make another tool again that you should just salt some fish and go explore a cave or something with your fancy new tool in tow.
    You joke, but that's exactly the kind of thing this sort of person actually asks for, down to people requesting hour+ waits in decompression chambers. Seen it plenty over on the steam forums for example. And people who want your base to flood when you enter your hatch because hatches are freely placed on the side of corridors, etc.

Personally i think it'd be a neat effect to, when entering your base, see the water that came in with you be immediately drained out of the corridor. Flooding the corridor would be kind of silly though, you arn't taking THAT long to enter. Just a neat little draining effect. Besides, entering your base realistically would just be an annoying chore. Since, you know, opening a hatch into your base when you're 500m below the ocean would probably be A Bad Thing without a dedicated decompression chamber for entry.
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    The fix didnt fix that because the "playtesters" made things up in their feedback instead of trying to identify the actual issue.
    You've leveled an accusation here, but I'm not sure at whom. Are the "playtesters" you're referring to the ones employed by Unknown worlds, or are they us, the early release players?
    What exactly did they make up? How did you come by this information?

I think you want to read the post before mine. From what I understand they are normal players that got a promotion to some kind of inside track, but I dunno. I am not overly concerned about the lantern fruit because it felt like a quick bandaid and I trust the devs will do a proper balance and goal eval for them eventually so switching the dominant strategy to fish tanks isnt really that big a deal for now.
    The playtesters are like an elevated tier with a direct line to the devs ear and primary feedback source. They also seem to have a habit of making crap up, as mentioned before, to encourage the devs to pander to their wants. 4 fruits only amounted to like 40 food and 44 water and rot in a matter of minutes. You cannot under any circumstances survive for days of off 4 fruits; it was a complete, bold faced lie. You CAN survive for days off of a seamoth storage filled with salted reginalds and big waters, which are also regenerated passively but do not degrade in a matter of minutes. It was a complete non-issue and ultimately changes nothing because you can still survive indefinitely off of marble melons, purple vegetables and the still suit. Maybe use the heat blade for some variety.

Another alternative: Restore lantern fruits. Have indoor gardens also construct grow lights on the roof above and consume power, much like grow lights in real life do. There. Now there is a balance to growing food. You can still grow food on cyclops, but it passively drains power cells requiring you do return to base periodically to recharge.
    Oh go away and get a grip. It is an undeniable fact that I (and many like me) are frustrated and tired of games holding our hands at every step. That's not a dig at you, that's just the way it is. If you enjoy having your hand held, good for you, I don't really care until it starts to ruin otherwise decent games.

It's literally impossible to have a rational conversation with people who take offence at every tiny thing like this, so I give up.

How can you possibly find that a "dig"... unless of course you feel guilty about your own lack of patience.

It's just a stated fact.

The people disagreeing don't want their hands to be held in games. They just don't want pointless wastes of time that add nothing meaningful. There *IS* a difference.
    Garzhad wrote: »
    The fix didnt fix that because the "playtesters" made things up in their feedback instead of trying to identify the actual issue.
    You've leveled an accusation here, but I'm not sure at whom. Are the "playtesters" you're referring to the ones employed by Unknown worlds, or are they us, the early release players?
    What exactly did they make up? How did you come by this information?

I think you want to read the post before mine. From what I understand they are normal players that got a promotion to some kind of inside track, but I dunno. I am not overly concerned about the lantern fruit because it felt like a quick bandaid and I trust the devs will do a proper balance and goal eval for them eventually so switching the dominant strategy to fish tanks isnt really that big a deal for now.
    The playtesters are like an elevated tier with a direct line to the devs ear and primary feedback source. They also seem to have a habit of making crap up, as mentioned before, to encourage the devs to pander to their wants. 4 fruits only amounted to like 40 food and 44 water and rot in a matter of minutes. You cannot under any circumstances survive for days of off 4 fruits; it was a complete, bold faced lie. You CAN survive for days off of a seamoth storage filled with salted reginalds and big waters, which are also regenerated passively but do not degrade in a matter of minutes. It was a complete non-issue and ultimately changes nothing because you can still survive indefinitely off of marble melons, purple vegetables and the still suit. Maybe use the heat blade for some variety.

Another alternative: Restore lantern fruits. Have indoor gardens also construct grow lights on the roof above and consume power, much like grow lights in real life do. There. Now there is a balance to growing food. You can still grow food on cyclops, but it passively drains power cells requiring you do return to base periodically to recharge.

Unfortunately this got rolled back from the hack, but I believe Obraxis made a post about this saying "I made that card, I thought it was too OP, the playtester made a joke after the fact, etc." So the lantern fruit is no huge conspiracy. Take off the tinfoil hat.
    Garzhad wrote: »
    I thought Obraxis put this to bed already, but maybe that post got deleted by the reset - at any rate, there are no playtesters flagrantly lying. The "survive for days off 4 fruits" comment, or however it was worded;
    1. Was made BY OBRAXIS, who is a dev. He stated so himself.
    2. Was made after the change had already been made. It was hyperbolic, probably meant to be funny, and in no way reflects an attempt to manipulate development.

tl;dr - THERE IS NO PLAYTESTER ILLUMINATI CORRUPTING SUBNAUTICA DEVELOPMENT.