TAW starts testing custom maps

Comments

• prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey,

Please consider my ns2_Orbital map.

It has been played for a while on the Diamond Gamers server and a couple of other servers.

Map is 100% playable.
    Based on original mappers files given to me to make playable for NS1, in CAl, Ansl, and Ensl.
    This Map now has been converted for NS2 play style. But the map also has the ability for both teams, not to be able to route block easily. So the game is not so one dimensional. It is on the steam workshop, and if there is any needs for the map to work better let me know. Testing with 2 teams 6v6 with equal player skill is really the best way to test any map. Getting input from them is always welcome.

Thanks, Maximus
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2014
    ofcourse I considered Orbital aswell. tough decision now which map to test in 1 week. (if you would have time next week)

now something you might want to consider from mapper to mapper. I don't know your map layout but I just warn you of having too much lanes when your goal is to make the map competitively viable and enjoying to play. Games with not much engagements are kinda boring after all.
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey Mephilles,
    Mephilles wrote: »
    ofcourse I considered Orbital aswell. tough decision now which map to test in 1 week. (if you would have time next week)

now something you might want to consider from mapper to mapper. I don't know your map layout but I just warn you of having too much lanes when your goal is to make the map competitively viable and enjoying to play. Games with not much engagements are kinda boring after all.

No the map does not play like that. Players are always engaging each other. But like any map players will have a learning curve on any new map they play on. To learn the ins and outs of a map. Where to ambush and so on. Also any map with two equal teams with the same skill level, the game will play better and a harded fight to win.
    But let me know if you need anything concerning the map.
    Thanks for trying ns2_Orbital on your server.

Thanks, Maximus
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    So, it's pretty settled that NS2 is targeting only competitive players, over the average community member?

Oh well, I guess it makes sense why player numbers are dwindling.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited October 2014
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    So, it's pretty settled that NS2 is targeting only competitive players, over the average community member?

The SCC is already doing some public maptesting. It's been going on for a loong time. These people are bringing new maps to everybody.

But we have to also think about competitive play, since it's a competitive game. And these comp players can't keep playing on the same 4 or 5 maps every time. So it's nice to see people giving feedback on maps for comp purposes.

This kind of attitude doesn't help, especially if you are completely wrong.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    DarkSeraph wrote: »

As far as I know, TAW is a clan and also got their both teams registered for Season 5 of the NSL. So it makes sense for me to see them playing and maptesting for a competitive point of view. As people just said above, there's already one group (SCC) in charge of giving feedbacks and improving maps for public gameplay. Those are only maptesting for a 6 vs. 6 balanced gameplay and that is awesome.

Are you claiming it's always better to keep playing on the same regular maps and get away all the other custom maps? The best feeling is to know there's still involved players for helping mappers and the community in general. It doesn't matter if these players are competitives or pubbers.

To talk in the same way you did with your sentence, do you know 36 teams (composed by 8 players in general for each team) did sign up for the current season (NSL)? That means more or less 288 players. It seems this number represents the biggest part of the remaining players on NS2. But yeah, I won't say that 'cause in my opinion public and competitive are both of them a part of NS2, even now.

Anyway, keep playing on these maps but a tiny bit sorry you'll be able to maptest only one map every 2 weeks.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @DarkSeraph‌ this is the completly wrong thread to start one of the pubber vs competitive discussions that already exist on those forums... multiple times actually

@Pelargir‌ we decided to not do it on a weekly schedule for multiple reasons. First is that thursday evening is something like a random TAW session where we just do stuff. I didn't want to occupie everyone of them for maptesting. Also we did not want to play so many internal scrims since season 5 is currently running. We might test more maps when the season is over.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @prevertmaximus‌
    The map orbital is now on our maptest server and can be tested when its 'its turn'.

@‌DarkSeraph
    You are wrong, specificly for this thread, on so many levels.. a small list.
    * TAW is a community, not a competitive team. TAW has competitive players but that is not 'entire TAW'.
    * The people playing on Thursdays on these maptests can be from either the competitive section or the purely community section. It already is not purely played by just competitive folk. (although the community is more organized then random pubs)
    * The teamsize can be 6vs6 competive, or if people want to something like 8vs8... TAWs internal servers are firstmost for the TAW community so there is nothing stopping them from playing on them with more then 12 if they so choose. Remember again that many of these TAW people have the skill level of pubbers. They do not play competitive.
    * Well made maps will most likely be cycled into TAWs regular gaming days. These again can be 6vs6 up to much 8vs8, sometimes even 9vs9.
    * If the map survives these plays it will probably be put on the pub server for all to enjoy.
    If it however a good idea to START testing 6vs6 preferably.. If the map can not be balanced for comp play, it will most likely be horrible unbalanced for pub play.

For all (and especially @Mephiles as he is running this atm):
    If I did not confirm that I added a custom map, I did not (yet) add it! Just so you all know. :)
    @DC_Darkling‌ well we play together for more than 1 year now and you still can't type my name correctly XD
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Woops.. well its to long. Rename yourself to "Meph".. go with the crowd. :D
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't know which maps you guys are running at the moment, but I'll always welcome more testing on Caged, especially since I've made some layout changes recently. I'm lucky in that the map is played quite a lot compared to other custom maps, so I can't blame you if you want to prioritize other maps, but any and all feedback is welcome.
    of course we would never forget caged, but as you said caged is already played quite often and even in the NSL season 5 map rotation. I guess other maps need it more than caged.
    Nevertheless its also on the server. Because why not.
    But I doubt cage would be tested like Meph said.
    ok it looks like we will test Outer Rim Ark on thursday the 16th October at 21:00 CEST. though I still need to contact you in private somehow @UncleCrunch‌ (for passwords and stuff)

Also @DC_Darkling‌ you as the admin should know what to do now... get this map on the server (unless @UncleCrunch‌ declines. we would need another map then)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    ok it looks like we will test Outer Rim Ark on thursday the 16th October at 21:00 CEST. though I still need to contact you in private somehow @UncleCrunch‌ (for passwords and stuff)

Also @DC_Darkling‌ you as the admin should know what to do now... get this map on the server (unless @UncleCrunch‌ declines. we would need another map then)

I'm in, though I probably won't be able to play. My arms will be numb a this moment.
    But, I'm ready to record the spectator view. Ready to give the guidelines and advices (before game) to get a better grip on the map.

I can now confirm that 'Outer Rim Ark' is on the server. @UncleCrunch
    I just succeeded in loading into the readyroom.
    Cheers for the poke @Mephiles
    @UncleCrunch‌ we try to not make the mapper play on their own map anyway. I noticed from my maptests that the mapper has huge advantages^^

@DC_Darkling‌ great job but my name is still wrong
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    @DC_Darkling‌ great job but my name is still wrong
    THIS. xD
    I feel this will be the running gag of this thread.

damnit.. Well thats what you get when everyone calls you Meph. :D
    Sad thing is, I even payed attention this time when I typed it. :P
    @UncleCrunch‌ can you add me to your friendlist? I somehow need to get you on the right server tonight.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011262614/
    @prevertmaximus‌ if possible I we want to test orbital in 10 days (30th October) at 20:00 CEST (or CET, I don't know when summer time is gone tbh). So I wanted to ask if that date and time is ok for you

btw I can't reach you on steam :(
    Summer time ends on sunday October 26th, 3:00 AM
    ok it will be on 20:00 CET then
    @prevertmaximus‌ if possible I we want to test orbital in 10 days (30th October) at 20:00 CEST (or CET, I don't know when summer time is gone tbh). So I wanted to ask if that date and time is ok for you

btw I can't reach you on steam :(

Hey Mephilles,

What time is that EST ?
    I am on steam PREVERT-MAXIMUS.
    Would like to be there for the testing.
    Please let me know the EST time.

Thanks, Max

8 pm CET = 2 pm EST

I know and I have found you on steam but I get an error when I want to add you on my frienlist
    Now that the test of orbital is finished I want to thank all of the guys who merced yesterday.

Also the next test will be on 13th November and the next map on my list is ns2_yana

So @minsci‌ could you be there at 13th November 20:00 CET?
    Is there a replay of that test on Orbital ?
    nope sry (didn't I tell you this on steam already?)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Now that the test of orbital is finished I want to thank all of the guys who merced yesterday.
    Also the next test will be on 13th November and the next map on my list is ns2_yana
    So @minsci‌ could you be there at 13th November 20:00 CET?

Is TAW testing only one map per session/night ?
    Everyone (mappers) needs more unfortunately.

edited October 2014
    nope sry (didn't I tell you this on steam already?)
    I actually asked here first, then I came to talk to you on steam :) I should've deleted this post