'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    "This seems like a good spot." I said. "Héloise and Enzo, you might as well take a breather while we set up our field lab. By the look of it, it's going to take us a fair while to figure these gadgets out."

We dismounted, then began unloading equipment crates and supplies from our ExoSuit cargo pods. As an aside, Héloise and Enzo have been on the bounce for nearly sixteen hours now, and they're definitely starting to look a bit blurry around the edges. Nothing that a hearty feed and a decent rest wouldn't fix. While they ate, DIGBY and I set up a pair of spacer's swags; compact survival shelters that we'd brought along with this particular situation in mind. They're a marvellous piece of kit, although most of their gee-whiz features won't be required here. No excessive levels of heat, cold, atmospheric toxins or radioactivity worth mentioning hereabouts, although a comfortable gel-foam mattress and a 'smart' sleeping bag would be a welcome sight for weary eyes anywhere.

One thing is absolutely certain. These display cases are sealed tighter than a fish's arse. The objects they contain might as well be embedded in a zirconium-lattice resin. For a start, you can forget about using a laser cutter. I've already tried it on the empty case, and the beam passed straight through that clear material without the slightest impediment. Purely for analytical purposes, you understand. I was hoping to obtain some specimens to test the physical properties of this material, but that plan has gone straight down the drain. A diamond drill doesn't even scratch the transparent casing. Shattered three bits without leaving a mark. Curiously, our hand-scanners are able to read the internal structure of every item and provide a basic analysis of its overall function, although certain critical design aspects have been deliberately obscured, literally 'pixelating' our data displays to conceal the functions of those components. Can't even guess how the Precursors achieved that.

From what we've seen so far, maybe it's all for the best. The first device that I examined is a portable radioactive source, specifically designed to disintegrate all forms of organic matter. The sort of thing you might use to completely decontaminate an enclosed space, with an eye to using it later. Once activated, that small, innocent-looking cube emits an intense burst of neutron radiation, then shuts down automatically. Its effects are apparently instantaneous, non-persistent and extremely localised. Since the device doesn't contain any known isotopic material, it probably generates that surge of radioactivity in much the same manner as an old x-ray tube. Think of this gizmo as the ultimate in pest control technology. Horrific though it may be, this device is relatively benign when it's compared with nearly everything else in here.

Take the thermostellar bomb, for instance. Fortunately, this one turned out to be a dud.

However, it's still very much alive and raring to go. I discovered this fact as I neared its display case. Like the radiation device, this small, rounded cuboid looked harmless enough, at least until it sprang into life on my approach. Gave me one hell of a spook. Turns out there's a minor but critical flaw in its detonation mechanism. Assuming that I could open its display case, I know better than to start tinkering with an actual doomsday device. Oh yes, indeed.

When this fun-sized package of boom detonates, most of the Alpha Hydrae solar system will cease to exist. After completing a hasty (but thorough) examination of this alarmingly twitchy device, a profound calm descended upon me. Apart from not machining that fortuitous sticking-point smooth, the demented genius who designed this dingus also forgot to endow it with the power of speech. I'm extremely grateful for that one small mercy. I'm no expert, but there's something utterly wrong about a sentient thermostellar bomb.

Naturally, any talk of phenomenology is verboten. Keep it light. Chat about the weather instead.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2017
    Heh, heh. A talking thermostellar bomb. That'd make for a fun parody. Sort of like that DS9 episode where they were trying to re-purpose an intelligent bomb, to attack its previous users, succeeded, then later after joining the Federation, had to try to shut it down, but then it actually detected it... Eh. Just looked it up, it's Voyager: Dreadnought, not a DS9 episode.
  • SaltyPeteSaltyPete Germany Join Date: 2016-03-10 Member: 214067Members
    edited December 2017
    No i think its the wrong link. Think way more back into classic SF films. I call for DARK STAR and a good long talk with a bomb about going off or not... LET THERE BE LIGHT... Kabooom..
    SaltyPete wrote: »
    No i think its the wrong link. Think way more back into classic SF films. I call for DARK STAR and a good long talk with a bomb about going off or not... LET THERE BE LIGHT... Kabooom..

Nailed it. Good catch. B)
  • TheCreeperCowTheCreeperCow Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216716Members
    They found the disected baby :'(
    "Captain... Don't." JUNO murmured.

"I won't." I said flatly. "It's their vivisection lab, right? Knew it had to be somewhere in here."

JUNO nodded silently, confirming my suspicion. On one hand, I damned the Precursors for their monumental arrogance, although this seems like a particularly empty gesture. In truth, the Precursors had their backs against the wall, clutching desperately at any technology that would aid them in their struggle against the Kharaa. They were a race fully prepared to destroy their solar system or deploy horrific hand weapons to burn out that deadly infection. Tearing unborn Sea Emperors from their cocoons must have seemed a small moral price to pay at the time. Ironically, the Precursors were on the right track. Emperor Leviathans produce Enzyme 42 naturally, although this process requires a specific set of conditions to be met. In their frantic haste to find an effective solution, the Precursors failed to discover this crucial piece of information.

I can't condone the atrocities committed in here. I can't condemn the Precursors for their actions, either. My hands are also covered in blood. People have died as a direct result of me 'doing what was necessary' at the time. Morality must yield in times of dire necessity, yet remain resolute when the final accounting is due. I must live with the consequences of my actions, rather than seek absolution from any poor choices I have made in the past. No. I am unfit to judge the Precursors.

"All portals have been activated, Sir. " IANTO reported. "Beacons launched to identify exit points."

"Good man. Well, I conjure there's nae more to be gained by sifting through this dour auld pile." I sighed wearily. "Their force-shield technology alone has made this trip worthwhile, and the ion crystals are a wee bonus for our trouble. That's good enough for me. We'll call it a day, then. Mount up."

We retraced our path back to the containment facility. I had a notion that the portal in there led to open water, so it seemed like our most logical departure point. Frankly, any place other than the Lava River would be preferable. Not entirely certain we could weasel our way through that one again and remain unscathed. That would be tempting Fate.

The containment facility's portal delivered us to a submerged platform directly beneath the Precursor gun platform. As we awaited the arrival of Ulysses and Taranis, a school of Bone Sharks cruised warily around us the whole time, only scattering in panic as soon as our transports arrived. Just as well. I've no stomach for butchering native life forms, even in our defence. Just once, I'd like to set foot someplace that isn't constantly trying to kill us.

Héloise stirred in her sleep, murmuring softly to herself. Her fine features were composed, serene and untroubled by the events of the past two days. I gazed fondly at her, taking quiet delight in the way that the light upper sheet had fallen over her sleeping form, like a fine gown on a Grecian statue. Even without using my visual enhancements, I've noticed that the gentle curve of her belly has become more prominent recently. Her pregnancy has just entered its second trimester, and that spells a definite end to further excursions where even fools would fear to tread. At least for now.

This isn't chauvinism on my part; not even a clumsy display of chivalry. Her life is tied to the new life she carries inside her. Our unborn daughter. I will not place either of them in such jeopardy again. If I learned anything from exploring the Lava Castle, it would have to be that there are no clever answers to the riddle of Life. For better or for worse, Life exists solely for its own purposes. To live.
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Sorry if I'm sidetracking the story Bugzapper, but I have to ask: In Aurora Falls, what's with the Magellan crew discrepancy?

In Aurora Falls, Selkirk clearly notes:
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    The PDA belonged to one Vasily Markovich Borodin. He was the survey team's chief geologist. According to his log entries, Alterra had landed a ten-person advance survey team on Manannán in 2169, seven and a half years prior to the Aurora mission.
    Yet adding up the Magellan surveyors, we get:
    1. Vasily Borodin - Geologist
    2. Ute Haber - Oceanographer
    3. Keith Talbot - Exobiologist
    4. Zheng Qiang - Chemical Engineer
    5. Didier Joubert - Geneticist
    6. Nyala Obeke - Botanist
    7. Lucia Silvestri - Biochemist
    8. Marcus Sokol - Research Assistant
    9. Rhys Powell - Research Assistant
    At the time, Baat and Paal hadn't been introduced, so what gives? Were there ten team members or nine? If ten, then who was the tenth team member?

Once again, sorry if this is sidetracking the story. That's why I put it under a spoiler header. If you don't feel like answering, that's totally cool, but if you're fine with answering then that's also cool.
    Sorry if I'm sidetracking the story Bugzapper, but I have to ask: In Aurora Falls, what's with the Magellan crew discrepancy?

In Aurora Falls, Selkirk clearly notes:
    The PDA belonged to one Vasily Markovich Borodin. He was the survey team's chief geologist. According to his log entries, Alterra had landed a ten-person advance survey team on Manannán in 2169, seven and a half years prior to the Aurora mission.

Maintenance Technician. His PDA was never recovered.
    edited December 2017
    The Tenth Crewman. Only Manannán knows what fate befell him.
    4pr8tirlv2jp.gif
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    JUNO scares me somtimes
    "Starboard lateral RCS propellant inlet valve is now secured. Initiating portside lateral RCS burn."

I deactivated the glare screen on the forward viewport, and began searching for a reference point in the whirl of stars. A brilliant blue-white streak catches my eye. Perfect. A massive Wolf-Rayet star, burning brightly among its lesser stellar companions. My internal HUD tells me it's WR 134, located in the constellation of Cygnus. That will do nicely. By concentrating on the core of that dazzling streak, I'm able to use it as a timing mark to synchronise the firing of the portside RCS thruster. Each time that star hits a certain point in its rotation, I trigger the thruster. Just one quick blip, no more.

There's a definite element of risk to this exercise. Cutty Sark is rotating at 0.5 revolutions per second. If I lean too heavily on that thruster, there's a distinct chance that the shuttle will begin to precess in flight, with its nose and tail wobbling about the ship's centre of mass in an increasingly unstable hourglass pattern. That's not a good look for any prospective captain's qualification flight.

So far, so good. Our rotation has decreased to a slow roll. WR 134 is a discrete blue-white dot now, making it increasingly easy to correctly time each RCS firing. JUNO is watching my antics with a carefully restrained expression. Maskirovka. Not a devious smirk to be seen, although I'm absolutely certain she's planning something interesting for the next leg of this flight.

"Unplanned rotation corrected in six minutes, twenty-five point seven eight seconds." JUNO announced briskly. "Your response time is within acceptable indices for this type of manoeuvre, Sir."

"One does one's modest best, Lass." I grinned. "So, what's next on the menu? An Alfa Echo Three-Five unit malfunction, or the trusty old Kobayashi Maru scenario?"

"Don't tempt me, Sir." JUNO chuckled. "Frankly, I'm rather partial to using both options."

Cutty Sark accelerated around Manannán's second moon, Phryne and coasted toward the next waypoint. Instead of belabouring me with yet another faux-catastrophe, JUNO kept me occupied with a seemingly endless series of routine flight management drills. To break the monotony somewhat, I kept a weather eye on the nav-comp. Carl Sagan should be within visual range in a little under an hour, although the Phase Gate is probably the first thing we'll see. Although the Gate's five kilometres in diameter, there's absolutely no chance of spotting either of them while we're still this far out.

Shiny. JUNO has just informed me that Cutty Sark's deceleration thrusters are inoperative.

In this case, Cutty Sark has to execute a 180-degree rotation. At 0.75 light-speed. Sounds like fun.

Unfortunately, flying bass-ackwards at 75 per cent of light-speed is not fun. Suffice it to say, what I need to do has to be done with an unseemly haste. Mass and velocity are no longer our friends. Cutty Sark's deflector shielding has been reconfigured to provide maximum coverage astern, since any impact to the shuttle's main drive nacelles would add a highly unwelcome level of realism to this particular flight of fantasy. This braking manoeuvre is as old-school as it gets, dating back to the hoary old days of sub-light reaction drives and unmanned probes pottering around in our own solar system. Still, it's the only viable option that will safely slow us down before we reach Carl Sagan's territory. The bow RCS thrusters might decelerate us... Eventually. In reality, it would be like trying to stop a bowling ball by blowing through a drinking straw. The way I conjure it, the folks aboard Carl Sagan might catch a fleeting glimpse of my anguished face as we screech past.
    Maybe.
  • TheCreeperCowTheCreeperCow Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216716Members
    Keep it up your story is awesome
  • MediKnightMediKnight Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236519Members
    ▬╕τ│╕ ∟ ╬▐▬╤ ∟▐╝╒¬±╟
    edited February 2018
    "Co-pilot, please verify current status of all RCS thrust modules."

"Starboard lateral RCS module is offline and remains in a no-go condition. All other manoeuvring thrusters are fully operational and available for use, Sir." JUNO replied calmly.

Just as well that I bothered to check. I wouldn't put it past JUNO to simulate a full cascade failure at this point. She's doing her job rather too well, and I have to stay on top of the situation as it evolves.

"Firing portside lateral stern thrusters in five... Mark."

Rather than rotate Cutty Sark end over end, I conjured the most efficient method would be to swing its stern around in a horizontal plane relative to our flight path. Make the shuttle's mass and current velocity work for us, rather than attempting to cancel out a potentially unstable end over end flip. Either way will work, although the more brutal caber-toss approach uses roughly 25 per cent more thruster reaction mass to execute. You can blame physics for that one. I'm guessing that decisions of this type are one of the factors taken into account in JUNO's final evaluation.

Now comes the easy part. Deceleration.

No fingers flashing over consoles at inhuman speed here. Apart from the fact that I'm legally obliged to make this check flight entirely as a human, real and actual, this manoeuvre does require a certain degree of delicacy. At this point, slamming on the brakes will not look good on my final grade. Most deep space vehicles require a fairly generous stopping distance anyway. Remember, Cutty Sark's handling characteristics have been altered dramatically, exactly duplicating those of an Antares-class starship. I can almost feel her artificially-increased mass all around me. An uncanny sensation.

"Main drives are online. Trajectory is nominal. Deceleration will commence in ten seconds."

A steady 1g burn for 600 seconds is sufficient to decelerate Cutty Sark to a more reasonable approach velocity. Carl Sagan and the Phase Gate are clearly visible now, and we are in no danger of slamming into either of them. Not that we ever were, of course. Even so, that was a taxing experience by anyone's standards; a fair approximation of the old Royal Navy's dreaded 'Perisher' SMCC submarine command qualification course. One small difference: If I wash out on this run, there'll be no bottle of whisky to crawl into as a consolation.

"All ship's systems have been reset to fully operational conditions, Captain. Please be advised that this phase of the evaluation has concluded. You are now clear to initiate docking manoeuvres."

"Thank you, JUNO." I replied.
    Probably not the time to ask how I'm doing so far. Besides, I'll know soon enough. There's more of the same waiting for me after our courtesy call on the Carl Sagan.

"TCS Carl Sagan traffic control to TCS Cutty Sark. We are currently tracking you on a close approach vector, one thousand kilometres from our operational perimeter. Please state your intention. Over."

"Cutty Sark to Carl Sagan actual, requesting docking permission. Over."

"Permission granted, Cutty Sark. Port docking bay 3 has been made ready for your use. Well done, and welcome aboard, Captain Selkirk. Carl Sagan actual, out." Captain Halvorsen replied.

In flight configuration, Carl Sagan is roughly two-thirds the size of Aurora, although she is a completely different class of vessel. Hephaestus-class construction ships are based on an expanding modular hull design, enabling them to convert into deep-space construction yards upon reaching their destination. This means that there's a fair amount of protruding parts, gantries and partially assembled Gate components sticking out at unlikely angles, all poised to make life interesting for any approaching ship.

Fortunately, Captain Halvorsen has left the lights on. I'd call that a kindness.
    No automatic approach systems for our wee Alex. Not this time. Visual flight rules are now in effect. JUNO decided to spring this one on me at the last minute. In keeping with the spirit of the game, I now have only two flight instruments at my disposal. Fortunately, one of them is an accelerometer. I conjure JUNO left me with working proximity sensors as a basic courtesy gesture to Captain Halvorsen, if not entirely out of concern for Carl Sagan's immaculate paintwork.

"EXERCISE. EXERCISE. EXERCISE. TCS Cutty Sark on docking approach, portside Bay Three. We have experienced a critical instrumentation failure, requesting clearance for a visual approach landing."

"Carl Sagan docking control to Cutty Sark. EXERCISE comms prefix is noted and logged, Cutty Sark. You are cleared to execute a visual approach and landing sequence. All docking bay safety systems are now active. Please proceed at your own discretion."

Cutty Sark manoeuvred into alignment and approached Carl Sagan at a prudent 20 metres per second, decelerating gradually as it neared the cavernous docking bay. There's no bonus points awarded for showmanship here, so I'm aiming to make this operation as straightforward as possible.

Cutty Sark landed as lightly as thistle-down. As touchdowns go, it wasn't too shabby. I commenced engine shutdown procedures immediately, mindful of the Carl Sagan's refuelling crew already assembling on the flight-deck apron. Docking control has informed me that turnaround will take a couple of hours, placing us entirely at liberty for the duration. A perfect opportunity to make our social rounds at a civilized pace. First things first, though. There's a comprehensive post-flight checklist that needs to be completed before my bahookie leaves the pilot's seat. All by the book.

Captain Halvorsen was already waiting for us at the head of the gangway. As the airlock doors slid open, JUNO and I braced to attention, saluting both Halvorsen and the Carl Sagan. Some might consider this an outmoded affectation, particularly those in the Merchant Service, although it struck me that Halvorsen would appreciate this gesture. Over the course of the past few months, I believe that I've gauged my measure of the man well enough. There are still a few who follow the traditional ways, sharing a distant kinship with the mariners of old. Jens Halvorsen is such a man.

"Acting Captain Alexander Selkirk reporting, Captain Halvorsen. Permission to come aboard, Sir?"

"Granted, Captain Selkirk." Halvorsen smiled warmly, returning our salute. "Welcome aboard."

"Thank you, Captain Halvorsen. Allow me to introduce my First Officer, Commander JUNO."

We shook hands, then Halvorsen ushered us towards a waiting shuttle tram. Looks like it's time for our fifty-Credit guided tour of Carl Sagan.

Carl Sagan's interior layout is significantly different to that of Aurora. We travelled down Broadway, and my head was on a swivel all the while. I've never been aboard a Hephaestus-class ship before, so this is a trip to the sweet-shop, at least as far as I'm concerned. One thing's certain, hull designs have evolved somewhat since my death. There are signs that many core system technologies have also moved on a piece, but there are still reassuring echoes of the old Alterra design philosophy to be found here. Incidentally, since I'm not currently under formal evaluation conditions, I took this opportunity to go completely cyber on Carl Sagan's inner works, accumulating a wealth of engineering data on every system that came within range of my sensors. Technically, it's not classified as industrial espionage, provided that one asks the Captain's permission first.

Our arrival coincided with chow time aboard Carl Sagan. Halvorsen tactfully indicated that he wouldn't mind a bite to eat, but he doesn't want to leave us twiddling our thumbs while he feeds the inner man. Naturally, he's fully aware that we're both androids. This admission of humanity must have caused him a bit of anxiety.

No problem. Shepherd's Pie for me. JUNO's up for a Philly steak.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    It's been a long time since I last visited these forums. It was worth it just to reread Aurora Falls and catch up with Captain Selkirk's shenanigans in Borealis Rising. Bravo, Bugzapper! I eagerly look forward to the next update. :)
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    an android eating a Philly steak. never thought id read that. and JUNO has come a long long way.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
  • TigerTomTigerTom Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238363Members
    edited February 2018
    I, like many others, created an account just to support this. You are doing a wonderful job, and I look foreward to the next ones. :) Hurry up, and make more!
    Please use the PDA and the Lost River a bit more in the story! (Ignore this if you don’t want to, don’t bother commenting back)
    TigerTom wrote: »
    Please use the PDA and the Lost River a bit more in the story! (Ignore this if you don’t want to, don’t bother commenting back)

Already have, mate. Unfortunately, Selkirk's mission in the Lost River biome didn't encounter a Ghost Leviathan, mainly because the creature hadn't been implemented in the game at that point. Made a passing reference to Casper the Unfriendly Ghost a bit more recently though. Back in the Sea Emperor's prison complex, actually. PDAs are still being used by the Torgaljin colonists, as Selkirk's android crew don't really have much use for them. Not nearly enough onboard storage capacity. B)
    edited February 2018

Already have, mate. Unfortunately, Selkirk's mission in the Lost River biome didn't encounter a Ghost Leviathan, mainly because the creature hadn't been implemented in the game at that point. Made a passing reference to Casper the Unfriendly Ghost a bit more recently though. Back in the Sea Emperor's prison complex, actually. PDAs are still being used by the Torgaljin colonists, as Selkirk's android crew don't really have much use for them. Not nearly enough onboard storage capacity. B)

Ok, sorry to disrupt!

More please!

Calm down selkirks PDA's are heavily encrypted and take time to decode