'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited August 2018
    One final detail requires my immediate attention.

As far as we can determine, Damocles won't be crumbling apart any time in the foreseeable future. The detonation shockwave propagated poorly in the planet's thin atmosphere, barely ruffling its dusty surface. Cutty Sark has completed its fourth and final orbit, and a fresh complement of recon probes have been deployed. Initial data indicates a successful EMP strike, although I won't be breaking out the bubbly just yet. There's still a cache of those wee horrors inside the Precursor containment facility, and I aim to put an end to them. That's one less thing to lose sleep over, even though those nanites are safely confined to a theoretically secure container.

It's the 'theoretically secure' part that concerns me. I believe it's only a matter of time before someone conjures a way to crack open that Pandora's Box, and we're back to square one. I'd rather nip this situation in the bud.

Like most bright ideas, inspiration came from a totally unexpected direction. I haven't spoken to Héloise for the best part of a fortnight, and she might have some choice words to say about that. Given her... delicate condition, it comes as no real surprise that a wee tinge of emotional colour has crept into some of our conversations. Nowadays, she has a fair temper about her, and that's something best addressed with frequent back-rubs, chocolate éclairs and a soothing tone of voice.

However, I digress.

As I mulled over an ever-increasing probability of Héloise decapitating me with her Guardian's Knot, my mind wandered back to an unfortunate incident aboard Aurora. Only three weeks out from Gateway Station, a newly-wed couple ran into a spot of bother. Harsh words were exchanged, certain persons were accused of monkey-shines with another monkey's monkey... You get the basic picture. Anyway, at a certain point in this howling mess, someone's PDA ended up in a microwave oven.

One thousand Watts and one extremely messy punch-up later, there wasn't much point in retrieving their semi-precious wedding memories. Apparently, the honeymoon footage also included rather more participants than the other partner considered appropriate at the time.

I reckon five kilowatts should do the job quite nicely. Those display cases are completely transparent to our scanner beams, so it's a safe bet that microwave radiation will pass through this material just as easily. All I need now is a couple of minutes and a Fabricator terminal.

Disco Volante's headlights threw a shimmering silver tapestry upon the walls of the containment facility's moon pool. Barely audible over the gently lapping water below, I could hear the steady tic-tic-tic of Precursor drones scurrying to and fro in the central atrium. The maser cannon felt bulky and awkward in my hands, since most of its fifty-kilo mass is centred on a large shielded magnetron and a pair of ion power cells sitting atop a rudimentary pistol grip. Its muzzle is a basic assembly of three concentric aluminium tubes acting as waveguides. It's not the most elegant design I've ever concocted, although there's little doubt that it will function precisely as intended.

If not, there's always Plan B... One of Doc Zelenka's 'fun-sized' boxes of boom. Yield: 0.001 kilotons.
    Normally used as a first stage fusion initiator in megaton-yield thermonuclear devices.

She calls them 'kittens'.

I depressed the weapon's firing stud. A deep, booming hum filled the echoing space around me. I swept its beam over the case methodically, top to bottom, then side to side. The hazy grey-green film in the sealed chamber sparked and flared like a bonsai fireworks display.

The ultimate irony of Ultimate Weapons: They are invariably the last thing that a civilization creates.
    edited July 2018
    Another milestone has passed. Borealis is ready to leave her construction gantry.

I conjure this is the most appropriate time to christen the hull, officially marking her first day in what I trust will be a long and highly distinguished career. The Belters are in particularly high spirits, since this ceremony also marks their first day aboard Borealis. An actual step taken on their long journey home. Suffice it to say, every detail of this momentous occasion has been meticulously planned; a dazzling spectacle that has been months in the making. As you'd rightly expect, these proceedings will include stirring music, rousing speeches and all manner of multicultural pomp and circumstance, well-lubricated with insane quantities of exotic foods and alcohol.

It's traditional.

"Sir, you're humming again." JUNO murmured confidentially. "Naturally, I'm well aware that this charming mannerism of yours generally indicates either good humour, intense concentration or precedes the evolution of an unpleasant situation... Is there a problem, Sir? Just checking."

I grinned. She knows me far too well.

"Nothing's gone awry, Lass." I chuckled. "This is like Christmas for me. I'm living in the moment."

"I'm extremely relieved to hear that, Sir." JUNO replied. "It's time."

I activated the topside PA system. The assembled crowd turned their faces expectantly in response.

"Ladies, Gentlemen and esteemed guests. This is Borealis launch control. All systems are now go for launch. Please direct your attention to the area outlined by marker buoys at the western end of the island. Borealis will commence surfacing in 60 seconds. Thank you."

"Right we are, then. All stations, stand to and confirm your readiness." I announced briskly.

DIGBY: "Structural integrity is go."

IANTO: "Buoyancy control is go."

JUNO: "Mooring control is go."

"The vessel now stands ready in all respects, Sir. We are clear to proceed." JUNO reported.

"Thank you, Commander. Execute launch sequence."

Only 10 metres of water separates Borealis from her true element. The intervening air is merely a brief inconvenience to be traversed at high speed. Rising at one metre per second, the ship's conn module broke surface in a dazzling explosion of spray, fittingly adorned with an auspicious rainbow. Above us, the Belters raised a thunderous cheer, spontaneously breaking into a lusty chorus of 'Drunken Spacer'. I had intended to broadcast something traditional and highly dignified over the PA, although the Belters neatly took over at the crucial moment. A typically irreverent Belter response to ostentatious displays of Flatlander pomposity. Can't say as I'm entirely unhappy about it, either.

When all is said and done, that rough and ready shanty of theirs suits the occasion perfectly.

What shall we do with the drunken Spacer?
    What shall we do with the drunken Spacer?
    What shall we do with the drunken Spacer, ear-ly in the morning?
    Kick her out the airlock 'til she's sober
    Kick her out the airlock 'til she's sober
    Kick her out the airlock 'til she's sober, ear-ly in the morning!

Hoo-rah and up She rises!
    Hoo-rah and up She rises!
    Helm Horrors, sirens blaring, ear-ly in the morning!

What can I say? It's traditional.
  • SCUBA_PROSCUBA_PRO Join Date: 2018-08-05 Member: 242683Members
  • SCUBA_PROSCUBA_PRO Join Date: 2018-08-05 Member: 242683Members
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    This story and its prequel are some of the best stories I’ve ever read. Seriously.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    @Bugzapper, not to nitpick or anything, but ... I've just done a catch-up after a couple of completely insane months at work (let's just say corporate merger), and I couldn't help noticing that a couple of the last three or four updates had a few discrepancies of tense and voice.

For example:
    I swept its beam over the case methodically, top to bottom, then side to side. The hazy grey-green film in the sealed chamber suddenly sparks and flares like a bonsai fireworks display.
    Shouldn't that be 'sparked and flared'?
    @Bugzapper, not to nitpick or anything, but ... I've just done a catch-up after a couple of completely insane months at work (let's just say corporate merger), and I couldn't help noticing that a couple of the last three or four updates had a few discrepancies of tense and voice.

For example:
    I swept its beam over the case methodically, top to bottom, then side to side. The hazy grey-green film in the sealed chamber suddenly sparks and flares like a bonsai fireworks display.
    Shouldn't that be 'sparked and flared'?

Fixed. (Good thing I'm not writing in the style of ee cummings, eh?)

Ah, the manifold joys of running a live-to-air serial. ;)
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Just a quick question, how exactly do the cave crawlers get onto the island? They can only jump a few meters, and the island is about 200 meters off the seabed, with nothing attaching it to the ground. Do reefbacks go to the bottom, pick up a ton of them, and deliver them topside or do they use magical space powers to manipulate gravity in their sole mission to annoy everyone?
    Q_bert wrote: »
    Just a quick question, how exactly do the cave crawlers get onto the island? They can only jump a few meters, and the island is about 200 meters off the seabed, with nothing attaching it to the ground. Do reefbacks go to the bottom, pick up a ton of them, and deliver them topside or do they use magical space powers to manipulate gravity in their sole mission to annoy everyone?

Three possible explanations... 1. Cave Crawlers have a free-swimming larval stage. They find their way to the floating islands and use them for shelter until they metamorphose into their land-dwelling form. 2. The Precursor portals are still operating, since Selkirk hasn't found it necessary to shut them down. 3. Cave Crawlers are at least as organized as ants, and may have equally disproportionate physical strength relative to their size. They could easily form living chains and ascend to the surface, although the numbers required for this feat would be staggering. My least favourite hypothesis, incidentally. :)
  • jehrekjehrek Join Date: 2017-11-22 Member: 234080Members
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @Bugzapper
    Congratulations on the new job!

The only thing I miss about commuting is reading books, I used to read a lot and now there's barely any time for it. Unless you're driving, stuck in the worst of both worlds: having to commute and not getting to relish that time (unless you deeply enjoy driving).
  • derf213derf213 Join Date: 2016-12-06 Member: 224632Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    @Bugzapper

The only thing I miss about commuting is reading books, I used to read a lot and now there's barely any time for it. Unless you're driving, stuck in the worst of both worlds: having to commute and not getting to relish that time (unless you deeply enjoy driving).

Audiobooks man
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    derf213 wrote: »
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    @Bugzapper

Audiobooks man

It's not the same. If you're driving you need to concentrate. So you can't just finish that amazing sentence, lean your head back and cherish/think hard on it.

And in my case, audiobooks won't do either. I walk to work in less than 10min and can't listen there. When not working I'm chasing/tending to my kids, so no listening there either. What free time I get goes into studying or gaming.
  • NauticalFishNauticalFish America Join Date: 2018-09-21 Member: 243687Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

She panicked.
    poor girl
    i can only imagine her running through the ship screaming " Captain Selkirk is dead!"
    edited October 2018
    And its good to be back. and this is a good story Bugzy
  • TigerTomTigerTom Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238363Members
    It’s been so long, but I’m BACK! Btw, awesome story Bug, and I wish I could write a millionth as well as you. You should really publish this.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    great story you do know da wai
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
  • TigerTomTigerTom Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238363Members
    "That is correct. I am the JUNO entity assigned to monitor and control all critical systems aboard Borealis. Even though the command crew are fully capable of assuming control in an emergency, it is deemed more efficient to have a dedicated AI system onboard specifically for this purpose."

Borealis gestured toward JUNO's inert form. "In terms of technical expertise, I am the sum total of JUNO Prime's life experience. However, my personality matrix is effectively a blank slate. I have yet to develop a distinct personality of my own, as you may be aware. I perceive that my manner might be considered somewhat detached and abrupt, even rude at times, although it is best to consider my personality a 'work in progress' for the time being. I assure you, no offence is ever intended."

"I know just how you feel." Anya sighed. "I don't mind talking to the Captain and his crew, but I can't stand being stuck in a room with other humans. That really scares me. It's like being in a stage play without a script... I-I don't know what to say anymore. I think my head is... A bit broken."

Anya sank to the floor sobbing quietly, her head bowed. Borealis adjusted her holographic image to place herself sitting opposite Anya. She experienced a brief moment of indecision, carefully considering a distinct possibility that any intervention could do far more harm than good. One thing is absolutely certain; Anya's mind is a terribly fragile vessel.

"Anya, please listen to me. I believe that there may be a deeper significance to your social anxiety. As my duties also require monitoring the physical and mental well-being of the ship's company, I have been programmed with all necessary skills to administer psychological counseling. However, I cannot proceed without your informed consent. If you are willing to talk to me, I can help you."

Borealis sensed that she had said something wrong. Anya's tortured expression confirmed it.

"I'm not going mad! There's just too many people in here... And I hate all of them!" Anya exploded.

This is far more serious than I thought. Anya is a capable technician endowed with an intimate knowledge of the ship's systems. The slightest provocation could turn that knowledge into a weapon.

Borealis considered her options carefully. Anya's isolation appears to be a personal construct, rather than a malicious campaign waged by someone else in the community. That much is certain, at least. In all routine interactions observed so far, several of her co-workers tend to react with distaste after conversing with her. Although eavesdropping on these brief and infrequent exchanges could provide valuable insights into Anya's condition, it would constitute a serious violation of an AI entity's ethical standards. Conventional therapy techniques may be unproductive. If pushed too hard, Anya will simply retreat deeper into herself. Those barriers have been erected for a reason.

Faced with this dilemma, Borealis chose to abandon the clinical approach entirely. Over three centuries of behavioural psychology and psychotherapeutic research went straight out the window. There is only one sure way to deal with any insurmountable personal crisis.

Tea and sympathy.

The first cup went untouched. An hour crawled by in total silence. Borealis replicated a fresh cup. This also grew cold. When the third cup materialised, Anya rose unsteadily to her feet and collected the cup from the navigation console's dispenser. Reluctantly, she began to speak, barely raising her voice above a flat, lifeless murmur.
    Borealis listened in horrified silence as Anya spoke of monsters.

One monster in particular. Armin Mikhailovitch Polyakov.
    wait is she his daughter? No... no way polyakov could get anyone to fall in love with him. even if he built a robot it would leave him
  • BuckyTheReaperSlayerBuckyTheReaperSlayer Join Date: 2018-11-24 Member: 244896Members
    I’ve finally caught myself up with the story... and let me say Aurora Falls and Borealis Rising are some of the best work I’ve ever read. Keep up the good work!
  • TheCreeperCowTheCreeperCow Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216716Members
    Loving the story so far keep up the good work.
    And if you dont mind me asking can we have some more of it :smile: