Build 261 now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 261 now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Today, NS2 got the Humble Bundle treatment. With over 179,000 bundles sold as of this post, eight hours into the three week run, there are some new players about. What better way to welcome them to the NS2 community than with that age old tradition: The new build. Build 261 is here, it is sweet, and it wants your attention. Like 260, 261 is a collaboration between UWE’s very own Andi and the infinitely energetic volunteer SamusDroid. There are three stand out features: Improved collision, commander keybinds, and reduced early game hitching. Whenever a player hits something in the environment, an approximation of their model is used to calculate the appropriate physical response. Games do this because calculating …

Read the full story here

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Awesome, can't wait to test the new collision and reduced hitching.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    where's eclipse? O_O
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Most excellent.

EDIT: Every balance change listed, YESSSS. (Except, "Merged enzyme with storm", I'm not sure about this one yet).

EDIT2: Request weld and minimal hud is amazing too. I feel like chuckle spam is gonna frustrate me though.

EDIT3: Score popups are now green for kills to more clearly separate them from assists - Thank you.

EDIT4: Only things I kind of expected and didn't get in this patch was researchable tunnels again, and some better fade buffs. Apart from that though, amazing patch.
  • krodkrod Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63206Members
    nice update guys! Thanks
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    RIP Drifter Storm. Good stuff here, nice to see a huge amount of fixing in this patch. Also, I had no idea that carapace came with a penalty in Health Regen. Is there some sort of compendium of all these crazy NS2 facts I can refer too?

Now let me scuttle off somewhere to look at Drifter Turn Speed. And mourn the loss of a much loved Drifter Ability. I suppose gaseous,stormy Drifter Enzymes shouldn't make lifeforms move faster. It is much easier to picture a mucoused-up skulk quickly sliding around everywhere. Ehh.

Also, Minimal HUD? Who WOULDN'T give that a try? Nice additions. Really. Also,
    "Fixed grass clipping into a tree in the main menu"
    This is where it's at. Makes me forget that drifters ever turned instantly. :D Or that they had moar spells, welp.

Edit: And Start-Screen waterfall sound levels. Much too high heh.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Enzyme is only available on shift hive now? It was already the most viable starting hive and this only further increases the gap.

EDIT: I love the idea of minimal HUD, though. And being able to bind chuckle pretty much makes the game complete.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sweet patch action! This is a good'un!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    It was already the most viable starting hive and this only further increases the gap.

You know pretty much every team uses crag hive right?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I was talking about how the balance changes would play out in pubs, not in competitive. I see it having little effect there, although maybe Shift gets some more love now.
  • DjiloreiannDjiloreiann Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185902Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Good stuff can't wait to test the changes
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great patch, can't wait to try out the new collision.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No netcode optimizations?
    YOU CANT USE MIC WHEN COMMANDER.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    mic broken when commanding. Can not bring up the big map when commanding.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    when do you think we will get better support for eyefinity/multi-screen setups?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    ah found that those you got to bind a second time now.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Is it not inheriting your old regular binds?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Increased enzyme cloud and mucous membrane cost to 2 (up from 1)
    Merged enzyme with storm
    Enzyme requires now a shift hive
    Hmm..

[EDIT] I have a feeling that drifter-backed assaults/rushes are going to become scarier than they already were
  • cypher0sixcypher0six Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188454Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    It was already the most viable starting hive and this only further increases the gap.

You know pretty much every team uses crag hive right?

Do you mean pro/comp teams? The greater majority of all pub games I play go shift straight away.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Nice balancing. I think combining enzyme and storm is a bit op, but at least it encourages more first hive strats.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome work in hitching, I'd pretty much given up on my first fight of every game due to this stuttering, and just ate the death.
  • watwat Join Date: 2013-05-28 Member: 185391Members
    >Fade movement will now ignore air-friction immediately after using the Shadowstep ability

So momentum is preserved after shadowstep? This is a pretty big deal.
    Samus, no it didn't
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    Drifters turn rate lowered slightly

should have meant "increased". but the change is very small
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    wat wrote: »
    >Fade movement will now ignore air-friction immediately after using the Shadowstep ability

So momentum is preserved after shadowstep? This is a pretty big deal.

You still lose the initial momentum created by shadowstep, but it seems like it's just a bit more generous about preserving momentum than it was before.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    "inexorable" ? hehe