Goodbye NS2

13»

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    I just hope this wont end with us only playing last stand.

But lets vote awesome, hell why not. :D

I was not lucky enough to have played ns1, but I really don't understand how that could happen now. Even if most public games played a new game mode more than the main game mode, there would be communities that specialize in the main gamemode. TAW could run a server with only the main gamemode. I am sure that many players like yourself would value such a server.

Lets put it this way, the difference between combat and NS were the maps. Unless server operators left the maps out, there was no exclusively combat or NS server and it is hard to seed a server without combat. Then, when you get enough players in the server, you can't pass the vote to the ns_ maps and are stuck on co_ like some servers are stuck on tram/summit/veil in NS2.

Basically, NS became the niche game mode like how SWS is now. I'm exaggerating of course, but I think you can relate to it better if I put it that way.

Also, SWS is playable at lower player counts than NS2, so seeding NS2 will be even harder than seeding SWS if it falls out of favour. Not that I think it will happen, but its not difficult to imagine.
    xDragon wrote: »
    I really don't get the 'combat killed ns1' argument. People would play what they liked best. If you said newer players would get interested in combat and never try 'classic' that was certainly somewhat true, but thats more the fault of the game not making it obvious that classic is the 'full game', or making it easier to adjust to the learning curve.

Some people just liked combat more, it certainly didnt HURT ns1.

A 'combat' mod could really be easily coded at this point, even from the ground-up. Sure it would be rough around the edges without some proper UI work/design, but the core basics would not take very long. However some may consider that bad taste considering the standalone game and all... idk.

As for LS, casual modes which offer gameplay based on similar design with removed restrictions would help ns2 with rookies... But given currently playercounts I really dont see how any gameplay modes can really hope to succeed.
    Grissi wrote: »
    Combat did not kill ns1, if anything it made the entry level to the game much better and has very positive effect on the player numbers.

The reason for the sudden drop in player count at the time is the same as with most other mods/games at the time. World of Warcraft came out and became quite popular :).

Agreed on all points, if anything, combat extended the life of NS1 the game was on its last legs, I remember specifically the last hey days on NS1 was inhabited with mic spam and trolls regardless of how effective you were at administrating, you couldn't ban the players permanently as you would of killed off NS1 indefinitely.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I can't stand to play in a pub for more than like 15 minutes, if that. As such I usually just play a different game entirely if there's not a good gather group or the nrp running.

Last Stand might make a pub bearable. I'm all for it
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Frozen wrote: »
    I can't stand to play in a pub for more than like 15 minutes, if that. As such I usually just play a different game entirely if there's not a good gather group or the nrp running.

We've been testing Last Stand a lot internally lately. I've actually enjoyed it a great deal and it's got me more excited about playing NS2 than anything else in a long time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Frozen wrote: »

I think this one speaks for itself :D
    Sometimes you get a mean spawn (3vs1*)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    I have nuked everything NS2 and am finally leaving
    BYE BE CAREFUL
    ZwA84PO.png
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I have nuked everything NS2 and am finally leaving
    BYE BE CAREFUL
    ZwA84PO.png

Enjoy
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    We'll see you soon.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    We'll see you soon.

NOPE. Discord even removes your privileges when you leave, so never coming back (except for occasionally checking the forums)
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    You will truly be missed!
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    It is sad to see one of the only people who could answer a precise question with an accurate answer is gone.

Time to pack.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I miss you allready...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016

Just kidding.

edit: Appears you cant embed to a specific time. 1:12 was the point I wanted.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TMF, been a long time since I've seen that logo :D
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    We'll see you soon.

NOPE. Discord even removes your privileges when you leave, so never coming back (except for occasionally checking the forums)

Later nerd.