No More TERRAFORMER & DIGGING?!

2»

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 4,062 Advanced user
    So, like an exterior and / or interior growbed?
    UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server <- swing on by! | <a href="http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147726/p1" rel="nofollow" class="bbcode_url"">Subnautica mods <</span>- Hey look! Mods! | Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members Posts: 67 Fully active user
    no i mean thatll make full size not mini versions like make your own full size biomee butt in another biome like say u build you base in the shallows for metals or quartz you can make it look like the deep reef by cloning full size replicas of the orbs or the membrain trees. oh and hopefully at some pointt all creatures will have eggs would be awsome.
  • YolDovahYolDovah Boreville Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227924Members Posts: 31 Fully active user
    First of all let me apologise if what i say as already been asked.

Now having only recently bought the main game after playing the trial in july last year i didnt use the terraformer but having the fact that you sometime get the terrain come through a foundation and often the base itself couldnt you implement some kind of terraformer for base building only.

At least where it clips through terrain because right now ive a multipurpose room thats filled halfway by the terrain clipping through when i was expecting the terrain to be removed.

I'll even take explosives that could destroy the land.

Kinda like the bombs on trove where its big enough but doesnt make a giant hole.
    RezcaSnailsAttackTarkannen
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 4,062 Advanced user
    YolDovah wrote: »

Now having only recently bought the main game after playing the trial in july last year i didnt use the terraformer but having the fact that you sometime get the terrain come through a foundation and often the base itself couldnt you implement some kind of terraformer for base building only.

At least where it clips through terrain because right now ive a multipurpose room thats filled halfway by the terrain clipping through when i was expecting the terrain to be removed.

Kinda like the bombs on trove where its big enough but doesnt make a giant hole.

They have fixed that issue by making the bases rise further off the ground on legs.
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server <- swing on by! | <a href="http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147726/p1" rel="nofollow" class="bbcode_url"">Subnautica mods <</span>- Hey look! Mods! | Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
  • YolDovahYolDovah Boreville Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227924Members Posts: 31 Fully active user
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    YolDovah wrote: »

They have fixed that issue by making the bases rise further off the ground on legs.

Problem there is that my base was built between two rocky outcrop formations between a geyser and the kelp forrest and has the base expanded the foundations ending up clipping through ther out crops.

Most of the out cropping was removed but theres some parts that still stick up through the foundation.

Not really a problem yet as im using that part for my moonpool.
  • gabriel007gabriel007 Montreal, Canada Join Date: 2017-10-06 Member: 233409Members Posts: 1 Fully active user
    As huge fan or self creation, I'd really like to have the Terraformer tool back in Creative mode. The name says everything, when you enter in Creative mode, you should be able to shape the world you are in. While other mode shouldn't allow it, especially if the game becomes multiplayer. Personnally, I never had any issues with it and neither with performances and to be honest, I do not own a computer of the year. So I guess it can be managed quite properly.

On another part, like I said, removing it from other mode should be fine. What's the point of removing it anyway. I never caused any troubles at all. It is not like we are publicly cheating. I think you really should keep it because you would be one of the best creative game I'd ever play who has this amazing tool of ground shaping that many other games doesn't have or manage as you did.

Please do consider our suggestion of keeping it only in creative mode. Cloning plants wouldn't be quite funnier than this and I'm sure It would take lot more damage to CPU and Video cards, more than terraforming.
    SnailsAttackTarkannen
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members Posts: 374 Advanced user
    gabriel007 wrote: »
    As huge fan or self creation, I'd really like to have the Terraformer tool back in Creative mode. The name says everything, when you enter in Creative mode, you should be able to shape the world you are in. While other mode shouldn't allow it, especially if the game becomes multiplayer. Personnally, I never had any issues with it and neither with performances and to be honest, I do not own a computer of the year. So I guess it can be managed quite properly.

On another part, like I said, removing it from other mode should be fine. What's the point of removing it anyway. I never caused any troubles at all. It is not like we are publicly cheating. I think you really should keep it because you would be one of the best creative game I'd ever play who has this amazing tool of ground shaping that many other games doesn't have or manage as you did.

Please do consider our suggestion of keeping it only in creative mode. Cloning plants wouldn't be quite funnier than this and I'm sure It would take lot more damage to CPU and Video cards, more than terraforming.

It's not like they just removed the terraformer from the game, they removed all the code that works in conjunction with it and the terrain as well. It's not like the game would run as good as it did now if you added the code back but just avoided using the terraformer.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 14,937 Advanced user
    edited October 6
    gabriel007 wrote: »

There are a few things with your assumptions there...

First of it's 99.99% certain, multiplayer will not be part of the game officially. Even though there is a mod in development, which is still in pre-alpha/concept mode...

Second of all, there is a huge performance issue the longer the game goes on, because the save file will grow exponentially. All of this "changed terrain" and dynamic voxel system has to be stored to be able to keep track of it all. That is the main reason it was removed (along with "diggin' around stuff to get access to locked stuff in caves?). You didn't see performance issue, you say? So you did a bit of diggin' and assumed that was a proper "benchmark". No good sir, each time you change the terrain it adds to the storage of data and will eventually murder ANY rig, yes even the end boss ones. Unity wasn't made for highly detailed dynamic voxel based terrain, TBH I've yet to see a non cube based engine able to handle it properly. Red Faction did try, but those maps were tiny and deformation was still limited... And those engines and games were built from the ground up to be "voxel" based. They can't just throw the code back in to have "voxels". I'm not even sure they used the voxel idea, let alone how they told the engine you're underwater in these newly dug out areas. It looked to be at a superficial ingame glance, more of a custom addon for Unity to store geometry data. Which would also explain the terribad performance to some extent as it's trying to do stuff for each terrain polygon (and has to keep track of the water?), which I can imagine would add up to jiggawats of data :trollface: But perhaps the water is merely a Z-index to tell you how deep you are, so it renders "underwater" with a neat water surface shader at 0m :D

Cloning plants? Well that is actually just creating multiple instances (cloning) of the same entity. The only thing that has to be stored in this case are the coordinates and angles, similar to how the world models/entities are stored. Obviously if you add a dozens upon dozens in the same spot and within visible range of each other... You're bound to run into performance issues regardless, but that goes for any engine. There is only so much which can be rendered at the same time...

The Mushroom Forest wants a word with dem devs o/

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

• BMiBudsterBMiBudster Join Date: 2017-11-08 Member: 233891Members Posts: 2 Fully active user
    edited November 8
    Flayra wrote: »
    Yes we removed it for performance and design reasons. Any terrain modifications you made had to be saved out when you swam away which is really difficult and slow on the XB1 especially. It's been really hard for Grip Games and us to get performance up on the XB1 and we thought this was a good trade-off.

We also plan to remove it on PC as well, because the terraformer breaks the feel of the world (you can destroy it completely). It also works against the idea of gating, because you can just dig your way anywhere.

We're still thinking about the exact changes we need to make, but this is one case where the XB1 is "ahead" of the PC version...

so now that you have removed this tool everyone who made caves and used it properly now have land mass inside of their tubes and we cant remove it.... how stupid..... so what do we do now with this problem? i like my design and because of a stupid removal of a cool item almost everyone with this issue has to suffer?

good job there....really smart thinking facepalm smh
    Tarkannen
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members Posts: 254 Advanced user
    edited November 8
    That's the annoying nature of a early access game. Always assume your save file will be corrupted. Don't get attached to anything, till 1.0 is out. I've restarted the game 10 times for various reasons.
    Tarkannen
    Clear your terrain cache from your saved game file to revert to default. CompiledOctreeCache Terraformer can still be used for removing dirt to deconstruct, just don't go far enough away for the area to unload, or the terrain will come back.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members Posts: 1,549 Advanced user
    Earlier this year, UWE made a post about Modding Terrain. So the technology is still there. Given this, I expect it is still possible to do "terraformer like" actions in the game, to (at the very least) add new areas. Whether its possible to remove existing terrain is unclear, but is likely still possible. With these two in place, a 3rd party mod could conceivably add support for modifying terrain. (How they persist those changes is up for discussion, but is a mere detail).
    Current state is that you can spawn item 514 and use the terraformer to modify terrain, but terrain is no longer saved in the saved game folder, meaning any changes are lost when an area is unloaded (as the game reloads the area from \Build18, which is the "clean slate" folder that is the source for new save data).
  • BMiBudsterBMiBudster Join Date: 2017-11-08 Member: 233891Members Posts: 2 Fully active user
    edited November 12
    Please adjust your tone. The terraformer was removed for performance reasons.
    Post edited by Foxy on
    Tarkannen
    It caused too much lag when loading / unloading terrain, unfortunately. Maybe after v1.0 they can optimize it enough to put it back in, I don't know.
    Tarkannen
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members Posts: 223 Advanced user
    Terraforming also was known to cause save file corruption. Keeping it in would have crippled the game, making it unlikely they could ever reach v1.0.
    Meh, we could just lock @Belgarel in a room for a day or two and feed him pizza and his pick of energy drinks or coffee, and I'm sure it would be fixed in a jiffy. :lol:
2»