Subnautica without Steam?

SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
Like the title says, is there any way to purchase / own this game without having to go through Steam? While I do have a Steam account, I've had oodles of trouble with the Steam app over the years and generally leave it uninstalled since every game I play regularly has been available for purchase without it. That said, I can't seem to find any way to purchase Subnautica without going through Steam, so I'm left wondering if I would have to install Steam again (and deal with all its difficulties) just to be able to buy / run Subnautica.

Comments

• IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    It's easier just to figure out why steam 'won't work' on your computer rather than try to get it without steam. This is an early access game using the features of steam. If you are on the experimental build of the game, which I do recommend, it updates almost 3-4 times a day with something different. At this point in the games development, I don't see why they would waste time to have alternate content delivery systems, when their time could easily be better spent somewhere else.
  • daClassicCreeperdaClassicCreeper Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225679Members
    there is a way to get the game without stream but there is not a connected source from the game to stream to update it so those people that want updates have to get the steam version. make sure its not a copy write version! If you find a cracked version report it to either dallasrosenbarger@gmail.com or the subnautica email much love.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    What difficulties or issues do you have with getting Steam to run though?
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    You will probably have to wait for full release if you dislike/don't want steam. I do agree that it would be easier to get steam to work and more convenient in general, unless you flat out hate it.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    What difficulties or issues do you have with getting Steam to run though?
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    You will probably have to wait for full release if you dislike/don't want steam. I do agree that it would be easier to get steam to work and more convenient in general, unless you flat out hate it.

This was a year-old thread that got necro'ed by someone who probably found it from Google Search and didn't bother to check the last post date. I'm pretty sure the OP's found his answer or moved on by now :P
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The only other store you can buy Subnautica from that isn't linked to Steam is from the Oculus Store. You can play that version in 2D if you do not have VR hardware.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I was going to say, go post in the gog.com thread, but yeah this is a necro, so no one is probably going to see it. I do hope they release to GOG.com though. Heh. That gives me an idea...

Vote in this poll. (GOG related)