ns2_temple

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Okay, here is various replays from the maptesting session yesterday.

MrOizo: http://www.twitch.tv/mister_oizo/b/533417275
    Cr4zy: http://www.twitch.tv/cr4zyb4st4rd/b/533409137
    Vindaloo: http://www.twitch.tv/vindalo0/b/533401580

As far as I know, it is not very easy to give some feedbacks for a map without any textures at the moment, teams were unbalanced and that was 1 Marine win & 1 Alien win.
    Most of use think the layout & the map get a lot of potential for the future and I agree with this opinion. We are all curious to see what you will do next, textures & all the stuff to be added. The layout is original enough but as I said, we cannot give any constructive feedbacks for now.

@Pelargir‌ Are these links still up? I just tried to watch them (all 3) and I'm getting a weird error message.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Well, sadly, it seems they did not save their replays on Twitch, too old or something I guess. :/
    Except making new videos I have no idea.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Alright, I'm back in town, and I just released version 0.2.5 of ns2_temple!

The map is now fully textured, with the exception of a few exterior areas that don't have an impact on gameplay.

I've also attempted to reduce some of the line of sight issues.

Sacrifice has been scrapped and replaced with Cavern, which is a MUCH more interesting room.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Alright, I'm back in town, and I just released version 0.2.5 of ns2_temple!

The map is now fully textured, with the exception of a few exterior areas that don't have an impact on gameplay.

I've also attempted to reduce some of the line of sight issues.

Sacrifice has been scrapped and replaced with Cavern, which is a MUCH more interesting room.

Great that you're back!

I did two hallways today... and they are both just boxes...
    Version 0.2.8 up on the workshop now! I'm at a point where I'm just throwing ideas at it, and hoping something sticks. Some of the changes are a bit drastic (Laser Drill rt is gone), but others were desperately needed (no close spawns anymore).

Here's the full change log:
    -Removed Laser Drill RT.
    -Moved Tomb and Mausoleum north slightly.
    -Removed the route from Great Hall South to Royal Quarters. This route is now a vent.
    -Removed route from Cavern to Waterfall, replaced with vent. New route from Cavern to Waterfall added on the east side of Cavern.
    -Added LOTS of cover to the map. Lots of scaffolding and other colonist crap.
    -Added much mushrooms to the mushroom room. (And I will kill the first grammar-nazi sob to try to take that sentence away from me!)
    -Shifted debris in GHS/Throne Room to allow aliens (and as it turns out, marines!!!) over the wall. This should be interesting.
    -Added vent from Throne Room to Cavern. This is a modified version of the old Cavern -> Cavern vent that wasn't very useful.
    -Added spawn_selection_override entities to limit the spawn configurations. Same as before, except close spawns are removed (Colony & Tomb, or Aerodome & Worship. Throne Room still works for either one).

Here's the overhead map now:
    4e3554a1d4177c071e04e426539f50.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Just published version 0.3.0!

Does anybody know why the debris isn't showing up on the overhead map? I mean... yea "CommanderInvisible" and everything... but there should at least be SOMETHING showing up... right? It's not all invisible to the commander. I'm not using any custom textures for that either.

Changelog:
    v0.3.0
    -Removed route from Royal Quarters to Throne Room.
    -Added route from Throne Room to Great Hall South.
    -Moved the Throne Room RT into a nice little cubby-hole... arcable from Royal Quarters.
    -Added vent from Throne Room to Royal Quarters.
    -Slightly expanded Throne Room to the south.
    -Fixed the collision for the skylight in Mausoleum... you can't get out of the map anymore. :(
    -Improved the occlusion geometry in the Great Hall and Throne Room areas of the map. Not just one big box now.

New overhead map:
    979b35c8f4de60b01b6f11581ccce0.jpg
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Maybe the minimap entity. If your stuff is outside of the box i won't show up.
    Maybe the minimap entity. If your stuff is outside of the box i won't show up.

Nah everything is inside it. I'm thinking maybe some textures just don't show up well on the overview :(
    Just published version 0.3.1!

This is a very small update. The most significant change is a new vent leading from Worship to Mushroom Farm. I also added in some stuff to block line of sight in some areas.

Changelog:
    v0.3.1
    -Added a vent from Worship to Mushroom Farm.
    -Added some line of sight blockage to Royal Quarter, River Mouth, Waterfall, and Colony.
    -Fixed a stuck spot in Cavern.
    -The ship can now feasibly enter/exit from Aerodome now that the support struts have been removed. That was kind of silly. :)
    -Added some tables to Colony.
    edited July 2014
    Published version 0.3.2. Really small update, nothing huge, just fixing a few annoyances and an LoS issue.
    v0.3.2
    -Tidied up some of the debris around Aerodome and Colony. It was awkward walking through that.
    -Shifted some of the scaffolding in GHS to the east slightly, to block LoS to Throne Room entrance.
    -Trimmed part of the debris in Throne Room so skulks can fit through a spot that appeared to be big enough, but until now wasn't.

EDIT:

Oops! Hotfix to fill in a stranded spot.
    v0.3.3
    -Fixed marine stranded spot in Throne Room.
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    I like the idea of a single long room. I look forward to seeing updates out of this :)
    I'm almost done detailing Colony. It should be ready for Sunday's playtest. :)
    In the mean time, here's some screenshots.
    http://imgur.com/a/0HDYP
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    This looks very nice, good job for texturing that. I'm just impatient to find out more on your map.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

I understand it's a marine 'inclined' area but think of dark areas. We need them.

I understand it's a marine 'inclined' area but think of dark areas. We need them.

It's pretty dark.
    Depending of the background the brightness of this area seems legit. All those windows to the outside prove that room, and all the corridors near this one, I don't remember their names, cannot be as dark as you think. And anyway, only on the first screenshot it doesn't look very dark. Wait & see the rendering ingame if that is so disrupting & annoying.
    Depending of the background the brightness of this area seems legit. All those windows to the outside prove that room, and all the corridors near this one, I don't remember their names, cannot be as dark as you think. And anyway, only on the first screenshot it doesn't look very dark. Wait & see the rendering ingame if that is so disrupting & annoying.

Not to mention it IS a home base... I mean... how dark is Terminal, or Drone Bay? And they're not bad bases.
    edited July 2014
    Releasing v0.4.0 now. Colony is pretty!
    v0.4.0
    -Detailed Colony! Please note that this is just for the INTERIOR. The exterior is still temporary. So let's all say that together: "The exterior is still temporary" so we don't need to badger Beige about it just yet.

New overview:
    199f7baac5945195a1b159d074cac2.jpg

Not to mention it IS a home base... I mean... how dark is Terminal, or Drone Bay? And they're not bad bases.

Yes, I forgot that.

Colony looks very nice now on the overview, my question is, where are the beds?

Yes, I forgot that.

Colony looks very nice now on the overview, my question is, where are the beds?

I got rid of them. I'm planning on replacing Laser Drill with a "Crew Quarters" area. I realized when detailing Colony that there just wasn't nearly enough room there for it to be plausible. Laser Drill was cool, but it doesn't really make sense now. Why would they be drilling through the main doors when they can just go around? It's just an artifact of my original idea.
    I got rid of them. I'm planning on replacing Laser Drill with a "Crew Quarters" area. I realized when detailing Colony that there just wasn't nearly enough room there for it to be plausible. Laser Drill was cool, but it doesn't really make sense now. Why would they be drilling through the main doors when they can just go around? It's just an artifact of my original idea.

Yeah, I agree, seems more legit like that I guess. Anyway, using time to texture this object that can't be very logical on the map is maybe, a waste of time? I don't remember how this room was named (Laser Drill?), so what is it now?

Anyhow, I'm definetely impatient to see more textured rooms, you did an excellent job, even if I already told you.

Yeah, I agree, seems more legit like that I guess. Anyway, using time to texture this object that can't be very logical on the map is maybe, a waste of time? I don't remember how this room was named (Laser Drill?), so what is it now?

Anyhow, I'm definetely impatient to see more textured rooms, you did an excellent job, even if I already told you.

Laser Drill is still Laser Drill for the time being. I'll rework the room when I detail it... the room layout itself won't change much.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as Throne room is ungodly Onos unfriendly, I will not like this map. It takes way to much for Aliens to commit to that point, it ends up causing massive issues.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    As long as Throne room is ungodly Onos unfriendly, I will not like this map. It takes way to much for Aliens to commit to that point, it ends up causing massive issues.

What is making it onos unfriendly for you? Is it that marines can climb the debris pile?
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Hmm, I don't know what to think about this map. The layout does not seem all that bad, but the actual rooms are huge and high ceiling, I don't like it.
    It also felt weird to have the res node in Colony seperated from the tech point. Mostly because when you bite or shoot at a res node, you expect company. And not being able to see your surroundings is a problem imo
    I do believe you don't need to make that "golem" or big statue. I was on the idea to make something simpler like the iconic piece of art in Halo movies. Some sort of rock.
    Don't remove that proud statue! It's a part of the map... Personally, I like it and just want to see more.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is making it onos unfriendly for you? Is it that marines can climb the debris pile?

It is the fact that Throne Room is a massive box. You have a trench that is useless for Onos, and you have a pillar that is effectively useless for Onos. Late game, Aliens can't commit to that room without Onos dying on mass.

Every time I have played that map this has been true since the start. It is rage inducing.
    edited July 2014
    I've just published version 0.4.1 on the workshop. This is just a minor bug-fix release, nothing special.

Changelog:
    v0.4.1
    -Fixed several stuck spots in Cavern.
    -Fixed a stuck spot in Aerodome.
    -Removed the doors from the Colony RT area.
    -Scooped out part of the vent in Royal Quarters so that it isn't as easy for a marine to shoot down its length from the outside.

Still on my to-do list:
    -Reduce the size of the map by ~10%. I'll do this by bringing the top part of the map (north of the cliff) closer together. Everything south of the cliff will be brought closer to the cliff, and squeezed together more.
    -Reduce the size of Great Hall rooms. Just a tad bit too long at the moment. Still some LoS issues to work out.
    -Rework Throne Room. By far the most hated room on the map :) Also, it doesn't have a throne... that will change in the next major update.