Anyone else leaving because of Snobby players?

Comments

• ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    I got called an idiot yesterday by a player on my own team. We were both chomping on the power node in Generator, and I noticed a Marine come through the Phase Gate, so I jumped off the node and went for the Marine. The other guy was facing in the opposite direction, so he didn't notice the Marine, and assumed I was going for a different building.

I wasn't particularly offended by it, because I would have thought the same thing had our positions been reversed. Don't take it personally if people are rude, some people have low thresholds for stress, and venting is their way of letting it out. Think of the Tennis player, John McEnroe, and how he used to shout at the Referees, it's not personal (although I can understand some people being easily offended, especially if they are singled out).
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    From my experience I'd hardly say it's a big issue compared to the average competitive multiplayer game, but you'll always find some bad apples unfortunately. Can't speak for non-EU servers though.

I'd suggest looking for a server that has some good admins and sticking to it. I only join like 2-3 pub servers I really like.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    @F0rdPrefect slaughterhouse and HBZ servers are offfically approved by the Survival of the Fattest community. My Server is meant to be a fun server so if you want to meet higher skilled player go to these servers: nice admins and players will await you there ;)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I have come across elitists before in this game but it's usually just a show of impatience, as opposed to malicious intent. There's this guy (I won't say his name because of the "name and shame" thing) but he's incredibly rude and angry when he commands. He's British and sounds like he's from Manchester. Loves the sentry strat. I LOVE being commanded by him because he's so rude to everyone (in an OTT manner to the point that it's just hilarious). Even if he's rude to me. "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU TWO DOING IN NANO YOU F***ING MORONS I TOLD YOU TO.....OMG DO I NEED TO SHI**ING BABY SIT THIS LOBOTOMISED TEAM OR SOMETHING"

EU - Dumbass Brits server right? :D It is f*cking HILARIOUS. It's the server to go to when you want a good show.

How to make the game more pleasant to everyone:

If someone is accusing someone of something, and you don't agree, STEP UP and say so. Don't just "whatever not my problem". It's not your problem then, but there will be a time when YOU are being accused and don't know if you made a mistake or not. You'd like to have help then.

I can usually dismantle any goddamn situation my team has ended up in, and I'll be sure to open my mouth when someone blames some minor detail even if the team is getting steamrolled.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @F0rdPrefect slaughterhouse and HBZ servers are offfically approved by the Survival of the Fattest community. My Server is meant to be a fun server so if you want to meet higher skilled player go to these servers: nice admins and players will await you there ;)

I've played on HBZ already, very enjoyable skill level there^^
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @BestProfileName I remember that happening between us. As you said it probably went bad on our side, and I can only guess I had some really horrible games before that about people just sticking to their good k/d ratio. Honestly I didn't know you had that low hp (I saw a skulk being outside of monorail, figure you were ready to kind of move in). Thus I am yet to this day sorry that I to rashly judged you. No hard feelings :)
    And I respect honestly more than such things as white knight! We all have issues that need some working with, me included.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    @Kattcattis

That's a very humble and mature response and I applaud you for it. Miaow.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    I think we've all had our fair share of angry, foul-mouthed punks ruining games for us. All I can say is just try to find a decent server that actually enforces rules, and hopefully they won't be around for very long. (Shameless plug: TacticalGamerNS :) )
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I get more silent troll comms than I get just rude people.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    :D <:-P

@IronHorse appears to have correctly diagnosed the issue. /thread
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    [intelligent stuff]

Possibly best first post 2013

Epic
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    Between the PT stacking teams thread and this one. Just imagine what Aus PTs must be like.......
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    PoNeH wrote: »
    Personally, the NS2 players community is nothing but a bunch of little punks. I swear, I've never played with so many assholes as I do in NS2. NS1 had the best community ever, which is the reason why I invested in the sequel.

The way you're acting here seems to explain why you think -everyone else- is a "punk".

BTT: One guy constantly complaining is enough to ruin a game for the others. I could name some of those, because it's always the same guys. I learned to ignore them or laugh about their bad mood.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't give up hope! Otherwise the terrorists win!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Current1ys post was making fun of Xao from the other thread. lol

PT Team too Stronk!
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    PT's stacking teams, isn't that like an oxymoron?.. Wouldn't that just make them loose faster?
    No, but it would make them lose faster.
    /grammar nazi exits the room

No no no no @IronHorse, @xDragon is correct, something would definitely end up being loose faster. ;)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    This thread has taken a dark turn.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Yet they look so friendly and gentle..
    australia.png

In all fairness, everybody in Masterchef Australia is always lovely, so maybe the game is partly to blame.
    MasterChef_Australia.jpg
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    ....... Tired forum mod keeping an eye on this topic
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think @IronHorse correctly diagnosed the issue though. Australian are generally much more abusive of each other than say Americans. They'll swear and insult you as a form of communication. Personally I think it's hilarious and love it, wouldn't change it.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I actually wound up on a server with Xao last night. If you've seen his posts here, you can guess what he's like in-game. But he's as much of a feature of the small Australian community as anyone else is. We all know him. He gets angry when he gets killed, we take the compliment with a laugh and keep playing. It's been a while since anyone has gotten angry back at him.

*shrugs* @Ghostthree3 has gotten to the heart of it. @TheOneStooge, apologies if that doesn't work for you.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    you just have to find a server with players that you like to play with.

when people start being like that and i cant hear the game sounds and they start screwing with my game i leave and find another server.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    I've only been a member of this community for a short while, but I have absolutely fallen in love with it.

However, I have noticed that there is a significant disconnect with how members of the community, of all skill levels, perceive their communication to one another in game. The constant use of modifying adverbs, such as here or there, provide almost no to little actual indication of you intended order. Far too often, people use the built in voice chat to request action from fellow players with vocal orders, such as:

-Come Here!
    -Weld me Here!
    -go there!

With mechanics, such as waypoints, these commands make sense and are useful, but with improper usage, it can create a negative overall feeling to the game. Players already working with tricky mechanics, are further being frustrated by improper communication and in some cases just general negativity("God, How hard can it be?").

This increases frustation on both sides. The request for assistance changes from: "Can anyone come weld me over in Data Core by the Extractor?" to " OMFG, get to the armory, buy a welder, and weld me over here." Frustration on the other side of the conversation ranges from, "WTH is an armory?", to "Where the Hell is here?" It seems that even the native English speakers forget that adverbs, pronouns used while many conversations are overlapping, can lead to a confusing conversation.

(Now, If your still with me after that, Thanks! I appreciate it. Here is where I make it relevant to the topic at hand)

The frustration of unclear communication, the increased auditory clutter of several people trying to talk over each other, and the panic unleashed by a Lerk trying to bite your face off, all combine to create an aggressive, and oppressive feeling during gameplay. This feeling can easily be mistaken for and added to pre-existing ass-hattery, trolling, and arrogant or rude behavior.

I find that the community as a whole is wonderful. If we could just take the time, to be clearer with our requests, and project a little more patience during the game, the community will find that these values will be in-grained in and adopted by new players, and current players moving foward.

Especially, because previous posts indicate that there are several active Admins, and players willing to enforce the recipe for cooperation outlined above.

Wolfy

NS1 had a number of features that need to make a return to NS2. "Weld Me", "Follow Me", and the "Hold Position" icons along with the others would help some of the communication issues. Anybody remember how nice these were? Also +1 for finding a good server community and getting to know the regs. That will increase your satisfaction with the game quite a bit.

• StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only server in Australia that ever really gets played on, Is Monash NS2.
    And It is the most Un-admined and least cared for server, I can understand admins have there lives etc and etc, But coming on at around 9pm? to check to see if everyone is alright and having fun since that is what gaming is about. That wouldn't completely wreck your night now would it?

As I stated It isn't a big issue, But some nights it just gets out of hand.. and there isn't anywhere else to go except combat servers. But all I wanna do is skulk it up and bite mutt.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @TheOneStooge Feel free to contact me on steam for any issues in the Monash servers.