The constructive "Let's make NS2WC an awesome broadcast" thread

Comments

• JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited November 2013
    btw: is there an exact date for the NS2 World Championship ?

NS2 WC: Thread, Official HP - only the official HP says: "...the tournament will run towards the end of 2013..."
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    @Joseppe

Date is not decided yet as far as I know.

In any case, I think we all know the dos and don'ts by know. :) I have faith in WasabiOne, RedDog, Zefram etc. to deliver us a great show.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The event will be early 2014. There is no way it will be this year.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    The event will be early 2014.

Correct.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    PLEASE allow the community to vote for the casters. There are certain casters that will ruin this.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Casters are already decided afaik. Blind, Reddog and Wasabi being the main three. All three I believe to be excellent casters and will do a great job at the event.

Wasabi has confirmed this. Knowing that there were going to be quality casters is actually the reason I felt comfortable donating.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can tell you flat out that most of the players who will be going to the event will turn down their graphics even if the LAN machines can handle high fps 1080p. Hell... my rig at home can handle 100+ fps on 1080 but I still choose to play on 720p with lowish settings.

720p? Aren't you afraid of losing 1:1 pixel accuracy at a lower resolution than native?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Actually speaking of casting... at every major sports event there are always two casters: a play-by-play guy and a color commentary guy. The play-by-play guy reports the events that are occurring as they occur, while the color commentary talks about strategy and big-picture kind of stuff.

This. Should. Be. A. Thing.

Seriously. It's better than what usually happens, which is both casters not really knowing what their role is and trying to do a mixture of play-by-play and color commentary, which ends up being sort of a confused mess. It was particularly a problem with the Hugh/random starcraft guy pairing at the NSL invitational. It would be much better for the audience if one caster relays what's actually going on while the other one analyzes strategies and stuff. Luckily Blind will be there, and I have before seen Blind and Reddog do this to great effect

Based on what I've seen from the casters, I would say that Reddog should be the play-by-play guy and Blind should be the color guy. Wasabi I could see doing either one, so I guess he'd do color with Red and p-b-p with Blind... I don't know, that's ultimately for them to decide anyway
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's awesome when you get to see a cast from a really experienced (cynical) clanner. They give some really nice colour commentary.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2013
    If one of my clogs are drawn, ill totaly vulonteer to be ref for the games :) - And if im not going, ill mod the chat channel as per usual :)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    This is a community event so, as an introduction to the event, i would like to see the following:

Comp vs Pubs warm-up fights!
    A chance to see how good these teams really are for random community pub players.
    In the weeks / weekends before the Final event these matches will take place.
    Teams of 6 (comp) vs 10 (pub) with no uneven-team spawn delay.
    Also a chance for the competing teams to practise their pub-stomping skills (or be humiliated by NSPlayer).

Like meet&greet events with blood and bullets!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    This is a community event so, as an introduction to the event, i would like to see the following:

A chance to see how good these teams really are for random community pub players.
    Also a chance for the competing teams to practise their pub-stomping skills (or be humiliated by NSPlayer).

Like meet&greet events with blood and bullets!

Yeah that's not going to end well for 10 players...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

All I can think of is our Maptesters vs Playtesters event...
    edited November 2013
    6 vs 12 then? :)
    Anyway, its the idea that counts right? Dont have to be balanced matches, just a chance for more community involvement and meet the teams.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members

My sarcasm detector is a little bit off today, so I'll just assume that is a real suggestion.
    A terrible one. 1.) You really don't want to show off one of the most dreadful aspects of playing this game (pub-stomping) at a promotional event, and 2.) you can't rely on random pub players in such a live setting. For showing off the two finalist teams skills the previously proposed "road to the finals" segment should be a better solution. Also you really don't want to interupt/disrupt the teams while they prepare for the rounds.

What I do agree with is the core idea of community interaction/integration. After the NS2WC announcement there were quite some people critizising this for being a vanity project of some casters, and the event catering only to a very small number of competitive players. I won't go into detail what of these claims I think are comprehensible and which aren't. But Ill just stretch again that in my opinion the studio events need to put a spotlight on the community. You need to find a sensible way to include a bit of community content. Don't get me wrong, being able to raise enough money for this event to take place in the first place is newsworthy (haven't seen any gaming outlets pick up the story so far though...), but if you reduce the impact the community has on this event to the money they donated, you have a "partly community funded, partly community organized" event. That is not bad at all - but a "community DRIVEN" event would be better I think. Feel free to disagree.
    Although the idea itself is fun, I am not sure on exactly how the event will be laid out time-wise. I haven't really asked Wasabi yet. I can assume that since 4 teams will have to play matches (semis + a final) that the amount of free time will be limited.
    edited November 2013
    @Solaris Lol i dont mean live events as in during or right before the real matches.
    I mean a few hours during some nights in the weeks before the final with a few servers where normal players can play against the comp teams.
    It's not for promotion at all, just fun for pub players.

i guess my 1st post is confusing, esp. the 'warm up' part. ill edit.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Which weekday will the event happen?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    Or the players could just have the recordings done on there own machines using OBS or ShadowPlay. Both solutions allow for very high quality recordings with very, very minimal performance hit. On the fly highlights would be tricky to do, but could be awesome.

^ Agree

I have been using Shadowplay lately. For those who have no idea what it is. It's a free video capture software by NVIDIA, it is already available to any NVIDIA 600+ Series cards, can be activated with a flip of a switch, has no impact on performance, and makes a pre-encoded H264 MP4, can record at 1080p @ 60FPS. Simply wonderful, Of course that 60 FPS won't be visible on YouTube, but it will allow for nice slow mo's. With all the footage from all the players collected and available, we could make some really good montages, for further promotional material for NS2, etc.

no impact on performance??? how is that possible without a capture card, also it can't record in 120fps like obs? has to create some form of input lag. I'd record ns2 but whenever I record in 1080p or at 60fps not only do I get a performance hit (which I'd deal with) but I get input lag from recording itself (it's extremely obvious to people who are sensitive to input lag or have been playing for so long that any form of intrusion in the input department is noticed within a few mouse movements)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Just have decently editted videos of each player talking about themselves on a personal level
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    Jekt wrote: »
    Or the players could just have the recordings done on there own machines using OBS or ShadowPlay. Both solutions allow for very high quality recordings with very, very minimal performance hit. On the fly highlights would be tricky to do, but could be awesome.

^ Agree

I have been using Shadowplay lately. For those who have no idea what it is. It's a free video capture software by NVIDIA, it is already available to any NVIDIA 600+ Series cards, can be activated with a flip of a switch, has no impact on performance, and makes a pre-encoded H264 MP4, can record at 1080p @ 60FPS. Simply wonderful, Of course that 60 FPS won't be visible on YouTube, but it will allow for nice slow mo's. With all the footage from all the players collected and available, we could make some really good montages, for further promotional material for NS2, etc.

no impact on performance??? how is that possible without a capture card, also it can't record in 120fps like obs? has to create some form of input lag. I'd record ns2 but whenever I record in 1080p or at 60fps not only do I get a performance hit (which I'd deal with) but I get input lag from recording itself (it's extremely obvious to people who are sensitive to input lag or have been playing for so long that any form of intrusion in the input department is noticed within a few mouse movements)

You should try it. It does only record at 60fps, unfortunately, but I didn't notice any performance hit on frames or input lag, either.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    Interview Bonkers as a filler, it worked last time :)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ezekel

If you can, give it a try! :)

I think the tech behind it is the built-in h264 encoding processor that comes with all NVIDIA 600+ series cards.

Been using it, have had no noticeable frame drop, or performance dips. file size is a dream, their latest update allowed me to import it to Premier Pro with no Sync Issue :D
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about showing some pub plays in the down time, and commentate that? That would be closer to the experience of most of the community. But please no "a comp. player would have done it this way comment". Just describe what is happening, and if one teams really stuff it up, give us the alternative strategy that may have worked better. I love when It's Super Effective and Hugh put up games of their pub plays - its a bit of irrelevant fun (I think most players aren't comp. players). And people can take away from that it is possible to play and have fun even if you can't aim. Though given how unpredictable a match length is, it may have to be cut short when the comp. teams are ready.
  • TheKarvaTheKarva Join Date: 2011-06-13 Member: 104251Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't forget us lower div teams! :) i know nothing about the teams outside my divison, but i know enough about the premdivs since they get lots of coverage through streams etc. it's not much of a competition if theres only 4-5 teams, we others are needed to make the top ones look good ;) Maybe just a short insight of the rest of ensl and aus league and whats been going on since ns2 launch, to show that we have a thriving comp scene and that more teams are welcome to spice things up. Only few completely new teams are formed and too many of them are disbanded for one reason or another.
    Season 3 of ensl was the best yet imo, good casts and some really close games. I hope others also felt this season was good. Still some adjustments needed in the divisions but atleast by now the skill levels of the teams should be more clear. Also the game feels nicely balanced right now, even though our div seems to be alien wins only from my experience.

I hope this event will make pubbers want to form teams or bring in new people in general!
    And this should be crammed in before season 4 so they don't go parallel, and hopefully these potential new teams join the next season.
    Pubbing does get old after a while and i find comp really enjoyable even if we are one of the underdogs. I know there are others out there like me, just form teams already!

Hope we get the date for this event soon, wanna try to come check it out live :D (read: drink german beer)
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    How about showing some pub plays in the down time, and commentate that? That would be closer to the experience of most of the community. But please no "a comp. player would have done it this way comment". Just describe what is happening, and if one teams really stuff it up, give us the alternative strategy that may have worked better. I love when It's Super Effective and Hugh put up games of their pub plays - its a bit of irrelevant fun (I think most players aren't comp. players). And people can take away from that it is possible to play and have fun even if you can't aim. Though given how unpredictable a match length is, it may have to be cut short when the comp. teams are ready.

'Unpredictable" is the key word here. Not only the length is unpredictable, pretty much evy pect of the game is, if you pick a random server. It IS a pr event, you really don't want people complaining about team stacking, fscking noob com, omg lag, or hackusations live on air.

• chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
    Casters are already decided afaik. Blind, Reddog and Wasabi being the main three.

Can we have Bitey cast?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    chikoto wrote: »
    Casters are already decided afaik. Blind, Reddog and Wasabi being the main three.

Can we have Bitey cast?

There's a pretty good chance he'll be playing in the event
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Solaris wrote: »
    'Unpredictable" is the key word here. Not only the length is unpredictable, pretty much evy pect of the game is, if you pick a random server. It IS a pr event, you really don't want people complaining about team stacking, fscking noob com, omg lag, or hackusations live on air.

Yeah, I take your point. Would be good to get some pub matches none the less. May be have something prepared, so we don't get into this situation. Or have a play tester match recorded earlier (with RedDog, Wasabi in the game so we can relate to these guys playing).