Build 267 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited August 2014
    The more bugs get fixed, the more the old bugs seem to jump in my eye. Namely 'reload bug', 'phase to the same room bug' and 'beacon sound bug' :P But you said you need stuff to do for the next build anyways ^_^
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So I've seen a lot of servers with the 60 tick rates and they do feel awesome. However, how do I unlock it in a server I'm renting? Do I need to ask the host to do it from somewhere or is it a big secret no one's willing to share?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Amad wrote: »
    So I've seen a lot of servers with the 60 tick rates and they do feel awesome. However, how do I unlock it in a server I'm renting? Do I need to ask the host to do it from somewhere or is it a big secret no one's willing to share?

The reason we have not provided docs about this, is that setting the server tickrate to 60 does NOT improve the server. It simply changes the rate at which AI and other things are calculated. It has no change on the server. You need to set many, many options to be correct or your server will be unresponsive or cause issues with FPS and lag. Until the experimental stage is over, we do NOT recommend changing any server settings.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation

Do you rent a server (metal) or pay for running the NS2 server in a shared environment? If you don't pay for that entire CPU you should ask your provider. If you don't they may not be all that happy when they notice you're using multiple servers worth of resources for the same price and probably messing up their resource planning.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    @matso‌, thanks again for all your contribution to the patch.

I figured you might be the one to ask why I'm still getting the "Cannot Allocate Enough Memory..." popup in W8.1. I thought the VRAM fixes were supposed to address memory allocation problems. I also noticed some hitching still present, albeit much less common than pre-267. I have a 2GB Nvidia 660m video card and I tried playing with the VRAM game settings and it didn't seem to improve anything. Should I leave it at 2GB+ or lower it to hopefully take care of these issues?

Thanks again and I appreciate your time in reading this.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The more bugs get fixed, the more the old bugs seem to jump in my eye. Namely 'reload bug', 'phase to the same room bug' and 'beacon sound bug' :P But you said you need stuff to do for the next build anyays ^_^

if you can find consistant repro steps for any bug please let us know :)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    phew... just got done playing a 64 slot server.. I was actually in the bathroom the whole match but we still won! It's almost as if individual skill went right out the window! No matter how many times they killed us, there was still 25 people running around the map!!

it was awesome!!! Had it hooked up to my 1000hz 4k sony 110" with my new wireless xbox one controller!!!!

but seriously, I can't play on 18 slots or above... dunno how you guys manage 24+
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I know what that means :P
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    lwf wrote: »

Do you rent a server (metal) or pay for running the NS2 server in a shared environment? If you don't pay for that entire CPU you should ask your provider. If you don't they may not be all that happy when they notice you're using multiple servers worth of resources for the same price and probably messing up their resource planning.
    That's not how virtual machines work. You can't use more physical CPU cores/RAM than your VM has been assigned.

lwf wrote: »

That's not how virtual machines work. You can't use more physical CPU cores/RAM than your VM has been assigned.

I didn't say anything about VMs. By paying for the entire CPU I referred to the metal, ie a server rather than a managed NS2 server instance.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I don't understand the issue then. If you're paying for having an entire physical server in a data centre (I assume this is what "metal" means), how could you possibly use "multiple servers worth of resources"?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    PoNeH wrote: »

I figured you might be the one to ask why I'm still getting the "Cannot Allocate Enough Memory..." popup in W8.1. I thought the VRAM fixes were supposed to address memory allocation problems. I also noticed some hitching still present, albeit much less common than pre-267. I have a 2GB Nvidia 660m video card and I tried playing with the VRAM game settings and it didn't seem to improve anything. Should I leave it at 2GB+ or lower it to hopefully take care of these issues?

First, that "Cannot Allocate Enough Memory..." is a Windows 8 problem, because Microsoft screwed memory management with their new OS. It happens out of NS2 context aswell btw. I used to have Windows 8 (and that problem) aswell, but downgraded recently and everything but startup works soo much better. The problem doesn't occure anymore too. I can only recommend downgrading.
    Second, the popup is about (virtual) ram and not video ram. So has nothing to do with recent patch. If you can not downgrade (=upgrade) to Win 7, you can only try the following:
    Control Panel > System And Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab in the System Properties box > Settings in the Performance section > Advanced tab in the dialog box > Change etc.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Windows 8 plus comme Windows Vista Mobile
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The Cannot Allocate Enough Memory error in windows 8 will only occur when you are running 32bit programs. It isn't an issue with 64bit programs. I still don't see why we can't have a 64-bit build of NS2...
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The Cannot Allocate Enough Memory error in windows 8 will only occur when you are running 32bit programs. It isn't an issue with 64bit programs. I still don't see why we can't have a 64-bit build of NS2...

Think about all the ns2 players from the slums of Africa!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    As well as a 32-bit build, not instead of....
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Saying MS screwed up with virtual memory size in win8 is saying you dont know what it does.

Either its automatic and it can max out.. After that it will, with reboots probably, try to increase it.
    If you set it manually you need to set the correct size yourself.

Its a simple question of how much do you need? Gamers require more then most folk who only browse. However setting the limit TO high is a waste of harddisk space.
    I have seen virtual memory limits getting hit in ANY windows, simply because the end user was using much more then anticipated.

Surely gamers these days set the limit themselves.... right?
    edited August 2014
    I don't understand the issue then. If you're paying for having an entire physical server in a data centre (I assume this is what "metal" means), how could you possibly use "multiple servers worth of resources"?
    Me neither, again I don't know where you're getting this from. I can only assume you missed that I wrote that was the case if you don't pay for the physical server, or VM for that matter, but for a managed game server service.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Saying MS screwed up with virtual memory size in win8 is saying you dont know what it does.
    They screwed up memory management in general and not virtual memory.
    Some of the memory problems I faced having Win 8

In that thread you link, it also tells you how to solve the issue. Seems silly to downgrade an OS for a simple single registry key edit....

Over-reaction much? Windows 8 is so much better than any previous windows OS. I love it and won't switch back.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    the_tick wrote: »
    There are a whole balance changes, and improvements, for example webbing, who's idea was it to put it on biomass level 7
    i like you
  • NaRcONaRcO Madrid Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44219Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I noticed one thing, probably is not new with this new build but when i pick the kodiak armor as a male marine and i take a welder, the right hand/arm of my marine is the elite assault skin instead of Kodiak armor. Sorry for my english :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited August 2014
    @_INTER_‌
    That link does NOT explain any problems with virtual memory in windows 8.

What it does describe is that a driver with win8 is leaking memory. Which shouldn't have passed quality tests also, granted, but is 100% normal with its high memory use.
    Memory leaks can happen with any driver or program. Its not a flaw in memory management by windows, but a flaw in the driver or program itself..

As for win8, I have to agree with @Soul_Rider, but you know I do @Ironhorse. <3

Also @matso‌ technicly on a 64b system a 32bit application can adress 4GB of virtual mem space instead of 2. Certainly thats not 'a few minutes'.
    ofc that is unless it leaks fast.. haha.. im almost inclined to see how fast it leaks.. :P
    As a sidenote im surprised how close it can come to 2GB of adress space. I assume its all the big art? :p
    matso wrote: »
    NS2 runs in about 2Gb of space. If it ever runs into problem with "cannot allocate", then it has just plain bugged out. A 64 bit version would have kept going for about a few minutes more before it ran out of space.

The problem seems due to the way Windows 8 allocates memory for 32-bit exe's. If the allocation of the 2-4gb block isn't contiguos, it can cause an allocation error. This problem doesn't exist in 64-bit exe's, it is purely to do with 32-bit allocations.
    odd. unless they changed that in win8, and I mustve missed that blogpost, processes have a guard page between allocated and reserved memory.
    I can imagine a process with higher priority would grab reserved, but then you'd lack free memory already...
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    matso wrote: »
    NS2 runs in about 2Gb of space. If it ever runs into problem with "cannot allocate", then it has just plain bugged out. A 64 bit version would have kept going for about a few minutes more before it ran out of space.

Your problem is the tip videos, it's a general 267 bug (actually, the BUG turned out to be from about 2009 or so, but it was triggered by new fonts that caused some tip videos on large screen resolutions NOT to overflow to a new line, which caused the width of the line to be incorrectly reported which caused the word-wrapper to loop infinitely, finally causing memory to run out) ... where was I ... oh, yea, "Option->Show Info" -> OFF, and turn off commander hints too.

I'll look into those settings to see if it helps me out. However, I know for sure that Commander hints are OFF, and I'm almost positive that I have Show Info set to OFF as well. I still get this allocation error message about once a day when playing NS2 in W8.1.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Windows 8 is so much better than any previous windows OS..
    Well, I guess we can't be friends anymore..

It might not be "better", but I like to stay on top of technology and software. I'm reluctant to downgrade my OS just to accomodate NS2. As much I love the game...
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    PoNeH wrote: »

First, that "Cannot Allocate Enough Memory..." is a Windows 8 problem, because Microsoft screwed memory management with their new OS. It happens out of NS2 context aswell btw. I used to have Windows 8 (and that problem) aswell, but downgraded recently and everything but startup works soo much better. The problem doesn't occure anymore too. I can only recommend downgrading.
    Second, the popup is about (virtual) ram and not video ram. So has nothing to do with recent patch. If you can not downgrade (=upgrade) to Win 7, you can only try the following:
    Control Panel > System And Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab in the System Properties box > Settings in the Performance section > Advanced tab in the dialog box > Change etc.

I'll give this a shot if the Matso recommendation doesn't work. Thanks for the tip!