Stacking?

Comments

• softpasoftpa Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185717Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is overused because of badges lol
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I'm honest Ive not heard it at all this week.... ahhhhhh :)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    If I'm honest Ive not heard it at all this week.... ahhhhhh :)

heard it just yesterday, bam, out of someone that should have known better.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    amoral wrote: »
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    In NS2 the smallest thing can swing a game, keep fighting till the bitter depressing end heehee. God I love this game! <3

... sometimes i just think to myself, if my team could shoot skulks... we wouldn't be in the situation of my team not being able to shoot faster skulks with more life.
    From the other end of the looking glass, if my team could nomnom baby marines, they would continue to be able to walk over them later, instead of getting shredded by flying gods.
    The ease of snowballing power and the difficulties of achieving comebacks are stifling the fun potential of this game.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I believe that comeback factor is a lot easier with coordinated teamwork.

Gorges rule the world.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If you read some of the steam discussions and other stuff, there are people out there who think badges mean you are somehow good at this game, like they are achievements you can earn.

"Oh My Godz, Dem Badgez, Marinez are well stackedz!11!!!"

Soul_Rider wrote: »
    If you read some of the steam discussions and other stuff, there are people out there who think badges mean you are somehow good at this game, like they are achievements you can earn.

to be fair, while it doesn't directly indicate skill, it does indicate a certain level of passion, which can probably be correlated with skill to some degree.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold

to be fair, while it doesn't directly indicate skill, it does indicate a certain level of passion, which can probably be correlated with skill to some degree.
    And yet there are people with hundreds of hours played in this game who don't notice their teammate getting slaughtered 5 feet behind.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

And yet there are people with hundreds of hours played in this game who don't notice their teammate getting slaughtered 5 feet behind.

Pretty much. The average skill of players with badges may be higher then players without just due to experience, but I doubt it's much higher.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    There's also comp players with an embarassing lack of game sense and awareness, but at least they can usually aim well enough.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    There's also comp players with an embarassing lack of game sense and awareness, but at least they can usually aim well enough.

wut

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RapGod wrote: »

wut
    Just because someone plays the competitive mode of the game in an organised team does not mean they have the ability to assume enemy actions based on any observation skills they may or may not have.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    oh, he said competitive players, didn't realize he meant players who play in a competitive mode. would this be a pug then?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited January 2014

Comp players in pub games is like pub players in Combat servers.

They aren't there to built structures and do "teamwork", they just want to go off on their own and shoot stuff.
    Desther wrote: »

They aren't there to built structures and do "teamwork", they just want to go off on their own and shoot stuff.

everyone gets that urge at a certain point. building is a waste of my time now. res denial is the name of the game... though winning is the most important thing.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

It indicates a fair amount of money to spend on a game, not sure it does anything else... I have badges, I have 1500hours, and I am still probably the worst NS2 player you have ever seen...

It indicates a fair amount of money to spend on a game, not sure it does anything else... I have badges, I have 1500hours, and I am still probably the worst NS2 player you have ever seen...

that's why I used all that qualifying language. and if you break .5 kd I doubt you're the worst.
    edited January 2014
    Desther wrote: »

I'm well aware of the ramboing, deaf-mute kind, but that's not what I was talking about. I've witnessed well-known comp players who should know better make some terrible calls or analyse the round at various stages and be utterly wrong about it.

I feel like there are only a handful of people who truly understand this game, and even among high level players it's often just others getting carried by said people, without whom they're basically clueless.

Which brings me back to the topic of stacking, and explains why a team of communicative pubbers can beat a deaf-mute stack. But I guess "pub doesn't matter", riiiiight?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    Heh... ya. Badges = skill in the pubbie's eyes.

You have to admit, nobody is going to donate $80 to a game they were terrible or even mediocre at :-) . Or even if they were, merely understanding what to do at every stage in the game with your lifeform/weapon goes a LONG way in this game.

You don't have to be a twitch shooter god to be "good." With 1500 hours, even if you're a gorge and you bile/heal things all game long or you weld things all game long, just knowing what to do and where to be you're instantly more useful than more than 90% of people in their first 100 hours... whether they can aim or not.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Just got banned for the first time.

Joined the server, currently aliens stomping on eclipse. Joined marines who by the way were discussing conceding, helped them come back, helped them fight off a ball of 4 fades, lead them to victory. No rookies on either team. Banned for "counter 1 man stacking".

I got video of the full game, it was glorious :D.

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014

Joined the server, currently aliens stomping on eclipse. Joined marines who by the way were discussing conceding, helped them come back, helped them fight off a ball of 4 fades, lead them to victory. No rookies on either team. Banned for "counter 1 man stacking".

Fade down! Lerk down! SKULK DOWN! Ah, good times.

I'm thirsty. Some iced tea should do the job.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I remember our old friend Xao who would accuse even TOG (noob dad gamer megaclan) of stacking if they happened to join the same team, even if it was a net loss for that team.
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    joshhh wrote: »
    Heh... ya. Badges = skill in the pubbie's eyes.

You have to admit, nobody is going to donate $80 to a game they were terrible or even mediocre at :-) . Or even if they were, merely understanding what to do at every stage in the game with your lifeform/weapon goes a LONG way in this game.

You don't have to be a twitch shooter god to be "good." With 1500 hours, even if you're a gorge and you bile/heal things all game long or you weld things all game long, just knowing what to do and where to be you're instantly more useful than more than 90% of people in their first 100 hours... whether they can aim or not.

honestly you don't even need twitch as much as that, tracking is as important, andanticipation is god. nothing so annoying as a marine that has map awareness and can guess where you're going.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    KungFuJV wrote: »
    I believe that comeback factor is a lot easier with coordinated teamwork.

Gorges rule the world.

Last nights "stacked" game won by a single well placed gorge tunnel and a bile rush, aliens had lost all upgrades and hive was being attacked. The gorge in question rallied the team and we won against all odds. Moments like that remind me why this is a unique jewel of a game.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

Video uploaded yet?
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Patience, I was to get through my back log of Awesome Battle Reports.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Recently though, a new type of stack has surfaced, the rookie stack. This time its the "good" players trying to outbid each other by the amount of green players on their respective teams.

Thats the kind of stack I would like to see.
    Recently though, a new type of stack has surfaced, the rookie stack. This time its the "good" players trying to outbid each other by the amount of green players on their respective teams.

Thats the kind of stack I would like to see.

it's called taking a handicap. and it's why I usually play with music if the server is too green. and why you sometimes see players with the no sound disclaimer. "come to my team, I'll carry so hard there'll only be one set of footprints" and yes, I did just compare myself to jebus.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Just got banned for the first time."

Same, a couple of weeks ago - only happens when your on the winning team though, no one complains when you have 60-80 kills on the losing team.