Anyone else leaving because of Snobby players?

Comments

• TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    League of Legends is far worse.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Recommendation: Have mute text option
  • StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    Recommendation: Have mute text option

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I play with voicecomm disabled by default everywhere, it's really the only way i can stand playing pubs. If i enable it i will realise what kind of people i'm playing with and it just takes the fun out of the game. They will never follow the same principles as i do with voicecomm so why bother wasting your time on it. Just play as you want, you dont need a comm to tell you what to do to be beneficial to your team, or when to build rt's/pgs etc. Just use common sense.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The only server in Australia that ever really gets played on, Is Monash NS2.
    And It is the most Un-admined and least cared for server, I can understand admins have there lives etc and etc, But coming on at around 9pm? to check to see if everyone is alright and having fun since that is what gaming is about. That wouldn't completely wreck your night now would it?

As I stated It isn't a big issue, But some nights it just gets out of hand.. and there isn't anywhere else to go except combat servers. But all I wanna do is skulk it up and bite mutt.

Monash is probably the MOST cared for and admin'd server in Aus. In the last month alone, we have banned a significant number of people from monash. As us admins cant be on the servers every single night (we play competitively, cast games, and generally have social lives outside of ns as well), we do our best to patrol the servers. You have had 3 separate admins from monash come into this thread posting to show you support and tell you where to lodge your complaints, so suggesting it is the least cared for server is incorrect. We cant control the internet.

Let me reiterate: the best way to get trolls banned is to go the local website for servers in Aus : www.ausns2.org - from there, sign up to the forums, post in the feedback subforum, and if someone is being particularly abusive, bring up chat history with the console button, and take a screenshot, or if you want to record voice in game, thats fine too. Physical evidence is the quickest way to getting abusive trolls banned.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    @TheOneStooge There are multiple ways to address this if you so desire. Either privately, or publicly in our Monash feedback thread at ausns2.org. I don't see how complaining about it any further is getting anywhere.

@Ironhorse LOL
  • StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Wasn't complaining directly about the admins, But every time I'm on the server which would be maybe every 2nd day or third depending on work and other hobbies I have, I have hardly seen an Admin do anything. I might be wrong and it all may be going on in the "behind the scenes" and If so that is fantastic and I would admit I was wrong to declare it is the least cared for. I was just merely saying that occasionally there is a few people bending the rules to there own accord on the server at around Peek hours (when the server is full and people are lining up to join), And it encourages other players to Do the same and then you end up with the new people (I classify myself as still a rookie and still learning NS2 as the learning curve is big for me.) Fearing to stand out and well try to play. There commander is either favouring other soldiers with more skill then the lesser soldiers and it ruins the ego of the lesser Soldiers, or the professional players all go on one team and just Pound the other team which may be die to random or even just people wanting to play with there friends.

And I am fully aware that there is no Proper way to fix or solve these problems unless the internet wasn't the internet. But more trying to hint out to the people who feel that they are being pushed into the corner to speak up for themselves.

And as a regard to any Monash Administrators I have offended or implied that I meant any harm or negative comments to them, I apologise :s It wasn't what I was trying to get at.

@bonage
    @ghosthree3
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    I don't know why everyone is slamming League of Legends. From my experience, players in LoL are usually alright and would actually play out a game. Dota and HoN on the other hand... every game, people are raging. Sometimes even before the game has started.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, LoL players are cancerous teenage fucks. I've played about 6,000 games and have made it to Platinum II and can tell you, 9/10 games, someone is a raging faggot. Though it gets better at higher levels.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    We rarely bann people on our servers. Not even SandyClaws is banned. Why you may ask? Because I confused him with Santaclaws and I kept defending him when the others called for a ban. I was like: "Whaat? He always seemed to be a nice guy with a high skill level, maybe he's just having a bad day?".

Now that I know better, we just kick him anytime he says something stupid (approximately 90% of the time). He's sort of a running gag on the EU servers, I guess.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bicsum wrote: »
    We rarely bann people on our servers. Not even SandyClaws is banned. Why you may ask? Because I confused him with Santaclaws and I kept defending him when the others called for a ban. I was like: "Whaat? He always seemed to be a nice guy with a high skill level, maybe he's just having a bad day?".

Now that I know better, we just kick him anytime he says something stupid (approximately 90% of the time). He's sort of a running gag on the EU servers, I guess.

Hahaha yeah that had me going for a while, too! Poor Santaclaws :(
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Enjoy your free name and shame @Bicsum !
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    LoL community (just for the good laugh and lightning up the mood): :P
    cad-20110520-ae447.png
    cad-20120328-d2f00.png
    cad-20111118-c4620.png
    cad-20121217-208c5.png
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Bicsum wrote: »

Haha yes :D
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Although there is some truth in all of those comics...
    That third one is 100% accurate hahaha
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    You could always use the mute function and perma silence ze frakers! Or you could become a real man in the School of INTERNET MEN! YES! I totally didn't made that up! Hear what I did to give them the knuckle sandwich:

First: Think of a super hero, action hero, who sounds and acts tough. ( For Example, Uncle Arnold ) Not the old version, of course! You need T100 version :P

Second: Try to imitate him. ( Like voice, gestures and etc )

Third: Try to role play in an empty server. Think of your own cool phrases or use existing ones. ( 'You are funny. That's why I'm gonna kill you last!' or 'Let some steam!' or 'Game Over Man!' ) :)

Forth: When you feel confident enough in your English ( If you are not from a English speaking country ) and in yourself, then enter through the gates and start having fun!

Fifth: The haters will automatically shut the frak up, cause you'll be using the Frequency specter, known as speech or VoIP. So they'll have less opportunities to open their dirty mouths. *Caution talking for many hours may cause aches in the throat and in worst case scenario you won't be able to stop blah blah blah!*

Sixth: Doing this, if you sound funny in the right situations, the power of your voice will ease the tension in everybody's grey matter ( known as MAIN PROCESSOR UNIT DERP ( Remember that! ) ), thus leading to a more calm and friendlier games.

Seventh: Always be the white knight! Help the ponies in need, save the weak, be the moral in the server and remember: for reading this post you owe me 99.99$, so I'll be looking for you to take my MONEEYH!

7.1th: ????

8th: Profit!

And this concludes my lesson for today folks. Have a nice evening and die soft plz. I need to up my stats!
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    *falls to knees, looks up and spreads arms* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

note: I'm in Australia.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    This thread made me think of someone I played with earlier. I think his name was "!dave"? Or something very similar to that with "dave" in it. He even had a PAX badge.

You should've heard this guy commanding. Cursing a team almost full of green rookies, calling one guy dyslexic because he took 5 seconds to jump over a clog wall as a onos, constant shit talking about certain player skill, etc. It was just constant negativity the whole round coming out of this guys mouth. It was seriously cringe worthy and I felt embarrassed for him and the way he was acting.

It was hilarious at one point. He got so mad, he said GG over the mic as to say we lost and got out of the hive, then a minute later when our team started to regain map control because some people coordinating in text chat, he hops back in and starts on his temper tantrum again about how everyone sucks, yada yada.

Some people just take this game way too seriously. The best thing to do is just have a laugh at how ridiculous some people act over a game and find a new server.
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    edited November 2013
    I don't think snobby players is really a problem. The main problem is unbalanced teams. It's no fun being on a team that is gets totally stomped, and it gets old to be on the team that's doing the stomping. I really hope they get the skill based auto-balance into the game soon.

The most fun is when the teams are almost evenly matched.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    I don't think snobby players is really a problem. The main problem is unbalanced teams.

Meh I've got over 500h in ns2 and I've yet to get snobby at a player. I do get annoyed by poor players but I'll just keep it to myself as I think everyone should do. Nothing worse for team-morale then to call your team a hopeless sack of shit.
    Moaning about ain't helping your team in any way, either get out there and put up the good fight or go home!

Studies have shown that negative emotions decrease team efficiency by 76,34%.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Studies have shown that 37% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Where is all this awesome behaviour that i'm missing out on?! I never see people abusing people! THIS IS UNFAIR!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    delta78 wrote: »
    You could always use the mute function and perma silence ze frakers! Or you could become a real man in the School of INTERNET MEN! YES! I totally didn't made that up! Hear what I did to give them the knuckle sandwich:

First: Think of a super hero, action hero, who sounds and acts tough. ( For Example, Uncle Arnold ) Not the old version, of course! You need T100 version :P

Second: Try to imitate him. ( Like voice, gestures and etc )

Third: Try to role play in an empty server. Think of your own cool phrases or use existing ones. ( 'You are funny. That's why I'm gonna kill you last!' or 'Let some steam!' or 'Game Over Man!' ) :)

Forth: When you feel confident enough in your English ( If you are not from a English speaking country ) and in yourself, then enter through the gates and start having fun!

Fifth: The haters will automatically shut the frak up, cause you'll be using the Frequency specter, known as speech or VoIP. So they'll have less opportunities to open their dirty mouths. *Caution talking for many hours may cause aches in the throat and in worst case scenario you won't be able to stop blah blah blah!*

Sixth: Doing this, if you sound funny in the right situations, the power of your voice will ease the tension in everybody's grey matter ( known as MAIN PROCESSOR UNIT DERP ( Remember that! ) ), thus leading to a more calm and friendlier games.

Seventh: Always be the white knight! Help the ponies in need, save the weak, be the moral in the server and remember: for reading this post you owe me 99.99$, so I'll be looking for you to take my MONEEYH!

7.1th: ????

8th: Profit!

And this concludes my lesson for today folks. Have a nice evening and die soft plz. I need to up my stats!

I wouldve given you an awesome if you had stopped before the ponies
  • turtalturtal Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183035Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    The problem I've seen on gathers was arrogance tbh. I've played with some premier div players and fair is fair, most of them are nice people but there are some problematic ones.. When you see a player below your level you have two options. One, you can explain what's wrong with that move, kindly, or, you can start screaming immediately. Somehow, they expect a guy who just spent 150hr's tops in the game to play in their level. For instance, I remember, I was playing a gather on veil and going into a vent to chase a low lerk. It was on release so I didin't have much experience anyways, at that point (eiss or something, somebody was commanding) and he immediately started yelling at me for going into that vent. I'm not gonna go into details but there were some harsh words..

I told one thing; "positive reinforcement may help" (because I knew I was dealing with a guy who didin't mature mentally)
    his response was "well done for going into that vent you stupid retard" (oh I could tell from his voice, he was really pissed)

Team was doing badly and my move probably was the last straw so he decided ragequitting as a commander would be the most proper thing to do. And he did. This was probably my 2nd competitive match in NS2. It wasn't even a match, it was a gather. Where people meet to play some quality games and most importantly, have a good time! I didin't have a great time while he was yelling at me. I was a rookie at that time and this kind of attitute from a player who's beein in this community for ages put me off for a bit. Then I thought myself, why the fuck am I leaving the game for one lousy potty mouth who needs a girlfriend as soon as possible? Then I started playing again.. There was only one difference though, I wouldn't join the gathers eiss was on anymore (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). To be fair, I find myself raging at public games sometimes but then I remember this incident and behave, explain the situation calmly. If they're still not listening I just ignore them or find a better server.

I wouldn't suggest leaving the game for bunch of snobs. As cartman once said about chatroulette, "you need to get thru some dicks before you meet quality people". This is not call of duty so the people who play the game has a broader vision (at least that's the way I see it). Just be patient. You'll come across with some fine people eventually.
  • VVisdomVVisdom Rush, NY Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188948Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those types of players exist on all online games. Its the anonymity effect.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    VVisdom wrote: »
    Those types of players exist on all online games. Its the anonymity effect.

penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Yep, relevant in every online game ever.

I'd like to think that I'm generally polite and helpful, but I've definitely had bad days were I've gone off the deep end with some negative comments. I feel bad about it afterwards, but in the middle of a game where your the only player with a positive KDR and trying to communicate, it can be extremely frustrating.

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just went back and played a few rounds after a bit of a break and good God, the stacking is horrible. Virtually every server you go to has a bunch of players with badges stacking the same team and going 35-3... No wonder this game has a retention problem. If I were a new player getting stomped like that I'd probably just quit.

I don't even really understand the appeal. If you are a good player doesn't it feel better to play an even game and lead your team to victory? I don't see what is to be gained by racking up kills against people who have played like 3 hours of the game.
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Just went back and played a few rounds after a bit of a break and good God, the stacking is horrible. Virtually every server you go to has a bunch of players with badges stacking the same team and going 35-3... No wonder this game has a retention problem. If I were a new player getting stomped like that I'd probably just quit.

I don't even really understand the appeal. If you are a good player doesn't it feel better to play an even game and lead your team to victory? I don't see what is to be gained by racking up kills against people who have played like 3 hours of the game.

Yup... This is my reason. Hopefully something is done, but until then I'd rather not play.
    I see most people trying to suggest playing on other servers, There are not as many players as there are in america or Britain or other big name country's. I believe we have a smaller playerbase and everyone kind of clusters to one server or two at max.

Moral of that is. AU Ns2 is small, Not many servers, harder to go to another server.