TAW starts testing custom maps

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @UncleCrunch‌ we tried doing 2 maps in one night but unfornunately most TAW guys only have time for 1 map. 1 map every 2 weeks sucks a bit but for the moment it's the best we can do
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

It's a little sad. That means SCC + TAW aren't enough to test a good portion of custom maps on a regular basis.

Yes I'm interested in that but even if i wasn't; I don't see any solution on that matter except bring more ppl. Which isn't a thing you find at every corner lately.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Take it or leave it Id say..

Also I think SCC and TAW maptests are a bit like earliest stages.. If the map is past that it should be run in ensl and pub, allowing much more feedback, right?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think one part of the problem is that most people are unaware of these map tests. We should work together to get the custom maps completed. I can advertise your events on my servers and create a group event on Steam if you want.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    SCC's maptests are full every sunday.
    TAW's maptesting is more or less internal.

I'll soon revive the NSL Maptesting group (I couldn't before because of a lack of time) and I could organize these tests once every two weeks for starters. Get some people outside of TAW, try finding some regulars, to build balanced teams and get something useful out of these tests. We'll see.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    well maybe you can also find 2 equally strong competitive teams who agree to play a PCW each week on 2 different custom maps
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    New version of ns2_nothing has just been published (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220935709).

Can you play test this and let me know your feedback?

I would also be interested in joining so let me know what time you might be playing it.

Thanks.
    normally we would have asked you in 4 weeks, but who comes first wll be served first aswell. So we will playtest ns2_nothing on 13th November at 20:00 CET. Is that fine for you @Kalopsia ?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Mephilles wrote: »
    normally we would have asked you in 4 weeks, but who comes first wll be served first aswell. So we will playtest ns2_nothing on 13th November at 20:00 CET. Is that fine for you @Kalopsia ?

hmmm:
    Now that the test of orbital is finished I want to thank all of the guys who merced yesterday.
    Also the next test will be on 13th November and the next map on my list is ns2_yana
    So @minsci‌ could you be there at 13th November 20:00 CET?

change of plans ?
    That's why i asked for a schedule.

:)
    Hmm care to test O.R.A ??? next session ?

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Nothing is now installed on the TAW Maptest server.
    edited November 2014
    you know I like it when people approach me to test their maps. That's why I prioritize them. For Outer Rim Ark... we have tested it already but I get your point... I probably should decrease the numbers of maps we are testing and probably focus on 2-4 maps (instead of the 9 we have atm). I will talk to some TAW guys what they think of it.

In case of which maps those should be... well 3 guys approached me so far so I guess O.R.A, orbital and nothing will be in there.

Anyway nothing set in stone yet. Will have to talk first.

EDIT: A schedule is possible if I know when mappers have time. At the moment I don't even know if @Kalopsia has time for next session
    Google Agenda may be something that can help. Or any on-line thing like that.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So we will playtest ns2_nothing on 13th November at 20:00 CET. Is that fine for you @Kalopsia ?

I won't be able to join unfortunately :( That's 6am Friday for me and I will be going to work. So don't worry about me joining, just fit my map in whenever you guys have time to test it out.

Cheers
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Somewhat regular testing of Mineral would be very nice if you have the chance. I have only 2 months left of work a lot on it(I mean in time that I can afford to use). After new years there will only be sporadic updates and hotfixes mostly. Mineral is fairly close to completion though, with mostly some minor balance issues and detailing of 6-7 small/medium locations.
    edited November 2014
    So we decided to focus our testings on those maps where the mapper asked on this thread which is ns2_nothing, ns2_ora (this is outer rim ark but the full name is too long dude), ns2_orbital and ns2_mineral. An depending on how much time the other TAW dudes can afford we might test one map every week.

Well and Caged does not need it as much as the other maps. We will test caged using PCWs and internal scrims I guess. And since Caged is played in the ENSL already I guess you will have feedback incomming soon @Flaterectomy‌
    Also @Kalopsia‌ we will play ns2_nothing at the above mentioned time. We will try to organize a caster who will record the games so you can watch those games.

@DC_Darkling‌ you still have time but I think you know what to do
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I will probably be able to record the game. We'll see. I have an official match at 22 CET. But maybe I'll train before that so.
    I'll let you know
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm very glad that Caged is getting playtime competitively, but so far I'm not getting much feedback from teams (I'm not entirely sure of the schedule and how far in advance teams generally scrip/PCW on the maps in question), so I'd welcome anything you guys have to say.
    well the next official we have will be on caged. I will let you know if I notice something
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I'm very glad that Caged is getting playtime competitively, but so far I'm not getting much feedback from teams (I'm not entirely sure of the schedule and how far in advance teams generally scrip/PCW on the maps in question), so I'd welcome anything you guys have to say.

Caged will be played in a few weeks for most of the teams = week 7 for the NSL scheduling. I do hope that the teams will more than happy to provide some feedbacks to you. :)
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks guys it really means a lot to me that you will take the time to play some on Mineral. I will have a new build ready this week some time, probably some time during friday afternoon. How much new stuff there will be I'm not sure about, but I am in the process of detailing East Path and hopefully I can manage another small location as well. We'll see.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Some time spent testing Fusion would be nice.
    Fusion definately needs some work. I played it a couple of times on pub games and they felt marine favoured...

I try to make a date for fusion... hopefully still in 2014
    TAW can be a dick sometimes... no one showed up :(

will try to do it next week then...
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    any test of hydra is always welcome and the amount of updates i do just shows i take the feedback seriously.
    ok I'll try to bring hydra in our list aswell
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    how many players is the server 12 or 16?

I think hydra plays best with less than 20
    we will always test with 12 players, 6v6. no more and no less
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    12 shalt be the number of players thou shalt count, and the number of the playercount shalt be 12. 13 shalt thou not count, neither count thou 11, unless thou then proceed to 12. 14 is right out!
    neo I told you before: stop taking that shit. hard enough to have you as field commander when you do this :P