Build-able Computer AI for Seabases

Dracon1023Dracon1023 Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212724Members
Currently in the game you have a computer linked to your PDA that gives you information and warnings. In addition the seamoth, cyclops, and seabases each have their own that welcome you on board and notify you of pressure depth safety. In the case of bases, the computer also informs you about power and will even drain the base should it fill up with water. Having this computer assistance really adds a lot to the futuristic quality of the game. However I think that this could be improved on. The computer should be something that you have to actually build in the seabase and expanding the computer could tie in nicely to story progression. The computer will draw on power continuously and as you expand it that power drain will increase. Base lights are also expected to draw on power. Accessing the computer would bring up a GUI where the computer is interacted with.

The player should start out with the blueprints to build the computer core.
This core has basic functionality for the base:
  • Draining Systems - drains water out of the base
  • Ventilation Systems - filters smoke out of internal air once base fires become a thing
  • Base Integrity Monitoring - warns you about base integrity
  • Power Monitoring - warns you when base power is low
  • Base Beacon - so you don't have to deploy one for your base
  • Base Customization - Base name that is displayed on the beacon, and color schemes that color all of the base.

The player, while exploring the Aurora, can find new computer components that each contain upgrades for your computer and some will contain black box data of the crash or Personal Logs of people right before and during the crash. This allows for a nice incentive for story progression.
Some of the upgrades for the computer include:
  • *Bulkhead Door Control - Closes all bulkhead doors when flooding or fire is detected in the base to mitigate base damage
  • *Fire Suppression - the base can automatically set off sprinkles to put out fire
  • Power Management - different from power monitoring
    • Control lighting in base: off, dim, or on. Base lighting would have an impact on power consumption, oxygen production of plants in the base, and sea creatures attracted to the amount of light of the base.
    • Have a slot for a power efficiency module which is like the one for the cyclops
    • Control whether various machines are on or off (base defense, water filtrator, oxygen filtrator, surface air-pump [pumps air form the surface to your base through pipes] etc.)
  • *Automatic Base Defense - will defend your base from creature without you having to go activate the defense yourself(ie. auto-turret vs. manned-turret is the basic concept. I am not suggesting that a turret should be the defense. I am just trying to communicate the effect of this module)
  • *Emergency Control (requires Power Management) - if the base is low on power or under attack, allows you to decide ahead of time where power should be diverted. For example, while under attack, lights will be turned off and base defense enabled so as to lose the attention of creatures attracted to light. Some creatures may be attracted to noise so turning off water filtrators and oxygen filtrators may also be beneficial. In low power mode you might decide to have the base dim lights, stop water filtrators, not charge docked vehicles, and turn off various other machines.
  • Specimen Analyzer - Make the current in-development machine into a computer module.
  • Repair Drones - Drones deploy outside the base and move to damaged sections of the base to repair it.

Some modules are slot upgrades similar to the cyclops and seamoth. These are marked by a *. Others are built with the habitat constructor and take up one wall panel in a multi-purpose room. (The computer-core would take up one wall panel too). There would be enough module slots among the different constructed computer components that all of the slot upgrades could be applied to a single computer. The built pieces of the computer wouldn't need to be in the same room.

This idea is inspired a bit by FTL and Star Trek.

The AI of this computer should speak to you a bit personally too, as this would help keep the player's character from going insane from being alone 24/7. Dialogue could be story-based.

Two things I would like people to respond with is:
  1. A name for the AI, preferably a female name and potentially an acronym.
  2. More ideas for modules for the computer that are found within the Aurora.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited February 2016
    I like most of your ideas. As ive said in another post the protagonist needs way more interactions if hes going to survive weeks/months alone on this planet or else he'll most definitely go mad. Not to mention the huge help it would be, specially in huge bases. I like the idea of bulkhead doors all closing at once when a flooding/fire is detected as well.

1. Karen. i mean, it has to be right? =D Or at the very least Computer Wife :trollface:
    2. in a future update we'll have random creatures attacking our bases. Id love repair drones that deploys and attempts to fix internal/external damage

• Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    S.E.N.P.A.I (Sentient,Exoplanetery,Nuclear,Powered,Augmented,Interface) :D
    (Sorry i had to do that....) ;)
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    HARV (Has a Raspy Voice)
  • IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    edited February 2016
    Draining Systems - drains water out of the base
    Ventilation Systems - filters smoke out of internal air once base fires become a thing
    Base Integrity Monitoring - warns you about base integrity
    Power Monitoring - warns you when base power is low
    Base Beacon - so you don't have to deploy one for your base
    Base Customization - Base name that is displayed on the beacon, and color schemes that color all of the base.
    nice ideas!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members

Then you install better cameras in the base, so that SENPAI can notice you.
  • Dracon1023Dracon1023 Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212724Members
    How about S.E.N.P.A.I. as Sentient Exoplanetery Nautical Personal Artificial Intelligence?
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    I agree that it'd be nice from a story perspective to be able to build an AI core of some kind, and give it some basic extra functionality, like automatically sealing bulkheads to prevent flooding, a beacon for the base, that sort of thing. Basically what Icewave said.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Icewave wrote: »
    Base Beacon - so you don't have to deploy one for your base
    Base Customization - Base name that is displayed on the beacon, and color schemes that color all of the base.
    nice ideas!

Yes please :)

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Wow, I'm glad you told me to look for yours, yours is way more in depth lol! I just wanted to get that idea quickly out of my head before I forgot it and didn't put much depth into it. I'm going to link people who see my post to yours, again very sorry.
    Its totally ok dude. I just wanted to point you in the right direction where you could contribute to the already occurring conversation.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Needs customization for what the computer says when you enter
    The problem with that is voice acting. If the devs made a list of ones you could choose from that would work.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    Another name for the AI
    WECOB (Welcomes Captain on Board)

I am not very helpful, I know... But I just could not resist... :-)
    Dracon1023 wrote: »
    How about S.E.N.P.A.I. as Sentient Exoplanetery Nautical Personal Artificial Intelligence?

Hmmmm..... that works, I like it!!
    Kyman201 wrote: »

Then you install better cameras in the base, so that SENPAI can notice you.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Duff_yDuff_y Join Date: 2016-02-22 Member: 213329Members
    edited February 2016
    Dracon1023 wrote: »
    [...]
    Two things I would like people to respond with is:
    1. A name for the AI, preferably a female name and potentially an acronym.
    2. More ideas for modules for the computer that are found within the Aurora.
    The name should be customizable, of course (: And you should be able to pick either a male or female voice.

For me a "shopping list" would be very helpful. You would add items you want to build to this list and the "shopping list" (accessed via PDA after installing a certain module in the base) would display the remaining raw materials needed. The system should take existing raw materials into consideration according to three presets:
    • Only raw materials from the personal inventory included
    • Raw materials from certain bases included-here the "Base Beacon - so you don't have to deploy one for your base" might come in handy (maybe you could even switch a locker to "public" or "private" in order to hide or unhide a locker from appearing on the shopping list).
    • All raw materials included
    This could be a feature introduced with the "Crafting Pool"
    Duff_y wrote: »
    And you should be able to pick either a male or female voice.
    The reason I was thinking of female only is because the devs already have a female voice. I am assuming that the voice is from a voice actor. If they allowed a male voice option, then they would have to hire another voice actor for that. If the voices are not from voice actors, then I don't have anything against having an option, but I don't think we should force the devs to hire a new voice actor just for a small option in the game.

The customizable name is a good idea, but if they have story dialogue between the main character and the AI, then it might not work well.
    The tie in to the crafting pool is a cool idea. I really liked that idea when I read the discussion earlier and it would be awesome if the computer could integrate with the crafting pool. The shopping list would work well with the map room. I believe they are working on making the scanners for the map room also mark resource locations (quarks, ore, etc.). The computer could not only tell you what materials you need for a specific item, but also tell you the closest locations of said resources based on scans for the map room.
  • Deep_Diver_XDeep_Diver_X Unknown, Last Known Location: Milky Way, Sector B65 (Norma Arm),Coordinates: 16h 36m 08.3235s Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230468Members
    I love the current progression of the Idea: Choosing The Voice and having it help you.
    But I got an idea.
    What if there is like 4 Names for AI (each name Diffrent Voice) and each AI has a diffrent Personality, Also you could Upgrade the AI so it Becomes smarter and is More companion like (Wife at home if you will).
    You could have Meaningful converstations with the AI, It's intrested what did you do while you were out etc. (Player character voice acting and you can choose like from 4 diffrent names Both Female and male so 8 names in total that the AI can call you if you do not like it to call you "Survivor") (It may be too far But Would be cool).

I can Imagine Leaving bases would be One Heartbreaking Experience (If you do not take the core with you) Or when you have to leave for Longer and can NOT guarantee you make it back then it feels like AI Genuinely cares about you (I have tought about the Possibility of it becoming self aware but then again it may intervene with the Story dev's are already planning)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    this is by far the best thing that could be added to the game in near updates, close to second with the 'new submarine idea this guy came up with)
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144386/bigger-submarine-concept-my-own-3d-model#latest
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    1. Karen. i mean, it has to be right? =D Or at the very least Computer Wife :trollface:

You have watched Markiplier's SN series, haven't you? But anyways, there would be some copyright-related problems
  • JozrozJozroz Sweden Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230525Members
    A module that allows for base damage warning similar to what the Cyclops now has would be good. It could create a 3D model of the base based on attached modules and indicate where damages exist. Would also be pretty neat to see a map of your base that way.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    As long as my base doesn't go self aware and let me captive Sea Dragons out
  • Jpop20Jpop20 Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221803Members
    I feel that the computer core itself should be similar to the bio-reactor and the nuclear reactor in that it requires a multipurpose room to be installed and the additions could be used on the full wall
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Programmable console makes enough sense to start with "check hull integrity" and go from there. How many windows can I build before the whole thing collapses?

Lot of great ideas here.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    525x348px-LL-bf1c3650_HolyNecroPost_759032.jpeg

The guy who necro'd it didn't start his own post asking for the same thing. He went through 3 months of comments to see if anyone had the same idea.