Goodbye NS2

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not to forget the countless visits in the tech support forum and super helpful posts there.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    we had our differences, but you contributed a lot to the game & did a good job.

thanks for that, take care bud.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    ur p chell mang pls write
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks for the effort over the years. For a while there you were the only one fixing stuff that needed fixed. Again thanks for making the game more enjoyable.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Samus is like this computer but for ns2
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    edited January 2016
    Again, a long post worth reading.

The 2800 hours you spend on NS2 took part in the hundred of thousand hours of fun on the most original FPRTS ever.
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members

I realy realy hope UWE takes this oppertunity!
    This would also be one of the more (rookie friendly) since the only thing you would need to do is survive.
    Or kill the survivors!
    @Obraxis @rantology @GhoulofGSG9 @WasabiOne @Hugh @Flayra

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    and theres a whole host of maps worked on by yours truly (though some were not up to scratch), if only someone could make better rain

and ofcourse kouji and his elevator of hell
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Well it definitely received some more shiny things and finalized stuffs, vagueness FTW. More importantly, it's a fun and dynamic kinda horde mode :D

Last Stand has a lot of maps already as a matter of fact. What I like about it that it could also be a good starting point for new mappers. Because the projects themselves aren't so huge and daunting, compared to Default NS2 or even Combat. Heck original test Hellevator (and pad/hangar) was finalized during the modjam week for the artist formerly known as "Leonardo" mod :tongue: And this new polished version took a few evenings of spitshine :D

Also it could work for more experienced mappers to try new detail work ideas or something. Some random areas from NS2 maps thrown together with some changes could even work. And maybe it's even an idea to do a "Spark Detailing Exercise: Last Stand", ey @Flaterectomy? I mean the maps are basically two rooms connected by hallways...

It's up on Workshop (mostly as backup version) if ya want to see how these maps fit together: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140399515
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Loki MAKE IT RAIN
    That's the best map by far, it is the epitome of the 'last stand' feel
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    @Loki MAKE IT RAIN
    That's the best map by far, it is the epitome of the 'last stand' feel

Yeah, I really love the rain idea. But it definitely needs magic shaders or other magic programming work :(

It gives such a cool and spooky atmosphere!
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I am sure I could figure somthing else out for the rain, I wonder how thousands of particle rain effects would have on peoples computers!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Loki wrote: »
    I am sure I could figure somthing else out for the rain, I wonder how thousands of particle rain effects would have on peoples computers!

Heaven help us, but it would be soooooo pretty.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    You don't need 1 million particle for 1 million drop of water... there's always a trick.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You don't need 1 million particle for 1 million drop of water... there's always a trick.

Do you know how to figure that out? Could you use your skills to help make it happen?
    edited January 2016

Left4Dead 2 has a map with extreme weather, I'm guessing a fiendish combination of particle cannons and fog effects... I mean even GoldSrc could do some rain effects, not what @Loki wants with the downpour he has planned though...
    well I could always make it an Ion storm
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited January 2016
    Loki wrote: »
    well I could always make it an Ion storm

Add nanite crashing visor effect
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I just hope this wont end with us only playing last stand.

But lets vote awesome, hell why not. :D

Well if that happens... There might be something wrong with NS2 :trollface:

I was not lucky enough to have played ns1, but I really don't understand how that could happen now. Even if most public games played a new game mode more than the main game mode, there would be communities that specialize in the main gamemode. TAW could run a server with only the main gamemode. I am sure that many players like yourself would value such a server.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Nordic wrote: »

I was not lucky enough to have played ns1, but I really don't understand how that could happen now. Even if most public games played a new game mode more than the main game mode, there would be communities that specialize in the main gamemode. TAW could run a server with only the main gamemode. I am sure that many players like yourself would value such a server.

Lets put it this way, the difference between combat and NS were the maps. Unless server operators left the maps out, there was no exclusively combat or NS server and it is hard to seed a server without combat. Then, when you get enough players in the server, you can't pass the vote to the ns_ maps and are stuck on co_ like some servers are stuck on tram/summit/veil in NS2.

Basically, NS became the niche game mode like how SWS is now. I'm exaggerating of course, but I think you can relate to it better if I put it that way.

Also, SWS is playable at lower player counts than NS2, so seeding NS2 will be even harder than seeding SWS if it falls out of favour. Not that I think it will happen, but its not difficult to imagine.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    I really don't get the 'combat killed ns1' argument. People would play what they liked best. If you said newer players would get interested in combat and never try 'classic' that was certainly somewhat true, but thats more the fault of the game not making it obvious that classic is the 'full game', or making it easier to adjust to the learning curve.

Some people just liked combat more, it certainly didnt HURT ns1.

A 'combat' mod could really be easily coded at this point, even from the ground-up. Sure it would be rough around the edges without some proper UI work/design, but the core basics would not take very long. However some may consider that bad taste considering the standalone game and all... idk.

As for LS, casual modes which offer gameplay based on similar design with removed restrictions would help ns2 with rookies... But given currently playercounts I really dont see how any gameplay modes can really hope to succeed.

To the last point, atleast anything created as a 'mod'. Something official certainly wouldn't hurt, if done well.. However IMO it needs to stay true to what NS2 is in the vanilla game, changing as little as possible. Thats what made combat so effective as an entry level mode.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Combat did not kill ns1, if anything it made the entry level to the game much better and has very positive effect on the player numbers.

The reason for the sudden drop in player count at the time is the same as with most other mods/games at the time. World of Warcraft came out and became quite popular :).